Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

New to P101, Questions on Privateer

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 27, 2014
Hey~
Short intro; I've always played a ton of W101 and recently my friend wanted me to try out P101. So, we're doing a play through of the game, he's a Swashbuckler and I'm a Privateer. I am making this thread to make sure I'm building the right stats and doing things right so I don't have to come back late game and get new gear and what not.

Pirate Info:
Class: Privateer
Level: 10
Origin: Grizzleheim (Naturally Tough)
Death of Parents: Storm

Questions:
  • What companions should I be using as of level 10?
  • What stats should I be focusing on?
  • What kind of weapon should I be using?
  • What talents should I get with Witchdoctor secondary?
  • Any specific gear pieces I should try and get for level 10 ~ 15?
  • Any bad habits I should stay away from or good habits I should develop?
  • What powers should I always have at the ready at level 10 and what are some of they key powers I should keep an eye out for later on?
  • I've been keeping the following totem, amulet, and ring because they give neat talents that I think would be useful; should I be doing this or getting items that actually boost stats?

Totem: Dutchman's Sapphire Charm
Amulet: Shrimpy Agate Necklace
Ring: Sapphire Aztecosaur Ring

~Thanks

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
Hello! My name is Alex, and I have a max privy, swash, and buccaneer.

1) Use whatever works best for you to be honest. Bonnie and Scratch are good for the early game imo.

2) Will for yourself, rough and tough for your companions.

3) Weapons that are will-based. Just stick to the ones you get through the main storyline rewards.

4) Up to Jobu's Breath imo. After that, I'd say save your training point until level 20, and then visit the Clandestine trainers and get those talents.

5) Going to the bazaar and buying gear will work for the majority of the game. You shouldn't need to worry about gear until around level 50, and even then it isn't essential.

6) Keep. Up. With. Your. Nautical. Level. Send any spare companions on Sailin'. This will help you tremendously later on. Right now, nautical may not seem like it matters, but it is essential to finishing this game without too much pain.

7) Look for powers that buff your accuracy and dodge. Also powers that buff will.

8) From my personal experience, I usually change out main gear every 5 levels, and change out amulets, rings, and totems every 10 levels. Focus on totems, amulets, and rings that increase attack power.

I'd like to conclude my statements by saying that one of the beautiful things about Pirate101 is that there is no clear meta. There are tons of strategies and setups that can work, so please don't take my answers as the only answers. This is a great game, and I would definitely recommend continuing your adventures in the Spiral.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Welcome to the Piratin' side of the Spiral, Tyguy2464 -- sounds like you're a very serious player, but honestly, at Level 10, there is not a whole lot of this stuff that you need to worry about. The game won't really start getting difficult until you get to Cool Ranch, and even so, if you are always playing with your friend, any mistakes either of you make can be offset by the fact that you are questing together.

I will, however, try to answer your questions:

1 - Doesn't matter -- use anyone who turns up for work.
2 - Stats are not as important as powers, but your attack damage boost from your Will stat.
3 - Privateers are given mostly the sword-and-shield type weapons through questing, but if you want to try to use something Slashy, Shooty or even Spooky, feel free to experiment and see what feels right to you.
4 - Using Witchdoctor powers, again boosted by Will and Spell Power, you don't really need to worry about particular talents.
5 - Specific gear pieces aren't really needed before MooShu, in my opinion - wear what feels right.
6 - Bad Habit to Avoid - not paying attention to your Nautical Level. Develop the habit of keeping your Nautical Level up near your Pirate's level, it will save lots of time sinking ships for quests, because you won't have to always board and battle on deck.
7 - Privateers are known for boosts and heals. Keeping your crew strong and protected wins battles.
8 - Keep using gear until something catches your eye - no harm in it.

Have fun, win loot, and enjoy Piratin!

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
Tyguy2464 on Jul 2, 2018 wrote:
Hey~
Short intro; I've always played a ton of W101 and recently my friend wanted me to try out P101. So, we're doing a play through of the game, he's a Swashbuckler and I'm a Privateer. I am making this thread to make sure I'm building the right stats and doing things right so I don't have to come back late game and get new gear and what not.

Pirate Info:
Class: Privateer
Level: 10
Origin: Grizzleheim (Naturally Tough)
Death of Parents: Storm

Questions:
  • What companions should I be using as of level 10?
  • What stats should I be focusing on?
  • What kind of weapon should I be using?
  • What talents should I get with Witchdoctor secondary?
  • Any specific gear pieces I should try and get for level 10 ~ 15?
  • Any bad habits I should stay away from or good habits I should develop?
  • What powers should I always have at the ready at level 10 and what are some of they key powers I should keep an eye out for later on?
  • I've been keeping the following totem, amulet, and ring because they give neat talents that I think would be useful; should I be doing this or getting items that actually boost stats?

Totem: Dutchman's Sapphire Charm
Amulet: Shrimpy Agate Necklace
Ring: Sapphire Aztecosaur Ring

~Thanks
Hey Tyguy,

Though I'm a max privy, I still have lots of learning to do. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

1. Marchioness and whoever else you want at that point. Her buff is quite a nice bonus.
2. Will and spell power (for more critical heals with bigger numbers + powerful spells for some nice burst damage).
3. As a privy, you have a lot of options. Go strength based for a more combat sort of build. Go with shooty if you want to do some damage while still focusing on support. Or you could go with a staff...increased range for your heals is always nice.
4. I invested in the entire witch school. The talents and powers there are very useful...this is up to you though. At the very least, get all of the spooky talents.
5. Aim for power card gear. More powers means more ways to deal with the enemies you will face.
6. Though privateer is a support/healer class, don't be afraid to attack. If you are melee, you can do quite a bit of damage in a pinch. If not, your spells can be VERY powerful.
7. Key powers would be Valor's Fortress, The Big Guns, and pretty much all of your buffs. The Discipline line (critical rating) is great. The Call to Arms line (accuracy + dodge) is also an excellent one. Firstmate's Boon (a gear ability that you can farm for at the end of the game) is something to consider getting.
8. The beginning game totem/amulet/ring are very good pieces of gear. They actually vary, so if you run those dungeons again, you can obtain different versions of them. Later on, you may want to upgrade. Again, if you manage to get all power card gear, you're in really good shape.

Don't recall when you get the companion Old Scratch, but he is very useful. He's been my firstmate for a long time. He can buff spell power which means better bombs, spells, heals, and absorbs.

Cedric Moone