Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Finnegan too op?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 28, 2014
I tried to do the Bob's your uncle quest but when i fought Finnegan,i ran into a problem.I attacked him and i didn't get a relentless attack.When it was the enemy turn he went to Kobe and Kobe had max armored and Finnegan did a 1632 critical damage and killed Kobe.I instantly fled and was really mad.This boss is pure luck.Hope he gets weaker or removed.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Seriously? You tried once and then rage quit? That does not make an enemy over-powered.

Kobe has far less health and armor than a comparably-leveled buccaneer companion. How about trying a ranged companion with Overwatch to take off some health and maybe accuracy or dodge?

Try a few times before giving up... try something else when your first plan doesn't work.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
tomabot2006 on Aug 12, 2017 wrote:
I tried to do the Bob's your uncle quest but when i fought Finnegan,i ran into a problem.I attacked him and i didn't get a relentless attack.When it was the enemy turn he went to Kobe and Kobe had max armored and Finnegan did a 1632 critical damage and killed Kobe.I instantly fled and was really mad.This boss is pure luck.Hope he gets weaker or removed.
tomabot2006, our Presidio companion's promotion is very difficult and challenging - but think back to all the other fights that you've been through when the luck was going your way; those times far outnumber the times when we lose or have a companion defeated.
But why flee just because a companion was defeated? Had you stayed, you may have won! Then with the gold gained you could have healed Kobe.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
I hate to break it to you, but no boss in this game is "pure luck" (except maybe the hydra, but that's just because it glitchy) I would suggest trying another team. Finnegan is a swashbuckler and therefore he can dish out a lot of damage in a short amount of time. I would recommend using companions that can be "health tanks" and that can heal you mid battle. You could also try luring Finnegan towards a "health tank" companion while a musketeer companion (bonnie is a good go to for this) can fire at him while he is distracted. Hope this helps!

- Honest Alexander Templeton lvl 70
- Cunning Alexander Templeton lvl 69

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Your Kobe only has 1600 health? If you don't have it already, get Tough rank 4 over armored. I'd say it's almost an essential on swashbuckler companions as they have low base health by nature.

I can't remember the fight, but I assume Finnegan is a swashbuckler. Many enemies at that level come with one assassin's strike ability which is likely the cause of such damage.

Try bringing a buccaneer companion with a good rank of hold the line (or even use yourself) to sponge the damage from that strike. Other than that, the battle will be tough but should be much more manageable without getting your main companion hit with a devastating strike.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Dead Eye Luke on Aug 12, 2017 wrote:
Your Kobe only has 1600 health? If you don't have it already, get Tough rank 4 over armored. I'd say it's almost an essential on swashbuckler companions as they have low base health by nature.

I can't remember the fight, but I assume Finnegan is a swashbuckler. Many enemies at that level come with one assassin's strike ability which is likely the cause of such damage.

Try bringing a buccaneer companion with a good rank of hold the line (or even use yourself) to sponge the damage from that strike. Other than that, the battle will be tough but should be much more manageable without getting your main companion hit with a devastating strike.
Since Kobe is a Swashbuckler, it's far more important to max out his Dodge, however, if this has already been done then ranks in Tough will certainly help!
That instance has one SB ( Finnegan ) and at least 2 Musketeers ( Radical Foxes ) & one cat thug ( Buccaneer ).
I would include one musket in that line up ( Bonnie Anne ).

Petty Officer
Jun 19, 2014
anecorbie on Aug 13, 2017 wrote:
Since Kobe is a Swashbuckler, it's far more important to max out his Dodge, however, if this has already been done then ranks in Tough will certainly help!
That instance has one SB ( Finnegan ) and at least 2 Musketeers ( Radical Foxes ) & one cat thug ( Buccaneer ).
I would include one musket in that line up ( Bonnie Anne ).
He said that Finnegan did a critical, dodge won't help with criticals.

Dark Ryan Ashburn, 70

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
milo gt on Aug 29, 2017 wrote:

Dark Ryan Ashburn, 70
Dodge off sets criticals. If a dodge is high enough then a critical won't happen.

Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
milo gt on Aug 29, 2017 wrote:

Dark Ryan Ashburn, 70
Yes, but choosing companions with high health and Defense to aid you in battle can certainly be a life saver.

Community Leader
anecorbie on Aug 30, 2017 wrote:
Dodge off sets criticals. If a dodge is high enough then a critical won't happen.
No. This is completely inaccurate in every way, shape, and form. Any experienced pvper could tell you that when one reduces a buccaneer pirate or one is in elusive facing a buccaneers pirate, if the buccaneers pirate has a strength buff, they will crit just as often as they would when they weren't reduced. I'm a buckler with over 240 dodge in elusive 3, and I've been frequently crit spammed while in elusive. Other friends have experienced the same.

When using a non guaranteed hit, the first thing that the game decides is whether you crit or not. This is formulated by adding the bonus crit chance you see when hovering over an enemy + any crit buffs + a small base crit chance (duelist calculated this base crit chance to be around 1/8 to 1/6). The only way to reduce the opponent's crit chamce is to use buffs to their primary stat (ex: a buckler using kraken's coils) and by employing witch crit reduce spells. If the game decides the attack will crit, accuracy and dodge won't factor in at all. If it doesnt decide it'll crit, accuracy and dodge will be used as normal.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP