Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

People, I think it's time to talk and brainstorm.

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
So, I have enjoyed W101 and P101 and the amazing capabilities they've done, in terms of sever, graphical, and tech clients, which I don't have more info on what proprietary tech KI uses in their ongoing MMOs, but, let me ask you these questions, everyone, even to those who are very tech savvy.

Now, before you say anything, this is a discussion & brainstorming topic, and I would like you all to please stay positive, but your opinions on this are welcome.

1.) What proprietary tech KI has do you think is severely outdated and needs overhauls that are way overdue throughout the years?

2.) What internal systems should be refined so it could be far more easier for KI to create more content updates to their MMOs?

3.) If KI could severely upgrade the graphical, server, and tech capabilities on their MMOs without sacrificing smooth frame rates, like how some people are doing today, and keep computers from crashing, what would be necessary to accomplish all that?

4.) We know KI formed in 2005, but they've come a long way since that time, but did they take some time to upgrade their internal technology since time to time?

So, this is what I have been pondering for a long time. We all like the game's original styles, and we like their mechanics, but would you like KI to upgrade their MMOs' internal engines, server, tech, and graphical clients to allow greater capabilities, allow them to create more content more easier, while keeping the original styles, with better details, like smoother, more varied animations, higher polygon models, and better textures, easier more robust content creation systems, & more, like you're seeing lately in newer games or notable games that got graphical overhauls?

Let me be honest, I've read some posts in the W101 forums concerning about the game's state throughout the years. They do have valid points, KI should do upkeep to their games' internal tech and graphical capabilities, lest they risk degrading their fan bases. But, these all cost money.

This is where the brainstorming comes in. I know KI wants to keep on making content updates to their games, but what would you do to turn the overhauls to their games into reality? My idea to that is this; crowdfunding.

People made crowdfunding a great success, and they've learned many lessons to avoid making mistakes, that I won't mention here(please take that somewhere outside here, thank you), and if people can do crowdfunding to games & MMOs, can KI do it to greatly improve their MMOs' clients, tech, etc., too?

So, I ask you this, not just to those who work at KI, but to those who play their MMOs, including famous fan site owners, what can we do to make these overhauls a reality?

Let's face it, people, the technology that made great MMOs, it's evolving big time so fast. Don't you think it's time KI catches up on it?

This is to ensure KI & their games keep on going for a long time. Let's come together & brainstorm ideas!

NOTE: Game examples not needed here.

Ensign
Jun 22, 2010
Wouldn't they just make a new game with a newer game engine? I don't think it'd be profitable to overhaul a game like this. You're basically asking them to go back and modify hundreds of thousands of game items that we've already purchased or explored. Where's the money in that? I can't think of a single re-branded old MMO that's done well (Everquest's old zones being redone as the only example I can think of, and that didn't seem to bring new players in for them), but I can think of a few new MMOs spawned from an existing MMO that *have* done well. Guild Wars 2, Everquest 2, and Lineage 2 being the first that come to mind (let's not mention Asheron's Call 2).

Sure it'd be cool, but realistically they'd probably just make a new game in the same universe, and we'd all start over at level 1 with prettier looks in a prettier world.

Not to mention KI prides themselves on having games that run on really low spec machines so kids can play on PCs and laptop hand-me-downs from their parents. That model seems to have served them really well.

And wouldn't it be weird to have KI run a kickstarter? They're already an established company. That just seems strange to me. That would be like Blizzard using a kickstarter . . . they don't need the development money like a kickstarter company does?

Honestly I don't know why we would even need to brainstorm this . . . let KI do their job.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
These are internal business matters of KingsIsle; I'm sure they're aware of the necessity to maintain and make updates ( which they do ) & asking them to overhaul their system isn't part of our business to make opinions into matters most here don't understand.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Bring your friends to play this game.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Sandy Witch on Jan 5, 2017 wrote:
Wouldn't they just make a new game with a newer game engine? I don't think it'd be profitable to overhaul a game like this. You're basically asking them to go back and modify hundreds of thousands of game items that we've already purchased or explored. Where's the money in that? I can't think of a single re-branded old MMO that's done well (Everquest's old zones being redone as the only example I can think of, and that didn't seem to bring new players in for them), but I can think of a few new MMOs spawned from an existing MMO that *have* done well. Guild Wars 2, Everquest 2, and Lineage 2 being the first that come to mind (let's not mention Asheron's Call 2).

Sure it'd be cool, but realistically they'd probably just make a new game in the same universe, and we'd all start over at level 1 with prettier looks in a prettier world.

Not to mention KI prides themselves on having games that run on really low spec machines so kids can play on PCs and laptop hand-me-downs from their parents. That model seems to have served them really well.

And wouldn't it be weird to have KI run a kickstarter? They're already an established company. That just seems strange to me. That would be like Blizzard using a kickstarter . . . they don't need the development money like a kickstarter company does?

Honestly I don't know why we would even need to brainstorm this . . . let KI do their job.
Hmm... now that I think of it... doing the overhauls would take a lot of work & time, not to mention more people than KI has presently. The only thing is, I'm not comfortable with them just starting over with a new engine. Probably be a bigger waste o' time & money than we presume.

Well, I do get your valid points, but, I'm not saying for KI to divert their time for updates to do it now, just someday.

Well, not too weird. Honestly, I don't know of such attempt to do crowdfunding in order to afford technological & graphical overhauls has been succeeded before.

Still, it never hurts to think & try it someday.

Just so you know, older systems will be obsolete one day, even KI's proprietary tech, & they may prepare one day, just in case. Can't be too cautious & aware of evolution in technology & upkeep.

But, like you said, I'll let KI do their job. Don't worry. Not causing any arguments to this. This post is just something for them to consider someday.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
anecorbie on Jan 5, 2017 wrote:
These are internal business matters of KingsIsle; I'm sure they're aware of the necessity to maintain and make updates ( which they do ) & asking them to overhaul their system isn't part of our business to make opinions into matters most here don't understand.
OK, so maybe it could be more complicated than I thought. Probably may take a lot more to pull it off, considering.

My point is, I just thought that since looking back on such accomplishments KI did throughout the years, yet, looking on the graphics & technology that have drastically evolved so quickly from the time W101 launched almost 10 years ago to today, possibly even before that, I couldn't help but get a bit concerned about what would occur for KI later on.

Don't worry, I won't say much. Just a bit concerned.

Your statement is reasonable, that I understand. I, or rather, along with many, probably don't understand plenty on what goes on in KI, anyway. Just had thoughts.