Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Falmea Friday - the Keymaster

AuthorMessage
Hi Pirates! Let's chat about something new, shall we?

By now, some of you have hopefully had a chance to check out the new skeleton key bosses on Test Realm. For this Falmea Friday, I'd like to ask - which Skeleton Key boss is your favorite so far? If you could change one thing about one of the bosses, what would it be? Any other thoughts for these or future fights like these?

Have a fiery Friday and a wonderful weekend!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013
My favorite skeleton key boss is Count Brastillo de Brass. I like the dynamic the battle provides, take out the leader or quickly be overwhelmed by hard hitting minions. The one thing I’d change about it is making the low health minions monquistadors instead, I just feel like it would be funnier if it was monquistadors dying in one hit and I’ve always wanted to see a tough end game battle with monquistadors in it. As for a future fight, I’ve said it before I’ll say it again- Donkey Hotey, super tough deadly skeleton key boss.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I have only fought Nightmare Scratch and the Duck of Death. Both of these battles I found to be quite challenging and I got defeated over and over again. And when I finally beat the Scratch battle, none of the dropped items were anything to write home about -- weapons that I've been receiving since Aquila, and some Level 25 hats. Gee Whiz -- they were promoted as having unique rewards.AND it's a promotion quest, so in a way putting it behind the key door seems hardly worth the trouble. That being said, if we'd been receiving key drops for the past year in Aquila and Valencia, and I had a half dozen keys at my disposal, it wouldn't be a problem at all, so it will eventually be fair enough, I guess.

I am not a "hard-core" player, and testing this "top level" type of content has never been my strong suit. Without additional keys -- or additional players -- attempting these as a solo casual player was a little discouraging. Do they ALL need to be this hard? Could they be more graduated in difficulty of cheats? I did find another pirate to do the Scratch battle with, but he was Menu Chat, so we didn't really get a chance to compare notes or anything.

Fights like these need BADGES, and more unique drops -- Black Market items, a new pet, some new housing items, a permanent mount, a Crown Shop Companion being unlocked -- something needs to make them worth repeating, or else they will be one-and-done, like many players have treated the Party Barge quests.

Donkey Hotay, Iron Monkey, El Kaboing and Mann the Dog Hunter would be my suggestions for additional battles, if new creatures aren't possible. A lower-level Nautical Gauntlet would be fun, too, and may be helpful for new pirates looking for additional nautical xp before reaching MooShu - somewhere in Tumbleweed or Haunted Skyway?

Thanks very much!

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
If I had to choose one then probably Count Brastillo de Brass simply because it changes it up by requiring you to defeat the boss rather than all enemies like all the others. I'd also change the length of the Silver Bullets buff in the Duck of Death fight up from 2 (3) per basin as it's easy to get side-tracked with defense with all the damage he puts out.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Standards have been around the game for awhile, but I don't think any bosses actually use these. Future skeleton key bosses should incorporate standards during the gameplay/objectives.....and of course a chance for the boss' standard to drop as an obtainable item.

Plus, I think it would be neat to have Ship-based skeleton key bosses too.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Fer me it Captain Blood, the way he heals himself during getting injured be quite the challenge mates, and if I had to a Boss it be the old leader of the Cat Smugglers Captain Swing, fer some of us yet to loot ALL his Treasures!

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
- Deadeye Edward Morgan
- Deadeye Tatiana Morgan

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Professor Falmea on Sep 7, 2018 wrote:
Hi Pirates! Let's chat about something new, shall we?

By now, some of you have hopefully had a chance to check out the new skeleton key bosses on Test Realm. For this Falmea Friday, I'd like to ask - which Skeleton Key boss is your favorite so far? If you could change one thing about one of the bosses, what would it be? Any other thoughts for these or future fights like these?

Have a fiery Friday and a wonderful weekend!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
Well, I do enjoy Skeleton Key bosses, & I don't mind some being nightmare counterparts, but the one thing I expected out of 'em are being original opponents separate from the nightmare SK bosses.

W101 does have original SK bosses, so maybe later on, P101 should have original SK bosses, too. I don't want them to be all nightmare counterparts of enemies we've defeated in the past.

They're still a great addition to P101, though, gives some more replay value to those seeking more stronger hidden challenges. Keep making more like 'em! Thanks!

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
i think Duck of Death is great but what i want to change is make the Blessed Bullets buff last longer than 2 turns. i believe in vanilla fight it's infinite.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
I'd make it a little easier to see in the sewer. Seriously, sitting in the same room and talking to each other about where we were Indigo and I struggled to go to the same boss key door. We've only done two together, but I'm sure he's done more of them without me.

I was somewhat disappointed at the loot drop from Captain Blood, given what a pain in the neck he is.

Lieutenant
Jan 23, 2011
I too enjoy Count Brasstillo de Brass. Him having a different objective in the battle is interesting and fun. I really hope more future bosses will have different objectives such as maybe releasing allies (such as the Water Moles in SI, or helping unleash the Dogs in the Rooke dungeon).

If I could change one thing, it would probably be the addition of more powers being used by the enemy. I love how the Old Scratch battle has constant powers being used by more than just Scratch.

Thanks for your feedback everyone! We'll keep this in mind for future bosses kept behind keys. A new topic shall be posted shortly!