Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A weapon every pirate must have

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 26, 2012
I will get straight to the point- the purpose of this thread is to inform pirates of an incredibly powerful weapon that is not being used at all by so many pirates. I have only met one other pirate in 200+ runs of Moo and Kane combined that uses this weapon. The more people that have it, the better for all team fights. This weapon is friar sand's unyielding hiragana. It provides an incredible power- unyielding vengeance. Once the pirate uses this power the pirate and fellow adjacent companions/pirates will become invincible for one turn. So much can be done in this one turn. Let me illustrate some examples I encounter a lot:

1.) You are in the second Kane fight. You use the Power and send out your companions to attack. Normally if they just charge they are greeted by battle angels doing 1500 damage assassin strike's and getting beaten by relentless and bladestorn fury of dragoons. With total invincibility all that damage becomes nothing. That's right, the typical 1500 damage assassin strike results in ZERO damage against you. Anything- witch and musk attacks, bombs, spells does zero damage. It's pretty much an infinite absorption Valors armor spell that lasts for one turn.

2.) Moo Manchu's Terracotta Army. Activate your unyielding vengeance power. Those terra soldiers will come at you and now they will do no damage with their damaging vicious charges. I recommend using dispel magic from technomage's glasses to remove the debuffs. In my most recent run of Moo companions who where shielding survived with zero damage taken whilst many companions without the shield died or had low health after first go. Same logic applies for marines in second Kane fight.

Now with many pirates possessing a powerful weapon like this, invincibility can be used to stop powerful attacks the enemy does in their first go like the vicious charge. No one will die.

Some important notes:
  • This only works for MELEE pirates and companions, that is typically those who are bucks or buckler classes. Ranged companions like Bonnie Anne won't get the shield at all. I am unsure if it works for ranged pirates.
  • It is Smashy/Slashy Weapon available for lv 45+, big choppy weapons 1 skill required
  • A vengeance strike talent is granted for one turn as an added bonus as well
  • Use the spell wisely. It only lasts for one turn. Make sure you make the most of it. However from experience it's best used in first turn and I am sorry if it pops up on round 983,498,317,653,200,997 as the game sometimes decides
  • Enjoy it

Info from boss who drops it- http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Creature:Friar_Sand

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Golden Guardian on Feb 21, 2017 wrote:
I will get straight to the point- the purpose of this thread is to inform pirates of an incredibly powerful weapon that is not being used at all by so many pirates. I have only met one other pirate in 200+ runs of Moo and Kane combined that uses this weapon. The more people that have it, the better for all team fights. This weapon is friar sand's unyielding hiragana. It provides an incredible power- unyielding vengeance. Once the pirate uses this power the pirate and fellow adjacent companions/pirates will become invincible for one turn. So much can be done in this one turn. Let me illustrate some examples I encounter a lot:

1.) You are in the second Kane fight. You use the Power and send out your companions to attack. Normally if they just charge they are greeted by battle angels doing 1500 damage assassin strike's and getting beaten by relentless and bladestorn fury of dragoons. With total invincibility all that damage becomes nothing. That's right, the typical 1500 damage assassin strike results in ZERO damage against you. Anything- witch and musk attacks, bombs, spells does zero damage. It's pretty much an infinite absorption Valors armor spell that lasts for one turn.

2.) Moo Manchu's Terracotta Army. Activate your unyielding vengeance power. Those terra soldiers will come at you and now they will do no damage with their damaging vicious charges. I recommend using dispel magic from technomage's glasses to remove the debuffs. In my most recent run of Moo companions who where shielding survived with zero damage taken whilst many companions without the shield died or had low health after first go. Same logic applies for marines in second Kane fight.

Now with many pirates possessing a powerful weapon like this, invincibility can be used to stop powerful attacks the enemy does in their first go like the vicious charge. No one will die.

Some important notes:
  • This only works for MELEE pirates and companions, that is typically those who are bucks or buckler classes. Ranged companions like Bonnie Anne won't get the shield at all. I am unsure if it works for ranged pirates.
  • It is Smashy/Slashy Weapon available for lv 45+, big choppy weapons 1 skill required
  • A vengeance strike talent is granted for one turn as an added bonus as well
  • Use the spell wisely. It only lasts for one turn. Make sure you make the most of it. However from experience it's best used in first turn and I am sorry if it pops up on round 983,498,317,653,200,997 as the game sometimes decides
  • Enjoy it

Info from boss who drops it- http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Creature:Friar_Sand
I take any posts that states "pirates must have ( name an item ) to be successful" with a HUGE grain of salt.
When the poster actually means ( name an item ) is very useful in certain circumstances.
Yes, Friar Sand's weapon grants invincibility ( and Vengeance Strike ) for one round, but it only works for melee and those standing around the caster, it's not a team power. Therefore, it has a very limited use.
There are many more powerful weapons, gear, and power cards that are useful in more situations than a single use power from a weapon.
That's why you haven't seen many players use this weapon in the higher level dungeons.
Nothing is a "must have".

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks for the great tips and most valuable info. *Starts rummaging in dusty weapons storage for mine*

Ensign
Dec 09, 2009
That is one of my favorites I have been thru moo shoo with 7 pirates so far and only got the drop 1 time it is not a easy thing to get and your right is is good the problem for any one who wants it is like trying to get captain bloods coat I ran that dungeon 78 times and have yet to get it . I think the drop rate for the unyielding hiragana is a lot higher but still you have to be real lucky to get it that's why you don't see many people using it.

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
anecorbie on Feb 21, 2017 wrote:
I take any posts that states "pirates must have ( name an item ) to be successful" with a HUGE grain of salt.
When the poster actually means ( name an item ) is very useful in certain circumstances.
Yes, Friar Sand's weapon grants invincibility ( and Vengeance Strike ) for one round, but it only works for melee and those standing around the caster, it's not a team power. Therefore, it has a very limited use.
There are many more powerful weapons, gear, and power cards that are useful in more situations than a single use power from a weapon.
That's why you haven't seen many players use this weapon in the higher level dungeons.
Nothing is a "must have".
Sorry but I must disagree. Firstly I covered everything you said in my post, ie in regards to it being used for adjacent MELEE companions. It is a must have as it helps in a lot of tough situations, more than people think. Sure every weapon can't be used for every situation, but having this weapon in your arsenal will prove to be amazing. I do use this weapon a lot in higher level team fights like Kane and like Moo. Even ranged pirates can easily adapt with using an MELEE squad. Same examples elaborated:

1.) Tower of Moo Manchu, level 8- the Terracotta Army

I have seen it best used here and I know I used it as an example. Adapt and choose a MELEE squad. Trust me it's better. Simply use unyeilding vengeance in the first turn. Now imagine everyone doing this. The 6-10k damage that the Army does combined in a single turn is now zero. If the spell is not available first turn but later, players can still use it to avoid explosion damage. That is why I want more pirates to use it. It still has reasonable damage, 172, being a mooshu weapon. I am seriously encouraging you to at least try it out in Moo and see for yourself.

2.) Moo Himself.

There were 4 of us- 2 in one side and 2 in the other. I used it for my self, the pirate next to me, and our MELEE companions + 1 Scratch. Those on the other side did not use it and also had a lot of MELEE units. 60% of the army came to me and my fellow pirate, whilst the rest attacked the other 2. We survived with zero losses, they had 2 dead and some badly injured.

3.) Kane Battle 1 and 2.

Whilst it is better suited to bucks and bucklers in this case, if a pirate does decide to go full MELEE whilst some others go full ranged or mixed, the weapon is still useful. I have sent out my MELEE companions to attack and have a greater chance to distract enemies. They get hit, albeit with zero damage taken, whilst the ranged units can attack from distance. It is even great when used properly against Kane.

Pls, just try and see for yourself.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Keep working on developing your own strategies that work for you. It is nice to see.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Golden Guardian on Feb 22, 2017 wrote:
Sorry but I must disagree. Firstly I covered everything you said in my post, ie in regards to it being used for adjacent MELEE companions. It is a must have as it helps in a lot of tough situations, more than people think. Sure every weapon can't be used for every situation, but having this weapon in your arsenal will prove to be amazing. I do use this weapon a lot in higher level team fights like Kane and like Moo. Even ranged pirates can easily adapt with using an MELEE squad. Same examples elaborated:

1.) Tower of Moo Manchu, level 8- the Terracotta Army

I have seen it best used here and I know I used it as an example. Adapt and choose a MELEE squad. Trust me it's better. Simply use unyeilding vengeance in the first turn. Now imagine everyone doing this. The 6-10k damage that the Army does combined in a single turn is now zero. If the spell is not available first turn but later, players can still use it to avoid explosion damage. That is why I want more pirates to use it. It still has reasonable damage, 172, being a mooshu weapon. I am seriously encouraging you to at least try it out in Moo and see for yourself.

2.) Moo Himself.

There were 4 of us- 2 in one side and 2 in the other. I used it for my self, the pirate next to me, and our MELEE companions + 1 Scratch. Those on the other side did not use it and also had a lot of MELEE units. 60% of the army came to me and my fellow pirate, whilst the rest attacked the other 2. We survived with zero losses, they had 2 dead and some badly injured.

3.) Kane Battle 1 and 2.

Whilst it is better suited to bucks and bucklers in this case, if a pirate does decide to go full MELEE whilst some others go full ranged or mixed, the weapon is still useful. I have sent out my MELEE companions to attack and have a greater chance to distract enemies. They get hit, albeit with zero damage taken, whilst the ranged units can attack from distance. It is even great when used properly against Kane.

Pls, just try and see for yourself.
I have the Unyielding Hiragana & I've used it. Although I've trained smashy weapons, it's really not suitable to my class ( swashbuckler ) or style of fighting.
I really can't recommend this weapon as a "must have" as it is limited to one use and one style of play. There are more useful gear that truly benefit a team play. Blood Flames are a good example of this. Even then I would hesitate to say that it's an absolute "must have".
Throughout this game I've seen many posts touting this or that gear, weapon, companion, etc. as "must haves" for every battle. None of them are essential to success.
The fact is, you've come up with a workable strategy using this weapon and that's great! But it doesn't make it a "must have".

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
anecorbie on Feb 22, 2017 wrote:
I have the Unyielding Hiragana & I've used it. Although I've trained smashy weapons, it's really not suitable to my class ( swashbuckler ) or style of fighting.
I really can't recommend this weapon as a "must have" as it is limited to one use and one style of play. There are more useful gear that truly benefit a team play. Blood Flames are a good example of this. Even then I would hesitate to say that it's an absolute "must have".
Throughout this game I've seen many posts touting this or that gear, weapon, companion, etc. as "must haves" for every battle. None of them are essential to success.
The fact is, you've come up with a workable strategy using this weapon and that's great! But it doesn't make it a "must have".
Fair enough lol. I still recommend people experimenting with it a few times. Like you I am a buckler myself and I found it incredible for all rounds of Moo, particularly the last 2 as I have mentioned. I still do think it's a great choice for fights like this but if you can minimise companion life loss in other ways that's also good. And in regards to blood flames I find it amazing in nearly every single situation save smugglers- those musk bombs are annoying when they extinguish the lethal fire. I have a feeling that due to this Polaris, or whatever world is next, will have aoe attacks that significantly reduce the effects of flames. I can already see those polar bear musks bombing the field.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Golden Guardian on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
Fair enough lol. I still recommend people experimenting with it a few times. Like you I am a buckler myself and I found it incredible for all rounds of Moo, particularly the last 2 as I have mentioned. I still do think it's a great choice for fights like this but if you can minimise companion life loss in other ways that's also good. And in regards to blood flames I find it amazing in nearly every single situation save smugglers- those musk bombs are annoying when they extinguish the lethal fire. I have a feeling that due to this Polaris, or whatever world is next, will have aoe attacks that significantly reduce the effects of flames. I can already see those polar bear musks bombing the field.
Agreed, I've noticed a trend in the AI of our enemies - they're playing "smarter", they know our companion's weaknesses and play accordingly.
In Moo Tower the Inoshishi Necromancers target Blood Flames frequently.
The Unicorn Bucks will charge companions with Repel Boarders whether they're "hidden" or not.
Looking forward to more advanced enemies whether in Polaris or another world.