Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

New Outfit Idea

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 22, 2009
Most of the P101 outfits are based off of real-life uniforms, especially the Armada's (and especially the Battle Angels, which are modeled after Prussian uniforms). The developers did a very good job with the outfits, thank you!

This post probably won't be noticed, but I found a pretty cool uniform idea, so I'd thought I'd share

Quick history lesson (sorry, I'm a history nerd): ever heard of the Winged Hussars? They were the absolute bomb back in the day; the elite elite of the Polish army. They were the cavalry and let me tell you, there were cases where the enemy would literally run away when they showed up mostly because of how terrifying their uniforms were. Not because of how they looked, but because of how they sounded. That sounds kinda weird, but trust me, these guys didn't mess around at all. They put wings on their uniforms made out of ostrich feathers, and when their horses ran, the winds whistled through them creating a super loud noise that basically made the other army freak out majorly (and I don't suppose the horses loved the noise either). And that's why I love talking about these guys so much; aside from being amazing fighters, they looked awesome and you would see the wings from quite a ways away which I'm sure didn't help the opposing army's confidence.

Anyways (sorry about that: I tend to go on when I talk about historical stuff), about the uniform idea being included in P101. I also play W101 (admittedly, not as much as I used to), and I know that there's an outfit with wings on the back that is somewhat similar to the Winged Hussars' uniforms. Although it looks nice, I can't see a Pirate wearing a tunic with wings on the back. If it were created for a Pirate, it would have to look more threatening, less fantasy and fantastical and more along the lines of Don't mess with me.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ryan deClark on Oct 17, 2014 wrote:
Most of the P101 outfits are based off of real-life uniforms, especially the Armada's (and especially the Battle Angels, which are modeled after Prussian uniforms). The developers did a very good job with the outfits, thank you!

This post probably won't be noticed, but I found a pretty cool uniform idea, so I'd thought I'd share

Quick history lesson (sorry, I'm a history nerd): ever heard of the Winged Hussars? They were the absolute bomb back in the day; the elite elite of the Polish army. They were the cavalry and let me tell you, there were cases where the enemy would literally run away when they showed up mostly because of how terrifying their uniforms were. Not because of how they looked, but because of how they sounded. That sounds kinda weird, but trust me, these guys didn't mess around at all. They put wings on their uniforms made out of ostrich feathers, and when their horses ran, the winds whistled through them creating a super loud noise that basically made the other army freak out majorly (and I don't suppose the horses loved the noise either). And that's why I love talking about these guys so much; aside from being amazing fighters, they looked awesome and you would see the wings from quite a ways away which I'm sure didn't help the opposing army's confidence.

Anyways (sorry about that: I tend to go on when I talk about historical stuff), about the uniform idea being included in P101. I also play W101 (admittedly, not as much as I used to), and I know that there's an outfit with wings on the back that is somewhat similar to the Winged Hussars' uniforms. Although it looks nice, I can't see a Pirate wearing a tunic with wings on the back. If it were created for a Pirate, it would have to look more threatening, less fantasy and fantastical and more along the lines of Don't mess with me.
I just have to comment that you are probably not the only 'history nerd' on the message boards! I've seen the armor you describe, and it is both intimidating and beautiful at the same time.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Wonderful post Ryan, I really enjoyed that and thank you for sharing. I'm not a history buff/nerd but I do, absolutely enjoy historical facts, fiction and learning new things about history. That outfit idea, similar to the Winged Hussars, sounds like an amazing one and even if it doesn't make it into the game, I appreciated learning about it from your sharing.

I can imagine how the Hussar's enemies would be overcome with angst and even fear at the sight and sounds of such an unusual battle brigade. As with most things involving confrontations and opposing forces, the mental aspect of the instance plays nearly as much of a role as the physical one. Get into the head of the opposition and you already have the advantage. Strike terror into their psyche and you have gained the upper hand before the confrontation has even gotten underway.

Those uniforms of the Winged Hussars seem pretty amazing and once again, thanks for sharing....and great idea!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Really fascinating stuff Ryan and I LOVE your enthusiasm for history. I love to learn something new each day and you have me several days ahead now. Ya know, I think I would run too if I saw THIS coming at me.