Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Doom Mojo in PVE

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Now that Doom Mojo is banned in Ranked PVP ( pauses for applause ). There is still the problem of Doom Mojo in PVE. Why use a power which destroys your team? If you consider that players are teaming up to defeat hard content, what if a boosted Scratch fires off a Doom Mojo? There go you and the entire team-up ( and defeated companions on Bed Rest ) through no fault of the others in the team-up.
Why give Scratch a power that can't be used safely?

I'm asking KI to consider reducing the damage to the team. It can still have full effect against the enemy, but do half the damage to those using Doom Mojo.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
anecorbie on Sep 19, 2018 wrote:
Now that Doom Mojo is banned in Ranked PVP ( pauses for applause ). There is still the problem of Doom Mojo in PVE. Why use a power which destroys your team? If you consider that players are teaming up to defeat hard content, what if a boosted Scratch fires off a Doom Mojo? There go you and the entire team-up ( and defeated companions on Bed Rest ) through no fault of the others in the team-up.
Why give Scratch a power that can't be used safely?

I'm asking KI to consider reducing the damage to the team. It can still have full effect against the enemy, but do half the damage to those using Doom Mojo.
I personally think this is a good trade off. This hits every enemy on the board regardless of line of sight. While Heat Metal does a similar action, it is based solely on your opponents stats (so you can't buff yourself and determine the damage). There has to be a tradeoff for this power.

Can't you just increase your spell resist for yourself and crew to mitigate the damage?

Now should it critical or damage other players in PvE....no. I believe it should just damage all the enemies and your own crew at the same damage/rate it is now. This change is needed only to prevent trolls out there in Team-Up land, not necessarily to protect your own player and crew.

Lieutenant
Jan 23, 2011
I would suggest not allowing the power to hit other pirate's and their companions. If YOU use the power, then that is on YOU and only YOU should take damage from it.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
I feel bad for people who haven't gotten the high tier gear from Moo yet, because of they have to use team up queue, I wouldn't join with a privy and swash since they're the only main classes that can really ruin a run with it.

Shouldn't be in the game, sigh.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Oran from Urz on Sep 19, 2018 wrote:
I personally think this is a good trade off. This hits every enemy on the board regardless of line of sight. While Heat Metal does a similar action, it is based solely on your opponents stats (so you can't buff yourself and determine the damage). There has to be a tradeoff for this power.

Can't you just increase your spell resist for yourself and crew to mitigate the damage?

Now should it critical or damage other players in PvE....no. I believe it should just damage all the enemies and your own crew at the same damage/rate it is now. This change is needed only to prevent trolls out there in Team-Up land, not necessarily to protect your own player and crew.
Your suggestion of raising spell resist is good, but doesn't apply to all classes. I'm a swashbuckler, if I were to use spell resist gear, I would have to sacrifice on my main stats.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
anecorbie on Sep 20, 2018 wrote:
Your suggestion of raising spell resist is good, but doesn't apply to all classes. I'm a swashbuckler, if I were to use spell resist gear, I would have to sacrifice on my main stats.
This was probably to address the previous threads concerns about Scratch's powers not being "unique" for the Witchdoctor (if your remember the posts about how Mojo shouldn't have been given to Scratch, a universal companion, but rather to a companion unique to the WD).

Since WDs come with natural magic resist....it makes sense other classes would have to sacrifice different stats to use Scratch "in the best way possible".

....but now that Mojo Doom was removed from PvP, it still doesn't help on that side of the house.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
It's a power that will be prone to being abused by the same kind of people who are amused by joining a team through a dungeon and then abandoning ship when things get rough for the person they're "helping".

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
Reduce the damage that Doom Mojo can do. Then make it similar to the Nova Blaster power where it debuffs Scratch's Weapon Power (and maybe mojo) for X number of turns. Then make it just hit the enemy team. Seems fair to me...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Sep 20, 2018 wrote:
It's a power that will be prone to being abused by the same kind of people who are amused by joining a team through a dungeon and then abandoning ship when things get rough for the person they're "helping".
1. A max level pirate at the gold cap has enough gold to revive Old Scratch 5 - 6 times in a row.
2. A privateer using just one will boost ( or 2 if they choose to use Marchioness ) will be able to boost Scratch just enough to severely injure if not out-right defeat any one on the team.
3. A witchdoctor using Greater Juju and Carcarious's will boost can do the same.
4. If the trolling WD or Privy goes in third or last place and others in the team-up use Scratchy's Flow Mojo Flow; then they will have created a "perfect storm" of team destruction.
All this resulting in players best teams being defeated and going on bed rest for 7-8 hours ( 5 - 6 hours, if you've given your companions a rank or 2 in "Scrapper".)
Or making them spend the gold to revive their companions.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
anecorbie on Sep 22, 2018 wrote:
1. A max level pirate at the gold cap has enough gold to revive Old Scratch 5 - 6 times in a row.
2. A privateer using just one will boost ( or 2 if they choose to use Marchioness ) will be able to boost Scratch just enough to severely injure if not out-right defeat any one on the team.
3. A witchdoctor using Greater Juju and Carcarious's will boost can do the same.
4. If the trolling WD or Privy goes in third or last place and others in the team-up use Scratchy's Flow Mojo Flow; then they will have created a "perfect storm" of team destruction.
All this resulting in players best teams being defeated and going on bed rest for 7-8 hours ( 5 - 6 hours, if you've given your companions a rank or 2 in "Scrapper".)
Or making them spend the gold to revive their companions.
And that is exactly why I don't like to use team up here (to get help) or in W101. I want to know who has my back. I'll join a struggling pirate or wizard if I think I could help, although in general I tend to play buff or heal roles or just attack the minions unless I'm specifically asked to attack the big baddy (unless I'm teaming up to do a thing I need to get done as well).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Sep 23, 2018 wrote:
And that is exactly why I don't like to use team up here (to get help) or in W101. I want to know who has my back. I'll join a struggling pirate or wizard if I think I could help, although in general I tend to play buff or heal roles or just attack the minions unless I'm specifically asked to attack the big baddy (unless I'm teaming up to do a thing I need to get done as well).
Did you read RRRZZZ's post on how his Old Scratch ( on Automatic ) used Doom Mojo in the second turn ( first turn Flow Mojo Flow ) and basically wiped out his team ( fortunately no one else was involved ).

Ensign
Aug 26, 2013
Steven Owlhunter on Sep 19, 2018 wrote:
I would suggest not allowing the power to hit other pirate's and their companions. If YOU use the power, then that is on YOU and only YOU should take damage from it.
it would be good idea to make the power hurting you in trade off for a buff