Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Help with Swashbuckler Companions please!

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 08, 2016
I just started my Swashbuckler not too long ago, and I was wondering if I could get some good setups for the swashbuckler companions like El Toro, Fan Flanders, Sarah Steele, etc. Thanks a lot!

Fair Gorman Calles - 70
Black Travis Dodger - 10
Blaze - 15
Blaze - 3
Blaze - 6
Please don't question why I have 3 characters named Blaze.

Petty Officer
Jan 26, 2019
BeastModer12327113... on Oct 6, 2019 wrote:
I just started my Swashbuckler not too long ago, and I was wondering if I could get some good setups for the swashbuckler companions like El Toro, Fan Flanders, Sarah Steele, etc. Thanks a lot!

Fair Gorman Calles - 70
Black Travis Dodger - 10
Blaze - 15
Blaze - 3
Blaze - 6
Please don't question why I have 3 characters named Blaze.
Taking a look at your level, it looks like the only companions you would have on your crew at the moment would be Subodai, Bonnie, Sarah, Fan, and maybe Scratch and Ratbeard. My strategy on my swash up until Mooshu was Sarah, Fan, and Bonnie. When I got El Toro, I switched him out with Sarah. It’s worked pretty effectively up until Valencia pt. 2, when I had to do some changes in my crew set-up. If you train Bonnie with Overwatch 3 (giving the enemy an accuracy debuff), paired up with Toro’s Espirit de Corps, you and Fan will wreck havoc on enemies with your riposte chains.

Community Leader
The talents should always be the same for swashbuckler units: Rough 4, Tough 4, Dodgy 4, Accurate 4, Agile 1-2.

As for epics, it depends on if you're focused on PvE or PvP. If you're PvE focused, I'd prioritize epic allotment as such:
  • Relentless 2
  • Bladestorm 1-2 (rank 2 if they have guaranteed critical attacks)
  • Riposte 2 (not a huge fan of Riposte 3 in PvE, I'd just rather have an extra epic somewhere else)
  • First Strike 1-3 (since you can easily outstat your enemies, riposte will trigger very often, making first strike less worthwhile. Also, FS's damage is worse and there are no hidden enemies that make FS3 valuable.

For PvP:
  • First Strike 3
  • Relentless 2
  • Additional talents should go towards some combination of bladestorms and ripostes. I'd do no more than one rank of bladestorm

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Oct 7, 2019 wrote:
The talents should always be the same for swashbuckler units: Rough 4, Tough 4, Dodgy 4, Accurate 4, Agile 1-2.

As for epics, it depends on if you're focused on PvE or PvP. If you're PvE focused, I'd prioritize epic allotment as such:
  • Relentless 2
  • Riposte 2 (not a huge fan of Riposte 3 in PvE, I'd just rather have an extra epic somewhere else)
  • First Strike 1-3 (since you can easily outstat your enemies, riposte will trigger very often, making first strike less worthwhile. Also, FS's damage is worse and there are no hidden enemies that make FS3 valuable.

For PvP:
  • First Strike 3
  • Relentless 2
  • Additional talents should go towards some combination of bladestorms and ripostes. I'd do no more than one rank of bladestorm
Isn't it agility that does the damage for swashbucklers ( especially when boosted ) rather than rough?
There is one enemy that does use either Walk in Shadows or Black Fog - Josef in the Nefarious 5 fight. There is a chance for further enemies getting this power. I find FS3 very useful.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Matthew525011 on Oct 7, 2019 wrote:

• Relentless 2

For PvP:
  • First Strike 3
  • Relentless 2
No offense, but if you build all of your swashbucklers the same, where is the variety that may make or break a difficult battle?

I don't see my companions as robots that all do the same thing -- they are individuals, who have personalities and giving them different skill sets is part of that.

Petty Officer
Jan 26, 2019
TheyMayBeBears on Oct 7, 2019 wrote:
Taking a look at your level, it looks like the only companions you would have on your crew at the moment would be Subodai, Bonnie, Sarah, Fan, and maybe Scratch and Ratbeard. My strategy on my swash up until Mooshu was Sarah, Fan, and Bonnie. When I got El Toro, I switched him out with Sarah. It’s worked pretty effectively up until Valencia pt. 2, when I had to do some changes in my crew set-up. If you train Bonnie with Overwatch 3 (giving the enemy an accuracy debuff), paired up with Toro’s Espirit de Corps, you and Fan will wreck havoc on enemies with your riposte chains.
Whoops, read your question wrong. Okay don’t listen to me anymore.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
I worked with Sarah, Fan, and Subodai with Bonnie as my backup--now I'm an 11 and I use Sarah, Fan, Dead Mike, and Itzen Kaan (from a pack). Bonnie and Subodai are my backup.

Community Leader
anecorbie on Oct 7, 2019 wrote:
Isn't it agility that does the damage for swashbucklers ( especially when boosted ) rather than rough?
There is one enemy that does use either Walk in Shadows or Black Fog - Josef in the Nefarious 5 fight. There is a chance for further enemies getting this power. I find FS3 very useful.
Rough 4 provides 40 weapon power in total. Agile provides a 1% increase in weapon per every 5 points of it we have. Agile 4 provides 16 points of agility, for an increase of about 3% weapon power. For a swash unit, this is somewhere between 12 and 15 base weapon power.

As for fs3, it's really not that useful in PvE right now. I've only seen Josef use it when immobilized by frozen tide on turn one. Also, we only see a few new enemies added to the game every year. I wouldn't lower my damage output just to speculate on a future enemy getting the ability to hide.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Oct 9, 2019 wrote:
Rough 4 provides 40 weapon power in total. Agile provides a 1% increase in weapon per every 5 points of it we have. Agile 4 provides 16 points of agility, for an increase of about 3% weapon power. For a swash unit, this is somewhere between 12 and 15 base weapon power.

As for fs3, it's really not that useful in PvE right now. I've only seen Josef use it when immobilized by frozen tide on turn one. Also, we only see a few new enemies added to the game every year. I wouldn't lower my damage output just to speculate on a future enemy getting the ability to hide.
Thanks for your explanation, it helps to clear things up.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
I do know one thing, if you can, get 3 riposte. Having a dodge boost each block is so underrated.

Ensign
Jul 08, 2016
TheyMayBeBears on Oct 8, 2019 wrote:
Whoops, read your question wrong. Okay don’t listen to me anymore.
No worries man!

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
Willowydream on Oct 8, 2019 wrote:
No offense, but if you build all of your swashbucklers the same, where is the variety that may make or break a difficult battle?

I don't see my companions as robots that all do the same thing -- they are individuals, who have personalities and giving them different skill sets is part of that.

Yes, that is true to an extent, but I think he is talking about making effective units. His formula is indeed a very strong formula for making a swashbuckler. It is one that does not take many risks of failure. So while you may take the approach of making each swashbuckler unique, his formula is structured to be able to handle many different scenarios. Making each swashbuckler unique may result in many falling behind and be rendered useless.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
chiliman05 on Oct 21, 2019 wrote:
Yes, that is true to an extent, but I think he is talking about making effective units. His formula is indeed a very strong formula for making a swashbuckler. It is one that does not take many risks of failure. So while you may take the approach of making each swashbuckler unique, his formula is structured to be able to handle many different scenarios. Making each swashbuckler unique may result in many falling behind and be rendered useless.
I guess it depends on your definition of "useless." Statements like yours make new players think that there are only a few ways to play.

I don't believe any companion is ever "useless" - just differently-abled, which makes playing the game much more interesting.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
Willowydream on Oct 21, 2019 wrote:
I guess it depends on your definition of "useless." Statements like yours make new players think that there are only a few ways to play.

I don't believe any companion is ever "useless" - just differently-abled, which makes playing the game much more interesting.

There are many ways to play, but some are certainly less effective then others. For example, while yes, a musketeer can sprint at people with swords, that doesn't mean it will do them as much good as using ranged weapons would. A companion, if you make them all different, will have situations were they are very useless, and the situations where they are not a liability could not only be rare, but still they may not be as good as another companion in that situation.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
chiliman05 on Oct 23, 2019 wrote:
There are many ways to play, but some are certainly less effective then others. For example, while yes, a musketeer can sprint at people with swords, that doesn't mean it will do them as much good as using ranged weapons would. A companion, if you make them all different, will have situations were they are very useless, and the situations where they are not a liability could not only be rare, but still they may not be as good as another companion in that situation.
This is all an argument between those who PVP ( gotta have the strongest, & "best" trained companions ) and PVE ( wanna have a unique blend that gives me fun ).
However, there are some tried & true talents that benefit the companions for players of both camps. Willowydream, your use of the words "differently-abled" just reminds me of PC talk for :handicapped". A WD without enough "spooky" or a Swash without enough dodge is rather useless.