Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Underrated companions?

AuthorMessage
Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Companions who just don't get the praise and love they deserve.

All of the magnificent 7 guys. Seriously. I need to say no more

All the Monquistian companions, seriously. I used the one through Sato's tower in a duo with my brother and he destroyed EVERYTHING that came in his way. The crossbowman is good, but the one thing I don't like about him is that he comes with return fire, my least favorite epic because are unlikely to miss. And the explorer... Oh word! He's so good I am even considering buying him on my . Mainly because I don't have a though I used to.

What are other companions that are underrated?

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I like the troggy witchdoctor. I have had him as a very powerful companion.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
Bosun Budd companion is very underrated. My Witchdoctor has him and he's an amazing tank capable of doing a ton of damage in Turn the Tide mode. Not to mention his Consume Starfish heals him a ton and he has high armor.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
darkmoordude on Jun 11, 2017 wrote:

All the Monquistian companions, seriously. I used the one through Sato's tower in a duo with my brother and he destroyed EVERYTHING that came in his way. The crossbowman is good, but the one thing I don't like about him is that he comes with return fire, my least favorite epic because are unlikely to miss. And the explorer... Oh word! He's so good I am even considering buying him on my . Mainly because I don't have a though I used to.

Agreed mate!

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

- Deadeye Edward Morgan

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

I'm beginning to think that my Nurse Quinn has been underrated by me. In a recent experiment on bed rest timers, she out performed Sarah Steele with her talent attacks ( nearly defeating a Stiletto Fish by herself! ) and was the last member of the team standing.*

* In that experiment I made no moves or gave orders, the purpose was to be defeated and see how long it took for the bed rest.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013

I so agree with you on underrated Companions, Darkmoordude!

L.O.L., yes, I think I ultra-underrate Nurse Quinn. Not that I'm going to stop underrating her, anyway...

I get her heal (even though I wish she was a Privateer to be honest; it suits her more), and she's nice. But I quickly threw her away when I got a better Companion and now she's in my Ship Cabin, mostly useful for her role-playing role as being the nurse if someone gets wounded from broadside combat.

Underrated. By far.

Lieutenant
Jan 23, 2011
I feel like ALL the animal companions (El Tiburon, Nikeeta, ect.) are underrated. I feel like that they are pretty good especially if you use the Beastmaster Banner.

So many people give Nurse Quinn and some of the other non-story (or just non-toro) Cool Ranch companions a bad rep. A lot of the Bisons are actually pretty useful. I do see some people use Lefty, but he is pretty good. Also a lot of people completely disreguard the Magnificent Seven companions and they can really do well in battle.

Personally I feel like every single companion can be used in some way other than just sending them on orders.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Steven Owlhunter on Jun 12, 2017 wrote:
I feel like ALL the animal companions (El Tiburon, Nikeeta, ect.) are underrated. I feel like that they are pretty good especially if you use the Beastmaster Banner.

So many people give Nurse Quinn and some of the other non-story (or just non-toro) Cool Ranch companions a bad rep. A lot of the Bisons are actually pretty useful. I do see some people use Lefty, but he is pretty good. Also a lot of people completely disreguard the Magnificent Seven companions and they can really do well in battle.

Personally I feel like every single companion can be used in some way other than just sending them on orders.
Yeah, Tiburon is a BEAST!

Literally

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Unfortunately, MOST companions are underrated. A random crew is the most fun, in my opinion, since there is that element of danger unless they step up.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Tonka our kimosabe

Does anyone give this absolute beast a credit

He completely undermines the generalisation that bison companions are terrible.

2 promotions! That's what I call a top tier companion!

His promotions make him look completely fresh! Unique art for a companion with no lines and little storyline involvement

Amazing epic pool to to crush the opposition!

His only con is that he comes with hold the line and that he isn't best suited to tanking in my opinion.

Tonka leaves me saying "Hoke He!"

Lieutenant
Jan 23, 2011
Willowydream on Jun 13, 2017 wrote:
Unfortunately, MOST companions are underrated. A random crew is the most fun, in my opinion, since there is that element of danger unless they step up.

I agree! I always have my crew on the random settings! I love collecting all the companions (I am at 134 companions right now, yes I know I have a problem) and with the settings for choosing my crew being on Random, I never know what cool combinations might pop up, and which ones might be pretty useful! A lot of times I get the same companion (I'm looking at you Argos) to show up in all the battles I do even if they aren't my firstmate (Still looking at Argos). I don't know if anybody else has this happen or if Argos just really like to get out and swing that hammer!

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014

Agreed on the magnificent 7.

In my opinion, Loius le Bisque seems to get underrated. So does, Ridolfo and Private Mills. I would have added Chantal to the list, but I know better (true story, I actually got into in argument in the game over her when someone tried to give her flack).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
You only have to look at the post "LEAST favorite companions" to see that a good majority of really great companions are being underrated.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
anecorbie on Jun 25, 2017 wrote:
You only have to look at the post "LEAST favorite companions" to see that a good majority of really great companions are being underrated.
Yeah, like Subodai (Fun fact: I had a mii of him on my 2DS, it just got deleted cause I needed repairs for the SD card, so 99% of my Miis got wiped)

Also, who IS your least favorite companion?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
darkmoordude on Jun 26, 2017 wrote:
Yeah, like Subodai (Fun fact: I had a mii of him on my 2DS, it just got deleted cause I needed repairs for the SD card, so 99% of my Miis got wiped)

Also, who IS your least favorite companion?
I actually only have one least liked companion - the Crazy Monquistador Crossbowman. But that doesn't mean I haven't used him in battle, trained or promoted him - if I had to use him, he's ready.
Post Edit: Oops, I forgot my most recent recruit - The Haywire Musketeer. I will never use him in battle, I hate the thought that I have one of those mechanical maniacs on my crew; I NEVER wanted a clockwork! ATM, he's decorating the wrecked clockwork ship at my Rake's Lagoon House, but when we update, he'll be on permanent Sailin' task.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
anecorbie on Jun 26, 2017 wrote:
I actually only have one least liked companion - the Crazy Monquistador Crossbowman. But that doesn't mean I haven't used him in battle, trained or promoted him - if I had to use him, he's ready.
Post Edit: Oops, I forgot my most recent recruit - The Haywire Musketeer. I will never use him in battle, I hate the thought that I have one of those mechanical maniacs on my crew; I NEVER wanted a clockwork! ATM, he's decorating the wrecked clockwork ship at my Rake's Lagoon House, but when we update, he'll be on permanent Sailin' task.
I guess he's like Bootleg Jacques now (If you don't get that reference, you can look it up, it's oddly hilarious)

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
You know, when Old Scratch's mojo buffs were released, everyone said he was underrated and now he is a favorite of many pirates! Before he got buffs, I had the nickname "Osteoporosis" for him. So I could be like

"Yo Osteoporosis! Go attack that guy!"

Call me insane, but now I kind of miss calling him that XP