Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Sides or no

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 27, 2012
I know some people don't have time for side quests but I was wondering if it's worth it I did them and got on higher levels then most people but for my new pirate. Should I do them?

Ensign
Nov 27, 2012
This is part me saying yes I usually ask people when I'm lvl2 and the reason I do that is the sides. But they allow you to sides and I have not done gorilla gamble (I did on my max duh). I was wondering how that is possible

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Zeus Skyfather on Jul 6, 2017 wrote:
This is part me saying yes I usually ask people when I'm lvl2 and the reason I do that is the sides. But they allow you to sides and I have not done gorilla gamble (I did on my max duh). I was wondering how that is possible
IMO, side quests are worth doing.
1. Extra experience; both nautical & pirate.
2. More gold & ( sometimes ) unique drops.
3. A chance for more companions than is available through the story line.
4. Extra knowledge into the story line.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I know some people don't have time for side quests but I was wondering if it's worth it I did them and got on higher levels then most people but for my new pirate. Should I do them?
In my opinion side quests are always worth doing even if they seem a little tedious, especially early in the game and in Cool Ranch. Even if they don't individually give a lot of exp, doing many quests will add up to give you a decent level boost that'll help you out a ton once you start moving in to later worlds like MooShu and Marleybone. It's generally useful to accept every quest you come across since you'll likely complete a few without specifically trying to do them.

If you're interested in going after all of P101's side quests, this page is pretty useful. My main pirate was able to complete all of them using it as a guide.

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
I think the most important thing is that side quests can be really fun! I am working through the game with my Privateer, and from my experience with my Musk, I am doing all the side quests as I go. It has been really fun, and I get to savor the game.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Yes. You should most certainly do your Side Quests! They are great because they give you Gold, Experience and many more exciting things!

Admiral
May 30, 2010
I'm probably a bit weird this way, but I feel 'wrong' if I ignore a quest offer. The experience, gold and potential companions are nice, but seeing folks hanging around somewhere with either a or hanging over them just bothers me.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I think you have a unanimous 'yes' on that question. And everyone seemed to give the same reasons.

I'll give one more reason.

If you find yourself using crowns to get yourself through a particularly tough part of the storyline, having done the side quests will save you crowns. Your companions will be higher level (side quests give training tomes), your experience higher, and more gold means being able to buy better equipment for your pirate, all of which means the use of elixirs and henchmen is reduced if not eliminated.

Ensign
Nov 27, 2012
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I always pick up side quests when I see them.

Sometimes I do them right away. But often I wait to get a handful of same type, side quests -- that way I knock a few collect x number of items, defeat x number of enemies, all at once. I enjoy the many Spiral characters, my companions' banter (and shenanigans), the great dialogue and the wonderful voice talents that the side quests have to offer. To me, those are the real rewards....yet, the extra nautical, XP, gold, companion points and weapons/companions do surely sweeten the deal.

If there is any possible downfall at all about doing all side quests -- which I wouldn't really call it that -- it would be in regards to your general gear. This is true especially if you are a non-crowns-spending player. If you do each and every side quest you come across, before progressing too far in the main story, your pirate will be a bit over-leveled. That is possibly 5-10 levels ahead of where only main story line questing would have you. So if you aren't spending Crowns to get new goodies, a lot of gear your pirate gets will be dropped at that "straight through level"....so possibly 5-10 levels below your pirate's level. Not a big deal though, because you can certainly get by with gear slightly lower level than your pirate (especially with stat boosts and powers/talents attached). And you can always hit the Bazaar to get non-crowns gear at your current level.

But with my second pirate I noticed early on that as I shot way past the level "I was supposed to be at" (while progressing through the story) I was certainly much, much more powerful....but just about everything that dropped was rather underwhelming and almost at that, already obsolete point. But that Big Bad Boss Booty....well that stuff dropping at any level, is always a feel-good kind of moment.

When it comes to side questing, I say do what works for you in regards to time, and what brings you the most satisfaction, enjoyment and fun.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Zeus Skyfather on Jul 7, 2017 wrote:
What about the florenza quests
If you're entering Florenza at level 65 or less, then you will have a much easier time with the main quest line if you do side quests. The Florenza quests offer good XP for sides, generally about a 1000 XP per quest. There are some genuinely funny stories with them.

Ensign
Jul 07, 2017
NO! of course not. side quests are lame and annoying and tedious. The main storyline is the only fun part!

Plus its an extra challenge but as long as you are strategic you can do everything in the game without needing the xp from extra side quests. I only do side quests if a) im truly struggling and NEED the xp b) i want to kick back and mindlessly complete some quests while music is playing or something

if youre a crazy completionist just do the side quests after you finish the game itll be easier that way and less annoying. The last thing you want is for pirate101 to become a chore, and side quests often lead to that for me

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
ricemann on Jul 16, 2017 wrote:
NO! of course not. side quests are lame and annoying and tedious. The main storyline is the only fun part!

Plus its an extra challenge but as long as you are strategic you can do everything in the game without needing the xp from extra side quests. I only do side quests if a) im truly struggling and NEED the xp b) i want to kick back and mindlessly complete some quests while music is playing or something

if youre a crazy completionist just do the side quests after you finish the game itll be easier that way and less annoying. The last thing you want is for pirate101 to become a chore, and side quests often lead to that for me
Wow - you are basically advising players to skip half of the game...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ricemann on Jul 16, 2017 wrote:

Nice post Ricemann! A different view point is welcome, for you side quests are boring and unnecessary. For the rest of us who posted, side quests enhance our enjoyment of the game.
Both are viable ways to play....

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Willowydream on Jul 17, 2017 wrote:
Wow - you are basically advising players to skip half of the game...

Not necessarily, if players don't find completing every side quest to enrich their experience, then why should anyone dicatate that they do side quests?

-if they struggle with battles they will learn the hard way

-if their nautical level is low they will learn the hard way

For me personally I don't have all the time in the world to play the game and and some side quests just seem worth my play time and the same probably goes for a lot of other players.

If you don't find side quests fun, are you really skipping half of the game? The quests don't even relate to the storyline most of the time.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 18, 2017 wrote:
Not necessarily, if players don't find completing every side quest to enrich their experience, then why should anyone dicatate that they do side quests?

-if they struggle with battles they will learn the hard way

-if their nautical level is low they will learn the hard way

For me personally I don't have all the time in the world to play the game and and some side quests just seem worth my play time and the same probably goes for a lot of other players.

If you don't find side quests fun, are you really skipping half of the game? The quests don't even relate to the storyline most of the time.
I wonder what players who skip the side quest about the clockwork birds think about "the secret code" written on them: "Clockwork birds? What clockwork birds?"
Major loss of information there and it's a direct link to the main quest line!

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 18, 2017 wrote:
I wonder what players who skip the side quest about the clockwork birds think about "the secret code" written on them: "Clockwork birds? What clockwork birds?"
Major loss of information there and it's a direct link to the main quest line!
Hahah yes but luckily that's the players choice.

When I saw that quest in Valencia I did get it becuase it interested me.

Ensign
Jul 16, 2010
I always do the side quests. They are like half the story, they give amazing experience, nautical experience, and lets not forget companions. Over all so worth it!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
SqueakyPhantom01 on Aug 4, 2017 wrote:
I always do the side quests. They are like half the story, they give amazing experience, nautical experience, and lets not forget companions. Over all so worth it!
Welcome to the message boards, SqueakyPhantom01! I completely agree!

Ensign
Mar 29, 2013
I have 12 pirates, with 10 of them level 70 with.... all side quests completed. And my other 2 have finished theirs up to their level as well! (I actually, ahem, deleted two level 70s with all tasks done to replay...)

I think side quests give a wealth of more story, experience, nautical (hello, annoying-yet-lovely task in Cool Ranch where you have to fight a bunch of ships).

Yes, sides can get a bit daunting and long, but I definitely think they're worth it!

I suggest figuring out which sides coincide, and I also do them area by area. For example: I'll complete the Ashen Roads main tasks in Mooshu first, then do my Ashen Roads sides, then go on to the next area.

I remember back before Marleybone and Aquila came out, (and well, when they came out as well) that I was highly leveled because of doing sides, which in fact made questing easier.

Definitely worth it. :)

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
There isn't enough experience in the game to reach level 70 if you only do main quests. In Valencia part 2, you are forced to do side quests.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
HelenaQ on Aug 10, 2017 wrote:
I have 12 pirates, with 10 of them level 70 with.... all side quests completed. And my other 2 have finished theirs up to their level as well! (I actually, ahem, deleted two level 70s with all tasks done to replay...)

I think side quests give a wealth of more story, experience, nautical (hello, annoying-yet-lovely task in Cool Ranch where you have to fight a bunch of ships).

Yes, sides can get a bit daunting and long, but I definitely think they're worth it!

I suggest figuring out which sides coincide, and I also do them area by area. For example: I'll complete the Ashen Roads main tasks in Mooshu first, then do my Ashen Roads sides, then go on to the next area.

I remember back before Marleybone and Aquila came out, (and well, when they came out as well) that I was highly leveled because of doing sides, which in fact made questing easier.

Definitely worth it. :)
I've been doing a similar system with my privateer. I pick up every side quest I come across, then wait a few levels until the main quest starts becoming difficult. Once that happens, I return to the sides in my book and do as many as possible. This can gain me an additional level or two depending on how many quests I have to complete. Then I go back to the main quests until I start having trouble again, which is when I return to the new batch of side quests I've collected.

I think this system works fairly well. My privateer gained level 50 just after entering Subata Skyway, and if I completed all of the quests she has in her book currently, she'd probably gain at least a level and a half. If I'm predicting things correctly, she will max out soon after entering Aquila. Her nautical level, on the other hand...well, that's a different story!

Being over-leveled makes the game much more bearable, and slightly eases the worry that your companions will all be decimated by the next boss you fight. (Ninja pigs, gosh!) Granted, you have the issue of having to buy a lot of your gear if you don't have card drops saved from other pirates on your account, but purchasing gear from the bazaar isn't too bad of a gold drain if you shop wisely.