Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Dear Kingsisle

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 11, 2013
Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Ensign
Sep 22, 2012
I'm dying laughing.

I want to say "whoa" and "oof."

And a thousand more words I would like added to the game's word bank, but my brain's exhausted at the moment.

Ensign
Oct 13, 2019
AlextheWizard53 on Dec 15, 2019 wrote:
Please allow us to say "gamers"

Sincerely,
Alex
Actually, please allow us to say a wide variety of words that aren't cuss words. I understand that this is a "family game," but the restrictions that is put on speech is just plain silly.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
destinyxarrives on Dec 17, 2019 wrote:
Actually, please allow us to say a wide variety of words that aren't cuss words. I understand that this is a "family game," but the restrictions that is put on speech is just plain silly.
No, I don't agree it's silly and I've seen players use "non-cuss" words as a substitute for cussing around the filters.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
"Tomato" "Lag" two words that have no reason to be non-whitelisted

Administrator
We periodically review the filter. I'll have our team review this specific word, which seems benign to me at first glance.

Ensign
Sep 22, 2012
destinyxarrives on Dec 17, 2019 wrote:
That's just it, it's a family game. There are millions of families out there with millions of different standards for their kids, and games have to adjust to this by being stricter than usual. Look at me, I'm nearly an adult and am still offended by near-swear words. I know a handful of words in the filter that doesn't make any sense, but some people use them to swear. "Cha" is a word commonly used with a moderately-severe swear word (and I've been called that word too. Twice.) and I don't see any reason for it to be in the filter. And what's up with "ssa?" What does that even mean? If anything, some aspects of the filter need to be stricter.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Bat Masterson on Dec 17, 2019 wrote:
We periodically review the filter. I'll have our team review this specific word, which seems benign to me at first glance.
So what happens during the review sessions? Do you sit around and try to make up vulgarisms with a word to see if it can be added to the "nice" list?

Ensign
Oct 13, 2019
anecorbie on Dec 17, 2019 wrote:
No, I don't agree it's silly and I've seen players use "non-cuss" words as a substitute for cussing around the filters.
The use of substitute words for cussing around the filters is an inevitable aspect of free speech. Players will always find creative ways to go around the system, no matter what the restrictions are that the developers put in place.
I would like to clarify that I don't believe all the restrictions put on speech is silly; obviously in a kid-friendly game, swearing should be banned, but there are a TON of words that should be allowed to be said and aren't.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Duck de Death on Dec 17, 2019 wrote:
That's just it, it's a family game. There are millions of families out there with millions of different standards for their kids, and games have to adjust to this by being stricter than usual. Look at me, I'm nearly an adult and am still offended by near-swear words. I know a handful of words in the filter that doesn't make any sense, but some people use them to swear. "Cha" is a word commonly used with a moderately-severe swear word (and I've been called that word too. Twice.) and I don't see any reason for it to be in the filter. And what's up with "ssa?" What does that even mean? If anything, some aspects of the filter need to be stricter.
Read ssa backwards, it's permitted because some Ophidians have this as part of their name; can't help you with "cha".

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
destinyxarrives on Dec 18, 2019 wrote:
The use of substitute words for cussing around the filters is an inevitable aspect of free speech. Players will always find creative ways to go around the system, no matter what the restrictions are that the developers put in place.
I would like to clarify that I don't believe all the restrictions put on speech is silly; obviously in a kid-friendly game, swearing should be banned, but there are a TON of words that should be allowed to be said and aren't.
So , because bad behavior is "inevitable" we must allow words that can be abused? You could also get creative and broaden your vocabulary, using words that mean the same but are allowed. For example; a friend of mine wanted to tell me she had gone to the beach. "Beach" isn't allowed, I pointed out to her that she could use "sea side", which is allowed. ( I believe shore isn't allowed, either ).

Ensign
Oct 13, 2019
anecorbie on Dec 18, 2019 wrote:
So , because bad behavior is "inevitable" we must allow words that can be abused? You could also get creative and broaden your vocabulary, using words that mean the same but are allowed. For example; a friend of mine wanted to tell me she had gone to the beach. "Beach" isn't allowed, I pointed out to her that she could use "sea side", which is allowed. ( I believe shore isn't allowed, either ).
I think that there are a large variety of words that aren’t cuss words, aren’t words that can be substituted for cuss words, and are still being banned (such as “gamer”).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
destinyxarrives on Dec 19, 2019 wrote:
I think that there are a large variety of words that aren’t cuss words, aren’t words that can be substituted for cuss words, and are still being banned (such as “gamer”).
We also must consider just how large the "dictionary" is for P101.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
anecorbie on Dec 18, 2019 wrote:
Found out you can say "shore"

Ensign
Apr 08, 2017
AlextheWizard53 on Dec 15, 2019 wrote:
Please allow us to say "gamers"

Sincerely,
Alex
In Wizard101, we can say "gamers". Why not here?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012