Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

An Unfinished Idea

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
A few months ago I had this idea for a pair of wharf rat companions every class would pick up in Skull Island after a side quest. I never really brought to fruition the semantics of how we get them, maybe you guys would have some ideas, however, the main thing about them would be the series of promotion quests throughout our pirates' adventures in the spiral.

Their names would be something like Bing Hope and Bob Crosby, and they are based on the Road To..... musicals of the 1940's starring Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. They wear exotic clothing from Rajah, Mooshu, and Krokotopia among other places. They call themselves Adventurers and Explorers and Navigators(I figure those will be their titles as they go through promotions) but here's the catch: They've never even step foot outside of Skull Island and get lost very easily.

Each Promotion quest would be named Road to [world that they want to go to that we know is in the spiral but is not in Pirate101(like Zafaria or Krok)] and would consist of them showing interest in going there, and at first you are looking for a way to get there but they soon get sidetracked with some weird useless hobby and you never end up going to the destination and they act like they never wanted to go in the first place when Ratbeard asks why we wasted all that time. And then a little while later they become taken with a new mystical world and the process repeats.

Obviously this needs a lot of work. I have no idea about the class of the companions or their epics/powers or even the details of the recruitment and promotion quests. Perhaps it would be better if they were just NPC's who appear throughout the spiral and give quests instead of being on your crew(though that would ruin the idea that they've never left Skull Island)

As you can see, I'm still tuning this idea and I would love to hear your suggestions(I have no idea if this is a particularly good idea or not or if I have something here)

Thanks,
Finn

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
This is a clever idea and will within the motif of P101. Whether I would want two more companions who are not story companions is a different question.

Whether KI will want to devote the time and effort now to doing that, is another question. After all, we had at least one story companion (Gracie Conrad) get a gold promotion because KI was unwilling to spend the time and effort to design and execute a promotion quest for her. Creating two new companions complete with promotion quests might be asking a bit much.

Also, it appears that KI has tremendously reduced the number of voice actors they use. All of the ones in Valencia II could have been recorded ages ago, but note something:

When you start the game and your pirate has been idle for 24 hours, there is an recap done with Boochbeard, Gantry, and your story companions. The usual format is this:

Boochbeard or Gantry: Says something of greeting to the pirate, and suggests a plot recap.
One Story Companion: The broad story quest your pirate is involved in.
Another STory Companion: The specific story quest your pirate is involved in.
Boochbeard or Gantry: Encourages the pirate to start play.

In Valencia II this changes:

Boochbeard or Gantry: Says something of greeting to the pirate, and suggests a plot recap.
El Toro: The broad story quest your pirate is involved in.
El Toro: The specific story quest your pirate is involved in.
Boochbeard or Gantry: Encourages the pirate to start play.

El Toro does both the second and third lines. All the time. That doesn't occur at any time prior to Valencia II, it is always two different companions, not the same one.

This says that KI paid one person to do ALL of those lines rather than spend the time and effort to have several do it. And they had to be re-recorded because the plot had changed substantially.

So, would KI at this point hire two new voices for companions? Somehow I doubt it, not until we have more players playing and they have a bigger budget to work with.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 26, 2017 wrote:
Where's Dorothy Lamour?
I figured she might be an NPC that helps them on all their promotion quests, that's one thing I forgot to add.