Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

New PvP Rewards

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
I want to address the elephant in the room here: the new PvP rewards. Before we all go raking KI over the coals, I'd like one question to be answered by KI: What was the purpose of these new Dark Sea hoods?
  • Do they exist to provide an interesting, cosmetic-only PvP reward?
  • Were they intended to be a powerful and viable piece of PvP-viable gear for the most successful PvP players to use?
If they were intended to be cosmetic-only, they were a "success" but I disagree with how they were implemented and their very existence. The PvP community has grown to expect purchasable rewards for reaching champion other than pets and mounts and suddenly discontinuing that and reverting to cosmetic gear without communication (that currently has no rank requirement btw, but that's a different post) is very disappointing. The biggest reason to do ranked PvP is for the rewards. Although I enjoy PvP as much as anyone, the current ranked meta is more than a little toxic (everyone successful is utilizing incredibly broken strategies). Having the only rewards be items that make 0 impact on gameplay de-incentivizes people to actually do ranked PvP even further than they already are.

If they were intended to be PvP-viable gear, they were a miserable failure of epic proportions. These hats are all but strictly worse than Moo Manchu gear (gear attainable at level 65, mind you). Powers are an integral part of PvP gear, and providing stats only gear ensures that it will never be used in serious PvP. Thus, if the goal was to create PvP viable gear, I suggest adding intriguing powers to these helmets to make them somewhat viable. The community is happy to provide feedback on the balance of these powers.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Unfortunately these new "PvP rewards" just show how out of touch KI is with Pirates and how little resources the game gets.

First, whoever in the KI team thought these helmets would be suitable rewards must have never played this game, much less tried PvP. These helmets are objectively worse than any other helm that currently sees play in PvP AND PvE.

Now was the goal here to introduce stat based gear? If that was the goal then please understand that any stat boost only gear needs to have very high stats to overcome the advantage power based gear has. If not, then just add a unique power(s) to it the same way it was done for the Assassin's Gloom weapons from last season. At least those weapons brought something NEW to the table, making them worth ranking up for. These helms do not bring anything to us players.

Second, the lack of rank requirement and powers for these weapons really shows how little resources KI puts into this game. Did the team just forget that season change was happening last night? These helms look like very incomplete projects. Its disrespectful to the small community of players that still play this game.

Either just swap out these helms and put back the regular past Spring weapons, or add some other new weapons like last season's weapons to motivate the ranked community to play and rank up. Heck you could reuse old weapon models to save on resources, I dont think anyone would care. Just add unique powers/epics/stats/etc not seen in any other weapons before to motivate players to fight for something new.

But these current helms? It's a shame that the game has come to this.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
For me, it seems like the KI community itself is completely out of touch with Pirate101 in general. (opinion) You look at how Doom Mojo was implemented recently, and how it took so long for them to decide to ban it for pvp use. (I still have the favoring view that it needs to be removed from scratch) So then the question becomes, "why stat gear?" While Wiz and Pirate are two different games, I assume they look at wiz, which, at the moment heavily utilizes stats over item cards, and thought "eh, maybe that's the same for pirates" which isn't the case.

Even if they were meant to be cosmetic only (why are they giving stats then?) from the few pictures I seen, it doesn't look too good in that regard, and I don't think most people want pvp rewards to be cosmetic (i could be wrong, of course.)

Hoping they make changes as well.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor of awe... on Mar 20, 2019 wrote:
For me, it seems like the KI community itself is completely out of touch with Pirate101 in general. (opinion) You look at how Doom Mojo was implemented recently, and how it took so long for them to decide to ban it for pvp use. (I still have the favoring view that it needs to be removed from scratch) So then the question becomes, "why stat gear?" While Wiz and Pirate are two different games, I assume they look at wiz, which, at the moment heavily utilizes stats over item cards, and thought "eh, maybe that's the same for pirates" which isn't the case.

Even if they were meant to be cosmetic only (why are they giving stats then?) from the few pictures I seen, it doesn't look too good in that regard, and I don't think most people want pvp rewards to be cosmetic (i could be wrong, of course.)

Hoping they make changes as well.
I agree that this new gear seems purely cosmetic ( in which case it should be moved to the Black Market ).
However, I think that KI is trying to put something new in Ranked PVP to attract more players. Hopefully, KI devs will be monitoring these responses.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
In a similar fashion to the Obsidian dropped gear "rewards" these are just as bad. It is very clear that whoever is responsible for itemization does not play Pirate101.

Administrator
anecorbie on Mar 21, 2019 wrote:
I agree that this new gear seems purely cosmetic ( in which case it should be moved to the Black Market ).
However, I think that KI is trying to put something new in Ranked PVP to attract more players. Hopefully, KI devs will be monitoring these responses.
I'm taking notes! :)

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Mar 21, 2019 wrote:
I'm going to agree with you. I haven;t seen the new hoods yet, but I can agree on one thing: they are at least trying.

I'm not going to say "Not good enough" or and of that nonsense (honestly, it's the LAST thing we need right now), but I will say that they can do better. Maybe someone out there could state the main issues (aside form lack of storyline) that trouble us right now. Then they could be sent to someone in the team who is still a Pirate lover. I would state the problems myself, but I have little idea what they actually are. Sorry.

Ensign
Dec 23, 2010
i See this as much more then possible kill off of rank pvp in the game witch is likely to happen .
If Ki made a mistake due to whatever reasons named above by other players why wouldn't KI calculate how much money the game makes from people who pvp and what income they stand to lose with this change of reward to rank pvp and loss of incentive .I like to name few of so many things players spent money on to be even able to enter a rank match and have any kind of remote chance to win a match .First off the bundles sales are likely mostly sold to pvp players , all the crown shop stat eye patch , pets , pet energy to train a 1000 pets to make one for pvp ,pvp ppl buy more companions then any other or all other players combined in the game ,the numbers on how many packs are opened to get those companions like Baar and others most be huge , crown shop and pack weapons sales and on and on , there is a list a day long for it .

And second this game doesnt have nearly enough updates as is and any change that hurts the game like this could just bring the game down .
And last why not add more rewards not less .

I'm sorry if i sound harsh but this change is really bad , i mean really really bad not to at least bring back the old spring weapons.

Ensign
Oct 02, 2016
Bat Masterson on Mar 22, 2019 wrote:
I'm taking notes! :)
Taking these current items into the Black Market or attracting more players to pvp? Which one do you mean when you say you are taking notes? I am fairly new to the pvp scene and seen the old rewards vs these new ones. My input is that these new rewards disinterest me and the old rewards were better and should probably stay. Why should old rewards be removed anyways? You guys don't remove any gear from Dueling Diego on Wizard101. Why should Pirates be treated differently?