Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why Do Buccaneers + companions die so fast?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 29, 2013
Hello There!

I'm Wondering Why When i go into battle and the first few rounds of any enemie i'm already half health, if someone could teach me who to use and what i should do.

Thanks!

Seth Noble (level 70)
Adam Noble (Swash) (level 13)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
piratesrock456392 on Nov 27, 2016 wrote:
Hello There!

I'm Wondering Why When i go into battle and the first few rounds of any enemie i'm already half health, if someone could teach me who to use and what i should do.

Thanks!

Seth Noble (level 70)
Adam Noble (Swash) (level 13)
You're a Buccaneer, do you use shields like Leviathan? Buff up yourself and your team with Whale's Might? Cross the board in a single round with Highland Charge? Use Vicious and Brutal Charges against your opponents reducing their accuracy? If you're not utilizing ALL aspects of a Buccaneer's arsenal, then you will be defeated a majority of the time.
I suggest some practice matches in the Spar Chamber to get experience.
Some suggestions on crew choices:
Peter Quint
Goronado ( fight Gortez in the Gold Mine 24 more times to unlock him in the Crown Shop, he's worth it. )
Kobe Yojimbo is actually a viable choice, tough for a swashbuckler, he has some good attacks and can be trained in First Strike 3 for when you're facing those Hidden opponents.
Ratbeard, has his own shield and with Hold the Line 3 and First Strike 3 is a force to be reckoned with.
I'm sure others will be able to give you some more in depth advice, so I'll just leave you this last tip - have fun!

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
I usually use toro (damage), bonnie (range), and peter quint because he is amazing at everything and has such good epics and talents.

Ensign
Oct 29, 2015
Buccaneers are for tanking purposes, meaning you should focus on buffing up with the powers provided to you, along with much more from gear grants- such as Valor's Fortress. That being said, sometimes taking damage works in your favor more than your opponent, it's what makes buccaneers a good class in whole.

Ensign
Dec 22, 2016
PrivateersCode on Dec 13, 2016 wrote:
Buccaneers are for tanking purposes, meaning you should focus on buffing up with the powers provided to you, along with much more from gear grants- such as Valor's Fortress. That being said, sometimes taking damage works in your favor more than your opponent, it's what makes buccaneers a good class in whole.
The problem with them being tanks is that they get hit just for moving and they are hit by gunfire and by magic attacks, gun fire is treated as a magic attack rather than as a melee attack. The problem here is that a buck has a high melee defense reduction and a nearly non existent magic damage armor reduction. If bucks move they get blasted for it, and unless they can detect invisibility they are going to be hit by swashbucklers at x2 damage amounts that far exceed their supposedly high armor reductions. This means that buccaneers really need to buff up with damage reduction cards, but since at the higher levels players have cards and talents that remove buffs from players all the buffing can be totally erased and done so by those who are and remain invisible.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
spittingsea on Feb 4, 2017 wrote:
The problem with them being tanks is that they get hit just for moving and they are hit by gunfire and by magic attacks, gun fire is treated as a magic attack rather than as a melee attack. The problem here is that a buck has a high melee defense reduction and a nearly non existent magic damage armor reduction. If bucks move they get blasted for it, and unless they can detect invisibility they are going to be hit by swashbucklers at x2 damage amounts that far exceed their supposedly high armor reductions. This means that buccaneers really need to buff up with damage reduction cards, but since at the higher levels players have cards and talents that remove buffs from players all the buffing can be totally erased and done so by those who are and remain invisible.
In my opinion, Bucks are at the top of the pvp food chain and being solid in pvp, more often than not, also means they are well suited to handle any pve situations they come across. Yes they are tanks, but when they shield and buff and then rush you...watch out. Bucks and many Buck companions have accuracy and/or agility reducing attacks and after they've increased their strength, the epic chains they are capable of will put the health of their adversaries into the red very quickly. In my opinion, a well built Buck, in the hands of someone who knows how to use them, is the most formidable pirate in the game and I cringe when I face them in pvp.