Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

over watch 5 is op

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jul 20, 2015
ill get right to the point it is nearly impossible to kill a musket with over watch 5 as you will always be knocked back and i am requesting rat beard to Nerf it i am open for counters

PS i am a

Community Leader
I'll start with saying that I wrote a rather lengthy piece on why overwatch5 is overrated and not particularly great on my duelist101 blog. It should be rather easy to find (site name Pirate101 PvP). Read that if you want my detailed arguments. Basically, I'm not sure that it should be nerfed because it heavily underperforms against 3/5 classes currently. It's only effective vs buckler and buck. As for tips, here you go:
  • Use a hidden unit on the inside edge of their overwatch range and run the rest of your units through the hidden unit. Overwatch won't trigger.
  • Using any unit on the outside edge of their overwatch range will still trigger the overwatch if you run through that unit, but it won't knock you back, allowing you to continue your charge.
  • Contessa and her Gallant Defense works nicely. I'll leave you to discover this interaction yourself ;)
  • Run 2x 5 round hides (Josey's Ring and your boots) plus your 3 round hide that you have trained. Coming out of hides, either use a frenzy or a reduce on their pirate, depending on what sort of protection you and they have on.
  • Once you reduce their pirate, they either have to run away and risk you dodging or uncanny shot your pirate (giving you that second round to hit) before they start running
  • Running one or more true grit units is helpful, but only if you're certain you'll pull an ow5 musket

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
Matthew525011 on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:
I'll start with saying that I wrote a rather lengthy piece on why overwatch5 is overrated and not particularly great on my duelist101 blog. It should be rather easy to find (site name Pirate101 PvP). Read that if you want my detailed arguments. Basically, I'm not sure that it should be nerfed because it heavily underperforms against 3/5 classes currently. It's only effective vs buckler and buck. As for tips, here you go:
  • Use a hidden unit on the inside edge of their overwatch range and run the rest of your units through the hidden unit. Overwatch won't trigger.
  • Using any unit on the outside edge of their overwatch range will still trigger the overwatch if you run through that unit, but it won't knock you back, allowing you to continue your charge.
  • Contessa and her Gallant Defense works nicely. I'll leave you to discover this interaction yourself ;)
  • Run 2x 5 round hides (Josey's Ring and your boots) plus your 3 round hide that you have trained. Coming out of hides, either use a frenzy or a reduce on their pirate, depending on what sort of protection you and they have on.
  • Once you reduce their pirate, they either have to run away and risk you dodging or uncanny shot your pirate (giving you that second round to hit) before they start running
  • Running one or more true grit units is helpful, but only if you're certain you'll pull an ow5 musket
Lucky me, I was able to get an Armada musket. I promptly trained it Overwatch 5 and Burst Fire 1 (which is the common build I've been seeing as of late). Is that useful enough to replace Emmet?

Community Leader
PiratePablo1 on Jun 28, 2018 wrote:
Lucky me, I was able to get an Armada musket. I promptly trained it Overwatch 5 and Burst Fire 1 (which is the common build I've been seeing as of late). Is that useful enough to replace Emmet?

No. Unlike a musketeer pirate with overwatch 5, the armada musket only gets 155 accuracy, which isn't enough to reliably land on high dodge units, particularly pirates in tide/elusive. One hidden reduce or decent-range musket companion will essentially neutralize his effectiveness. What makes ow5 so good is that it's very powerful in the late game. Keeping a companion alive that long is difficult, if not impossible to do, especially versus skilled players. I'd rather have Emmett's slows and reduce

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
Matthew525011 on Jun 29, 2018 wrote:
No. Unlike a musketeer pirate with overwatch 5, the armada musket only gets 155 accuracy, which isn't enough to reliably land on high dodge units, particularly pirates in tide/elusive. One hidden reduce or decent-range musket companion will essentially neutralize his effectiveness. What makes ow5 so good is that it's very powerful in the late game. Keeping a companion alive that long is difficult, if not impossible to do, especially versus skilled players. I'd rather have Emmett's slows and reduce
Ok, thanks. Good to know!