Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Adjust Bed rest

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Sep 7, 2016 wrote:
The basic difference between many of the 'anti' bed rest group and the 'pro' bed rest group is this - we know we can have a very good chance of winning a battle even if we don't have our top tier available to us.
And you choose to believe that this isn't possible.
'Old Timer's' advice is sound and comes from extensive experience, maybe you should listen.
As to the Scrapper talent ( which players hoot at whenever I mention it ) there are times when a certain talent isn't available for training ( example: Tough or Dodge ) this is the time I tend to give Scrapper - and only on those companions that are essential because they give a buff.
Have you considered that the times for bed rest will eventually stabilize? Then having that Scrapper Talent may become the most desirable talent to have? I'm trying to anticipate the devs at KI in this mechanic.
Hoot...hoot.

Lol Esperanza, I admit that I am one of those that hoots when it comes to Scrapper. But I think it's more because of my play style & limited playing time. I'm simply not in game enough (&/or for long chunks of time) & don't lose enough companions to feel Scrapper is worth using a talent choice on. Seeing as how it can only take 10 minutes to get a max companion back, I prefer just to use that point on something else. Also with as easy as it is to hit max gold...resetting my companions isn't a big deal at all. So if KI adds more Epic/Talent choices down the road, I will take 2-5 minutes to get enough gold for a reset and then redistribute based upon what becomes available.

I can see where Scrapper may be somewhat useful to players that are in game for very long periods of time and quite often. Then getting a companion back quicker would be helpful. But the simple fact that it can only take 10 minutes to get enough gold to Revive a downed compain makes choosing another talent over Scrapper, more useful to me. The 1st 2 battles in the Razing Kane instance take less than 10 minutes total & average you about 25-40k in gold (between dropped gold & gear selling at 1200+ a piece ). So even if I were to lose my favored companions in that instance, I can start it over & farm the 1st two battles for 30 minutes & get my entire crew back...then give the final battle a go again. 30-45 minutes still beats 8+ hours & anything Scrapper could provide. Plus it's tough to lose companions in those 1st two battles & even the worst crew members could be used while your top guns are awaiting revivals-- or if just using the lesser tier to play it safe.

Who knows, maybe one day things will play out as you're hoping/anticipating. It's definitely a possibility & you would be very wise to already have your crew ready to return to action. But right now, & with it only taking 10 mins to get a crew member back (2-5 mins to pay for a reset), any other available Talents get my vote.

Lieutenant
Mar 07, 2009
I don't have an issue...I use all my companions. fun trying to see what you can do with other companions not always the main ones.

Captain
Apr 24, 2016
the unadjusted time for a lower level like me be one hour!?!?! no, just no.

|---- ----|

| |

/\ /\

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
thedragonpirate245... on Nov 29, 2016 wrote:
the unadjusted time for a lower level like me be one hour!?!?! no, just no.

|---- ----|

| |

/\ /\
Then follow the advice of us "old timer" pirates:
1. DON'T always depend on the "best" 3 companions, try using some of the "lesser" ones.
2. Have as many companions as possible at least 3 - 5 levels of your level.
3. Variety of companions in battle boosts your strategy and keeps you from falling into a "one trick pirate".

Lieutenant
Mar 07, 2009
Ok I can't believe this post. I don't find it a problem at all using all companions. Bed rest is bed rest. Suck it up. When a companion is injured you make due with the others. I find it fun to try to make other companion work. Go back back to Wizard if you don't like it. Because I like this game. Keep it up KI...Doing a good job. Level up lower rated companions and have them do one power or two if it works. I have set and reset companions dozens of time

Captain
Apr 24, 2016
anecorbie on Nov 29, 2016 wrote:
Then follow the advice of us "old timer" pirates:
1. DON'T always depend on the "best" 3 companions, try using some of the "lesser" ones.
2. Have as many companions as possible at least 3 - 5 levels of your level.
3. Variety of companions in battle boosts your strategy and keeps you from falling into a "one trick pirate".
ok I got it. thanks

Ensign
Apr 13, 2013
Bucisfav on Jul 21, 2016 wrote:
In order to prevent mutiny I suggest that bed rest get adjusted. My proposal is make the unadjusted time be one hour for everyone. This would allow for players to feel like the fights are less horrible and still make battles matter. People don't want to wait nine or ten hours to get companions back especially on fights like the Throne Room. Yes tactics matter; these fights are over powered and non bosses can cost KI dollars. Questing should not be simple and not take a ton of dead time either.
Like as most other people are saying, the bed rest system stops players from using the same companions in one battle that they normally "fail" in. But me, I'm an old timer, and I was around when when a companion fainted in battle, you had to go to a life fountain to revive them, easy. But now, the bed rest system is here, I hate the system, yet, I do like it.

I can't agree with either side. If the bed rest system was removed/ time lowered, the game becomes too easy, but if the bed rest system was kept, some would:
A: Become mad
B: Quit the game for some time
or
C: Just overall leave the companion as "junk" and won't realize that that companion is the companion to use in that battle

So I can't decide whether the bed rest system should stay or go.

Hardy Portia Zest level 68 (completed the game)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Hardy Portia Zest on Dec 20, 2016 wrote:
Like as most other people are saying, the bed rest system stops players from using the same companions in one battle that they normally "fail" in. But me, I'm an old timer, and I was around when when a companion fainted in battle, you had to go to a life fountain to revive them, easy. But now, the bed rest system is here, I hate the system, yet, I do like it.

I can't agree with either side. If the bed rest system was removed/ time lowered, the game becomes too easy, but if the bed rest system was kept, some would:
A: Become mad
B: Quit the game for some time
or
C: Just overall leave the companion as "junk" and won't realize that that companion is the companion to use in that battle

So I can't decide whether the bed rest system should stay or go.

Hardy Portia Zest level 68 (completed the game)
It seems that this "new" system is staying ( two + years? yep, it's here to stay. )
I'm not going to repeat every bit of advice in this post to you, Hardy Portia. I do recommend that you read it thoroughly ( not just the opening post ).
P.S. You haven't finished the game if you're only level 68, do those side quests to get to max level and level up your companions, too. When the new update comes, you'll need to be ready.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
I've had little-to no problem on my witchdoctor doing this in Valencia part 2
granted I can't just use my 3 witchdoctor setup to 3 turn kill everyone, having at least 1- 1 1/2 pages of companions just a few levels below you won't hurt. I understand how you feel, as people like Mormo and Scratch are a witchdoctors best friend and get 5-6+ epics. They made more epics gained at 15. 35. and 55 to make some companions that had maybe 1 epic and then only had 2 after promotion get more and make them a viable canididate. I have the same thing via my swashbuckler, I love fan flanders, but she dies nearly twice a day for me, so I have a next man up companion setup. Although I think the prices of gold are a bit high, but bed rest is fine.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
TucsonWizard on Jul 25, 2016 wrote:
Most of the people who can't wait a few hours for their favorite companions to heal are not going to stick with the game anyway. Patience seems to be a virtue that's seriously lacking. It's much easier to just give up. Bartleby forbid someone might have to try the same instance a few times to finally be successful. If you don't want to use the second or third string, there's plenty of things to do while you're waiting for your first line companions to heal. Go farming, work on a badge, raise your Nautical level, race some pets, morph, help some lower levels. Make a totally different team than you're used to fighting with and go back and re-do some of the lower level bosses. It's fun for a change to see what some of the lesser-used companions are capable of.
To the poster that mentioned gold is not easy to get until Moo Tower... the OP is fighting in the Throne Room... an hour fighting in the Valencia or Aquila skyways can net you 50K-100K. That's enough to have Miracle Mitch heal three companions plus a few gold to spare.
And it's only a 1-hour wait.
i'm just going to add onto what you're saying, in mooshu, friar sand is also a great way to farm for gold. That's how me and a few friends got 100k quickly within an hour or two to buy a house in-game. Plus at the aquilian/moo macho revisted level that fight should take only 2 rounds to finish.

Ensign
Apr 29, 2014
Bucisfav on Jul 21, 2016 wrote:
In order to prevent mutiny I suggest that bed rest get adjusted. My proposal is make the unadjusted time be one hour for everyone. This would allow for players to feel like the fights are less horrible and still make battles matter. People don't want to wait nine or ten hours to get companions back especially on fights like the Throne Room. Yes tactics matter; these fights are over powered and non bosses can cost KI dollars. Questing should not be simple and not take a ton of dead time either.
I agree it should be fixed! But maybe not an hour for each companion. I'm thinking 5 hours at most but you could pay gold (everywhere not just skull island) or crowns to make the time less or just reviving the companion all together. It would give a high level player more luxury to not only worry about their companion dying but it also gives them something to spend their gold or crowns with. (Cause we all know their nothing much to spend gold on at level 70 ;-) ). Ruthless Anna Nightngale level 70

Ensign
Apr 29, 2014
anecorbie on Jul 24, 2016 wrote:
Sorry about the harsh rant, but there are ways to work with the Advanced Companion system.
1. Wake them up and use them injured, the only thing affected is health. They have all their powers and stats still.
2. Revive them ( if you have the gold ).
3. Train them in Scrapper. At 3 ranks this reduces the wait time by 15%, 4 ranks gives you 25%. At max level this means you're waiting only 5 hours compared to 8 hours.
As the game progresses wait times may stabilize ( its what I would do if I were programing this ) and Scrapper may come into more play.
Wait ya forgot about that! But I wish there was a like quick heal everywhere not just Skull Island. (Everyone ignore my previous post!!!)

Ensign
Oct 09, 2014
As an older pirate, I think the bed rest time is very necessary to be successful in the game. If a certain companion lineup is NOT working for an instance, maybe its time to try it at a different angle. I can't tell you how annoying it is to be at max gold all the time. I spend 200,000 on huge piles of gold in Aquila and now my house is a gold palace, literally; the bed rest has helped me to get rid of gold without using up all the space. Another example, soloing the dreadnaught. My original lineup failed miserably. and then i tried again with my backup lineup, still no luck. Then i tried with my strike team, my second backup lineup (or my backup lineup, depending on if I want to plow through the enemies in a tank style of play or dish out as much damage as possible) and STILL no luck. With 9 companions on bed rest, I looked to a different strategy; tank and distract. For this I needed to revive ratbeard and barnabus, and then I needed to throw in Gracie Conrad as the center of my strategy; something I would have totally laughed at if there was no bed rest. And it worked perfectly, I flawlessed it, and then again, and again, and then the fourth time I lost ratbeard, but no big deal. They wasted their powers on the first or second turn on the golem, and for about too or three turns the golem kept them from us with hold the line and by distracting them. Eventually the golem died and then as they work our way to us they run into the land mine; by this point we are all heavily buffed up and shielded up, and barnabus's and ratbeard's triton songs stack well with my triton's chorus. And then we wreck havoc with all sorts of critical attacks, and debuffed the enemy to the point of no return. Those are just some examples as to why adjusting bed rest is a bad idea; and there is no way I'm getting scrapper XD, I am not wasting perfectly good stats on something like shortening bed rest. Well, that's my opinion.

Ruthless Daniel Gunwale
Level 70 (main) + Level 70 (side)

Petty Officer
Nov 10, 2013
Even Doe i agree that bed rest is a pain but if they did not have that in aquila i would still be lvl 60 and suck at pvp bed rest helps you adjust and when you get to lvl 70 your ready for pvp and bed rest will help you for strategy and help to think outside the box

Dead-Eye Tim

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
anecorbie on Jul 22, 2016 wrote:
At the most its 8 hours, with 3 ranks of Scrapper its 5. Keep as many companions at least one to two levels below you and ready to step in when your "favorites" go for a nap. Or use some that gold ( and there's plenty ) to heal them.
One hour will not deter players from using the same companions over and over again, with the same results. Not all companions are suited for all battles.
personally i wish each companion had their "utility skills" as separate training points from their battle functions ie if Ratbeard could give us EXTRA companion training points ONLY to be used in "utility skills" like scrapper tome gathering ship xp etc I'd feel this situation of bed-rest grumpiness would be less mentioned in general as a game-crasher and more balanced for all pirates.

I do need to mention I've never used miracle mitch nor band-aided my companions. However, I do understand that people have their favorites and with regards to individuality I think my idea might help a little. Combined with your plan of scrapper, I think it could tone down this constant grievance issue. Win-win for all in my opinion.

stormy jen silver

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
What do players expect from this game?
Do you expect to win every battle effortlessly?
Without the need to strategize ( plan )?
AND without a single loss of a companion?
How unrealistic! ( And boring! )
You are going to lose some battles. You may even have to repeat the battle a few times ( or use team-up ).
You will have to think of ways to beat your enemies ( strategy ). Even by having more than one strategy! ( Imagine that! )
AND you will be losing companions on the way through this game!
This is how bed rest is a benefit to the player; by learning to use other companions when your "favorites" fail ( I refuse to say "best", because if they're not suited to the battle then they aren't best, regardless of their talents and powers. )

Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
I'm always amazed that the bedrest thing gets people so riled up. It totally boosts the satisfaction factor of the game because in order to really appreciate a win-----you have to have to have something to lose.

Running with a full team of your best companions at all time is so boring because you confidently go into each battle already knowing the outcome. HOPING that you'll be able to best your foes in battle builds excitement and the desire to work at it. If your teacher stamped an *A* on all your work no matter how little effort you put into it you'd eventually stop putting any effort into it at all. I know you young folks think that sounds great but I promise you your self-esteem and life satisfaction would be bottomed out and you'd never find happiness.

I much prefer to run the game on the *first mate* option where I never know who else is going to show up. The only time I don't is when battling with a team in either The Machine or The Dreadnaught because things can get dicey enough in there that I don't want to be responsible for a loss because my Nurse Quinn or Ghost Singer showed up to go head to head with Queen.

Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
One further point----the folks complaining about best companions being on bed rest causing them to shut down the game----do you only have one pirate character?

When you get stuck on something and get frustrated, hop on one of your other characters and work with them on something. I get the urge to move forward and wanting to make progress each time you play so that's one way to mitigate that. Even if you have to go back to the *impossible* battle at a later time when your *best* companions are at full health, you can still be moving forward on another of your characters.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on Jan 6, 2017 wrote:
I'm always amazed that the bedrest thing gets people so riled up. It totally boosts the satisfaction factor of the game because in order to really appreciate a win-----you have to have to have something to lose.

Running with a full team of your best companions at all time is so boring because you confidently go into each battle already knowing the outcome. HOPING that you'll be able to best your foes in battle builds excitement and the desire to work at it. If your teacher stamped an *A* on all your work no matter how little effort you put into it you'd eventually stop putting any effort into it at all. I know you young folks think that sounds great but I promise you your self-esteem and life satisfaction would be bottomed out and you'd never find happiness.

I much prefer to run the game on the *first mate* option where I never know who else is going to show up. The only time I don't is when battling with a team in either The Machine or The Dreadnaught because things can get dicey enough in there that I don't want to be responsible for a loss because my Nurse Quinn or Ghost Singer showed up to go head to head with Queen.
I've used Nurse Quinn ( a conscience choice ) & not only her, but my Chicken Miner as well in the battle against Kane. I was proving a point that if you've got them trained and used a matching strategy, so-called "useless" companions can be used in battle.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
stormyjensilverdra... on Jan 3, 2017 wrote:
personally i wish each companion had their "utility skills" as separate training points from their battle functions ie if Ratbeard could give us EXTRA companion training points ONLY to be used in "utility skills" like scrapper tome gathering ship xp etc I'd feel this situation of bed-rest grumpiness would be less mentioned in general as a game-crasher and more balanced for all pirates.

I do need to mention I've never used miracle mitch nor band-aided my companions. However, I do understand that people have their favorites and with regards to individuality I think my idea might help a little. Combined with your plan of scrapper, I think it could tone down this constant grievance issue. Win-win for all in my opinion.

stormy jen silver
thinking maybe 3 extra (ONLY for UTILITY SKILLS)would be fair and just enough to make life easier for kids and others that have difficulties training companions.. scrapper would become a favorite I'd recken as well as nautical.. many benefits to be had from the utility points but yes most of us are stingy with what we currently get and use towards power armor etc

after i posted this I remembered that during my aquilan Bat Masterson quest, he did faint and yet game mechanics brought him back with a bandaid.. xD by the end of his quest he had new armor of bandaids xD lol none i purposefully put on him but yes they were there, poor guy. I also remember feeling a bit cheated(since it was a long involved quest though fun) that he didnt learn a new power only gained a training boost.. still hope someday each of those will get an appropriate new power card after that quest, they are very good companions, important to the story, and deserve a special something because of that fact as well as sentimentality theyve been with us for a good while at that point as well.

stormy jen silver

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
stormyjensilverdra... on Jan 8, 2017 wrote:
thinking maybe 3 extra (ONLY for UTILITY SKILLS)would be fair and just enough to make life easier for kids and others that have difficulties training companions.. scrapper would become a favorite I'd recken as well as nautical.. many benefits to be had from the utility points but yes most of us are stingy with what we currently get and use towards power armor etc

after i posted this I remembered that during my aquilan Bat Masterson quest, he did faint and yet game mechanics brought him back with a bandaid.. xD by the end of his quest he had new armor of bandaids xD lol none i purposefully put on him but yes they were there, poor guy. I also remember feeling a bit cheated(since it was a long involved quest though fun) that he didnt learn a new power only gained a training boost.. still hope someday each of those will get an appropriate new power card after that quest, they are very good companions, important to the story, and deserve a special something because of that fact as well as sentimentality theyve been with us for a good while at that point as well.

stormy jen silver
An important fact to remember about companions who get bedrest during their promotion is that, no matter how many bandaids appear; they'll all go away when the companion fully promotes. So don't sweat those wounds!

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
I like Bed Rest and advanced companions a lot. It makes the game more challenging and you have to change your strategy once and a while. HOWEVER when a stiletto fish super hits Old Scratch in the first round, annilateing him, I can't help but think that perhaps strategy may not have too much of a role in that. Then you have to wait 8 hours or take out a mortgage on your Smuggler's Cove to afford the Miracle Mitch bill. And this will only become more of a problem as your companions gain more levels and take longer to heal in future updates. IMO you shouldn't get defeated before you go to bed and wake up with your companions on bed rest. I know You could train scrapper, but that only decreases it by like 2 hours. I don't know just a thought but in future updates this should be on the minds of KI and the players, that how much bed rest is enough?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fearless Finnagan on Jan 9, 2017 wrote:
I like Bed Rest and advanced companions a lot. It makes the game more challenging and you have to change your strategy once and a while. HOWEVER when a stiletto fish super hits Old Scratch in the first round, annilateing him, I can't help but think that perhaps strategy may not have too much of a role in that. Then you have to wait 8 hours or take out a mortgage on your Smuggler's Cove to afford the Miracle Mitch bill. And this will only become more of a problem as your companions gain more levels and take longer to heal in future updates. IMO you shouldn't get defeated before you go to bed and wake up with your companions on bed rest. I know You could train scrapper, but that only decreases it by like 2 hours. I don't know just a thought but in future updates this should be on the minds of KI and the players, that how much bed rest is enough?
I'm hoping that KI developers have implemented a cap on how long companions are on bedrest. It would cause a major mutiny if it became much longer than it is now. ( OMG, can you imagine a 24 hour wait?! )