Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The Future of Pirate101?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 27, 2012
Pirate101 has always been my favorite game since I started in 2013.

For 6 years I really enjoyed this game and I'm still one of the people that lives among the dropping population because of the better graphics and better battle system. I have to be really honest with myself, I really don't blame Kingsisle for leaving P101 left out with just 1 arc of the story while W101 has 3 arcs in, its still one of my all time favorites regardless. Its just that the game is feeling left out while W101 is getting more, 3 arcs in that game. P101 really deserves more but I don't know when will that happen. A few months ago I went solo V.s. Kane on my Lvl 70 , it was the most challenging boss I ever fought in my life and I'm actually one of the people that made the impossible possible.

About the future of P101 its really uncertain because it just get mini updates like skeleton key bosses, or dreadnaught etc. It would be nice if it had some huge update that can make the P101 population go through the roof again, but its been like like about 1 or 2 years since the last huge update, still nothing. The reason why I still play this game is because I still love the graphics and love this game. I really support P101 despite the lack of huge updates that takes like 2-3 years to be released. I just hope Kingsisle did something to make the game a lot better instead of just letting P101 being left out. Either way, its just best for me to be patient and hope good things will happen especially for this game, and I hope I encourage people to do the same and hopefully good things will happen especially for P101 and hopefully this game will grow again.

Pirate Name: Garrett Paisley
Class: Swashbuckler (Lvl 70)

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Lookit Light on Apr 22, 2019 wrote:
Oh dear, I think I kicked a bee's nest here. The fact that we're still here speaks volumes. I'm just going to ignore this bee's nest and WAIT, okay?
Ignoring a hornet's nest, won't prevent you from being stung.

You had mentioned that Pirates can't doesn't make enough revenue to stand on its own. But clearly Wizards does. What's the main difference between Wizards, and Pirates? The side content.

Wiz has gardening, and fishing, crafting, and more that I'm honestly not that familiar with. Wizards even has loot boxes in the form of the crowns packs.

So, why is KI fully capable of using these to generate revenue from Wiz, but appears completely unable to do so for Pirates?

I know there is a separate thread, where Anecorbie asked why we didn't get an useable table that was added to Wiz. Bat's reply was that the code for Pirates was too complicated. I don't want to read too much into this, but it does suggest that for some reason, KI no longer has programmers that are fully familiar with Pirate101's coding.

(Ratbeard doesn't count. With all due respect to Ratbeard, he's a department head in charge of programming. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, Ratbeard is probably too busy running the department to do any actual programming)

Ensign
Apr 12, 2019
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
veteran155 on Apr 22, 2019 wrote:

For 6 years I really enjoyed this game and I'm still one of the people that lives among the dropping population because of the better graphics and better battle system. I have to be really honest with myself, I really don't blame Kingsisle for leaving P101 left out with just 1 arc of the story while W101 has 3 arcs in, its still one of my all time favorites regardless. Its just that the game is feeling left out while W101 is getting more, 3 arcs in that game. P101 really deserves more but I don't know when will that happen. A few months ago I went solo V.s. Kane on my Lvl 70 , it was the most challenging boss I ever fought in my life and I'm actually one of the people that made the impossible possible.

About the future of P101 its really uncertain because it just get mini updates like skeleton key bosses, or dreadnaught etc. It would be nice if it had some huge update that can make the P101 population go through the roof again, but its been like like about 1 or 2 years since the last huge update, still nothing. The reason why I still play this game is because I still love the graphics and love this game. I really support P101 despite the lack of huge updates that takes like 2-3 years to be released. I just hope Kingsisle did something to make the game a lot better instead of just letting P101 being left out. Either way, its just best for me to be patient and hope good things will happen especially for this game, and I hope I encourage people to do the same and hopefully good things will happen especially for P101 and hopefully this game will grow again.

Welcome to the message boards, Garret Paisley! Congratulations and welcome to the club ( of those who soloed Kane )! I wish we had a badge for that!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Apr 22, 2019 wrote:
Oh dear, I think I kicked a bee's nest here. The fact that we're still here speaks volumes. I'm just going to ignore this bee's nest and WAIT, okay?
"Yet have I tarried..." William Shakespeare, Troilus and Cressida.( This guy has a quote for everything! One of the reasons why I love Shakespeare. )
We have waited and waited again and yet again. Were you here during the first hiatus? We're sick of waiting and the silence from KI about our game. Nothing personally against you or your post, but when anyone chirps merrily that we have to wait because KI LOOOVES P101and is working on this game ( contrary to the evidence ) it just makes us old players get angry.
Personally, not feeling the love, KI.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
CdeWinter on Apr 23, 2019 wrote:
Ignoring a hornet's nest, won't prevent you from being stung.

You had mentioned that Pirates can't doesn't make enough revenue to stand on its own. But clearly Wizards does. What's the main difference between Wizards, and Pirates? The side content.

Wiz has gardening, and fishing, crafting, and more that I'm honestly not that familiar with. Wizards even has loot boxes in the form of the crowns packs.

So, why is KI fully capable of using these to generate revenue from Wiz, but appears completely unable to do so for Pirates?

I know there is a separate thread, where Anecorbie asked why we didn't get an useable table that was added to Wiz. Bat's reply was that the code for Pirates was too complicated. I don't want to read too much into this, but it does suggest that for some reason, KI no longer has programmers that are fully familiar with Pirate101's coding.

(Ratbeard doesn't count. With all due respect to Ratbeard, he's a department head in charge of programming. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, Ratbeard is probably too busy running the department to do any actual programming)
How do you know that Pirate 101 doesn't make enough revenue to stand on its own?

Pirate 101 has more side content then it used to, like Ship PVP. I feel like Ranked Ship PVP and Crafting could be coming soon as both of these should be able to increase Pirate 101's revenue.

Also your post assumes Pirate 101 and Wizard 101 both use the same graphics program, they may not. If they don't use the same graphics program it could be very well that it would be too complicated to code the table you can sit at in Pirate 101.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
veteran155 on Apr 22, 2019 wrote:

Welcome dearly! Have I seen you in game somewhere? Fully agree with you here! Welcome to all the peoples!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Apr 23, 2019 wrote:
How do you know that Pirate 101 doesn't make enough revenue to stand on its own?

Pirate 101 has more side content then it used to, like Ship PVP. I feel like Ranked Ship PVP and Crafting could be coming soon as both of these should be able to increase Pirate 101's revenue.

Also your post assumes Pirate 101 and Wizard 101 both use the same graphics program, they may not. If they don't use the same graphics program it could be very well that it would be too complicated to code the table you can sit at in Pirate 101.
There's no reason to attack CDeWinter. She was basing her statement on the comment from Lookit Light. He makes the contention that P101 isn't generating enough revenue to maintain itself. ( And this may be true ).
The only side content that P101 has is Pet PVP, Ranked ( or practice PVP ), Ship PVP, Obsidian Dungeons, Dreadnaught & Pirate's Regatta. These are all combat related and players are tired of farming. There is nothing here like Crafting, Gardening, or Fishing; peaceful, creative & rewarding activities for Free to Play and members alike. Not to mention the fun events that W101 has twice a year like Lost Pages or Five BOXES. And what about the Halloween quests they get?
It isn't just her post "assuming" that P101's coding ( not graphics ),is more complicated, Bat Masterson has said this himself in my post asking about the Friendship Table and why didn't we get it too.
My post : a request for KingsIsle, ( I believe it was called ). Anyway, it was in February and in the Tavern or Shpyards, if you can't find it that way.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
* SIGH * KI has issued yet another new pack for W101. When will we get our turn?

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009

It was the previous poster, who I quoted, that made the claim that Pirate101 doesn't make enough revenue to stand on its own. Clearly, KI must be at least breaking even with the game, since they haven't completely shut it down.

Yes, Pirate101 does have more side content than it used. But it's still not that much side content. Not everyone is interested in PVP. Also, the PVP areas are in the free to play areas. Is there anything about PVP, besides gather the top gear, that drives a player spend money on a subscription or on crowns?

Wiz and Pirates do use the same engine Gamebyro, which you can check out on the Gamebyro homesite.
But, again, I had said that I hoped I'm not correct in thinking that KI doesn't have programmers left who are familiar with Pirate101's coding. Cause, that would just be bad business sense.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009

Pirate101 may be holding its own revenue-wise since the first huge drop-off of players during the first long storyline drought. Perhaps enough new players have found the game.I like to hope so.

Long-time subscribers who play both games are questioning more and more whether we are getting value for our money here. We pay the same amount for both games. If Pirate101 has a more complicated coding system, it needs MORE resources, not less.

Who is it that has the vision for the future of Pirate101? Is there ANYONE whose job it is to plan for what Pirates will be doing this year and next year and the year after that? Why give us dungeons to farm new gear? Where are we going next that we will need it?

That is what I would like to see -- a Producer's letter or other communication that looks to the future rather than recaps the past. I'm getting tired of being becalmed here.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Apr 24, 2019 wrote:
* SIGH * KI has issued yet another new pack for W101. When will we get our turn?
Sometime this year, I should think.

I just want to be hopeful. I know that KI loves and cares about this game. Proof? We're all still here, and I've seen a couple new people on these message boards! Ratbeard has given a reply on this post! This is proof that I still have good reason to WAIT!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Apr 25, 2019 wrote:
Sometime this year, I should think.

I just want to be hopeful. I know that KI loves and cares about this game. Proof? We're all still here, and I've seen a couple new people on these message boards! Ratbeard has given a reply on this post! This is proof that I still have good reason to WAIT!
I'm sorry, but the fact WE'RE still here and seeing new members posting, isn't proof that KI loves and cares about this game. ( This is just proof that WE love this game. ) Proof from KI needs to be more solid than RB posting.
Even a tiny hint would be appreciated.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Apr 24, 2019 wrote:
It was the previous poster, who I quoted, that made the claim that Pirate101 doesn't make enough revenue to stand on its own. Clearly, KI must be at least breaking even with the game, since they haven't completely shut it down.

Yes, Pirate101 does have more side content than it used. But it's still not that much side content. Not everyone is interested in PVP. Also, the PVP areas are in the free to play areas. Is there anything about PVP, besides gather the top gear, that drives a player spend money on a subscription or on crowns?

Wiz and Pirates do use the same engine Gamebyro, which you can check out on the Gamebyro homesite.
But, again, I had said that I hoped I'm not correct in thinking that KI doesn't have programmers left who are familiar with Pirate101's coding. Cause, that would just be bad business sense.
Let's be honest here, ranked PVP is possibly the one thing generating revenue for this game. ( Besides the mount and pet collectors ).

This is why we got ranked before any other side activity: to engage in Ranked PVP, a player must have membership or spend crowns for a pass.
But this is drying up, the Hall has been practically empty for the past year & a 1/2.

Side activities ( if run on the W101 model ), will not cost crowns or generate memberships ( unless the player needs to access the higher worlds for recipes, reagents or training. This would be the same for seeds, gardening spells, higher level fish & fishing spells/lures. )
At this moment in the history of this game, only a story line update ( of more than 5 levels ) plus at least one of the side content we've been asking for, will rescue this game. ( And I'm truly saddened to say that this will probably not happen. )
Think about this, we're in our seventh year and during those years we've had 5 years of waiting for significant content. ( I'm not counting the year after Aquila, because we got some awesome QoL features. )

Ensign
Oct 21, 2013
I have been playing P101 on and off throughout the years. I was there at the peak of this game, and though I never committed to it like I did with W101, in my opinion, I think that P101 is the superior game. I find it much more enjoyable.

It truly saddens me, the state of the game right now. Both W101 and P101 are amazing games and they've given me many hours of entertainment, many great friends and precious memories. KI owes the P101 fanbase a lot, to be frank. The bare minimum KI can do is establish good communication with us, we deserve to know what is happening, and if we should be looking forward to something. It is all guessing-games when it comes to the future of P101, and as players who spend money on the game, I am truly let down by KI's approach to us.

Yes, a lot of the fanbase have left, but the remaining, I have noticed, are very loyal towards the game and still play. Many of us have been hanging onto P101 for a very long time, and I think it is about time that we hear something from KI.

Please KI, though the P101 player base is not the largest, and though almost every area in the game is barren, P101 can still be recovered with good and frequent communication, relevant quality of life updates, and work on the main storyline and content. Rome was not built in a day, and neither will P101 come back to life immediately, but I truly think it is possible if KI tries.

I have noticed, the P101 fanbase is very loyal towards this game, so any effort will be appreciated and it will not go to waste. Many still show interest in this game - because it is! P101 has massive potential! It means a lot to so, so many people. So much nostalgia and memories. KI, please do not give up on this amazing game.

Ensign
Nov 18, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 27, 2019 wrote:
Let's be honest here, ranked PVP is possibly the one thing generating revenue for this game. ( Besides the mount and pet collectors ).

This is why we got ranked before any other side activity: to engage in Ranked PVP, a player must have membership or spend crowns for a pass.
But this is drying up, the Hall has been practically empty for the past year & a 1/2.

Side activities ( if run on the W101 model ), will not cost crowns or generate memberships ( unless the player needs to access the higher worlds for recipes, reagents or training. This would be the same for seeds, gardening spells, higher level fish & fishing spells/lures. )
At this moment in the history of this game, only a story line update ( of more than 5 levels ) plus at least one of the side content we've been asking for, will rescue this game. ( And I'm truly saddened to say that this will probably not happen. )
Think about this, we're in our seventh year and during those years we've had 5 years of waiting for significant content. ( I'm not counting the year after Aquila, because we got some awesome QoL features. )
I honestly wouldn't mind a quality story update of only 5 levels.

If you notice, the majority of (or at least a lot of) Wiz's story updates are only 5 levels. I am not entirely sure as I don't play Wiz, but I don't think they ever received a 15 lvl update like we did with MB/AQ.

I stopped playing Pirate during the first 3 year hiatus, came back with Valencia pt 2, was so underwhelmed with how they butchered the storyline that I never bothered to play it and left again.

I am now back for nostalgia's sake as I am bored and decided I wanted to at least play out the rest of game, as I would probably be upset with myself if it gets shut down before I reached lvl 70.

I have been reading this thread for the couple past weeks, and while there are some conflicting onions, I have to agree with the more pessimistic(realistic) points. KI's silence is a flashing, beeping, billboard sign of what's to come. 'NOTHING'.

Nikita Devereaux 65
Nikita Xiriga 65
Wicked Nikita 65
Reckless Nikita 65
Fiery Nikita 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
N1ckee on Apr 29, 2019 wrote:
I honestly wouldn't mind a quality story update of only 5 levels.

If you notice, the majority of (or at least a lot of) Wiz's story updates are only 5 levels. I am not entirely sure as I don't play Wiz, but I don't think they ever received a 15 lvl update like we did with MB/AQ.

I stopped playing Pirate during the first 3 year hiatus, came back with Valencia pt 2, was so underwhelmed with how they butchered the storyline that I never bothered to play it and left again.

I am now back for nostalgia's sake as I am bored and decided I wanted to at least play out the rest of game, as I would probably be upset with myself if it gets shut down before I reached lvl 70.

I have been reading this thread for the couple past weeks, and while there are some conflicting onions, I have to agree with the more pessimistic(realistic) points. KI's silence is a flashing, beeping, billboard sign of what's to come. 'NOTHING'.

Nikita Devereaux 65
Nikita Xiriga 65
Wicked Nikita 65
Reckless Nikita 65
Fiery Nikita 65
But wizards didn't have to wait every 3 years to gain 5 levels. And I believe I got a massive 10 level boost in Khrysalis.
It would be different if we got those updates evrey 1 - 2 years like W101, then we could have a 5 level increase.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
I was just thinking: Even IF we get a teaser of what's to come, it may not be good at all. Remember that one Vadima's Vision of something cool looking that turned out to be a HOUSE?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
darkmoordude on Apr 30, 2019 wrote:
I was just thinking: Even IF we get a teaser of what's to come, it may not be good at all. Remember that one Vadima's Vision of something cool looking that turned out to be a HOUSE?
LOL I remember that and all the speculation it caused. Actually, a hint that generates some good speculations would be good right now; it would give us something to talk about.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I wouldn't mind a new house. It would give me something to do. Even an Emperor's Villa can get boring, especially if it's glitched so everything's black and you can't place anything. A new house would be nice, really. Every bit counts!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Right, that was when the Smuggler's Cove was introduced, which is actually a good house to have, because of the wishing well that occasionally gives Scrip.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on May 1, 2019 wrote:
I wouldn't mind a new house. It would give me something to do. Even an Emperor's Villa can get boring, especially if it's glitched so everything's black and you can't place anything. A new house would be nice, really. Every bit counts!
Is your Emperor's Villa glitched? Have you contacted Support?

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
anecorbie on May 1, 2019 wrote:
LOL I remember that and all the speculation it caused. Actually, a hint that generates some good speculations would be good right now; it would give us something to talk about.
I remember almost two years ago, when we were given a hint that the story would be provided to us in smaller, bite sized portions.

https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/producers_letter/august2017

.....still waiting.

I was also promised that the merging of the two game development teams into one MMO team would provide, "one elite team working to discover new fun things for wizards and pirates". However, that's when the problems started for Pirate101.

https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/producers_letter/july2015

Words no longer matter for me when it comes to Pirate101. Only action.

I love this game, but paying the same price to play it as Wizard101 and it is treated worse than their mobile games, it becomes harder to justify logging in (for the last year level 70s have just grinded skeleton key bosses for new content...that's it).

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
Closed Beta player and Boochbeard Bundle purchaser here. I enjoy the game but due to a lack of updates and care by KI it's hard to find any sort of motivation to play it outside of the occasional costume project. While I do also play Wizard101 I do wish KI would focus more on Pirate101 and less on everything else. I think you can even tell in the KI Lives that it sometimes feel they're forcing themselves to try to enjoy P101 whenever they do play it.

At this point all we can do as a community is try to put on events and such to try to show and prove to KI that yes, this is a game that's still worth supporting, and until they get that through their thick and stubborn skulls we're not going anywhere with our outcries and demands and desperate pleas for more storyline content rather than just side content and that's it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I just had a disturbing thought: when was the last time we saw a maintanence notice on our boards? If KI isn't even bothering to maintain the game, what does that say about their plans?