Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Suggestion for new companion task- Pet Trainer

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 18, 2013
With the high costs of morphing these days, both in gold and Energy, I wanted to offer up a suggestion on a small way for companions to further help our morphing projects. It involves the addition of a Pet Trainer talent and task added to the choices of companion tasks.

I think it would be great that once companions reach level 65, companions trained in and assigned to a new Pet Trainer tasks could bring in +3 Energy upon collecting. That would be enough to train a hatchling for a few levels here and there and would help out with waiting out the Energy bottle refill. Pet Trainin' could follow Pet Wranglin' in return and collect times and since level 65 companions take a minimum of just over 7 hours individually to collect (if trained in Pet Trainin'), it's not like we would be getting a ton of Energy coming in. And just like with Pet Wranglin', we would have to sacrifice longer waiting times for Energy returns, every time we add a new companion to the new Pet Trainer task.

Now we get the automatic refill, but this small amount brought in from companions would help, say if we used up all of our Energy training and then go morph and get that overwhelming excitement of finally getting the hybrid or pet we were after-- but alas, no Energy left to train it. Then during our a gameplay, 2 or 3 level 65 companions come in with +3 Energy each, we can now get a small jumpstart on training our new little hatchling, while waiting for the Energy bottle to refill. It doesn't seem like much, but every little bit helps get those little critters trained up to adult.

A new talent could be added to the choice when training/resetting companions. Maybe something like a Pet Trainer talent that a companion can be trained in up to Rank 3.
At Rank 1 the companion will gain +3 to Energy Gathering, and at each additional Rank they can gain an extra +1 Energy upon collecting- for a total of +5 if trained to Pet Trainer Rank 3. There could be a limit of 10 companions assigned to Pet Trainin' and once complete, we collect and it adds to our Energy total. But we will have to be careful and make sure to only collect when it is not full. We can't go above the max Energy allowed and if we collect with a +5 Energy companion and say have 71/72 Energy, then we will forfeit and waste the extra +4 Energy brought in. Likewise it will be important to not just 'quick collect' and waste because we collect when already full.

Or alternately the bringing in of +3 Energy could just be added to Level 65+ companions loot haul upon completion of the current Pet Wranglin' task. But a new task, with new training, would give us another option to assign our trusty crewmembers too.

Just a suggestion and I would love to 'hear' any opinions or thoughts on it-- from players and developers alike.

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
When I think of Pet Trainer as a task, it might make more sense to add XP onto a pet that is not already doing an exercise. I do not have an issue with energy consumption but I am sure lots of people do. Companions collecting energy is a fine idea though.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
i totally agree on this, would help a LOT

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Sounds like a pretty good idea to me....or at least the start of one! I'd be curious to see what Ratbeard thinks about it or at least the idea of giving players another alternative, non-Crowns, way of replenishing their Pet Training Energy.

Developer
Well... I did Yar it.

It's very thorough and well thought through, and we could probably do something like that... but we'd have to carefully review whether or not we want to. We have all those timers for a reason.

Also keep in mind that Energy will ultimately be used for more than just Pets.

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Oct 3, 2014 wrote:
Sounds like a pretty good idea to me....or at least the start of one! I'd be curious to see what Ratbeard thinks about it or at least the idea of giving players another alternative, non-Crowns, way of replenishing their Pet Training Energy.
Ratbeard gave the post a yar, if you did not notice. I guess he likes the idea then.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
EMC99 on Oct 3, 2014 wrote:
Ratbeard gave the post a yar, if you did not notice. I guess he likes the idea then.
Yes EMC99, I surely did notice Ratbeard's yar. I just wanted to get his actual thoughts on it-- pros/cons, if it were even doable within the gaming mechanics, if it would make sense based upon future content and additions to the game.

A simple yar doesn't really indicate what someone thinks about an idea or post, it might just mean- 'nice idea but we can't implement it' or 'we appreciate your feedback' or 'I like where you are going and maybe we can look into something like that' or 'it's a good idea but it's too early to tell if it will fit into the grand scheme of where the game is headed'. There's a huge difference between yarring a post and providing feedback on a post and idea. I was just curious as to his actual thoughts and whether it was something that sounded possible. Ratbeard, being the developer can yar 1537 posts of ideas, I still would really want to read 1537 posts of his stating why he yarred it....I mean he is a rather important figure in the whole game development process, after all. So, of course I noticed it and in fact noticing the yar is what prompted me to post and inquire, in the first place. When a developer yars something I tend to want to know more about what's behind the yar.

And I also think that it does make sense for a task that brings in Energy to be called something like Pet Trainin'. I mean the Energy is what we use to train the pets....without the Energy, there is no trainin'. The snacks bring in XP alongside the training events themselves, so as far as XP goes- we kind of have that covered. There's already a task bringing in XP, it just comes in the form of snacks-- from Pet Wranglin'. Currently there is no way to bring in Energy besides waiting out the timer and choosing to refill the energy via Crowns. In my opinion, since the energy currently is what is used to actually train the pets, then it currently would make sense for a task bringing in Energy to be called something like Pet Trainin'. Training pets is what you'll be doing with the Energy you get back from it.....currently, as more Energy related content was hinted at.(By George, this probing thing does kind of work)

As Ratbeard noted (and Ratbeard I do thank you for the reply....sarrrrrrcasm and all), Energy will be used for more things in the future but the original poster may not have been aware of that, and seeing that right now Energy is only used for training pets, probably thought Pet Trainin' sounded pretty on point and I am inclined to agree.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ratbeard on Oct 3, 2014 wrote:
Well... I did Yar it.

It's very thorough and well thought through, and we could probably do something like that... but we'd have to carefully review whether or not we want to. We have all those timers for a reason.

Thanks for the info Ratbeard and I'm glad you mentioned the timers as I absolutely wasn't even thinking about how they would possibly be affected or if something like this would interfere with them. Also that's pretty exciting to hear that Energy will have future, additional uses for our pirates. I just have one request with the possible new Energy content-- every time the Energy reaches full, you've just gotta let El Kaboing put in that Information Society song.......Pure Energy.....Pure Energy.....I wanna know what you're thinking......tell me what's on your mind.....Pure Energy!

Can't wait to see what the future of the Spiral holds for us. Everything with the recent updates has been far above and beyond what many of us expected or hoped for and to know how hard you all at KI are working to make the game even that much better, amazing and more full of depth......makes the anticipation, admiration and appreciation that much greater!

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
Well... I did Yar it.

You Beat me to it. If only my post was reviewed quicker.

Ensign
Mar 18, 2011
Well... I did Yar it.

Ratbeard are you saying we are going to have somthing like gardens in game