Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

swashbuckler controlled pvp

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 17, 2011
i know this will bring some gripes, especially from swashbucklers, but personally I'm tired of fighting mostly nothing but swashbucklers in high level pvp. In my opinion swashbuckler class is extremely over powered in pvp with all the hides and extreme damage plus the "hide and heal ten one shot critical your opponent" tactic when low on health. please look into this kings isle, do some more testing and I'm sure you will see that swashbucklers have many unfair advantages in pvp mostly due to their hide abilities. Something needs to be done to make the class more balanced in pvp and not so OP in pvp. Thank you for listening and taking this into consideration.
sincerely,
long time wizard101 and pirate101 devout player and frustrated pirate101 swashbuckler op pvp opponent.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Covenator1162 on Jan 1, 2016 wrote:
i know this will bring some gripes, especially from swashbucklers, but personally I'm tired of fighting mostly nothing but swashbucklers in high level pvp. In my opinion swashbuckler class is extremely over powered in pvp with all the hides and extreme damage plus the "hide and heal ten one shot critical your opponent" tactic when low on health. please look into this kings isle, do some more testing and I'm sure you will see that swashbucklers have many unfair advantages in pvp mostly due to their hide abilities. Something needs to be done to make the class more balanced in pvp and not so OP in pvp. Thank you for listening and taking this into consideration.
sincerely,
long time wizard101 and pirate101 devout player and frustrated pirate101 swashbuckler op pvp opponent.
In my opinion Buccaneers are more powerful than swashbucklers ( and I play all classes ) There are ways to counter Hides and they have been covered extensively on these boards; as a little research will show you.
As to "unfair", all classes have unique powers that set them apart and are difficult to counter so do I conclude that musketeers knockback bombs and a barricade I can't jump is "unfair" or is the stunning blow from a buccaneer that prevents my use of first strike "unfair", or etc, etc ........ Of course not.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Covenator1162 on Jan 1, 2016 wrote:
sincerely,
If Swashbucklers are OP(I'm not saying I disagree), then what do you propose to do about it? As they say, it's easier to criticize than to create. Don't ask them to run tests and waste valuable time. If it's such a problem, don't whine about it to the boards, but take the time to come up with a potential solution. Once you have a potential solution, present it to the boards to get opinions and (hopefully constructive) criticisms. Then, once it's refined, try to bring it to the attention of Pirate101 staff.

Now, what do you think is the grand solution to end the years (at this point, I think this debate actually is a few years) old debate? What could you do to swashbucklers to make them less of a problem?

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 1, 2016 wrote:
In my opinion Buccaneers are more powerful than swashbucklers ( and I play all classes ) There are ways to counter Hides and they have been covered extensively on these boards; as a little research will show you.
As to "unfair", all classes have unique powers that set them apart and are difficult to counter so do I conclude that musketeers knockback bombs and a barricade I can't jump is "unfair" or is the stunning blow from a buccaneer that prevents my use of first strike "unfair", or etc, etc ........ Of course not.
Life is unfair on purpose to make you stronger and force you to grow. Unfair is good at times.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Swashbucklers just seem op because most people think they can't combat them they don't try giving them the status of overpowered and then you will fight more swashies because of this that's why you see them all the time in pvp

Ensign
Apr 26, 2011
From my experiences of being a Swashie, I think it is absolutely fair. I think this because.......

1) Swashies have less health than others, and Swashies don't get heals like Privateers, (unless they use their training points on it) and Buccaneers can put up a great fight!
2) Musketeers have ranged shots so Swashies can't reach you. (That is unless again, training points.) Also, Musketeers get traps, and Swashies could easily run into some traps.
3) Swashies get less companions if I am correct, and that is because they are powerful. Each school has their own unique talent, (so I have read) which makes PVP fair.
4) This may only be me, but the companions get promoted at a low level, but to promote Sarah Steele and Subodai took me some time. Sarah Steele's next promotion as a Mouse Corsair takes a very long amount of time and I got kind of annoyed.
5) Witchdoctors also have ranged attacks (Spells) and also get their own unique companions that are very useful if they're used right.
6) So in the end, Swashies have a 50% of winning. I am not saying this because I am a Swashbuckler. I am saying this because all schools have the same chance of winning. I think the staff did a great job, and doesn't need to change anything, so, maybe you just hadn't had any luck with Swashies. Level up and get stronger! <3

~Abigail

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
sarahbrown05 on Jan 5, 2016 wrote:
From my experiences of being a Swashie, I think it is absolutely fair. I think this because.......

1) Swashies have less health than others, and Swashies don't get heals like Privateers, (unless they use their training points on it) and Buccaneers can put up a great fight!
2) Musketeers have ranged shots so Swashies can't reach you. (That is unless again, training points.) Also, Musketeers get traps, and Swashies could easily run into some traps.
3) Swashies get less companions if I am correct, and that is because they are powerful. Each school has their own unique talent, (so I have read) which makes PVP fair.
4) This may only be me, but the companions get promoted at a low level, but to promote Sarah Steele and Subodai took me some time. Sarah Steele's next promotion as a Mouse Corsair takes a very long amount of time and I got kind of annoyed.
5) Witchdoctors also have ranged attacks (Spells) and also get their own unique companions that are very useful if they're used right.
6) So in the end, Swashies have a 50% of winning. I am not saying this because I am a Swashbuckler. I am saying this because all schools have the same chance of winning. I think the staff did a great job, and doesn't need to change anything, so, maybe you just hadn't had any luck with Swashies. Level up and get stronger! <3

~Abigail
Witchdoctors also get ranged attacks (spells) and also get there own unique companions that are very useful if they're used right

That's only old scratch witches can't really use their own class companions in the arena and are forced to become an uber class in PvP

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
sarahbrown05 on Jan 5, 2016 wrote:

~Abigail
1. Just because you don't have as much health doesn't mean you have inferior defense. You've got hides to make yourself untargetable, high dodge to make you harder to hit, and Riposte to punish any misses.
2. Those shots have limited range (if I recall correctly a swashbuckler's move radius is greater than a musketeer's range), and Swashbucklers have Alert to deal with traps.
3. Doesn't matter. There's only a few good ones, and Swashbucklers get/can get enough of those. I'll take 3 great companions over 10,000 bad ones any day.
4. Irrelevant to PvP, especially at max.
5. If you spread your companions out, Witchdoctor spells are pretty unimpressive. Useful companions? Don't make me laugh. Those have bad range, bad accuracy, bad dodge, bad heath, and mediocre damage. Any Witch using any witchdoctor other than Old Scratch is going to get destroyed.
6. It's a lot more than 50%. Swashbucklers are one of the more powerful classes. It's not a coin flip.
You'll also have to understand that people will take your words with a grain of salt. Since you're a Swashbuckler, we all know which way you're probably going to be biased.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Robobot1747 on Jan 7, 2016 wrote:
1. Just because you don't have as much health doesn't mean you have inferior defense. You've got hides to make yourself untargetable, high dodge to make you harder to hit, and Riposte to punish any misses.
2. Those shots have limited range (if I recall correctly a swashbuckler's move radius is greater than a musketeer's range), and Swashbucklers have Alert to deal with traps.
3. Doesn't matter. There's only a few good ones, and Swashbucklers get/can get enough of those. I'll take 3 great companions over 10,000 bad ones any day.
4. Irrelevant to PvP, especially at max.
5. If you spread your companions out, Witchdoctor spells are pretty unimpressive. Useful companions? Don't make me laugh. Those have bad range, bad accuracy, bad dodge, bad heath, and mediocre damage. Any Witch using any witchdoctor other than Old Scratch is going to get destroyed.
6. It's a lot more than 50%. Swashbucklers are one of the more powerful classes. It's not a coin flip.
You'll also have to understand that people will take your words with a grain of salt. Since you're a Swashbuckler, we all know which way you're probably going to be biased.
1. We're not un-target-able, AoEs still hit us and WDs ( with Old Scratches buff ) can hit with a Mojo Storm with incredible damage.
2.Alert gives a 50% reduction to trap damage, this doesn't mean that my health can't be reduced significantly by carpeting an area with traps and bombs.
3. Actually, Musketeers get less companions than anyone, Swashies are in the middle.
4. Right, when you hit max and most of your companions are also at max, choosing a winning PVP team is easier.
5. Unfortunately, you're right about the quality of WD companions.
6. I believe that the percentage of SB wins maybe more like 65% But what do I know? I'm a biased SB.