Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

pirate101 needs to go F2P

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Mar 10, 2015
Pirate101 has been a great game it's struggled and sort of came back. Despite what people may claim pirate101 membership has been dropping like mad, most of the servers are empty 100% of the time. Pirate101 has failed to attract many players do to its unique style. I believe king isle needs to go F2P if they want to survive pirate101. It does not matter how much content they produce there is not the game audience to support the game. If king isle went f2p the following would happen.

Make money on per download and ad seen rather then subscription. Every player would require to watch st least 10 2 min ads every week or would be unable to play. The game would feature all of its old content but would require special surveys to unlock new realms (pirate101, monkestia as whole, cool ranch as whole...) this would allow players to play with out being frustrated but allow king isle to make a lot of money and attract new players. This would allow pirate101 to create more content and with time (2-3 years) level with wizard101

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Um.. This may be an awkward question mate, but what is F2P?

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

- Deadeye Edward Morgan

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
Pirate101 has been a great game it's struggled and sort of came back. Despite what people may claim pirate101 membership has been dropping like mad, most of the servers are empty 100% of the time. Pirate101 has failed to attract many players do to its unique style. I believe king isle needs to go F2P if they want to survive pirate101. It does not matter how much content they produce there is not the game audience to support the game. If king isle went f2p the following would happen.

Make money on per download and ad seen rather then subscription. Every player would require to watch st least 10 2 min ads every week or would be unable to play. The game would feature all of its old content but would require special surveys to unlock new realms (pirate101, monkestia as whole, cool ranch as whole...) this would allow players to play with out being frustrated but allow king isle to make a lot of money and attract new players. This would allow pirate101 to create more content and with time (2-3 years) level with wizard101
No way, people would stop playing altogether if forced to watch ads & waste time doing surveys. Besides KI has spyware in place to track player trends.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
Petty Officer
Jul 13, 2013
Admiral
May 30, 2010

Forcing me to watch 20 minutes of ads per week would pretty much guarantee I drop the game like a hot potato. Unpleasant as it is to feel like P101 is KI's unwanted stepchild, something like that would pretty much ensure that is the position the Pirate would hold. The money I spend on P101 memberships (x3) would go to some other game, quite possibly not with KI at all. They certainly wouldn't get the crowns money from the 4th, non-member account.

I get it. It's annoying and frustrating to wait for new content, particularly when it seems like Wizard gets something new every quarter if not every other month. Punishing the die-hards who have stuck it out as you suggest (and that would be a punishment) would only net KI negative publicity.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
I hate to be that guy, (the one that reads an honest suggestion and feels the need to shoot it almost instantly without giving the poster the chance to defend their idea and will probably unnecessarily respond to every post made by the original poster stating in at best a passive-aggressive tone as to why they are wrong in a desperate attempt to shut them down and keep the game exactly as I like it, you know the type, really we all don't like that guy,) but I have to say this;

If KI decided and announced that they were to take on this business model, that would be the day that I cancelled all accounts that I'm currently paying monthly subscriptions for, stop purchasing crowns for all accounts, and uninstall this game forever.

Sorry to be that guy, but it had to be said.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
jack morgan933 on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

- Deadeye Edward Morgan
Free to Play, and not just the early parts of Skull Island but the entire game - no memberships, no buying zones.
Just watch adds and do surveys and if you don't feel like doing that; then you don't play at all, that's exactly what he is suggesting.

Ensign
Jun 14, 2013
"Every player would require to watch 10 2 min ads every week or would be unable to play."

I thought we want to attract players. This idea would most-likely even scare off existing players.

I could watch a whole YouTube video and come back to see the ads still running.

If I was a new player and I got locked into 20 minutes of ads, I wouldn't even watch 1 minute, I would look for another game, and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

How's about players are given the option to watch ads, and if they do they'll receive "100 crowns" OR "1000 gold (scaled with player's level)" for free and can do it again next week. (Players love to be rewarded)

Besides that, maybe add more crowns exclusive items (not re-skins mind you) like they've been pumping in Wizard101. Why? Because I know that in every MMO game, there's always those type of players who like to Bling (myself included)

As for the in-game purchases, there's already some Potions that'll aid in gameplay along with Henchmen to aid in tough battles. A useful option that desperate players would want to get but huge flaw, the game is pretty easy. The devs would have to ramp up the difficulty to make these items anymore viable (Simply making enemies start using talents at level 20 would suffice. Could be simple talents like Buffing their Agility, Strength, or Will).

And lets keep the Membership and remove the Pay Walls because besides getting locked out of zones, you couldn't access Ranked PvP and will have less inventory space than a member would. I would keep all the bonuses of having Membership and add: "gain 25% more Gold, Pet Timers reduced by 25%, Companions do tasks 25% faster, etc" Nothing to affect regular PvP though, just make the game slightly faster.

If we're going F2P, it's better to give players the Option to support instead of Forcing it down their throat, and still allow them to complete the game without paying a single cent (would be more challenging however but that adds to the fun).

Ensign
Jun 14, 2013
Huh, few seconds ago this thread was empty
Guess I was right about players leaving if there was 20 minute ad.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
im very sorry to seem salty or unsupportive, and though i highly admire the fact you are thinking as well as the bravery to post (late welcome from me to our message boards btw :3), but i highly dislike this..

i love how KI doesnt force us to "deal" with other company's advertisements, and i wouldnt enjoy it at all.. in fact the 6 yearly subs i pay for plus crowns as i feel the need or pure want, would be cancelled and eventually jen would be non-existant. This isnt a threat in any way nor do i think so highly of myself that it should feel that way, i'm just stating that for me especially i play games to ESCAPE from "real life" where there is always a scammer calling ya on your phone wasting your time and then begging you to pay them.. >.> I love to relax and play with or without friends online, think dream be silly.. freedom from daily stressful annoying strangers is a prized blessing for me..

though were you aware that KI has allowed the earning of 100 crowns a day by watching trusted ad videos or by playing trivia? it adds up and zone can then be bought that cover large chunks of areas, sometimes half of a world or so.. I know many people that do not sub member BECAUSE they love this game so much, they want to fully own every piece of it.. with your suggestion they'd kinda feel like they were paying twice :/ many contests are available often via fansite to earn crowns for zone-buying, and if you are wanting member for pvp, is 7$ really that much? a one-time lunch combo at Burger King or a month of enjoying Pirate101 to its fullest?

many that are ftp still choose trivia over ad videos.. might be they hate it too?

hugs and cookies though.. thank you for posting your idea and please dont be shy to post any others, its not a bad idea, just in my opinion not the right option for KI games <3

stormy jen silver

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
jack morgan933 on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

- Deadeye Edward Morgan
F2P = Free to Play, which Pirate101 already is. You can reach quite a bit of Skull Island without paying a nickel.Granted, Free-to-Play players cannot upgrade from a Raft, but they can do several quests, acquire pets and train them, access Bestia and Devilfish Hollow, fight ships in the skyway, etc.

I agree, though, with those who suggest that forcing all players to watch ads would be the death-blow for the game. I've been a subscriber since Day One, and even if it is a Cinderella (unloved magical stepchild) game to Wizard101, it still has a chance without subjecting anyone to intrusive and annoying advertising simply so others can play for free.

It's worth more than that.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
anecorbie on Mar 19, 2017 wrote:
Free to Play, and not just the early parts of Skull Island but the entire game - no memberships, no buying zones.
Just watch adds and do surveys and if you don't feel like doing that; then you don't play at all, that's exactly what he is suggesting.
Ah I see, thank ye Fair Lass.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

- Deadeye Edward Morgan

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Wizard didn't start out as it is now, and maybe was lucky to happen during the craze for Harry Potter. Still it had drop offs after the majority got done with questing. It got quieter there while waiting for CL and ZF. But they had crafting, house decorating and pvp, and later, pets and gardening to give people things to do in game while waiting for new content.
I hope the new Pirates of C movie will help spur interest. An ad would help too. Right now, if you aren't questing, you can pvp, morph pets and decorate houses. Some other side activity that would be attractive to people who aren't into pvp (pet or pirate) might help. If Pirate can hang on during these growing pains, I bet we will get other activities that keep us busy.
One flaw I see in the ads idea is, who wants to advertise on a site with few viewers? They have ads you can view for crowns as an option, but there seem to be less than there used to be. If the ads were required, it would drive some away. I bet there are many parents who like that their kids are not having to see ads.
In some ways, Wizard seems to be more social than Pirate. Wizards chat a lot, even in fights, go visiting houses, and help new players, answering questions, showing them around, and helping lower levels in fights. From the beginning, pirates seem to be more focused on the fights, less so on chat and even strategy. I know that doesn't describe everyone; I've met the Blesser and Ancorbie in the game. Maybe if we put out more of a welcome to new and low level players, it might help. Leave your high level crew on the ship, grab a low level weapon and clothes, and go help someone.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010

I would quit a game that shoved ads up on my face.

Petty Officer
Mar 10, 2015
Are you kissing me how ungrateful you players are. My suggestion means to loose 20 min of time out of your 24 x 7 time that I proposed. Just set the ads on and leave for lunch. This would give you free 1 week membership. You claim this would make you quit? Go ahead drop your 16 usd a month.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 22, 2017 wrote:
Are you kissing me how ungrateful you players are. My suggestion means to loose 20 min of time out of your 24 x 7 time that I proposed. Just set the ads on and leave for lunch. This would give you free 1 week membership. You claim this would make you quit? Go ahead drop your 16 usd a month.
All right, I'll bite -- I'm just going to ask how being willing to pay for the game makes us ungrateful?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Your opening post also included "special surveys", I don't know about you or other players but I don't want to spend time filling out a survey. Most surveys ask for personal information which I don't wish to give out on the Internet. You don't indicate if these surveys are from KI or from the supposed advertisers providing the 20 min. of adds per week. KI is safe but no site is fully un-hack-able.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I forgot to mention this: when KI was first using the "watch adds for Crowns" feature most of those adds required you to click an acknowledgement after watching, so there would be no "let adds run while you walk away and do something else".
Advertisers want value for money spent, this means having an audience for their adds.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Gladly. This is after all, like all video games, a luxury item that we as consumers indulge in voluntarily.

The whole point of a paid subscription is to avoid ad-based gameplay like the plague.

Besides, theoretically there is already a means for people to unlock each world without opening their wallets via freekigames daily quizzes and the earn crowns button in game. Which in the long run would be so mind-numbingly boring that one would forget why they were watching the same ad 60 times in a row.

I commend you for thinking up ways to gather more players, however this is not the path to take young grasshopper.

Also, being ungrateful is having access a truckload of content that will take you months to get through and yet feel compelled to whine, gripe and complain about a lack of fresh content whilst refusing to offer anything in return. Even you said you wouldn't sit there for the ads. So who's really being ungrateful?

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
"ungrateful"
I'm sorry if I'm going off as rude, but, I don't understand anything of your logic.
Plus, in order to get crowns for the free video crown deal, you have to do through ads, so you couldn't just go "oh, set ads, and I'm set!" No. Plus, I have a life, I don't have 24 x 7 to play this game, I'm against any advertisements in-game, I've quit multiple games due to it, one last thing, If I was "ungrateful" why would I give 10$ a month to this game?

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
Many others have shared their opinions on this, but I thought I would give mine. Add revenue is not known for bringing in that much money unless in large quantities, which pirate already gets with the membership. Even though the amount of members is an undisclosed amount, I assume that it is currently a decent amount. A move like this would also seem a bit sellout-y of KI since you would have to take an annoying survey or watch an add to play.

Also, board moderators, thank you for letting the original post go through. Most companies would typically not let the idea of a change in money making ways go onto public message boards, so I applaud you for letting this go through so the community can have this conversation. - proceeds to clap -

That's all I have to say, thank you for reading, and see you in the spiral.

Petty Officer
Mar 10, 2015
When I said survey I did not mean a 3 hour survey but something like 10 mins without personal info. For the ads king isle would bundle them into 1 movie that lasts 20 mins.,you would not need to confirm 20 times and is pointless as you said. Btw this way king isle would earn a lot more money.

16 Usd is membership. Most 2 min ads pay 1 Ś, so you watching 10 = 10 a week, and a month has 4 = 40 rather then 16. This means you can make more content without you as player paying a cent. When game use this model they make millions. Pay to win or pay to play models died long ago and most games now know this.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 23, 2017 wrote:
When I said survey I did not mean a 3 hour survey but something like 10 mins without personal info. For the ads king isle would bundle them into 1 movie that lasts 20 mins.,you would not need to confirm 20 times and is pointless as you said. Btw this way king isle would earn a lot more money.

16 Usd is membership. Most 2 min ads pay 1 Ś, so you watching 10 = 10 a week, and a month has 4 = 40 rather then 16. This means you can make more content without you as player paying a cent. When game use this model they make millions. Pay to win or pay to play models died long ago and most games now know this.
Yes, but this would be forcing people to watch ads. The reason membership is working is because it brings in an audience. While yes, advertising may earn more money, the amount of people who would be driven away by this would make it a income loss instead of an income boost.

Pirate101 is an amazing, but sadly, amazing things aren't free.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 23, 2017 wrote:

Please forgive me when I point out as to terms for surveys, that you will not be in control of that decision. Have you ever done a pop quiz or exam in school? Do you know how ten minutes drags when you're not doing something fun?
Also, most surveys do ask for personal information as: age, income, education, own a home or rent? ( demographics ) They will also ask if you've bought their product in the past or for your general spending habits.
( Gee, who knew that a single semester in Critical Thinking, Psychology and Advertising would come in handy! )