Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

When You're Looking to Morph...

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
Ahoy!

I've been noticing a few things in the Morphing Tent that I thought I should address here. A few people recently haven't really been patient or friendly when they're asking for a morph. Then they're also a bit angry or upset when the pet owner denies them a morph. Here's a few tips on how to be professional when asking for a morph.

#1: Patience

Ever see that perfect, must-have pet? If that person is in the Morphing Tent a lot, then they probably get a lot of other requests to morph from other people besides you. The first rule is to remember: Nobody can do everything at once. Be Patient. If the other person simply just doesn't have enough gold, don't be frustrated. Simply wait for another day when they have gold. Also, if they can't add you due to their list being full, be patient. You're bound to see them again in the Spiral. If other players want to morph with the same person, offer to let them go first. This is a friendly gesture, one the other players will notice of you. This builds up a good reputation for you. (I needed to add this as well: NEVER, EVER shout out what talent you're looking for. Many people will not respond to shouting. You're better off asking specific people to morph for the talent you're looking for).

#2: Be Prepared

If you're looking to morph in the tent, you must be prepared. Bring at least 25,000 gold. Make sure your inventory isn't full. Most importantly, be prepared not to find someone with your desired pet on the first day. Pets take time, just like anything else.

#3: Use Your Manners (Politeness)

This step also applies to real life, beyond the game. Good manners go a long way. It should be standard of anyone to use their manners. Remember to ask with a please and respond with a thank you. This step is arguably the most important out of all of them. Nobody wants to help someone who is disrespectful and rude. Put yourself in their shoes, think, I am not the only one who wants a better pet. This tip also is tied closely to #1.

#4: Have Fun...Relax

If you're not having fun while you're playing a game, then you're doing something wrong. Relax. This isn't meant to be stressful. When you're newly morphed pet fails at baby, don't be stressed. Crack a joke on how ridiculously funny the pet's fail is. Ask the owner nicely if you could morph again another time.

If you follow these four tips, then you're much more likely to be a happy, stress-free person in the tent. You're also more likely to achieve your dream pet, as well as building a great reputation.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post,
-James

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Very excellent tips, James, and I hope this post gets everyone's attention. I have seen bad manners exhibited in asking to morph, insults ( or reporting ) when someone refuses, impatience and to me once, anger when a morph failed to get them what they wanted. ( As if I had control of what pet showed. )
A good demonstration of good manners in the face of rudeness, is how I've seen Two-Faced Valkoor Ohlen ( Valkoor the Victorious ) has shown to players asking to morph. He has shown grace in the face of impatience, demands to "morph now!", and then receiving no thanks from some he's helped.
I, OTH, don't suffer fools gladly, and a rude pirate will often get nothing from me.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ElijahWaterVault on Jul 17, 2016 wrote:
Ahoy!

I've been noticing a few things in the Morphing Tent that I thought I should address here. A few people recently haven't really been patient or friendly when they're asking for a morph. Then they're also a bit angry or upset when the pet owner denies them a morph. Here's a few tips on how to be professional when asking for a morph.

#1: Patience

Ever see that perfect, must-have pet? If that person is in the Morphing Tent a lot, then they probably get a lot of other requests to morph from other people besides you. The first rule is to remember: Nobody can do everything at once. Be Patient. If the other person simply just doesn't have enough gold, don't be frustrated. Simply wait for another day when they have gold. Also, if they can't add you due to their list being full, be patient. You're bound to see them again in the Spiral. If other players want to morph with the same person, offer to let them go first. This is a friendly gesture, one the other players will notice of you. This builds up a good reputation for you. (I needed to add this as well: NEVER, EVER shout out what talent you're looking for. Many people will not respond to shouting. You're better off asking specific people to morph for the talent you're looking for).

#2: Be Prepared

If you're looking to morph in the tent, you must be prepared. Bring at least 25,000 gold. Make sure your inventory isn't full. Most importantly, be prepared not to find someone with your desired pet on the first day. Pets take time, just like anything else.

#3: Use Your Manners (Politeness)

This step also applies to real life, beyond the game. Good manners go a long way. It should be standard of anyone to use their manners. Remember to ask with a please and respond with a thank you. This step is arguably the most important out of all of them. Nobody wants to help someone who is disrespectful and rude. Put yourself in their shoes, think, I am not the only one who wants a better pet. This tip also is tied closely to #1.

#4: Have Fun...Relax

If you're not having fun while you're playing a game, then you're doing something wrong. Relax. This isn't meant to be stressful. When you're newly morphed pet fails at baby, don't be stressed. Crack a joke on how ridiculously funny the pet's fail is. Ask the owner nicely if you could morph again another time.

If you follow these four tips, then you're much more likely to be a happy, stress-free person in the tent. You're also more likely to achieve your dream pet, as well as building a great reputation.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post,
-James
VERY nicely said.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
I'll add something I tend to do if for no other reason than potentially good karma...

If you've gone morphin' with something specific in mind you might not find what you're looking for... but you may be approached by someone else who wants to morph with you. It's a good idea to go ahead and do it occasionally. So you spend some gold on a pet you might not want... but sometime in the future that same person might be just the one you need for a morph. A little good will can go a long way. And who knows... you might just get a surprise hybrid out of the deal!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 18, 2016 wrote:
Very excellent tips, James, and I hope this post gets everyone's attention. I have seen bad manners exhibited in asking to morph, insults ( or reporting ) when someone refuses, impatience and to me once, anger when a morph failed to get them what they wanted. ( As if I had control of what pet showed. )
A good demonstration of good manners in the face of rudeness, is how I've seen Two-Faced Valkoor Ohlen ( Valkoor the Victorious ) has shown to players asking to morph. He has shown grace in the face of impatience, demands to "morph now!", and then receiving no thanks from some he's helped.
I, OTH, don't suffer fools gladly, and a rude pirate will often get nothing from me.
Lol, Esperanza...why thanks, you! Do you know how many rude pirates showed up to my breakfast table this morning? All saying, "you can be as rude as you want...ol' Valkoor won't mind at all! Yep...Anecorbie said so!"

I'm kidding of course. They actually greeted me straight out of the shower, delaying my breakfast..since they were rude & all.

I can't say that I "suffer fools gladly", but I do gladly fool sufferers. Actually I have always embraced challenges. It's always more of a daunting task to remain polite & patient, than it is to let rudeness get the best of you & fight fire with fire-- even when the situation clearly merits Ratbeard-esque explosions. Also I am a bit stubborn. Some are rude just to try to get under your skin. I won't give them the satisfaction of succumbing to those attempts. "Have a nice day!" seems to provide more of a deterrence than telling the rude people to "walk the plank". And in some cases, it actually helps curtail the rudeness...especially in regards to those that do it more to fit in or to put on a show.

Bottom line is that I like to help people, without ever expecting or wanting anything in return. If you expect rudeness from some, along with appreciation from some, and indifference from some...then it allows you to remain even-keel.

And James...great tips on how to be courteous when looking to morph. Being polite and appreciative goes a long way towards getting help from fellow morphers. I know from experience that you are indeed one who practices what you preach. One of the most polite people that I have ever morphed with, why that you are!

On the flip side I would also like to mention that rudeness goes both ways. I have witnessed many players with amazing pets that hang out in the tent & are rather rude to players politely asking for help. Some just flat out ignore. Some basically stand there, flaunting their pets, with no desire to help others.

So everyone...just be courteous, respectful, & keep on morphin' on!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Well said, Elijah. The only bit I am not sure I agree with is this part: "(I needed to add this as well: NEVER, EVER shout out what talent you're looking for. Many people will not respond to shouting. You're better off asking specific people to morph for the talent you're looking for)"

I do sometimes (esp. when the tent is crowded) announce - politely, no shouting as I do that quite enough at Ratbeard and some of his chums - what I am looking for, and while I don't always receive a response I often do. Sometimes when looking at other pirates' pets I see one with what I asked publicly about, but I have generally assumed that the person was not interested in a morph with me in general rather than turned off by my announcement that I was looking for something fairly specific.

Conversely, when I am in the tent and someone announces they are looking for X and I have X, I always do respond unless I cannot morph at that point for some reason.

So... is calling out what you are looking for a morphing faux pas, and I just missed the memo?

-Indigo

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Indigo Ring on Jul 19, 2016 wrote:
Well said, Elijah. The only bit I am not sure I agree with is this part: "(I needed to add this as well: NEVER, EVER shout out what talent you're looking for. Many people will not respond to shouting. You're better off asking specific people to morph for the talent you're looking for)"

I do sometimes (esp. when the tent is crowded) announce - politely, no shouting as I do that quite enough at Ratbeard and some of his chums - what I am looking for, and while I don't always receive a response I often do. Sometimes when looking at other pirates' pets I see one with what I asked publicly about, but I have generally assumed that the person was not interested in a morph with me in general rather than turned off by my announcement that I was looking for something fairly specific.

Conversely, when I am in the tent and someone announces they are looking for X and I have X, I always do respond unless I cannot morph at that point for some reason.

So... is calling out what you are looking for a morphing faux pas, and I just missed the memo?

-Indigo
"So... is calling out what you are looking for a morphing faux pas, and I just missed the memo?"

I'm pretty sure James is meaning that, in general, players somewhat new to morphing (with less desirable pets/traits) may find avid morphers more willing to help out if you politely ask them by name (& reference a specific trait) to morph, versus just shouting out "I need Grants Relentless". I'm sure your "shouts" are still friendly in nature & not demanding. Seems that what he is referring to, & what I have witnessed many times, is that some players sit there & repeatedly say "morph with me!" &/or "I need this, I need that". Calling out does indeed work well at times, but to better a new-ish player/morpher's chance at securing a dance partner, it may help to politely ask a player by name, while requesting a certain trait/pet-- versus tossing out the "I need", kind of shouts.

Also, you have some really great pets, Indigo. There's a bit of a social pecking order that seems to play out in regards to how other players, with their own amazing pets (& new traits/pets/hybrids), receive players "calling out". In general, if you already have great pets/grants/combos, the better your chances of someone responding to calling out & players opening up their pets/traits to you. But from what I have witnessed, if you are newer to morphing, don't have as much to offer (to those more seasoned morphers), are sporting a less-than impressive pet...well, simply calling out, in many cases, is going to get you ignored or not grant you that other tango partner. Of course, this isn't always the case-- but more oft than not, it is. When you, yourself, have much to offer in return, players tend to be more willing to answer those calls.

James' post is a great guideline especially for those just starting out with the morphing process or are a bit behind in regards to collecting traits/pets/hybrids/grants. But, overall, politeness helps your chances, regardless of your morphing experience level.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
Indigo Ring on Jul 19, 2016 wrote:

-Indigo
Yes, some are very willing to morph, like yourself, but many others are too shy to respond, even if they want to help out. Certainly, someone will morph with you, I just may have worded it extreme. The key word I should have tried to come across is MANY. You're correct. Just trying to incorporate it in with patience because the sentence I meant to come across with is that "many people will not respond to shouting". I've witnessed several different people shout out, "Morph your Skyrime with my Jackalope to create Rime Jackalope, or I'll call you an 'ugh mouse'!". Politely asking isn't a problem at all. I know for a fact that you're very polite. I only included that part only due to my experiences in the tent, sorry for any dismay and misunderstandings.

Ensign
Aug 06, 2013
Another thing that may be annoying in the Morphing Tent is when you bring a companion. It gets in the way, but otherwise, good job Elijah!

Jamal Lvl 70