Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Dodge

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 26, 2011
This is driving me crazy. When fighting the Royal Guards they dodge everything and my guys, even with their dodge increased, just stand there and get creamed. Also, they do not block but the guards do. How are you to work a strategy when your crew stand around like sheep for the slaughter. It does not matter who I pick they just stand there and say kill me.

Rainemiester

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
Rainey015 on Aug 27, 2017 wrote:
This is driving me crazy. When fighting the Royal Guards they dodge everything and my guys, even with their dodge increased, just stand there and get creamed. Also, they do not block but the guards do. How are you to work a strategy when your crew stand around like sheep for the slaughter. It does not matter who I pick they just stand there and say kill me.

Rainemiester
I get where you're coming from, believe me. Since this thread is called "Dodge" I'm assuming you're a Swashbuckler and having trouble in Duomo with the Royal Guards. This is how I beat them solo without Blood's Jacket on my own Swashbuckler. The companions I used were Old Scratch, Gracie Conrad, and the Valencian Crab Hermit. Since you cannot rely on Black Fog for raw damage, I used it to hide and buff up using Old Scratch's Mojo buffs. After my mojo was increased, still hidden, I poisoned the guards while using Gracie's land mine to nuke them. Also, while I hid I used Gracie's minion, Crab Hermit's Crawlie, and Old Scratch's summon to distract them guards. Then when it was time for me to attack, it did not matter if First Strike 3 got rid of my hide. The real trick is the Old Scratch buffed bleed out damage Assassin's Strike will do. Combined with Poison from your Assassin's Gloom, you should have no trouble defeating the enemy, without relying on op gear or op pack companions like Moo's Boots, Blood's Jacket or Armada Companions. The Royal Guards have insane agility and insane dodge, so you'll always get crit on while missing, so new strategies are certainly needed in Valencia part 2. Good luck out there and let us pirates know if you need any more helpful tips or advice. In my opinion, people need to understand that Swashbucklers aren't the Black Fog Powerhouse they once were and need to adjust to not having the raw damage boost from Black Fog and come up with new strategies.
Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler)
Corrupt Zane Silver (Max Privateer)
Dark Blaze Sharp (Max Witchdoctor)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 30 Musketeer-in-Training)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Rainey015 on Aug 27, 2017 wrote:

Rainemiester
Welcome to the message boards, Rainey015!
What is your level and your companions levels? If your doing this at level 65, you'll get creamed! Go back and do side quests to raise levels and get gold to raise your companions levels. If you've done all that then have you boosted your companions in any way or shielded them? Even using doubloons in that battle can help a lot!
1. Witches should use Greater Juju
2. Muskets use knockback bombs and a companion with Hold the Line.
3. Bucks, shield and use Whales Might.
4. Swashies use Black Fog and then take the time to boost and shield ( if you have gear or pet grants ). Yes, I know these guards have First Strike3, but with 5 rounds of hide this lets you prepare for battle without being an immediate target.
5. Privateers have the best arsenal to meet the challenges in VA2.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
Hello! I assume you are talking about the Duomo and know that this dungeon has gotten quite the reputation for being a wake up call that prepares for the challenge of valencia part 2. I have 3 recommendations for you

1) Get better gear! Gear that increases dodge or gives you powers that increase dodge and accuracy are essentials for Valencia part 2.

2) Use companions that can dodge while dealing heavy damage. I HIGHLY recommend El Toro as he can increase dodge easily in the first round and can do 300 damage per hit easily. The goal with this battle is to take out the enemies before they take out you. I would also recommend Bonnie Anne and none of the enemies here are muskets so Bonnie is free to sit in the back and overwatch while other companions take the brute of the damage.

3) A bit of an obvious one, but team up exists. Find a group of pirates willing to help! It's ok to go to Skull Island and ask for help as maxes are always looking for something to do.

Hope this helps and see you in the spiral!

- Honest Alexander Templeton Lvl 70
- Cunning Alexander Templeton Lvl 69

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Without knowing the details of your crew, I would suggest using ranged attacks and area attacks that don't target an individual. If you have anything that reduces the enemies dodge and block, whether from a crew attack, third rank of a talent or power, doubloon, or a pet, it would help. Even though it might not boost your side's attacks, there is a useful purpose in raising will, agility, or strength on someone who doesn't use it for their weapon. It acts defensively, reducing the chance an enemy will get an epic hit on the one they are attacking. You can also think about raising the armor stat. Sometimes all it takes is changing crew members. Some pirates like to use the same crew in all fights. Great as they may be, there could be a less used crewman who might be just right for that particular battle. Hope this helps.

Ensign
May 26, 2011
Thank you, but I am a wizard. Level 69. All my crew that I use are the same level. Am I not strong enough?
It is not that they don't have dodge but they and myself never seem to use it.

Rainemiester Wizard

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Rainey015 on Aug 28, 2017 wrote:
Thank you, but I am a wizard. Level 69. All my crew that I use are the same level. Am I not strong enough?
It is not that they don't have dodge but they and myself never seem to use it.

Rainemiester Wizard
First off, using a full wizard team against buccaneers and swashbucklers is a disaster! Mix your team: use Hold the Line companions that can prevent those bucks from charging you.
Everyone receives Ratbeard and Gracie Conrad as companions - also by using Gracie she can take advantage of Old Scratches Mojo buffs, plus her summoned Golem has Hold the line as well!
Use your summons as distractions - if the guards concentrate on them, they'll leave you alone ( mostly, heh. )
Consider using Bonnie Anne for her Over Watch, Burst Fire Double Tap strings. Or Zeena for her fire trap shot.
By keeping them away from you, you won't have to depend on Dodge to avoid being hit. As a Witchdoctor, believe me, you don't have the amount of Dodge that a Swashbuckler has.
You're plenty strong enough to face this dungeon. I hope these tips help, or try using team-up for help!

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
so you are a witchdoctor? if that be the case I see where you are having trouble. witchdoctors are the most fragile of any class. my strategy for you is to hide in the back with Scratch while you have a bulky companion or two up front to take the damage while you and Scratch set up. after your Spell Power and Juju are pumped use your Mojo Storms and fry them all. your best weapon to use is a Darkwood Wand in bazaar. you have a range of 6 with it which is really helpful for all your ranged attacks. and your Charm power is a godsend. it will help you greatly.

Petty Officer
Jun 19, 2014
If you'd like some help, just ask. There are lots of 70's on the forum (Including myself) that would be happy to help you.

Dark Ryan Ashburn, 70

Ensign
May 26, 2011