Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What the holdup might be

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Feb 07, 2010
I've heard the conspiracy theories about why we've gone so long without any evidence of an update, while Wizards got their entire third arc. But I'm here to say, this game is harder to update. It's more complicated than wizard in almost every way. Look at this list.

- Battle Boards: When making a combat zone for wizards, they just need a good patch of flat ground to plop a duel circle on. Battle boards take their shapes from the environment, and each one must have it's individual squares arranged in a unique way. then there's the factor of defining which squares are what teams territory, placing obstacles, and even setting up combat goals.

- Animations: A monster on a duel circle can get by with as few as four animations. Idle, cast, get hit, and die. On a battle board, a unit needs animations for receiving minor hits, major hits, critical hits, celebrating victory, walking and giving critical hits.

- Skyways: Wizards only ever walk on the ground. Even when they're on a boat, they're just sitting still while everything moves around them. Ships are like having an entire second game, which needs to be kept balanced like all the rest.

- Companions: When wizards raise the level cap, it's a set of higher stats for the seven schools. Pirates need to also figure out how the build goes for every single companion in the entire game. Even the promotional ones that are no longer available.

-Dialogue: Wizards have only a single narrator, Grandmother Raven. Pirates just have their crew stating the obvious. And different pirates have different speaking companions. So whenever, say, a presidio companion talks, the writers have to come up with five variations on the same statement, and get five voice actors in the studio to record them.

Now, I'm not saying that this justifies three years of giving us no reason to think an update is even on the back burner. In fact, it means that the problem with allocation of resources is even worse, because the game that needs more, is getting less. There doesn't seem to be any easy way to fix the problem quickly. Something that people have been asking for is a new housing bundle, and that doesn't have too many more bells and whistles than one for wizard. I suggest starting there and working your way back up.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
This is a great summary of the inherent issues.

Still, for the average player, it's very hard to understand the continual lack of resources for this MORE complicated game compared to the PLETHORA of packs, bundles, events, and new side-systems just in the past year for the less complicated game. Years-long lack of resources for a new Chapter says to us there has been a years-long lack of top-level commitment to continuing the story.

This is why seeing Ratbeard back to posting here is such a positive thing for Pirate101.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
You raised some good points. You also make me think another good name for this topic could be, "Why Pirate101 is a really good game" They really did put in a lot of good stuff, and variety that makes for a rich playing experience. You reminded me of the many times different crew chimed in during the game and made me laugh, how epic our battles can be, and how different playing on different classes can feel.

Ensign
Apr 26, 2014
Willowydream on Jun 9, 2019 wrote:
This is a great summary of the inherent issues.

Still, for the average player, it's very hard to understand the continual lack of resources for this MORE complicated game compared to the PLETHORA of packs, bundles, events, and new side-systems just in the past year for the less complicated game. Years-long lack of resources for a new Chapter says to us there has been a years-long lack of top-level commitment to continuing the story.

This is why seeing Ratbeard back to posting here is such a positive thing for Pirate101.

Very true. Pirate101 , from what I've gathered, is much a of complex game that needs much attention for some sort of an update to happen. It looks, plays, feels, does, and works much more complicated than Wizard101 (no offense). Although this isn't a justification of a less prominent presence of big updates from Pirate101, we can know what to expect if and if there is problems arising in Pirate101's development of updates. We can already see this now, with an almost 3-4 year gap with no major story updates. Really what I want to say is that, major updates take time and if we have to wait, then we know what to expect. We already are expecting and experiencing a wait, so let's be patient a bit longer a be a bit more mindful about what we're going through as of today, we seem to have a hopeful future, so let's keep at it just a bit longer.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
average moe on Jun 9, 2019 wrote:
I've heard the conspiracy theories about why we've gone so long without any evidence of an update, while Wizards got their entire third arc. But I'm here to say, this game is harder to update. It's more complicated than wizard in almost every way. Look at this list.

- Battle Boards: When making a combat zone for wizards, they just need a good patch of flat ground to plop a duel circle on. Battle boards take their shapes from the environment, and each one must have it's individual squares arranged in a unique way. then there's the factor of defining which squares are what teams territory, placing obstacles, and even setting up combat goals.

- Animations: A monster on a duel circle can get by with as few as four animations. Idle, cast, get hit, and die. On a battle board, a unit needs animations for receiving minor hits, major hits, critical hits, celebrating victory, walking and giving critical hits.

- Skyways: Wizards only ever walk on the ground. Even when they're on a boat, they're just sitting still while everything moves around them. Ships are like having an entire second game, which needs to be kept balanced like all the rest.

- Companions: When wizards raise the level cap, it's a set of higher stats for the seven schools. Pirates need to also figure out how the build goes for every single companion in the entire game. Even the promotional ones that are no longer available.

-Dialogue: Wizards have only a single narrator, Grandmother Raven. Pirates just have their crew stating the obvious. And different pirates have different speaking companions. So whenever, say, a presidio companion talks, the writers have to come up with five variations on the same statement, and get five voice actors in the studio to record them.

Now, I'm not saying that this justifies three years of giving us no reason to think an update is even on the back burner. In fact, it means that the problem with allocation of resources is even worse, because the game that needs more, is getting less. There doesn't seem to be any easy way to fix the problem quickly. Something that people have been asking for is a new housing bundle, and that doesn't have too many more bells and whistles than one for wizard. I suggest starting there and working your way back up.
And the Decaversary, of course.