Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A Question About “Witch Hunter”

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jan 26, 2019
Hi y’all! I’m not the most experienced player here, so I have a few nagging questions about the epic talent Witch Hunter. From what I know, someone with it can make a bonus attack before another person makes a magic attack, and the person who makes the magic attack ends up loosing half its weapon power. (Please correct me if I’m wrong) I have a lower level witch doctor, but while doing the Old Scratch battle, I noticed that spells like Mojo Storm and Ghost Wail don’t trigger Witch Hunter (since he has it in his boss battle). So do powers trigger Witch Hunter, and do you have to make the bonus attack before an enemy uses magic before their next attack has reduced weapon power? Sorry if this is confusing (and long). It’s nagging me, since I’m almost in Cool Ranch with my witch, and I know a lot of early enemies there have Witch Hunter. (Especially the bison spirits)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
TheyMayBeBears on Jul 25, 2019 wrote:
Hi y’all! I’m not the most experienced player here, so I have a few nagging questions about the epic talent Witch Hunter. From what I know, someone with it can make a bonus attack before another person makes a magic attack, and the person who makes the magic attack ends up loosing half its weapon power. (Please correct me if I’m wrong) I have a lower level witch doctor, but while doing the Old Scratch battle, I noticed that spells like Mojo Storm and Ghost Wail don’t trigger Witch Hunter (since he has it in his boss battle). So do powers trigger Witch Hunter, and do you have to make the bonus attack before an enemy uses magic before their next attack has reduced weapon power? Sorry if this is confusing (and long). It’s nagging me, since I’m almost in Cool Ranch with my witch, and I know a lot of early enemies there have Witch Hunter. (Especially the bison spirits)
Witchhunter is a talent which gives an attack against a magic attack, either by power or talent ( like Mojo Echo or Jobu's Ruse ) rather like Quick Draw and First Strike.

Under certain circumstances it won't trigger if you aren't directly targeting an enemy. For example Mojo Storm is an AoE so just targeting an area near the enemy will prevent a witchhunter attack. In the case of Ghost Wail it's the range in use that can prevent a witchhunter attack, unless the enemy also has a ranged weapon.
When witchhunter is used and hits, then the attack that triggers it will be reduced in damage.
I hope that this clears up some confusion, and that I got it right!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 04, 2018
TheyMayBeBears on Jul 25, 2019 wrote:
Witch hunter upsets a lot of players as its a witch power that reduces damage dealt by a lot but doesn't require one to actually use a staff to get it to work. The reduction only lasts for one attack so if you are doing a chain of magic attacks only the first one after witch hunter hits is reduced. Going up against opponents with witch hunter as a witchdoctor is purely miserable in the game as those fights can end up taking a really long time.

What I am not sure of when it comes to witch hunter as I haven't really tested it is that if I have it and use a melee weapon if the range is cut down to one or if it casts quite aways away. If the latter is the case then I can really see why witchdoctors are said to be the worst in PvP as the programming of witch hunter pretty much trashes them PvP wise.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Takhethis on Jul 26, 2019 wrote:
Witch hunter upsets a lot of players as its a witch power that reduces damage dealt by a lot but doesn't require one to actually use a staff to get it to work. The reduction only lasts for one attack so if you are doing a chain of magic attacks only the first one after witch hunter hits is reduced. Going up against opponents with witch hunter as a witchdoctor is purely miserable in the game as those fights can end up taking a really long time.

What I am not sure of when it comes to witch hunter as I haven't really tested it is that if I have it and use a melee weapon if the range is cut down to one or if it casts quite aways away. If the latter is the case then I can really see why witchdoctors are said to be the worst in PvP as the programming of witch hunter pretty much trashes them PvP wise.
The range is cut down to 1 if a melee weapon is equipped. This is the same for a melee combo or a straight melee. Just as Overwatch or Quick Draw won't trigger if using a melee/range combo.

Petty Officer
Jan 26, 2019