Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Ratbeard Q & A

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 09, 2010
Ratbeard on Jul 26, 2019 wrote:
So... I have been away a long time.

Not only do I not remember the pressing issues of my day, I don't know the issues that have arisen since I left, and I no longer have the critical toolset skills I need to get in and fix things.

So I have a lot of "remembering" to do first, and then a lot of "catching up" to do, before any kind of "updating" is even open for discussion. (And those of you who play both games know that W101 demands a lot of my time-- I don't even have time to be present on the W101 forums as much as I would like.)

What is this thread for? This thread is to catalog the most pressing issues I need to look into without requiring me to crawl all around the various message boards to build a To Do list.

So the right approach to this thread would be, "Ratbeard, we know you can't say what's coming, when it's coming, or even whether it's coming, but when you get a chance to update P101, here are the things you should be looking at first."
I asked my sister how to attract new players and draw players from Wizard101 to play here too -- all she had to offer was what everyone knows. A new long term story arc and worlds to follow. I agree that that would be the single most important thing to do in order to draw consistent players.

I only play these two games, so I don't know. But if there was a new story to be developed is it possible to tie it into other games out there? Or make it allegorical to the world political situation? Something broader to hook parents and adult family. And a way to frame it more deeply in the classic pirate motif to bring in the kids more.

Ensign
Jun 22, 2010
Ratbeard, please consider level 75 and adding some unused companion promotions. I know Hawkules promotion was teased in the September 2018 update tweet, but it was never released. Level 75 can work, you reach max level far before Valencia pt 2 starts.

Petty Officer
Jan 26, 2019
james skullheart on Oct 29, 2019 wrote:
Ratbeard, please consider level 75 and adding some unused companion promotions. I know Hawkules promotion was teased in the September 2018 update tweet, but it was never released. Level 75 can work, you reach max level far before Valencia pt 2 starts.
I agree. I've hit max before I've gotten Hawkules on two different pirates, and then after max, I lost my motivation to continue the storyline because hey! Why do you need to finish the game when you've already become one of the most powerful players in the game? I haven't worked on storyline quests after maxing my privateer for nearly a month, and just spent most of the time doing Moo Manchu runs and helping others with ship battles or such. Plus, with the insane amount of experience from Valencia pt. 2 (in side quests especially, for Heaven's sake!) I think level 75 would work great for a lot of people.

The only downside would be those who've already finished all of the side quests in the game, and would just be stuck at level 70 until a new world update. But I figure there can be a way to give them a level boost if it happens (like what you did with nautical experience). Plus, level 75 is the next time your companions can get another epic. Take this into consideration, please?

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
Ratbeard on May 10, 2019 wrote:
I have returned from the mobile team to the MMO team, as Lead Designer for both Pirate 101 and Wizard 101.

The last major involvement I had for P101 was putting together the Ashes of the Armada pack. I consulted a bit here and there over the past few years for the teams that would be handling P101, but for the most part my duties on the mobile side kept me too busy to keep an eye out here. (And with only one to spare...)

I know that Falmea, Decius, and now Bat have done their best to stay involved here, and hopefully I can step that up a bit.

I'd love to have feedback from the community here in one place where I can not only get information about issues in P101, but re-open a back-and-forth conversation.

I know that the issue of most concern to you is probably "The Future of P101" but, as I commented in the thread of that name, for the specifics of that conversation I must defer to Falmea. I can say that Pirate has a strong ally in Falmea and she goes above and beyond for this game and this community.

So without getting into the "When" conversation, I might be able to offer some "Whats" and "Whys" with regard to things we might do for Pirate.

So... let's pretend I've been marooned for a few years, and just washed up ashore again. What do you want to talk about first?
Lol glad to hear back from you ratbeard! I have been a bit inactive as well as i have been very busy with highschool stuff. I, as well as i am assuming many others are wondering what worlds are currently in the works? Sorry i know everyone has been asking this same question for a long time but i simply cannot contain my excitement.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
sorry disregard my last question i didnt read the update newsletter

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Can we expect something for Yuletide this year? The Wizard City Underground is basically Wizard's big update for this year, so, can we expect anything special this winter?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Nov 28, 2019 wrote:
Can we expect something for Yuletide this year? The Wizard City Underground is basically Wizard's big update for this year, so, can we expect anything special this winter?
Even if his answer was yes, he wouldn't be allowed to confirm this.

Ensign
Jan 11, 2010
Hi Ratbeard !

I'm fully aware of the low player population. I can stand on a dungeon sigil forever waiting for other players to join. Makes it difficult to continue on. Is there a volunteer group here for Pirate like there is for Wizard where you can set an appointment with them for their help?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fair Fiona on Dec 10, 2019 wrote:
Hi Ratbeard !

I'm fully aware of the low player population. I can stand on a dungeon sigil forever waiting for other players to join. Makes it difficult to continue on. Is there a volunteer group here for Pirate like there is for Wizard where you can set an appointment with them for their help?
Go to Pirate101 Central, there are groups there. Or go to Avery's Court on Avery server and ask around.

Ensign
Dec 11, 2019
I know this probably isn't the right thread to discuss possible suggestions however, these ideas are fresh in my mind and I feel as though these changes could increase the quality of life and excitement of the game.

Ship Combat (PvE)
Right now it feels really boring and aggravating only being able to actively contribute to ship combat by pressing the abilities or their respective hotkeys. A suggestion I thought of which could help increase excitement to ship combat is marking areas around the enemy ship which could increase accuracy, damage or fire rate, this will actively allow players to engage in combat with a different mechanic other than just hitting the ability keys every x amount of seconds. An example of this could be marking a spot x meters away from the enemy ship to increase damage output by 10-35% or increase the fire rate of your ship by a percentage amount.

Abilities
As of right now the combat feels a bit 1 dimensional where most abilities grant 1 mechanic which is usually hitting the enemy, buffing yourself, debuffing the enemy or healing yourself. Abilities can be made more strategic and exciting by granting more than 1 mechanic. For example a new ability for gun users could be made in which they shoot 1 or multiple targets and then push themselves back 2 squares. An idea for the melee users could be hopping over terrain and striking the target.

These are just some suggestions and in the unlikely case that my ideas are considered then they don't have to replicate these EXACT ideas maybe they seem too op or as if they don't belong in the game. Alas I'm excited for the upcoming changes coming to Pirate101.

Ensign
Feb 26, 2015
hello mr ratbeard one thing I would like to ask will pirate101 get any new world or worlds in 2020?

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
waddledede on Dec 31, 2019 wrote:
hello mr ratbeard one thing I would like to ask will pirate101 get any new world or worlds in 2020?
According to the latest producer's letter, Pirate101 will no longer be receiving any story updates. This *technically* leaves room for side worlds to be added, but pick your poison as you wish.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
waddledede on Dec 31, 2019 wrote:
The Kingsisle team has already said that no new worlds are expected in the immediate future. However, they did say that there is plenty of other content in the works.

Let's hope said new thing isn't just a short-term, do-it-once-and-you're-done thing, I want something BRAND NEW already! I'm getting bored!

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
Lookit Light on Jan 2, 2020 wrote:
The Kingsisle team has already said that no new worlds are expected in the immediate future. However, they did say that there is plenty of other content in the works.

Let's hope said new thing isn't just a short-term, do-it-once-and-you're-done thing, I want something BRAND NEW already! I'm getting bored!
They have an unreleased Polaris world in the code of the game, which was found three years ago. Not quite sure why it still waits there...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
chiliman05 on Jan 9, 2020 wrote:
They have an unreleased Polaris world in the code of the game, which was found three years ago. Not quite sure why it still waits there...
At least it's there to be used...they could have easily erased it.

Petty Officer
Mar 08, 2017
is there gonna be a figure irl of kane? i would love to have one!

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Ratbeard, have you been marooned again? You appear to be unresponsive to our inquiries.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Jan 13, 2020 wrote:
Ratbeard, have you been marooned again? You appear to be unresponsive to our inquiries.
Probably very busy on something for W101

Ensign
Dec 23, 2011
It seems that Ratbeard is busy working on something for Wizard. I don't think we'll ever get our questions answered.

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
Last response from Ratbeard (which is always welcomed and look forward to) was in October - 4 months ago.

One improvement that needs to be done is sending emails of game bugs and issues that directly effect a pirates progress in the game. I recently tried to send an email through pirate101.com under the Help subject - contact us tab. While this isn't directly game - it definitely effects game

I couldn't get it to go the email to go through from this website. I've tried a couple times. I guess i might as well trash Scratch since I can't send an email for help and I no longer am able to level him

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
In Search of Yum on Feb 11, 2020 wrote:
Last response from Ratbeard (which is always welcomed and look forward to) was in October - 4 months ago.

One improvement that needs to be done is sending emails of game bugs and issues that directly effect a pirates progress in the game. I recently tried to send an email through pirate101.com under the Help subject - contact us tab. While this isn't directly game - it definitely effects game

I couldn't get it to go the email to go through from this website. I've tried a couple times. I guess i might as well trash Scratch since I can't send an email for help and I no longer am able to level him
YIKES! Don't do that! If you're having trouble with contacting Support, then try making a post in the Bilge Pump and label it with an "Attention Bat Masterson", and see if you get some help.
I had the same trouble when I was trying to claim my crowns prize from a KI Live, Bat was very helpful.

Good Luck!