Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The in-game social interaction test

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 28, 2016
Hello to all the pirates out there, I did a social interaction test with random pirates at Avery's court, for example I asked a nice pirate to show me where the snowman is at and he actually helped me. Then there's some negative pirates I asked some pirates to help me with a small quest and they usually say a big N O, those pirates are done with the game and are just standing there literally just standing there doing nothing. I encourage the pirates done with the game to help the pirates that need help or a pirate that needs help and is a lower level then you to make there experience fun. I am still doing random tests on people but its random, so just try to be nice!

P.S. I was a member since 2013 this is my second account, so yeah.....................Have a nice day/night or what ever the is time where you're at.
So bizarre.
Sincerely,
Wow so Important? So intelligent?
Dark Orlando Freeman the Third of Pirate101
So sciencey? I don't know (or do I)?

Oh so deep.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
happywheel100 on Dec 19, 2016 wrote:
Hello to all the pirates out there, I did a social interaction test with random pirates at Avery's court, for example I asked a nice pirate to show me where the snowman is at and he actually helped me. Then there's some negative pirates I asked some pirates to help me with a small quest and they usually say a big N O, those pirates are done with the game and are just standing there literally just standing there doing nothing. I encourage the pirates done with the game to help the pirates that need help or a pirate that needs help and is a lower level then you to make there experience fun. I am still doing random tests on people but its random, so just try to be nice!

P.S. I was a member since 2013 this is my second account, so yeah.....................Have a nice day/night or what ever the is time where you're at.
So bizarre.
Sincerely,

Oh so deep.
Welcome to the Message Boards, Dark Orlando! Hmm, I wonder if you've posted before on your other accounts? And do I know you?
This is a great social experiment you're conducting.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Were a lot of the pirates that helped you low level and the ones that didn't high level? I have found low level pirates are typically more nice and helpful, though this isn't always true. I guess it may have to do that low levels need more help thus they are more helpful, of course I have run into a few high levels that were nice and helpful so this isn't always true.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I think it depends on the level of dungeon you ask a max level to "help" you with: many of us get asked to help with really low level dungeons - the pirates are just using us to speed through it. We do the "work" and they hang back, then claim the rewards.
This is their attitude, "you're max level & have nothing to do; so let me use you to get exp without working for it."
I will, however, help those on the tougher dungeons, like General Tso.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009

So bizarre.
Sincerely,

Oh so deep.
I'm sorry, but your little experiment doesn't take into account the following:

1) High level pirates who are willing to help lower levels may actually be helping lower levels rather than hanging around Avery's Court.

2) You had already labeled them "nice" and "negative" so they were predisposed to give you the result you anticipated.

Happy Holidays!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Dec 19, 2016 wrote:
I'm sorry, but your little experiment doesn't take into account the following:

1) High level pirates who are willing to help lower levels may actually be helping lower levels rather than hanging around Avery's Court.

2) You had already labeled them "nice" and "negative" so they were predisposed to give you the result you anticipated.

Happy Holidays!

Even if they're hanging around Avery's Court, this doesn't mean "they're doing nothing".
1. they could be waiting for a team-up.
2. they could be waiting in a Ranked PVP queue.
Even if they don't have anything to do, they're under no obligation to help you just because you asked. I've had my generous spirit abused before by those who see me as an easy way to get through a quest line. And not just one quest or dungeon; they expect me to be their servant/slave through several instances. Hunting ships, too.
Stop labeling max levels as mean if they refuse to help you.

Ensign
Sep 28, 2016
Basically of what I was saying, There're a lot of high leveled pirates that reject or ignore low levelers. Its kinda messed up because, well they have nothing else to do but PVP, farming, talking, the new nautical challenge, and I really don't know what else the new high level pirates do (since I made 65 at early 2014 and made 70 in September but then got the account removed or something). But I do say this, many of the pirates I have helped at level 65 really appreciated it and they became level 65 at the time or probably level 70 by now. But I think that it can encourage pirates to think about others instead of them self if a high leveler can help them and ask them to help other pirates when they are a higher level. If you think about it, it's kinda like age in real life, for example you ask a elder for some wisdom or you ask your parent(s) or guardian(s) for some help with something or just some random advice. Also to add to that first summary, I remember somewhere in pirate101, one of the fan sites, or kingsisle's youtube I remember that some said or wrote that when you do your storyline quest it teaches you to become even more and more giving than being selfish, even though you are looking for Marco Pollo's map the quest you do on the way where good deeds, your helping a virtual world fight against evil for crying out loud. In conclusion it is important to keep helping pirates or the the pirate101 community might just die out one day if we don't help one another.

P.S. sorry for all the commas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Woah Random quoteswoopy ding ding Yowzars Boats
Wow I lost something Doge Ah Shizzle to the Nizzle

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
happywheel100 on Dec 21, 2016 wrote:
Basically of what I was saying, There're a lot of high leveled pirates that reject or ignore low levelers. Its kinda messed up because, well they have nothing else to do but PVP, farming, talking, the new nautical challenge, and I really don't know what else the new high level pirates do (since I made 65 at early 2014 and made 70 in September but then got the account removed or something). But I do say this, many of the pirates I have helped at level 65 really appreciated it and they became level 65 at the time or probably level 70 by now. But I think that it can encourage pirates to think about others instead of them self if a high leveler can help them and ask them to help other pirates when they are a higher level. If you think about it, it's kinda like age in real life, for example you ask a elder for some wisdom or you ask your parent(s) or guardian(s) for some help with something or just some random advice. Also to add to that first summary, I remember somewhere in pirate101, one of the fan sites, or kingsisle's youtube I remember that some said or wrote that when you do your storyline quest it teaches you to become even more and more giving than being selfish, even though you are looking for Marco Pollo's map the quest you do on the way where good deeds, your helping a virtual world fight against evil for crying out loud. In conclusion it is important to keep helping pirates or the the pirate101 community might just die out one day if we don't help one another.

P.S. sorry for all the commas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Woah Random quoteswoopy ding ding Yowzars Boats
Wow I lost something Doge Ah Shizzle to the Nizzle
Don't even try to guilt me into helping low levelers. Just because "we have nothing to do" doesn't mean that we must help you. Some low levelers need to grow a spine and face those dungeons just as most of us high levelers did - solo. Did you think I was born high leveled? I've had my share of defeats, but you know what? I went back in and tried again - and I didn't run for help at the first set back.
I've soloed 98% of this game ( and I wasn't one of those players with the best gear. There wasn't even a team-up option in the game until recently.); there were only 2 dungeons I felt I needed help with - the Hydra & The Great Machine.
With a Kiosk, pirates could decide voluntarily whether to help or not.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Dark Orlando I think I just ran into you in Brawlin' Hall. Did you ask a Two-Faced pirate how you get the Stay Frosty badge?

Ensign
Sep 28, 2016
anecorbie on Dec 22, 2016 wrote:
Don't even try to guilt me into helping low levelers. Just because "we have nothing to do" doesn't mean that we must help you. Some low levelers need to grow a spine and face those dungeons just as most of us high levelers did - solo. Did you think I was born high leveled? I've had my share of defeats, but you know what? I went back in and tried again - and I didn't run for help at the first set back.
I've soloed 98% of this game ( and I wasn't one of those players with the best gear. There wasn't even a team-up option in the game until recently.); there were only 2 dungeons I felt I needed help with - the Hydra & The Great Machine.
Palm to the Face, sigh, I had to do almost the same thing as you (this is coming from a privateer that completed the game twice), but what I am trying to say is that It's good to help and keep the Pirate101 community healthy and growing by helping the lower level pirates that need help like if they did the same quest or dungeon 100 time or something. Plus it just shows that you are a noble person on the inside. And really what else do you have to do instead of helping your self P.S. Do a Good Turn Daily AND Be Prepared

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Dec 22, 2016 wrote:
I agree a Team-Up Kiosk is desperately needed for the Pirate side of the Spiral.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
happywheel100 on Dec 22, 2016 wrote:
Palm to the Face, sigh, I had to do almost the same thing as you (this is coming from a privateer that completed the game twice), but what I am trying to say is that It's good to help and keep the Pirate101 community healthy and growing by helping the lower level pirates that need help like if they did the same quest or dungeon 100 time or something. Plus it just shows that you are a noble person on the inside. And really what else do you have to do instead of helping your self P.S. Do a Good Turn Daily AND Be Prepared
I have helped very many through this game, friends and strangers, low levels and not so low levels ( I have also received very generous help through these boards when I was in pursuit of the Master of Moo Badge ). I was protesting the appearance of entitlement to assistance simply because I'm max level and therefore have nothing better to do. Oh, BTW, I may have plenty to do, you have no right to judge that.

You haven't addressed the fact that "helping" is a two way street ; when you ask for help, you're asking someone to give up time spent in play, maybe they had plans ( or may be not ). Appreciate the fact that someone does want to help you - and don't expect them to do everything while you reap the rewards, also, don't demand that they stay helping you for every part of the quest line. And don't delete someone after they've helped you ( as I've read on these boards as having happened. )

An occasional "thank you" is always nice.
Social Interaction works both ways.

Admiral
May 30, 2010

So bizarre.
Sincerely,

Oh so deep.
How do you know they're done with the game? Maybe they hit max and stopped, waiting for new material to be released so they don't lose their XP. Maybe they are focused on morphing, or are concentrating on getting exactly the right look to their homes. Maybe they are waiting for a friend to meet up with them before they go farming for nautical equipment. Maybe they're waiting for someone else they'd offered to help to meet up with them before they go do that pirate's quest. Or perhaps they are getting ready to wind down for the moment, because they are doing real life stuff with real live people. You can't know why they said no.

My privateer, like my high level life wizard over in the other game, is often asked for help. If you'd run into me I'd have told you the same thing I tell those lower-level wizards/pirates -- I'll help you if I have time, but all I'll do is heal (and buff for the privateer) so you can earn your XP. Sure, if the battle's going badly for them (we all have runs of bad luck) I might take out some of the lesser threats, but a pirate deserves to beat the big bad boss on his own if he can, not have a big brother/big sister take over the fight.

Ensign
Aug 29, 2011
I did my own test and here's what I got
Level 1-5 they normally have an open heart and will help the problem is there normally so weak they can really help
6-10 there the ones that think it's an easy game because they haven't got the the hard part of the game they normally will not accept help
11-15 they like to look for low level players they can help keep it up guys
16-20 they whant to get better really bad they will go to extremes to get better this includes spamming for help, leaching of higher level players gold and speed running I don't nomally enjoy these guys
21-30 you don't nomally see these guy their on quests most of the time
31-40 there cool half time questing halftime helping I like these guys
41-50 you meet these guys in mooshu they take there time on quest and don't have much down time
51-60 these guys are shooting for Valencia 2 there like 16-20 guys but do it clean and fair
61-65 they are fun you will find them in the sparing chamber they nomally are up to a pvp match
70 these dudes are wild cards they can be nice or flat out jerks
Remember these don't apply to every one but this is most people according to my tests
Good hunting noble William Jackson level 70 privateer

Admiral
May 30, 2010
EMSBIGBRO on Dec 24, 2016 wrote:
I did my own test and here's what I got
Level 1-5 they normally have an open heart and will help the problem is there normally so weak they can really help
6-10 there the ones that think it's an easy game because they haven't got the the hard part of the game they normally will not accept help
11-15 they like to look for low level players they can help keep it up guys
16-20 they whant to get better really bad they will go to extremes to get better this includes spamming for help, leaching of higher level players gold and speed running I don't nomally enjoy these guys
21-30 you don't nomally see these guy their on quests most of the time
31-40 there cool half time questing halftime helping I like these guys
41-50 you meet these guys in mooshu they take there time on quest and don't have much down time
51-60 these guys are shooting for Valencia 2 there like 16-20 guys but do it clean and fair
61-65 they are fun you will find them in the sparing chamber they nomally are up to a pvp match
70 these dudes are wild cards they can be nice or flat out jerks
Remember these don't apply to every one but this is most people according to my tests
Good hunting noble William Jackson level 70 privateer
How big is your sample? Is it evenly distributed among all the various levels you've broken down? And does everyone suddenly, at level 16, turn into a speed runner? How do they leech gold from the high levels?

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
Sorry but if i don't feel like it, then i am not helping anyone. if its a hard dungeon or an annoying defeat and collect then maybe i'll help you out. but you're not entitled to my help, even if i really dont have anything to do P.S there are lots of things max lvls could be doing while "standing around" avery's court.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Okay, (not delving into the argumentative side of this) But...as a real world biologist, turned meteorologist, there are a few questions I have for both HappyWheel100 and EmsBigBro regarding your social experiments.
1) What steps did you take to avoid experimental bias? (unknowingly setting up a test to get results you expect)
2)What were the sample sizes?
3)At what times of the day did you hold the experiments, did you test at different times and on different days?
4)How did you keep your test selection random? Was it based on a random number generator or something else? (How did you pick the test subjects?)
5)Did you visit other worlds or did you restrict yourself to Avery's Court only?
6)How persistent were you in asking for help?
7)Did you ask for help using players of different levels, gender, and appearance?
8)Did you have a control group? (to make sure your very presence wasn't altering results)

Now, I could go on with even more questions, but I think these are enough for now.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Something to remember is that asking for help is just that, asking

It's either a yes or no and sometimes people are busy

I used to go on a lot of Moo Runs with random players at one point so I had to gather players, and sometimes they were going to leave or were pet morphing etc.

This really is the same as asking for help but from a Max asking a Max you actually get a proper response

I used to make sure I would always talk to low level players, but they usually say they can get me free crowns, want to "trade" doubloons and they can be rude so I don't bother

It's a minority that ruin it for the majority, the point is that there are a lot of max level pplaaaye

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2013
Okay everyone, it's time to chill and calm down, no more arguements and please stop fighting. If this gets worst in anyway, I wish for Kingsisle to close this post so no one may continue fighting here. If you wish to argue and fight your little pirate hearts out, do it in game where no one needs to see and read this stuff.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Merciless Richard ... on Jan 19, 2017 wrote:
Okay everyone, it's time to chill and calm down, no more arguements and please stop fighting. If this gets worst in anyway, I wish for Kingsisle to close this post so no one may continue fighting here. If you wish to argue and fight your little pirate hearts out, do it in game where no one needs to see and read this stuff.
I very much agree here.
I kinda like the idea of the experiment, and am willing to provide help if anyone wants to run it again with proper planning and such, to see if results are the same.

But this thread seems to have devolved into a petty agument how the game should be played.

Yes, its good, nice, and helpful to help others. But you also shouldn't expect or demand help from everybody you meet, simply because it's what you want or would do.

(My previous post which seems to have been buried was meant to be helpful, not judgmental)

Administrator
Unfortunately this thread got off-topic and began to break our message board rules: https://www.pirate101.com/forum/messageBoard/codeOfConduct/free_game

If the topic resurfaces again, please remember to keep the discussion civil and free of personal attacks.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*