Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

New Idea: Companion Wardrobe

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 23, 2009
I was playing P101 yesterday and just thinking of companion promotions. Or more specifically, the changing appearance that comes with promotions. Some of them I love, some not so much. My idea? Companion wardrobe, the ability to swap out your companion's style with any of the promotions as you obtain them. I really enjoy Corporal Sander's pre-promotion look, I love military history and the unique uniforms worn by frontline infantry. The calvary look? Not so much. All rambling aside, what do you all think of the idea? It sounds simple to implement in theory but I don't develop the game so I have no room to speak.

-Bloody Jack, professional Yum taster and self-proclaimed 14th fastest gun in Cool Ranch

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
GIcrow on Apr 18, 2017 wrote:
I was playing P101 yesterday and just thinking of companion promotions. Or more specifically, the changing appearance that comes with promotions. Some of them I love, some not so much. My idea? Companion wardrobe, the ability to swap out your companion's style with any of the promotions as you obtain them. I really enjoy Corporal Sander's pre-promotion look, I love military history and the unique uniforms worn by frontline infantry. The calvary look? Not so much. All rambling aside, what do you all think of the idea? It sounds simple to implement in theory but I don't develop the game so I have no room to speak.

-Bloody Jack, professional Yum taster and self-proclaimed 14th fastest gun in Cool Ranch
I'll have you know that I was voted "The Slowest Gun in Cool Ranch" by Gunslinger's Digest four years running...

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
This is a neat idea. As a pirate who likes to help out others, I like to blend in with the area I'm in, but the high level crew do stand out. On the other hand, there might be reasons it's this way, like pvp people can see how leveled up the crew is that they are fighting. I can also see some of them shocking people in practice pvp. "How can Ratbeard DO that? My Ratbeard can't do that!"

Ensign
Aug 09, 2014
Yes! I have suggested this same thing many times. Especially when you buy a companion with crowns you're drawn by the appearance of the companion. Such was the case for me with Martin Valvida. He looked so cool. His dark conquistador armor is amazing. Then I promoted him and he looks like a lame knock off of ghost rider. I would love to have him back in his former glory. I don't ever use him he looks so bad. I would love for this to happen.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I like this idea, honestly. But I'm wondering how our pirate can purchase the new wardrobe items. I, myself, think it should be done with crowns.

Why? Because there is a cost to KI to design and develop the vast wardrobe that would be necessary for all of the myriad companions. While some of the cost might be made up with increased play, I would rather see them get additional income so OTHER developments can be financed (such as a new world?).

Neither gold nor scripts would accomplish that.

After all, except for holidays and special occasions, permanent mounts have to be purchased with crowns as do special ships and many special wardrobe items for your pirate. Why not companion wardrobe changes?

Oh, and speaking of Corporal Sanders, he eventually gets promoted to Sergeant. An I have a sneaking suspicion that originally he was to be promoted to Colonel. I'll leave that up to you to determine why.

Ensign
Jun 23, 2009
Loving the feedback so far everybody! There have been some good points made, and I think we all enjoy the concept just unsure of the implementation. The idea for ADDITIONAL outfits for the wardrobe isn't a bad idea either, though that would certainly be quite a few more resources and definitely Crowns worthy lol. I'd be fine with just the ability to revert back promotion looks without sacrificing levelling my favorite companions. Keep the feedback coming guys!

-Bloody Jack, Fort McMurtry Intern and professional Buffaloon wrangler

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I agree, it seems fair that if they did this, it would be with crowns, because it is an almost total frill. The only fight application would seem to be in pvp, if someone is trying to deceive their opponents about what they have.
As for Sanders, I figured it was a nice reference, but I didn't think he would reach lofty officer ranks. It might annoy a large company and it's lawyers, while enlisted ranks would not be under copyright. On the other hand, Major Sanders, after conspicuous bravery, and heroism in the face of the enemy, and actions above and beyond the call of duty, could be jumped up in rank, skipping a couple ranks, to General Sanders! I think that would be funny to see.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Calamity Finch on Apr 19, 2017 wrote:
I agree, it seems fair that if they did this, it would be with crowns, because it is an almost total frill. The only fight application would seem to be in pvp, if someone is trying to deceive their opponents about what they have.
As for Sanders, I figured it was a nice reference, but I didn't think he would reach lofty officer ranks. It might annoy a large company and it's lawyers, while enlisted ranks would not be under copyright. On the other hand, Major Sanders, after conspicuous bravery, and heroism in the face of the enemy, and actions above and beyond the call of duty, could be jumped up in rank, skipping a couple ranks, to General Sanders! I think that would be funny to see.
You can't copyright a common name, and unless KI opens up a chain of restaurants, I seriously doubt that company would bat an eye. In fact, it might even be considered good advertizing for them.

Ensign
Jun 23, 2009
Expanding on my idea;
What about dyeing companions? I think we can all agree that our flag colors don't always make for the best uniform colors. Perhaps another Crown NPC to tailor our Companions?

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Max DeGroot on Apr 20, 2017 wrote:
You can't copyright a common name, and unless KI opens up a chain of restaurants, I seriously doubt that company would bat an eye. In fact, it might even be considered good advertizing for them.
You have a point there, about the advertising. They don't have to have a good legal case though, to be an annoying one. Probably protected by being satire.

Ensign
Jun 23, 2009
Fearless Finnagan on Apr 18, 2017 wrote:
I'll have you know that I was voted "The Slowest Gun in Cool Ranch" by Gunslinger's Digest four years running...
I think I read that issue, Cogburn's five easy fried chicken recipes right?