Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

I don't want to kill an innocent creature!

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
I am on the quest 'when East meets West' on my privateer in Moo Shu. This is the promotion for egg shen. Anyways, I need to defeat six sky turtles and collect their gizzards. Hold up. Turtles don't have gizzards! If you didn't know, the gizzard is a special stomach in some birds, like owls. Owls' gizzards take what they can not digest, like fur and bones, and compress it all into a pellet that they spit up.
TURTLES DON'T HAVE GIZZARDS!

Also, why would we want to fight a cute sky turtle?
I love the friendly sky turtle that floats around the skyways! Turtles are one of my favorite animals!

Also, keep in mind that kids play this game too. Ripping a stomach out of a cute animal may be a little too violent for some kids. You have all the turtle pets and a turtle mount for the people who love the amazing animals. It seems wrong to have to do this.

I know there are other parts in the game that are not very child friendly, but they are mostly at the end of the game (or where it ends for now), and are usually hidden so that children may not get what it means (ex. "and why stop at only one heart" -Kane).

I beg you to consider changing this.

Maybe you could change it to gathering turtle feet, or change the quest to defeating something else, like sky dragons or something. There is no reason it has to be a cute turtle that you have to defeat.

Think about it
-Madison Winterhorn

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
1. Turtles may not have gizzards, but SKY turtles do.

2. As long as they don't show it, I'm perfectly fine having to rip out a turtle's gizzard for a quest. (Wow, that sounds messed up) And also, most kids probably won't even know what a gizzard is.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MadisonWinterHorn on Jul 1, 2016 wrote:
I am on the quest 'when East meets West' on my privateer in Moo Shu. This is the promotion for egg shen. Anyways, I need to defeat six sky turtles and collect their gizzards. Hold up. Turtles don't have gizzards! If you didn't know, the gizzard is a special stomach in some birds, like owls. Owls' gizzards take what they can not digest, like fur and bones, and compress it all into a pellet that they spit up.

I love the friendly sky turtle that floats around the skyways! Turtles are one of my favorite animals!

Also, keep in mind that kids play this game too. Ripping a stomach out of a cute animal may be a little too violent for some kids. You have all the turtle pets and a turtle mount for the people who love the amazing animals. It seems wrong to have to do this.

I know there are other parts in the game that are not very child friendly, but they are mostly at the end of the game (or where it ends for now), and are usually hidden so that children may not get what it means (ex. "and why stop at only one heart" -Kane).

Maybe you could change it to gathering turtle feet, or change the quest to defeating something else, like sky dragons or something. There is no reason it has to be a cute turtle that you have to defeat.

Think about it
-Madison Winterhorn
1. KI doesn't actually show you "ripping a stomach out of a cute animal."
2. Would asking for their livers be more accurate? Since they don't have gizzards, might as well teach the kids anatomy.
3. How is chopping feet off a cute animal any more acceptable?
4. There are two promotion quests asking you to gather sky dragon horns and one side quest asking for sky dragon manes.
5. Don't sky dragons qualify for the right to live ( or is it only "cute" animals? ) And some people consider sky dragons as cute.
Don't you see how ridiculous this argument is? Think about it.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
MadisonWinterHorn on Jul 1, 2016 wrote:

Think about it
-Madison Winterhorn
There are two types of turtles in the skyways. The harmless messenger turtles that stick mainly to the wind lanes are non-violent. But if you travel away from the wind lanes you'll run into their more aggressive and dangerous cousins. For the sake of argument maybe we can assume that these nastier versions are the ones you need to defeat for the quest (which is actually the case).
Also, the gizzard thing... turtles don't normally fly or have balloons strapped to their backs either but in the game they do. And why would it be any less heinous to gather turtles' feet? We'd have skyways filled with turtles in wheelchairs!
Fish aren't immune either... we have to take their fins, fillets, scales and teeth at different times.
If the developers chose to adhere to all of the current trends of political, social and ecological correctness then there would be no Pirate101... we'd all be playing Utopia101 where we just stand around all day trying not to offend anyone.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
I like to think of the enemy turtles in Mooshu as more vicious than those that float harmlessly along the skyway. I mean, to be fair, they attack us as we idly float by- we're defending ourselves. And while it's true turtles don't have gizzards, that just adds to the fakeness, thus making it more family-friendly. I mean, imagine if it actually said something along the lines of "defeat innocent turtles and take their stomachs." That wouldn't be PC at all, but I think making it something turtles don't have in the first place (i.e. gizzards) makes it a bit more unrealistic.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Also, sky turtles aren't "friendly", they're vicious beasts who breathe lightening and whack you with their lanterns.

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
anecorbie on Jul 1, 2016 wrote:
1. KI doesn't actually show you "ripping a stomach out of a cute animal."
2. Would asking for their livers be more accurate? Since they don't have gizzards, might as well teach the kids anatomy.
3. How is chopping feet off a cute animal any more acceptable?
4. There are two promotion quests asking you to gather sky dragon horns and one side quest asking for sky dragon manes.
5. Don't sky dragons qualify for the right to live ( or is it only "cute" animals? ) And some people consider sky dragons as cute.
Don't you see how ridiculous this argument is? Think about it.
1. True.
2. Yes! Exactly!
3. You don't have to cut up their insides.
4. Why not make you go for more sky dragons?
5. True. But you're getting a horn and a mane, not killing them. Technically.
6. Kind of.
Think about it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MadisonWinterHorn on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
1. True.
2. Yes! Exactly!
6. Kind of.
Think about it.
3. But you're amputating limbs, this is just as nasty.
4. Why more sky dragons? It would be very boring to be always fighting just one creature.
5. For Subodai's promotion quest he is required to give a gift of 6 ( or 8 ) sky dragon horns. When he presents these to Hunan the Barbarian, his reaction was: "What! Sky Dragons are my Celestial Totem! How dare you kill so many!" Yep, so those dragons died. It is possible that we shaved the manes, but I don't count on it.

And technically, after we defeat the turtles, we could just be doing an operation and removing the gizzard, then releasing them back into the wild. As you have pointed out turtles don't need gizzards. But this is an extremely silly thought of mine.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I actually didn't want to kill them either quite honestly.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Commodore
May 31, 2009
MadisonWinterHorn on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
1. True.
2. Yes! Exactly!
6. Kind of.
Think about it.
But the sky turtles don't have feet...

Why would KI change a quest goal just because of one player who's upset about having to battle a turtle? It's a game for Pete's sake; you're not literally going out and chopping up a turtle for its insides. (Well, I hope you aren't.) There's nothing wrong with defeat-and-collect goals involving the skyway creatures. We've done it before with other critters all over the Spiral, so why is this quest any different?

"Change the quest to defeating something else, like sky dragons or something. There is no reason that it has to be a cute turtle that you have to defeat." (from original post)

So you're saying you'd rather slaughter a dragon than a turtle that wants to attack your pirate with an equal amount of aggression as the dragon? Those turtles aren't at all friendly; they might be cute to some but they're not going to roll over and let you scratch their belly. I personally love the dragons of MooShu and I was a bit disappointed at having to defeat them for some quests, but I didn't let that stop me. If everyone got their way in not having to fight enemies they thought were cute, the game would be nothing more than a bunch of people doing silly tasks like picking flowers or cooking apple pies to appease their enemies.

If fighting turtles bothers you that much, then why doesn't anything else? There are plenty of other creatures in the game that people could find cute or not want to defeat. Pirate101 is a game that's all about defeating enemies; if people are going to get tripped up because they don't want to "kill" something they find cute, they'll have to learn to get over it because KingsIsle isn't going to censor every little thing. It'd make the game pointless and take the little bit of reality that's in the Spiral away.

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
anecorbie on Jul 3, 2016 wrote:
3. But you're amputating limbs, this is just as nasty.
4. Why more sky dragons? It would be very boring to be always fighting just one creature.
5. For Subodai's promotion quest he is required to give a gift of 6 ( or 8 ) sky dragon horns. When he presents these to Hunan the Barbarian, his reaction was: "What! Sky Dragons are my Celestial Totem! How dare you kill so many!" Yep, so those dragons died. It is possible that we shaved the manes, but I don't count on it.

And technically, after we defeat the turtles, we could just be doing an operation and removing the gizzard, then releasing them back into the wild. As you have pointed out turtles don't need gizzards. But this is an extremely silly thought of mine.
I agree. Good point, especially on the last part.

Petty Officer
Dec 20, 2012
But you're okay with killing other aninals madison?

Skull Island - you have to kill batacuda and get their meat
(Monquista) Subodai's first promo - pluck feathers off of skarakeets
Cool ranch - collect buffaloon meat and hide. requires them to die first.
Mooshu - As said before, you kill the sky dragons to "impress" Hunan.
Marleybone - kill sky gars for their meat.
Aquila - pluck the feathers off harpies.

Now compare all this to the Sky Turtle gizzard you mentioned. Also do you think a turtle that could whack ya with laterns would rip their stomach open to give you a gizzard? It's not going to.

Ensign
Jan 14, 2015
In Valencia part 2 you have to kill Void Fish at the stormgate (from Mooshu to Valencia) to make filets for Don Lucci.