Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Idea On How To Improve Charm / Charming Gaze

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Before I begin this post I will go ahead and predict someone will say this idea will make Witchdoctor's too overpowered but Witchdoctor's are underpowered as is when compared to other classes in ranked PVP, at least from what I hear. Disclaimer: I only have played Musketeer and Privateer as of now.

I got to thinking about Charming Gaze in battle and I realized something that might could really improve it. What if instead of the charmed enemy making a random move, the pirate (or the owner of the pet) that charmed the enemy got to decide the move. This would be useful in boss battles as you could cause an enemy to waste a critical card on another enemy. This could work similar for the Witchdoctor Charm power, if a Witchdoctor successfully charms an enemy they get to decide what the enemy does. Imagine if Kingsisle implemented this idea and unbanned charm in PVP. Witchdoctors would finally become feared because if they managed to Charm a Swashbuckler, they could use the Swashbuckler's black fog card to help their team, if they managed to Charm a Buccaneer they could use the Buccaneer's Reckless Frenzy card causing the Buccaneer to attack 1 of their own companions and lose health, if they managed to Charm a Privateer they could use the Privateer's Blast Of Discord card to cause the Privateer's team to attack each other, and if they managed to Charm a Musketeer they could use the Musketeer's Tempest Of Torpedoes card to try to damage the Musketeer as well as push them back.

I would like to hear thoughts on this idea particularly from Witchdoctor's.

Community Leader
You are 100% correct. This would make witchdoctor and the Charming Gaze epic talent WAY too overpowered, especially if it was allowed in pvp. If I remember correctly, even when it was allowed in pvp, pirates were uncharmable (and if they weren't, they would need to be made uncharmable if the power was ever to be reimplemented). These two talents are already very potent on their own, with the computer controlling the charmed unit (charming gaze being borderline broken as is). Allowing a player to control the charmed unit is blatantly broken. Sorry, this is a terrible idea in regards to game balancing.

As for it making witchdoctor pve easier... witchdoctor pve is a joke in its current state. Scratch is a thing. Charm wouldn't make it any easier than it already is

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I play a witchdoctor as my main character, and I almost never use Charm. Perhaps if I could actually control the charmed opponent, it would make a difference, but then again, there are so many other powers I rely on.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on May 14, 2018 wrote:
Before I begin this post I will go ahead and predict someone will say this idea will make Witchdoctor's too overpowered but Witchdoctor's are underpowered as is when compared to other classes in ranked PVP, at least from what I hear. Disclaimer: I only have played Musketeer and Privateer as of now.

I got to thinking about Charming Gaze in battle and I realized something that might could really improve it. What if instead of the charmed enemy making a random move, the pirate (or the owner of the pet) that charmed the enemy got to decide the move. This would be useful in boss battles as you could cause an enemy to waste a critical card on another enemy. This could work similar for the Witchdoctor Charm power, if a Witchdoctor successfully charms an enemy they get to decide what the enemy does. Imagine if Kingsisle implemented this idea and unbanned charm in PVP. Witchdoctors would finally become feared because if they managed to Charm a Swashbuckler, they could use the Swashbuckler's black fog card to help their team, if they managed to Charm a Buccaneer they could use the Buccaneer's Reckless Frenzy card causing the Buccaneer to attack 1 of their own companions and lose health, if they managed to Charm a Privateer they could use the Privateer's Blast Of Discord card to cause the Privateer's team to attack each other, and if they managed to Charm a Musketeer they could use the Musketeer's Tempest Of Torpedoes card to try to damage the Musketeer as well as push them back.

I would like to hear thoughts on this idea particularly from Witchdoctor's.
I've played a witchdoctor ( through several accounts ) and you've made a few errors about Charm/Charming Gaze:
1. Charm ( the WD power ) is a Power card attack, so the question is not "IF" a WD charms an enemy but "WHEN".
2. Charming Gaze ( from the Masque of the Lotus or by pet with this talent ) is actually a Talent attack triggered by the enemy attempting a melee ( not ranged attack ) on the WD ( or pet ).. It is geared to the WILL of the WD and is matched to the WILL of the enemy ( sometimes it succeeds, sometimes not ).
3. When KI developers were testing Charm/Charming Gaze in ranked PVP, they noticed a problem with battle order, it was announced that as soon as this problem was corrected Charm would be reinstated.
I am opposed to making this a choice of the WD to "take over" another player in Ranked PVP as that will just make the affected player like another companion. As you are well aware even allies, pets or summoned minions aren't under the control of the player, so why should this be any different?
When KI can implement Charm/Gaze to players in Ranked PVP, WD will be powerful again without need to "boost" one of their most effective spells.
As to Charm/Gaze being "OP", it's no more "OP" than Black Fog or Blast of Discord and KI has implemented ways of facing both of these powers.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Addendum: since Charming Gaze is a Talent, it can occur once ( or more if the pet has more ranks in CG ) per round, this would be absolutely OP for the WD to control the behavior of any who are Charmed. Even though Charm/Gaze triggers Witch Hunter this would still be OP.
Also, I believe you're suggesting this because your Musketeer has the Masque of the Lotus ( and possibly a pet with this Talent. )

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on May 15, 2018 wrote:
Addendum: since Charming Gaze is a Talent, it can occur once ( or more if the pet has more ranks in CG ) per round, this would be absolutely OP for the WD to control the behavior of any who are Charmed. Even though Charm/Gaze triggers Witch Hunter this would still be OP.
Also, I believe you're suggesting this because your Musketeer has the Masque of the Lotus ( and possibly a pet with this Talent. )
LOL A Roar A gets owned! Yes A Roar A has the Masque Of The Lotus. While that is true I still want Witchdoctor's to be better in PVP, as do most people / pirates. Perhaps the solution would be to ban charming gaze in PVP but allow Charm with the changes I suggested and as you pointed out it would trigger Witch Hunter which would hopefully balance it.

Two-Faced Aurora "A Roar A" Clegg - Level 70 Musketeer who does not make a roaring noise.

Two-Faced Dino "Die No" Clegg - Level 70 Privateer who can and does die from time to time.

rrrrzzzz on Twitch!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on May 16, 2018 wrote:
LOL A Roar A gets owned! Yes A Roar A has the Masque Of The Lotus. While that is true I still want Witchdoctor's to be better in PVP, as do most people / pirates. Perhaps the solution would be to ban charming gaze in PVP but allow Charm with the changes I suggested and as you pointed out it would trigger Witch Hunter which would hopefully balance it.

Two-Faced Aurora "A Roar A" Clegg - Level 70 Musketeer who does not make a roaring noise.

Two-Faced Dino "Die No" Clegg - Level 70 Privateer who can and does die from time to time.

rrrrzzzz on Twitch!
To make Witchdoctors more viable in Ranked PvP, it would be better to just reinstate Charm/Gaze as it is currently played; it is quite effective.
Also make their WD companions have better Accuracy.