Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why isn't Riposte rank 4 working as it should?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 22, 2014
So I recently got the swords of valor (in one pack )

And it gives me +1 rank of Riposte, so I have Riposte rank 4 now, and rank 4 has +1 crit rating which i'm pretty sure means Riposte with Epic Strike. (Correct me if I am wrong)

But when Riposte is activated for the FIRST time in the turn it still doesn't critical. Is this a bug or am I just confused with something???

-- Generous BlazeJackson - Level 70

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Generous Blaze Jac... on Apr 27, 2017 wrote:
So I recently got the swords of valor (in one pack )

And it gives me +1 rank of Riposte, so I have Riposte rank 4 now, and rank 4 has +1 crit rating which i'm pretty sure means Riposte with Epic Strike. (Correct me if I am wrong)

But when Riposte is activated for the FIRST time in the turn it still doesn't critical. Is this a bug or am I just confused with something???

-- Generous BlazeJackson - Level 70
I believe it's random, not a guaranteed critical strike. Keep playing with it and see if it will "kick in".

Community Leader
1. You're wrong. +1 crit rating means it has a 1% greater crit chance.
2. Swords of valor are terrible on a buckler. You're better off using a stabby weapon over slash because of the weapon power increase

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I was wondering if you max out all the stars for a talent on your Powers page, if you put on gear that adds another rank, maybe it can't add it, because it is already maxed.
I think the plus one to your critical rating means that an epic strike is more likely to happen, but not guaranteed. I think the more you riposte, the more likely you will see it critical, but it could happen on the first one. Keep testing it.

Lieutenant
Oct 28, 2012
The +1 critical rating means riposte attacks have a higher critical chance (+5% critical chance) (though for entertainment reasons, automatic criticals through epic talents would be fun )

Ensign
Sep 22, 2014
Thanks for all the replies!

"Swords of valor are terrible on Buckler"
Name a weapon that gives either +1 Rank of Riposte or First Strike and a Weapon Power of 240 or more?

Generous BlazeJackson (Max )

Ensign
Jun 14, 2013
gamerman129 on Apr 28, 2017 wrote:
The +1 critical rating means riposte attacks have a higher critical chance (+5% critical chance) (though for entertainment reasons, automatic criticals through epic talents would be fun )
Would make a huge shift in gameplay having epics gain a 100% critical chance.
Imagine pairing Relentless 4 with Blade Storm 4, would be both awesome and terrifying.

Community Leader
Generous Blaze Jac... on Apr 28, 2017 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!

"Swords of valor are terrible on Buckler"
Name a weapon that gives either +1 Rank of Riposte or First Strike and a Weapon Power of 240 or more?

Generous BlazeJackson (Max )
The reason why I said Swords of Valor are terrible is because of the fact they are not a stabby weapon; they are solely slashy. That means you're giving up at least 12 points of weapon power, since bucklers cannot train slashy weapons 3. In addition, attempting to gain first strike or riposte 4 is an endeavor that is not worth it in my opinion. The benefits they give when compared to their rank 3 counterparts are very minimal (Slightly increased crit chance on both).

You're better off using one of the Dreadnaught weapons. The Haywire Royal Poignard and the Haywire Swashbuckler Set have 238 weapon power, are stabby or stabby/slashy (meaning you can benefit from stabby weapons 3), and offer 2 haywire strike cards.

If you're looking for the most weapon power as a buckler, Moonlight Reavers have the highest base weapon power of a stabby weapon (245) and grant first strike. However, if you have slashy weapons 2 trained, the Haywire Swashbuckler set will give you a tad more weapon power.

tldr : First strike and riposte 4 aren't worth it. You're better off using a weapon that's stabby or a stabby hybrid. Dreadnaught weapons and moonlight reavers are infinitely better choices than swords of valor

Ensign
Sep 22, 2014
Any thought on how to get stabby weapons with any Epic (other than flanking) or Ability (other than Gun abilities. That has a weapon power of 230? And also not from packs or dread? I find dread hard because it barely spawns. If I could do 2 runs of dread a day I would go for Moonlight Reavers. Just any thought on other weapons?

Generous BlazeJackson (max ) Answer fast lol, I only 6 days of prepaid time.

Community Leader
Your best bet is to just deal with farming dreadnaught. I found the weapons have a pretty high drop rate, and it doesn't require membership to farm. The only weapons that fit your quota are the moonlight reavers from the Ashes pack, and the dreadnaught weapons.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Generous Blaze Jac... on Apr 30, 2017 wrote:
Any thought on how to get stabby weapons with any Epic (other than flanking) or Ability (other than Gun abilities. That has a weapon power of 230? And also not from packs or dread? I find dread hard because it barely spawns. If I could do 2 runs of dread a day I would go for Moonlight Reavers. Just any thought on other weapons?

Generous BlazeJackson (max ) Answer fast lol, I only 6 days of prepaid time.
Moonlight Reavers come from the Ashes of the Armada pack. Try for the Blades of Shade, Caves of Ruin, Illios in Aquila ( Cadmus ).