Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Building Lesser Companions: The Dogs of Marleybone

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
It's time for another thread on lesser companions! This topic is about dog companions. Let's get going!

Gracie Conrad is earned by "The Guns of Marleybone." She promotes at level 70.

Lt. Springer is given to Swashbucklers during "Fearful Symmetry." He promotes at level 68.

Lucky Jack Russel is given by "Quid Pro Quo" if your parents were lost in search of treasure. He promotes at levels 21, 47, and 67

Private Mills is given to Musketeers during "Fearful Symmetry." He promotes at level 68

Handsome Dan is bought as part of the Admiral's Bundle. He promotes at levels 17 and 36.

Notes:

Gracie Conrad learns the ability Construst Golem after the quest "Anarchy in the MB!"

Gracie Conrad is also the only one with the ability Proximity Mines

Handsome Dan knows the power Rouse

Please share all your ideas on how to train a Pirate's best friend. Let's turn them into very good doggies!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Lookit Light on Nov 6, 2018 wrote:
It's time for another thread on lesser companions! This topic is about dog companions. Let's get going!

Gracie Conrad is earned by "The Guns of Marleybone." She promotes at level 70.

Lt. Springer is given to Swashbucklers during "Fearful Symmetry." He promotes at level 68.

Lucky Jack Russel is given by "Quid Pro Quo" if your parents were lost in search of treasure. He promotes at levels 21, 47, and 67

Private Mills is given to Musketeers during "Fearful Symmetry." He promotes at level 68

Handsome Dan is bought as part of the Admiral's Bundle. He promotes at levels 17 and 36.

Notes:

Gracie Conrad learns the ability Construst Golem after the quest "Anarchy in the MB!"

Gracie Conrad is also the only one with the ability Proximity Mines

Handsome Dan knows the power Rouse

Please share all your ideas on how to train a Pirate's best friend. Let's turn them into very good doggies!
Gracie is awesome. I always give her more Second Chance and she makes great use of it.

Lt. Springer I haven't used that much, since my Swashbuckler just recruited him, but I do like his style.

I think I managed to recruit Lucky Jack on most of my pirates somehow - I guess I just like the treasure search option. He is a solid member of the team, but he struggles on the final promotion quest.

Private Mills is okay - a musketeer among many musketeers.

Handsome Dan is a plucky little guy, and he does tend to critical fairly often for me. His combo weapon gives him both slashing and shooting attacks.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
I think an interesting direction to go with Gracie would be to make her a full on summoner comp. We kind of see a glimmer of what that would look like in Old Scratch, but his main draw is mojo flow. It would be interesting to have a privateer companion who could be a reliable source of cannon fodder, and it could add some diversity to the late game pve meta.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I myself own all of them except Lt. Springer, and I've seen him in action, so I can give my own opinions.

Gracie's Mines and Golem Summon certainly make her unique, but she lacks Relentless. She seems best reacting to enemy attacks, with two ranks of Second Chance.

Private Mills is good in a pinch, but there are better Musketeers out there.

Lucky Jack is quite the fighter. A lot of Epic Talents, plus the availability of Relentless, makes him a nice companion. I'm surprised he isn't used more often!

Handsome Dan's bite is worse than his bark. He has a good Critical chance, plus the ability to heal makes him a supporter, too.

From what I've seen of Lt. Springer, he is best with high Will, Relentless 2, Blade Storm 2, and reacting talents like Riposte.

Ensign
Mar 30, 2018
Gracie Conrad: I've found her to be pretty useful, mostly because she's currently at a higher level than all of my other companions. I've found her mines to be extremely useful, especially when I combine them with the bear traps that Louie and I have. I've also found her to be pretty decent in ordinary combat, and she seems to be my second strongest melee-focused companion after El Toro.

Lucky Jack Russell: Don't know too much about him yet, as I only have him on my Level 20 Privateer who I don't play as often. He's decent, I guess, but he's overtaken by most companions once they reach a higher level than him.

Private Mills: Eh, I guess he's fine if you just need a high level companion to use in a fight or two, He's definitely not as good as Bonnie Anne or Louie Le Bisque, but he's decent if you just need to fill up your team.

I don't actually have Lt. Springer or Handsome Dan as a companion on any of my characters, so I won't be able to discuss how I think they are. From what I've heard though, Dan seems to be pretty decent while Springer just seems to be a "normal" swashbuckler.

Ensign
Feb 16, 2013
I only have Gracie Conrad and Lucky Jack Russell, but they're both solid options. Gracie is a lot of fun; I love those inflatable wrench animations.

As a Privateer main, Lucky Jack Russell is probably my strongest companion. I filled him up with as many stacks of Relentless, Blade Storm, and Vengeance Strikes as possible. For his stat boosts, give him as much will as possible (for the crits), plus as many stacks of rough and tough as you can.

The only companion I have that comes close to dealing as much damage as Jack is the Marchioness, but she can't have as many additional strike epics as Jack can. If you use your privateer will/crit boost and give him a damage reduction buff, he becomes basically unstoppable and will kill pretty much anything in reach.

Summary: If you are a privateer, I believe that you are doing yourself a disservice by not utilizing Lucky Jack Russell. He is almost broken if you build him right and give him a few buffs.