Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

I'm done

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I took my best pirate and got him up to level 65 in anticipation of Book 15.

But now I find that KI has apparently decided to go the way of Celestia+ and make the enemies in Valencia so hard that you have to hire henchmen in every single battle.

No. Just no.

I'm done.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Sorry to hear that you're throwing in the towel. Many have asked for advice on getting their [insert pirate class here] through with the new difficulty, and have been successful. My own experience has shown that a change in strategy -- and a little bit of luck -- is all that is needed.

Henchmen are sometimes nice, but not required by any stretch.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Max DeGroot on Jun 30, 2016 wrote:

But now I find that KI has apparently decided to go the way of Celestia+ and make the enemies in Valencia so hard that you have to hire henchmen in every single battle.

No. Just no.

I'm done.
Not up for the challenge eh?

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
If you need henchmen every battle then you need a LOT of practice. Companions may go down, but that doesn't stop me.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

No. Just no.

I'm done.
You don't need henchmen, but you do need to do more than the main quest line. You have to do some side quests and get that level up.
I found out myself level 65 is too low for many battles in VA2.

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012

No. Just no.

I'm done.
Musketeer: Agility buff shield your pirate, scratch buff, overwatch spam, op scratch boosted heals and bombs gg
Privy: Scratch, shields, more scratch, heals, zeal, espirit, even more scratch gg
Swashbuckler: Why would any swashbuckler struggle in PvE?
Witch: Widow touch someone important, spam scratch boosted op powers gg
Buccaneer: Shield, whale might, reduce everything and kill it gg
No henchmen required

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Let me put it this way:

I went to the library, and was told to go collect a delinquent book. I go there, and I get attacked. After I buffed everyone in the first round, in the second, one of the enemies took out, not one, but two of my companions. In one round. And my companions were the same level as my pirate. I then hired two henchmen and managed to defeat the rest. So, I go back to the guy to collect the book, and by some glitch he attacked me a second time. This time I hired a henchman at the beginning. And I still lost a companion.

Then I get sent out to the void to fight fish. And had to hire henchmen there, as I was losing companions there as well.

So, I finally get to see the Valencian King. I hire a henchmen at the beginning, and lost all my companions and the henchman in two rounds.

Now, exactly what kind of strategy would have helped a Privateer, you tell me.

Ensign
Jul 01, 2009
Adam Wintersinger on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
Not up for the challenge eh?
That wasn't very polite. He might be soloing and its a little harder when you solo. When I did my promotion quest for Gaspard on my privateer, I ended up having to use a henchman once, after all my companions died in one of the many battles. On my witchdoctor, I did the same quest line to promote her companion, and never needed a henchman at all. Sometimes it depends on what pirate class you are using.

Maybe there are some guides out there that can help with strategy, or with what skills to give your companions. I think Pirate101 Central might have some.

Remember, this game needs as many players as it can get right now. Lets encourage each other, not put each other down.

I hope you decide to stay, Max. I know the feeling. I left Wizzy because I had bad luck with team up and I don't have enough friends left anymore to even complete the Rat, or finish Darkmoor lol. I found Wizzy more tedious than hard, but I still don't want to see Pirates go down that road. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Lieutenant
Apr 06, 2016

No. Just no.

I'm done.
Isn't that great! Now We can all have a challenge and it can make the update longer to deal with!

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
Max DeGroot on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
Let me put it this way:

I went to the library, and was told to go collect a delinquent book. I go there, and I get attacked. After I buffed everyone in the first round, in the second, one of the enemies took out, not one, but two of my companions. In one round. And my companions were the same level as my pirate. I then hired two henchmen and managed to defeat the rest. So, I go back to the guy to collect the book, and by some glitch he attacked me a second time. This time I hired a henchman at the beginning. And I still lost a companion.

Then I get sent out to the void to fight fish. And had to hire henchmen there, as I was losing companions there as well.

So, I finally get to see the Valencian King. I hire a henchmen at the beginning, and lost all my companions and the henchman in two rounds.

First of all who did you use?
Secondly "Buffed" doesn't describe the situation well if you used a will buff with a team of bucklers won't be much help right
And seriously look at their epics use companions that have an advantage over them, train good talents and epics, if your using a monkey king with flanking and bladestorm of course you will lose. In all honesty there is ZERO need for henchmen to solo any of the battles in Valencia part 2 except MAYBE Kane depending on luck etc.
As for privateer glad you asked, in the fight to collect the book I would of personally used Bonnie Toro Scratch
Bonnie has Over-watch 3 which will make them miss, Toro had espirit and can score chains on them by using there talents against them, Scratch lets you use 900 Group heals etc.
As well your henchmen could of been level 15 or 70, every detail matters keep that in mind when you look at there epics.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Let me put it this way:

Please don't give up, Max.
I will say some classes do have more problems than others in Valencia; for example: my musketeer had the easiest time, but my witchdoctor and privateer the hardest.
First off I recommend doing these quests first as they are easy and give good XP.
"See Beautiful Florenza" from Alberto Buitoni in the main plaza.
"Seal of Approval" from Zokei Bai Mei in Florenza docks.
"Pizza Delivery" the guardsmen near the Tower of Pizza.
Ship to ship combat in Valencia is easy!
Privateer Strategies:
Use Emmett and his slow down to prevent charging Bucks and bucklers.
Use Ratbeard for his Hold the Line & he's tough with his own buck charge and knockback.
Believe it or not, Iago is also very useful in situations with bucklers.
Have you forgotten Bonnie Anne? put her behind you and shield her.
You have the best choice of many companions ( more than any class in the game. )
You have any number of team buffs - use them!
Doubloons, Doubloons, Doubloons... even a low ranked summons can distract an attack on you.
And you don't need henchmen.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Let me put it this way:

As a privy, you should wear full tower gear if you're struggling and use valor's fortresses on your companions. Hat can prevent a lot of deaths.

For companions, use:
Emmet
Marchioness
Lucky Jack Russell if you have him (if not, use Egg Shen)

I don't have a max privy but I know for a fact that a crew like this will work well

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Quite Jacques on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
First of all who did you use?
Secondly "Buffed" doesn't describe the situation well if you used a will buff with a team of bucklers won't be much help right
And seriously look at their epics use companions that have an advantage over them, train good talents and epics, if your using a monkey king with flanking and bladestorm of course you will lose. In all honesty there is ZERO need for henchmen to solo any of the battles in Valencia part 2 except MAYBE Kane depending on luck etc.
As for privateer glad you asked, in the fight to collect the book I would of personally used Bonnie Toro Scratch
Bonnie has Over-watch 3 which will make them miss, Toro had espirit and can score chains on them by using there talents against them, Scratch lets you use 900 Group heals etc.
As well your henchmen could of been level 15 or 70, every detail matters keep that in mind when you look at there epics.
If it matters which companion you use, don't tell me which ones are no good, tell me which ones to use! Come on! Except for the Presidio companion, all privateers get the same companions! Tell me which ones to use!

And tell me which buff I should use in the first two rounds, because by the end of the second, two of my companions were gone, after the enemy first made contact.

Telling me "you did it wrong" doesn't help one iota.

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
Max DeGroot on Jul 3, 2016 wrote:
If it matters which companion you use, don't tell me which ones are no good, tell me which ones to use! Come on! Except for the Presidio companion, all privateers get the same companions! Tell me which ones to use!

And tell me which buff I should use in the first two rounds, because by the end of the second, two of my companions were gone, after the enemy first made contact.

Telling me "you did it wrong" doesn't help one iota.
I want you to tell me what you did so I can tell you what i would of done instead. In the book mini dungeon I would of,
1. Use barricade to block one path by the table, and use toro buff, and scratch 5 turn buff
2. Another espirit/shield bonnie or toro
3. Attack and occasional healing/shielding as seems fit

As for good companions
Bonnie, Over-watch 3 Burst fire 2 etc.
Toro, First strike 3 Relentless 2
Egg, Relentless 3 Bladestorm 3
Scratch, Mojo echo 3 Improved mojo blast 3 Witch hunter 1
Bill Vs Muskets, True grit 2 Burst fire 2 Double tap 2
Jane Vs Muskets ONLY, True grit 3 Over-watch 3
Ratbeard, Hold the line 3 Repel borders 3 cheap shot 2 OR bladestorm 2
Emmet, Over-watch 3 True grit 3
I often see people use companions that are in my opinion HORRIBLE in Valencia part 2 such as
Shiruko Necko
Monkey King
Iago
All bat companions
Cat-beard
Argos
Etc.

And there are the MEH companions
Hawkules
Contessa
Marchioness

And there are companions that are ONLY good if used with another companion
Gracie With Scratch
Inoshishi Clanlord With something weak that does LOADS of damage

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
if you have captain bloods jacket its a lifesaver emmet is a must as well if fighting melee i'd use ranged hits or combo weapon range for yourself, buffs yes but dont bunch your companions together.. va2 just requires a switch of the same-old tactics to newer ones, if you MUST be melee have heavy armor 70+ and spam any doubloons that pop up.. i keep my companions on random and havent lost out but once.. i did however swap to a fighter-pet instead of a 6-granter..rainbow blessing is nice time warp epic..
i believe in you.. and so do all the others that have answered you!
breathe and re-assess your options..you can do this!
stormy jen silver

Ensign
May 09, 2013
Quite Jacques on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
Musketeer: Agility buff shield your pirate, scratch buff, overwatch spam, op scratch boosted heals and bombs gg
Privy: Scratch, shields, more scratch, heals, zeal, espirit, even more scratch gg
Swashbuckler: Why would any swashbuckler struggle in PvE?
Witch: Widow touch someone important, spam scratch boosted op powers gg
Buccaneer: Shield, whale might, reduce everything and kill it gg
No henchmen required
Man my swash struggles with that stupid library book quest. Just did it about 4 times today. Little did I know that if you jump straight back in after healing without resetting the instance, although I won (finally), the quest reset and I had to go all over again.

Those NPCs are a bit OP. But I'll find a way around it. I got a bunch of drops from it, and just need to update my gear.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Aussie Fire on Jul 13, 2016 wrote:
Man my swash struggles with that stupid library book quest. Just did it about 4 times today. Little did I know that if you jump straight back in after healing without resetting the instance, although I won (finally), the quest reset and I had to go all over again.

Those NPCs are a bit OP. But I'll find a way around it. I got a bunch of drops from it, and just need to update my gear.
"Yarrrr! That's the spirit!"