Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Do You Do Side Quests?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 09, 2016
Ahoy there! To me personally, side quests are a really interesting topic. I've been wanting to ask it for a while now: Do you do side quests and if so, how frequently and when? I plan on restarting my character (because I'm an obsessive perfectionist), and this sparked a debate in my mind. I've decided to myself that the best way and time to do them is simply when you complete a book. For example, when it's time to start on Book II, you would go back across Skull Island, Blood Shoals, Jonah Town and the like to get your badge.

On a side note, maybe think of it as an Easter egg (Easter quest?) hunt. Just to make it a little bit less tedious as you sail back and forth repeatedly trying to find quests you haven't yet completed. That said, to ask the question again: How and when do you do side quests? I'd really like to hear your answers!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
EviTheEccentric on May 24, 2017 wrote:
Ahoy there! To me personally, side quests are a really interesting topic. I've been wanting to ask it for a while now: Do you do side quests and if so, how frequently and when? I plan on restarting my character (because I'm an obsessive perfectionist), and this sparked a debate in my mind. I've decided to myself that the best way and time to do them is simply when you complete a book. For example, when it's time to start on Book II, you would go back across Skull Island, Blood Shoals, Jonah Town and the like to get your badge.

On a side note, maybe think of it as an Easter egg (Easter quest?) hunt. Just to make it a little bit less tedious as you sail back and forth repeatedly trying to find quests you haven't yet completed. That said, to ask the question again: How and when do you do side quests? I'd really like to hear your answers!
I always do side quests - I love them, the writing for some is wonderful! I can't believe there are players who forgo doing them. Sometimes I save them up for when I'm ready to move on, but more often I do them as I find them, for the extra help in main questing.
Reasons to do side quests:
1. More XP - nautical or piratical, this is very important, especially in the more advanced worlds.
2. Rewards - extra crewmembers, pets or other interesting drops may occur through side quests.
3. Story line hints - if you failed to do the quest on the clockwork birds ( in Valencia ) how would you know how important that code on them was?
( good idea for a post, Evi! )

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
YES! I always do side quests, usually as I pick them up, but sometimes, if I know they will stack with another side quest, I will wait and do them before I move on to the next world.

Ignoring side quests means fewer free training tomes and nautical xp, not to mention additional companions. It also means skipping half of the game.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I usually pick them up as I find them. Some of them can be completed while doing the main quest, as with stuff like collecting from Buffaloon and Hornets. Those kind, I get the side quest, and when the main tells me to get them too, I go get them and get fights that count for both quests. With the ones that involve a lot of sailing here and there, I might get the quest and wait until I happen to be in the area the side quest sends me to. I might work on those when friends are not around to help with main quests. Some of the side quests have some nifty rewards, like getting additional crew. Some lead to threads of quests, which is not obvious at first. The sides are often pretty funny too. The only times I skip picking them up are when I'm working with someone who skips the sides, or on a pirate who is on pet training time and goes to help someone out, but is not really questing.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I do every side quest before the story quests, whenever I can, delaying them only when the side quest is too hard. Then I wait to go up a level and try again.

The reason is experience. The more nautical experience, pirate experience, and training tomes I have, the easier it is to continue the story quests. By the time I get to Cool Ranch, I am about 5 levels ahead of everything there.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
I accept every side quest I see when I see it, but I won't drop what I'm doing to finish the quest. I'll look at my quest log and talk to everyone in the area that all the quests want me to talk to, than all the combat tasks in the area, than talk to everyone after combat is done. This is especially useful for collecting tasks in places like mooshu and aquila where multi quests will want you to fight inoshishi bandits and ophidians for various items because 1 fight may result in collecting up to 4 items, as opposed to 1.

If however a side quest takes me to a different zone completely, I'll wait until the main storyline quests takes me to the same zone, than I'll complete that part of the side quest. Like quests that need ship combat. That can wait until the main storyline requires it.

Ensign
Jun 09, 2016
anecorbie on May 24, 2017 wrote:
I always do side quests - I love them, the writing for some is wonderful! I can't believe there are players who forgo doing them. Sometimes I save them up for when I'm ready to move on, but more often I do them as I find them, for the extra help in main questing.
Reasons to do side quests:
1. More XP - nautical or piratical, this is very important, especially in the more advanced worlds.
2. Rewards - extra crewmembers, pets or other interesting drops may occur through side quests.
3. Story line hints - if you failed to do the quest on the clockwork birds ( in Valencia ) how would you know how important that code on them was?
( good idea for a post, Evi! )
I've restarted my witchy, and I've only accepted Zeke's first quest so far (mainly because it's almost mandatory). By the way, Valencia is super duper good in this regard; I can't name a side quest from it I dislike.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Ensign
Dec 21, 2016
I do all of the side quests. I find most of them interesting or amusing and rewarding also in terms of experience, gold and other drops. I also am not in a hurry for the game to end so this stretches it out, although now I have a plan for when my character is at the end. Since I have a family account, I am going to try playing two characters at once - two that will complement each other. But that's another topic.

By the way, I think you sometimes need to do certain side quests to find all the items on Zeke's quests. I like to use those practice points to round out my character's abilities.

My character is Crazy Kestrel Morgan, , level 68.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I do them all for all the reasons above and I handle them much the same. I love all of them. I am a card carrying quest junkie and I enjoy every one of them. Such great writing and puns and artwork go into each one of them and I love experiencing all those flavors of this wonderful game.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
You pretty much have to do side quests in Valencia part 2. The main quest experience rewards are extremely short in this world, leaving you with a significant gap in max level when finishing the main story (if you have only done main quests all the way through).

Ensign
Apr 13, 2013
To be honest with you guys, I saved my side quests until I was level 68! I never thought they would help me when I finally finished the game and Oops, I was stuck at level 68. I had thought Kingisle didn't give me the correct amount of Experience but no, I didn't do almost any of the side quests I had. I ended up dragging myself through countless hours, even days of getting side quests and finishing them. It was hard, soul shredding, and overall a pain. But after a couple days work, those of which I wished I could continue my comic series, I finally reached level 70! I could finally equip that level 70 Armour I was always careful never to sell.

Yet here's the strange thing, a couple years ago, I still had membership. And during those times I would accompany my friend in Mooshoo. That lead me from level 21 to level 35. So when I finally decided to continue the story I was insanely procrastinating, I realized: "Hey, I'm a lot higher level then these guys!". That's when I started crushing my quests one by one until I finished the game. But I still had a whole lot of side quests to go.

I'm level 70 and I still have multiple side quests I'll have to do, yet, now my membership is gone, those are stuck in that book with super glue and perma glue.

Hardy Portia Zest- level 70

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Hardy Portia Zest on Jun 5, 2017 wrote:
To be honest with you guys, I saved my side quests until I was level 68! I never thought they would help me when I finally finished the game and Oops, I was stuck at level 68. I had thought Kingisle didn't give me the correct amount of Experience but no, I didn't do almost any of the side quests I had. I ended up dragging myself through countless hours, even days of getting side quests and finishing them. It was hard, soul shredding, and overall a pain. But after a couple days work, those of which I wished I could continue my comic series, I finally reached level 70! I could finally equip that level 70 Armour I was always careful never to sell.

Yet here's the strange thing, a couple years ago, I still had membership. And during those times I would accompany my friend in Mooshoo. That lead me from level 21 to level 35. So when I finally decided to continue the story I was insanely procrastinating, I realized: "Hey, I'm a lot higher level then these guys!". That's when I started crushing my quests one by one until I finished the game. But I still had a whole lot of side quests to go.

I'm level 70 and I still have multiple side quests I'll have to do, yet, now my membership is gone, those are stuck in that book with super glue and perma glue.

Hardy Portia Zest- level 70
Then you will over level yourself when the arc 2 story updates!
Do Side Quests!
Do them, do them, do them; you won't regret it!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Jun 5, 2017 wrote:
Then you will over level yourself when the arc 2 story updates!
Do Side Quests!
Do them, do them, do them; you won't regret it!
Can I just say "DO THEM" one more time?!

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
I always do side quests, though I've switched up how I do them in order. I pick up side quests as I go along and see them. Usually I only do them before I go to the next world for the story, but if one of the tasks is the same or in the same zone for the main quest, I go ahead and do them. If the side quest rewards a companion, I save them until I reach max level to retrieve those companions just so I wouldn't have to waste training tomes to level them up with me and they would be about a couple levels higher than my pirates.

Since I mostly solo the game, it's very helpful to have that extra xp, and eventually better gear. It makes it easier to do the main quest solo.

Lieutenant
Jan 23, 2011
I always do my side quest! I like how they give me something extra to do. And you never know what cool battles, NPCs, companions or gear you might come across while doing them. The extra companion training tomes are also a big help (especially when you have 132 companions like me). I normally do my side quests after I complete a world. I find it easier this way for me so I can just keep questing without interruption in one world. Then when I have to go through the storm-gate, I know that I need to go back and do sides. My advice is to do side quests, but at your own pace and how you like to.