Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Idea: Arena

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Dont know if it's been suggested or not already, but here goes anyway...

This is a feature I love in traditional rpg's, an arena! This would be pve, not pvp.

There could be different kinds of battles, like 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 4 vs 4 and probably can dig more ideas there, but you get the big picture.

There would be several ranks of battle, with different levels, so even low level pirates can give it a go..

We could earn rewards for beating x number of battles in a row, or even for just a single, challenging battle.

I'm aware there is Smuggler's arena, but this would be different. Maybe rewards would be pieces of equipment, gold, crafting ingredients (for the future?) instead of Smuggler's scrips.

I think it might keep many people occupied if rewards are worth it and not abusable (like make certain rewards one time only if it's lets say a powerful piece of equipment).

At least you can do this on your own and no need to look for a party, but there could be team battles too, why not :)

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
This intrigues me, so I'm all up for this idea.

However, I have a feeling that this is going to have to act like a practice PVP but with henchmen instead of opposing players for it to work.

Petty Officer
May 12, 2012
Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Thanks for the support :)

I'd like to add, lore-wise it would be ideal the arena is located in Aquila. But since it's supposed to be accessible to all there would be an "entrance building" in Skull Island.

People could pay an entry fee for some gold, then they get transported to Aquila in a secluded zone where the arena is, that way low level pirates dont have access to the rest of Aquila.

After your battle or serie of battles, win or lose you get taken back to Skull Island.

Entry fee is mostly for a gold sink, since we lack them... but it makes sense lore-wise too.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
We have an Arena: Smuggler's Arena which can be bought in the Crown's Shop for like 7500 Crowns.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Nightblood1995 on Oct 16, 2016 wrote:
We have an Arena: Smuggler's Arena which can be bought in the Crown's Shop for like 7500 Crowns.
Did you even read my post? I just explained it's totally different.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Silver Angel on Oct 17, 2016 wrote:
Did you even read my post? I just explained it's totally different.
I did read it, and I still stand by what I said. It's not totally different, you can still buy Gear, Pets, and I believe Ship Equipment (probably just the Captain's Quarters at the moment) with Scrip. What you're proposing is no different, and by making 'Limited' powerful gear that'd break a lot of things in the game, not to mention give too many people an unfair advantage. Take away the 'Limited' tag and all you have is another Smuggler's Arena.

Arena sounds more like a PvP thing to me anyways, and we already have Battle Royale. And Arena Dungeon type deal wouldn't necessarily be wise either, considering how easy it is to go from round to round for some classes while it'd be ridiculously difficult for others. In other words, it wouldn't be fair for all classes.

Now if they made Seasonal Arenas (with the same core concept as the Smuggler's Arena) then that'd be interesting. A Halloween Arena where you face off against the ghouls of the night, a Christmas Arena where you fend off Jack Frost's evil snowman army, a New Year's Arena where you go back in time and fight waves of previous Bosses (both mini and main) you've erased from the game, etc. But another Arena just for Gear or Pets or whatnot just sounds like another Dungeon/copy of the Smuggler's Arena. Plus Scrip can become valuable as updates roll out, we'll never know until then.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Nightblood1995 on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
I did read it, and I still stand by what I said. It's not totally different, you can still buy Gear, Pets, and I believe Ship Equipment (probably just the Captain's Quarters at the moment) with Scrip. What you're proposing is no different, and by making 'Limited' powerful gear that'd break a lot of things in the game, not to mention give too many people an unfair advantage. Take away the 'Limited' tag and all you have is another Smuggler's Arena.

Arena sounds more like a PvP thing to me anyways, and we already have Battle Royale. And Arena Dungeon type deal wouldn't necessarily be wise either, considering how easy it is to go from round to round for some classes while it'd be ridiculously difficult for others. In other words, it wouldn't be fair for all classes.

Now if they made Seasonal Arenas (with the same core concept as the Smuggler's Arena) then that'd be interesting. A Halloween Arena where you face off against the ghouls of the night, a Christmas Arena where you fend off Jack Frost's evil snowman army, a New Year's Arena where you go back in time and fight waves of previous Bosses (both mini and main) you've erased from the game, etc. But another Arena just for Gear or Pets or whatnot just sounds like another Dungeon/copy of the Smuggler's Arena. Plus Scrip can become valuable as updates roll out, we'll never know until then.
I like this idea of Seasonal Arenas. Please expand on what you would like to see in another post. And I agree, we don't need what's basically a copy of Smuggler's Arena/Moo Tower Gauntlet.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
anecorbie on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
I like this idea of Seasonal Arenas. Please expand on what you would like to see in another post. And I agree, we don't need what's basically a copy of Smuggler's Arena/Moo Tower Gauntlet.
By 'another post' do you mean you'd like me to make a new post about this or just continue with it here? Sorry, this is the first time someone's asked me to expand upon a comment I've made on here lol

Then again I've taken the time to mature and wash the salt out of my system when it comes to most games nowadays, and I can see how my comments years ago would've given me a negative vibe. Anyways, I can make another post about this but I also don't want to take the OP's thunder either. He's the one who brought up the idea, all I did was flesh it out a bit.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
By 'another post' do you mean you'd like me to make a new post about this or just continue with it here? Sorry, this is the first time someone's asked me to expand upon a comment I've made on here lol

Then again I've taken the time to mature and wash the salt out of my system when it comes to most games nowadays, and I can see how my comments years ago would've given me a negative vibe. Anyways, I can make another post about this but I also don't want to take the OP's thunder either. He's the one who brought up the idea, all I did was flesh it out a bit.
New post, Nightblood, otherwise it's "hijacking". Sorry I wasn't clear.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014

Smuggler isnt free and isnt available to all levels, plus you likely need a team.

I know, it's soloable, but not for your average player.

About classes, well there could be prizes that are obtainable by certain classes only, so you'd need to use different classes for the prizes you want.

Battle formats would also be different, as I said there could be 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 etc... fighting human opponents with many skills (like henchmen for example) would be a nice twist.

It's just an idea to occupy players, personally I havent played in a while because there's no activity that interests me.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Silver Angel on Oct 19, 2016 wrote:
Smuggler isnt free and isnt available to all levels, plus you likely need a team.

I know, it's soloable, but not for your average player.

About classes, well there could be prizes that are obtainable by certain classes only, so you'd need to use different classes for the prizes you want.

Battle formats would also be different, as I said there could be 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2 etc... fighting human opponents with many skills (like henchmen for example) would be a nice twist.

It's just an idea to occupy players, personally I havent played in a while because there's no activity that interests me.
Allow me to rephrase: Swashbucklers and Buccaneers are going to have a far easier time than Witchdoctors and Musketeers. Reason being is because Buccs and Swashes are very heavily focused on burst-damage while Witches and Muskets take a lot longer due to doing less damage and having to put more emphasis on their Companions (which means if a Companion dies they lose a vital offensive tool for the future waves).

It isn't free, yes, but there are also many ways to earn Crowns for free nowadays. You have the Quizzes (which net you 100 Crowns a day), the in-game Videos, and now KI's phone game app. Or if you necessarily have to buy Crowns, wait until they go on Sale and get the 60k for $60. It's well worth it, trust me I've been a faithful contribution to KI ever since Wizard101 came out.

Technically speaking, every battle would always be 4v4 (you have to include Companions), though I don't think we've had many instances lately that involved taking on other Pirates, so there's a good idea.

I recommend getting into Hatching, it only takes a few moments a day (since your pet takes forever to level up once it hits like mid-way) and it's a relatively easy side-task you can do. Also, put your Companions on Orders and claim whatever they give you per day that way you don't fall behind in the future.

I agree Smuggler's isn't entirely soloable for those that are still pretty new to the game and playstyle, however that's a skill that comes with practice and anyone who's dead set on soloing will accomplish that goal no matter their class. I've YET to need a team for any part of the game, the only times I fail is when I'm in a super hard dungeon for the first time and have to think on the fly (Moo Manchu). If I'm defeated, I know what to expect and always succeed on my second go (because I'm more prepared). Same mindset is needed for soloing Smuggler's.

A good idea, though implementation will be very difficult if not sketchy. There needs to be more details included.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Nightblood1995 on Oct 19, 2016 wrote:
Allow me to rephrase: Swashbucklers and Buccaneers are going to have a far easier time than Witchdoctors and Musketeers. Reason being is because Buccs and Swashes are very heavily focused on burst-damage while Witches and Muskets take a lot longer due to doing less damage and having to put more emphasis on their Companions (which means if a Companion dies they lose a vital offensive tool for the future waves).

It isn't free, yes, but there are also many ways to earn Crowns for free nowadays. You have the Quizzes (which net you 100 Crowns a day), the in-game Videos, and now KI's phone game app. Or if you necessarily have to buy Crowns, wait until they go on Sale and get the 60k for $60. It's well worth it, trust me I've been a faithful contribution to KI ever since Wizard101 came out.

Technically speaking, every battle would always be 4v4 (you have to include Companions), though I don't think we've had many instances lately that involved taking on other Pirates, so there's a good idea.

I recommend getting into Hatching, it only takes a few moments a day (since your pet takes forever to level up once it hits like mid-way) and it's a relatively easy side-task you can do. Also, put your Companions on Orders and claim whatever they give you per day that way you don't fall behind in the future.

I agree Smuggler's isn't entirely soloable for those that are still pretty new to the game and playstyle, however that's a skill that comes with practice and anyone who's dead set on soloing will accomplish that goal no matter their class. I've YET to need a team for any part of the game, the only times I fail is when I'm in a super hard dungeon for the first time and have to think on the fly (Moo Manchu). If I'm defeated, I know what to expect and always succeed on my second go (because I'm more prepared). Same mindset is needed for soloing Smuggler's.

A good idea, though implementation will be very difficult if not sketchy. There needs to be more details included.
Ehh you're beside the point. Who cares if classes have an easier time? The point is to keep people busy.

Did you miss the whole business on making pirate more attractive for everyone?

I've been playing for over 2 years, morphing is a given, I still am doing that... not really occupying me all day mind you. You said it yourself, only takes a few moments a day.

Companions tasks arent an activity.. it's doing itself.

Pirate is seriously lacking in the daily activity department, daily quests and stuff have already been suggested, I'm just throwing a different idea, that's all.

Rewards are a detail, I'm sure KI can work that out to make it fair for everyone, if they ever decide to do something like this.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Silver Angel on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
Ehh you're beside the point. Who cares if classes have an easier time? The point is to keep people busy.

Did you miss the whole business on making pirate more attractive for everyone?

I've been playing for over 2 years, morphing is a given, I still am doing that... not really occupying me all day mind you. You said it yourself, only takes a few moments a day.

Companions tasks arent an activity.. it's doing itself.

Pirate is seriously lacking in the daily activity department, daily quests and stuff have already been suggested, I'm just throwing a different idea, that's all.

Rewards are a detail, I'm sure KI can work that out to make it fair for everyone, if they ever decide to do something like this.
I'm pretty sure Musketeers and Witchdoctors are going to care, considering they most likely won't get as far as a Swash would. How is that more attractive for everyone?

All I'm saying is the idea needs to be fleshed out more, and details need to be thought up. Such as how the Arena would work, what the progression would be like, the types of enemies fought, the entire length, is it a free/implemented system or bought, etc. Simply saying "Arena, not like Smuggler's" isn't enough for everyone else to entirely follow with what you're suggesting. Rewards are important as well, if they're just gear that is only worth stitching then that does play a role in whether or not everyone will participate in the feature.

Keep in mind, keeping people busy is important but they need (and have) to have fun in the process.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Nightblood1995 on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Musketeers and Witchdoctors are going to care, considering they most likely won't get as far as a Swash would. How is that more attractive for everyone?

All I'm saying is the idea needs to be fleshed out more, and details need to be thought up. Such as how the Arena would work, what the progression would be like, the types of enemies fought, the entire length, is it a free/implemented system or bought, etc. Simply saying "Arena, not like Smuggler's" isn't enough for everyone else to entirely follow with what you're suggesting. Rewards are important as well, if they're just gear that is only worth stitching then that does play a role in whether or not everyone will participate in the feature.

Keep in mind, keeping people busy is important but they need (and have) to have fun in the process.
It's not players' job to flesh that out, but KI.

If they like the idea, they'll think about it and come up with something acceptable.

There's no point in elaborating further if they dont like the idea at all.

Also, nobody prevents you to play a swash.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Silver Angel on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:
It's not players' job to flesh that out, but KI.

If they like the idea, they'll think about it and come up with something acceptable.

There's no point in elaborating further if they dont like the idea at all.

Also, nobody prevents you to play a swash.
Coming from a Game Developer in training (in College): it may be our job to flesh it out but if we don't know exactly what you want or what you're proposing then we won't bother with it. Details are essential, a half-constructed skeleton gets us nowhere.

Like I said, everything you've suggested sounds like another Smuggler's Arena, so of course they wouldn't run with it because they wouldn't want to just 'reskin' a previous concept.

Even if they turn out to not like it, it's best to pain as clear of a picture as possible that way they fully understand what it is you're trying to suggest. If they can't see what you're seeing, then that leads to miscommunication.

I have no clue what your last line is even meant to mean, the way it was written means "Nobody is stopping you from playing Swash" which makes no sense. You need to quit thinking I'm only speaking for myself when I bring up the other classes and realize that I'm looking at every other class's strengths and weaknesses and the fact that some classes are easier to play, and honestly more rewarding in comparison to time spent, than others. There's a reason why Buccs and Swashes are the more common class.

Anyways: if you don't want to flesh out your own idea then that comes off as lazy. Why is it the Designers and Programmer's job to rummage through your brain and figure out exactly what it is you mean? Their jobs are to contribute to the game in any positive way possible, not decipher player suggestions.