Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Open chat

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Oct 28, 2012
Today I turned 18 and was very happy to be able to start using open chat. However, I do not know how to activate it or turn it on or whatever it is I have to do. Could someone help me with this little thing?

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Go to My Account - Parental Controls. Also, keep the following in mind;

*Open Chat - This is our most free chat. Also known as 18+ Chat, it is available only to accounts who's Date of Birth show 18 years of age or older, and requires a subscription purchased with a valid credit card. This system allows for anything to be said with the exception of certain chosen words that are filtered out (such as profanity). REMINDER: Just because you can say something, doesn't mean it's allowed. The Terms of Use apply to ALL chat levels!

Lieutenant
Oct 28, 2012
King Crimson on May 29, 2017 wrote:
Go to My Account - Parental Controls. Also, keep the following in mind;

*Open Chat - This is our most free chat. Also known as 18+ Chat, it is available only to accounts who's Date of Birth show 18 years of age or older, and requires a subscription purchased with a valid credit card. This system allows for anything to be said with the exception of certain chosen words that are filtered out (such as profanity). REMINDER: Just because you can say something, doesn't mean it's allowed. The Terms of Use apply to ALL chat levels!
Subscription purchased? So I need to have a membership to be able to use open chat? (also there wasn't anything new added to the parental controls, just the same four things.)

Ensign
Nov 08, 2015
gamerman129 on May 28, 2017 wrote:
Today I turned 18 and was very happy to be able to start using open chat. However, I do not know how to activate it or turn it on or whatever it is I have to do. Could someone help me with this little thing?
Here's a copy from one of my posts.

It doesn't matter that you turned 18 in real life, what really matters is when you made your account, and what age you put on it. For example, if you made an account on February 25, 2017 and you put the age as 15, then you would have to wait until February 25, 2020 to enable open chat, when your account would then be 18 years old. I suggest you look at when you made your account, and try to recall what age you put down on it. If you don't remember, I suggest emailing Kingsisle. If the option for open chat is not listed under the account options area, then you still have to wait. Buying a membership/crowns will not make it show up if you still have to wait.

HOWEVER, if you originally put down your age as 12 or younger when you made your account, then that account will NEVER get open chat. The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally.

If you put the age as at least 13, then it is simply a matter of waiting.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Because you haven't made a payment, I'd say. It says you need to make a payment in order to do it. Happy birthday!

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
I had originally thought that once you listed your age as being a minor, you were stuck that way forever, but I recently was able to change my account to open chat so....yay :D

Lieutenant
Oct 28, 2012
BrahmShadow on May 29, 2017 wrote:
Here's a copy from one of my posts.

It doesn't matter that you turned 18 in real life, what really matters is when you made your account, and what age you put on it. For example, if you made an account on February 25, 2017 and you put the age as 15, then you would have to wait until February 25, 2020 to enable open chat, when your account would then be 18 years old. I suggest you look at when you made your account, and try to recall what age you put down on it. If you don't remember, I suggest emailing Kingsisle. If the option for open chat is not listed under the account options area, then you still have to wait. Buying a membership/crowns will not make it show up if you still have to wait.

HOWEVER, if you originally put down your age as 12 or younger when you made your account, then that account will NEVER get open chat. The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally.

If you put the age as at least 13, then it is simply a matter of waiting.
Darn, my account was made October 12, 2012. Well, I've made it this far without it, I can certainly go forever if need be. Thx for info

Also thank you, Aurora, for that happy birthday

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
gamerman129 on May 30, 2017 wrote:
Darn, my account was made October 12, 2012. Well, I've made it this far without it, I can certainly go forever if need be. Thx for info

I'm more than mature enough to enable Open Chat - but I don't choose to use it. So many of my friends are either Text or Menu Chat that getting this would exclude them from my conversations. Plus you need to use a credit card on the KI site to open it; IMO, no web site is unhackable and I don't wish my card to be in danger.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Nobody has anything that good to say lol

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
gamerman129 on May 30, 2017 wrote:

You're absolutely welcome!

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on May 30, 2017 wrote:
I'm more than mature enough to enable Open Chat - but I don't choose to use it. So many of my friends are either Text or Menu Chat that getting this would exclude them from my conversations. Plus you need to use a credit card on the KI site to open it; IMO, no web site is unhackable and I don't wish my card to be in danger.
If you get open chat you can still communicate with all players

For menu chat you will have to use the menu chat

And for text chat some words are blurred

Your credit card can't be hacked if you don't save the details, your details should disappear after a good 15 mins if u dont save them