Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Nuzlocke in Pirate101- The Quest of Sergio

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 03, 2010
A nuzlocke is a Pokemon play style built off of one concept- when a Pokemon faints, you can never bring it back. It is gone forever. I wondered what would happen if I did the same thing on Pirate 101- because I can.

My rules were this-
1. When a companion or pet reaches zero hit points, I will put it on task, and keep it there for all eternity.
2. The Hydra battle is exempt. Anyone who dies there can come back.
3. I will recieve no assistance, except to open multi-lock chests and with the Hydra.
4. Class is optional
5. I may not buy any character in the crown shop.
6. I cannot use items collected by other characters- essentially, if I have a super nice robe I got on my main toon, than I am not allowed to trade it too my nuzlocke run.
7. Not all side quests have to be completed- but they certainly can be.

So, I've been recording my nuzlocke so far- I just completed Book 2. If anyone is interested in learning of my Witchdoctor Silver Sergio Silver's magical adventure through the Spiral (Who died and how) and what I used for each boss battle and epics my characters recieved. Plus, if you want to give it a shot, tell me how it goes! I'm excited to see how people like my little game.

PRAISE CTHULU
Crazy Cody- Lv 65

Lieutenant
Sep 10, 2009
I actually thought up a Pirate101 nuzlocke a few months ago and attempted to do it. It was throughout the entire game up to Mooshu, but I had a few changes.

1. I could use a mojo potion, but you could use it only once per world. Revived companions would be put to sleep (but in this case I guess a task).

2. You could have multiplayer help, but only in the hard dungeons and hard boss fights (Miranda, Khotan, Gortez, Deacon, etc.)

Remember in a Pokemon Nuzlocke you could use pokemon centers, but they are very limited. And you could not use items, so no items/doubloons if you want to go hard core.

Ensign
Apr 05, 2014
DaMiniTroll on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:
A nuzlocke is a Pokemon play style built off of one concept- when a Pokemon faints, you can never bring it back. It is gone forever. I wondered what would happen if I did the same thing on Pirate 101- because I can.

My rules were this-
1. When a companion or pet reaches zero hit points, I will put it on task, and keep it there for all eternity.
3. I will recieve no assistance, except to open multi-lock chests and with the Hydra.
4. Class is optional
6. I cannot use items collected by other characters- essentially, if I have a super nice robe I got on my main toon, than I am not allowed to trade it too my nuzlocke run.

So, I've been recording my nuzlocke so far- I just completed Book 2. If anyone is interested in learning of my Witchdoctor Silver Sergio Silver's magical adventure through the Spiral (Who died and how) and what I used for each boss battle and epics my characters recieved. Plus, if you want to give it a shot, tell me how it goes! I'm excited to see how people like my little game.

PRAISE CTHULU
Crazy Cody- Lv 65
i'll try it with a second P.S PRAISE CTHULU

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Impressive! However, I don't really want to start a new character. I'm already WAY too used to my musketeer. I am now at 88 companions, (just bought the weasel gambler, Uga Buga, and Dan Drake.) and I like using all of them. I've never really liked Nuzlockes. Because I may get a companion who I really like that gets KOed, and then I end up crying for days. With Pokémon, I may get a Legendary Pokémon or even a Shiny Pokémon that faints, and then I do what I just said before. However, with both Pokémon and Pirate101, I follow my 2 favorite phrases.

For Pokémon: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

For Pirate 101: Gotta Recruit 'Em All!

Ensign
May 03, 2010
@Richard Ashthorn
I had forgotten about the items rule... personally, I haven't used any doubloons except on major battles- I use those instead of multi-player battles. Personally, I've been able to fight every boss during the game on my way through the first time without loosing someone on every battle except the Hydra- every battle is possible for total survival (except the Hydra). I think I'll pick up the doubloon rule though- though I like the extra heals from my Floating Dutchman Charm a little bit too much.

@Warriorscreed
Sometimes, I close my eyes and imagine I have enough crowns to get really cool companions on all my characters. Than I realize I struggle to keep my monthly subscription, but I like the game too much.
Have fun with training tomes and your world record!
And I did cry, my friend.

As an update to what happened, since it seems I'm not alone in my like of difficult game styles, fighting Chumba Wumba led to the death of Carcarius Grimtooth- a super hit did 200 damage and killed him in one fell swoop. Rest in piece, my dear friend. I forsee a much quieter ship, though.

PRAISE CTHULU
Crazy Cody, Level 65

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
DaMiniTroll on Jul 2, 2014 wrote:
@Richard Ashthorn
I had forgotten about the items rule... personally, I haven't used any doubloons except on major battles- I use those instead of multi-player battles. Personally, I've been able to fight every boss during the game on my way through the first time without loosing someone on every battle except the Hydra- every battle is possible for total survival (except the Hydra). I think I'll pick up the doubloon rule though- though I like the extra heals from my Floating Dutchman Charm a little bit too much.

@Warriorscreed
Sometimes, I close my eyes and imagine I have enough crowns to get really cool companions on all my characters. Than I realize I struggle to keep my monthly subscription, but I like the game too much.
Have fun with training tomes and your world record!
And I did cry, my friend.

As an update to what happened, since it seems I'm not alone in my like of difficult game styles, fighting Chumba Wumba led to the death of Carcarius Grimtooth- a super hit did 200 damage and killed him in one fell swoop. Rest in piece, my dear friend. I forsee a much quieter ship, though.

PRAISE CTHULU
Crazy Cody, Level 65
I don't think I hold a world record for most companions.....YET. And that must really be bad, losing a powerful hitter like Carcarius Grimtooth. He forms a good cornerstone for a Witchdoctor team. Just put him on pet wrangling or plundering, and he'll help in his own way! Keep us updated! I like anything that stems off from Pokémon, so keep me updated!

Administrator
I love seeing player-made challenges like this by the way!

Keep us informed on how you do.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Captain
Oct 15, 2012
actually,i already made a nuzlocke,im alright with you doing one,but mind if you add my rules as well?
rule 1:only one side-companion/crown shop companion per landing on an island meaning that you can only get/buy one companion once you land in a diffrient area.
rule 2:no healing except for red yum-yum fruit
rule 3:all wounded companion's are considered DEAD and can not be healed at a life fountain/blue potion/etc(as for talking companion's dying pretend it's there ghost)
rule 4:(sorry non-member's but)member's only or people who are rich as heck with crowns of swagness.
rule 5:criticals must be used every five turns unless you run out.
rule 6:companion's nor the pirate shall have higher level's than the next dungeon's main enemy for example if the main boss of the next battle(aka the next epic battle) is level 50 than your max. lv shall only be 50.
until you are 4 dungeon's away from the current final boss than you can be whatever level you want.
just wanted to tell you.

Ensign
May 03, 2010
Well, I've now had my second death, and probably my saddest unless El Toro dies later in game.

I was fighting JoJo MoJo, and a family member was watching Star Trek: Voyager in the background. Distracted, I didn't keep ahead of the battle, and Kan Po got low on hit points. He had 100 remaining, and JoJo was at full with a undead monkey at 130. So, I put everyone on the undead monkey- four characters should be enough, right? As luck would have it, no. They all hit Kan Po again and the monkey got a relentless.

In addition, it should be noticed no one, the entire battle, attacked anyone but Kan Po- even after Kan Po's death (Kan Po is my first mate on my main witchdoctor, to give you an idea of how many tears this death has) JoJo just ran around. Literally did nothing- they didn't recognize anyone's existence but Kan Po.

Also, on vacation for a week- I will return.

Rest in piece Kan Po- I will never forget you, from escaping Deacon's ship to fighting Gortez. Rest, my friend, and dream of MooShu.

PRIASE CTHULU
Crazy Cody, Lvl 65

NEVER FORGET- 7/3/14, KAN PO- NEVER FORGET

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
DaMiniTroll on Jul 4, 2014 wrote:
Well, I've now had my second death, and probably my saddest unless El Toro dies later in game.

I was fighting JoJo MoJo, and a family member was watching Star Trek: Voyager in the background. Distracted, I didn't keep ahead of the battle, and Kan Po got low on hit points. He had 100 remaining, and JoJo was at full with a undead monkey at 130. So, I put everyone on the undead monkey- four characters should be enough, right? As luck would have it, no. They all hit Kan Po again and the monkey got a relentless.

In addition, it should be noticed no one, the entire battle, attacked anyone but Kan Po- even after Kan Po's death (Kan Po is my first mate on my main witchdoctor, to give you an idea of how many tears this death has) JoJo just ran around. Literally did nothing- they didn't recognize anyone's existence but Kan Po.

Rest in piece Kan Po- I will never forget you, from escaping Deacon's ship to fighting Gortez. Rest, my friend, and dream of MooShu.

PRIASE CTHULU
Crazy Cody, Lvl 65

Dang. Kan Po and his crown counterpart are extremely powerful.....that must have been one heck of a blow.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Wow, sounds like you're having a tough time. Good luck, and may Kan Po rest in peace.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
This is very interesting, but I don't understand why you want to cripple yourself like that. It would be like me. tying a hand behind my back and hopping on one foot, while I tried to fight off the bad guys! But everyone one plays their own style and dream.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
anecorbie on Jul 5, 2014 wrote:
This is very interesting, but I don't understand why you want to cripple yourself like that. It would be like me. tying a hand behind my back and hopping on one foot, while I tried to fight off the bad guys! But everyone one plays their own style and dream.
It is to provide an extra challenge, and things get really fun when they are challenging

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DaMiniTroll on Jul 4, 2014 wrote:

PRIASE CTHULU
Crazy Cody, Lvl 65

But what about promotions? Does a 'nuzlocke' get to 'come back' to be promoted?

Captain
Oct 15, 2012

My rules were this-
4. Class is optional

PRAISE CTHULU
Crazy Cody- Lv 65
6.Main toon? this isnt toontown.

Ensign
Oct 20, 2012

My rules were this-
4. Class is optional

PRAISE CTHULU
Crazy Cody- Lv 65
This sounds like great fun and I accept your challenge! I have started a musketeer named Dark Angel for this challenge and will also post updates on your thread. Luck to you!!

Questions tho ...
Can I still raise the level of companions/pets who have died and have been put on task?
Dark Angel - Level 5 right now

Ensign
Oct 20, 2012
Ouch already ! So I am only level 6 and just had 2 deaths in Doyle's shack! Louis Le Bisque went down as all 4 in the shack went around his trap and all hit him .... then Wing Chun went down on a 94 point riposte from a swashbuckler he missed .... Arg!

So now I have a problem to stick with the challenge ... I am not high enough level yet to put companions on task ... best I can do is switch to having companions "in order" in the options menu, but that still means 1 of my 2 "dead" will show up in battles. Not sure how else to keep them out of the battles.

Dark Angel - Level 6

Ensign
May 03, 2010
Sorry for that disappearance- you don't play much pirate101 on vacation, I find. Time to respond to ALL THE POSTS.

I say main toon because that's what my guild in World of Warcraft calls our characters- toons. Our palidan toon, ranger toon, etc. So it's just what I do.

And yeah, Kan Po dying really was unfortunate- especially since I could have prevented it on my part. However, there are plenty of really powerful companions in the game- Bonnie Anne, Milo, El Toro (deep in the future), and many more that can serve.

I like crippling myself a little because it's a new way to play- I have two max level characters already- Crazy Cody, my witchdoctor and Cowardly Corwin Collins, my buccaneer. I'm playing my swashbuckler with two other swashbucklers, so that's a unique play style, and I play my musketteer with a buccaneer of the same level- fighting everything with two or three people really changes up the style- sometimes it's easier, sometimes harder. So, while raising my privateer in the classic way, I realized that a nuzlocke is now very doable with the tasking. I decided to give it a go.

And Black Talon- that's really a bummer. So, here's this version of Nuzlocke's rule for under level 8. And though you can raise the level of companions on task, I don't know why you'd promote them- you can't promote dead companions, as it untasks them to put them in the battle. Leveling however, could be a wise idea.

8. If you loose companions to where you do not have a full team of four before they can become level 8, than it counts as loosing all your companions, and you've lost the nuzlocke run- but it won't take long to go back to where you were!
9. Loosing a nuzlocke is a simple matter- if all your companions are dead, you've lost- you have to have at least a first mate at all times.

Good luck to everyone trying my challenge- I'm just about to enter Diablo's cut, myself- no more deaths, thank goodness.

PRAISE CTHULU
Crazy Cody, Lvl 65

Ensign
May 03, 2010
As an update on my playing today, I made it to Cool Ranch and have just saved Nurse Quinn, when bad luck struck yet again. One the second turn, all the bison warriors and hunters decided Old Scratch was the source of all their problems, and attacked. SUPER HIT SUPER HIT SUPER HIT MEGA HIT DEAD. Nothing I could do.

You know, I have not been very lucky on this character. I've been able to avoid tons of other deaths, but I always end up losing companions in one turn, with me powerless to stop it. Oh, well. I'm not a big Old Scratch fan, so that's good. The worst death still remains the only one I could have prevented, Kan Po. With any luck, I'll stop losing people at such a brisk rate.

PRAISE CTHULU
Crazy Cody, Lvl 65

Ensign
May 03, 2010
More updates, for anyone who's still listening to my rambling.

I've just made it to helping the Big Sky Hunters- and there hasn't been another death yet, though there was a battle where Milo Graytail reached 2 hit points, Bonnie Anne reached 15 hit points, and I had died. I ended up using flee, which seemed to be a good choice. As a forewarning to anyone doing this, hold on some of the later Rooster Cogburn quests for a little bit longer- I forgot exactly how much the difficultly spiked.

PRAISE CTHULU
Crazy Cody, Lvl 65

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Interesting reading. Good luck!

-Indigo

Ensign
May 03, 2010
All work and no play makes Minitroll a dull boy.

I've been working SO MUCH recently- 55 hour weeks, 30 on site, 25 at home on average. Really cuts into my life time- but I've gotten in a little playing, and finally hit level 30 on Sergio, working towards finding the Scurvy Dogs (So... many... ships...)

However, the striped bumbaloons weren't easy to get past- my scorpion, scorpius, attacked the bumbaloon to get a vengence super hit in response. The bumbaloon then attacked again, with another super hit. Each hit did 330-350, which ate away Scorpius' remaining 600 hit points. Goodbye, my friend. May you rest well with whatever happens to Scorpions when they die.

PRIASE CTHULU
Crazy Cody, Lvl 65

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
Sarah Steele fell to a skeleton pirate in Hoodoo House on my swash, Two-Faced Felix Alcott... She was my second-best companion!

Ensign
May 03, 2010
Well- my nuzlocke is doing wonderfully- I've made it into Tumbleweed, and I just convinced Bat Masterson to join back up with the Magnificent Seven.

However, I'm in contact with Black Talon (who was on the thread a little bit, and he's also trying the nuzlocke run). He had made it to Santo Pollo with no deaths, but he attacked the sky snakes in Santa Pollo a little too early, and ended up with a total party kill. He lost his first mate, Bonnie, Birgus, and the Bison Scout. He kept playing, and got unlucky with a boss, loosing Chantal, and bringing him to six companions. But his bad luck didn't stop there- he got unlucky fighting the Duck of the Death for the first time, and lost Louie, Scratch, and Romba. He's still working on the Big Sky Hunters questline, with now only Wing Chun, Ridolfo Capoferro, and Joe Cartwright (Chicken Ranger).

Normally, I only give updates on myself, but my update was really boring, and Black Talon's quest has been much more intense.

PRAISE CTHULU
Crazy Cody, Lvl 65

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
DaMiniTroll on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
Well- my nuzlocke is doing wonderfully- I've made it into Tumbleweed, and I just convinced Bat Masterson to join back up with the Magnificent Seven.

However, I'm in contact with Black Talon (who was on the thread a little bit, and he's also trying the nuzlocke run). He had made it to Santo Pollo with no deaths, but he attacked the sky snakes in Santa Pollo a little too early, and ended up with a total party kill. He lost his first mate, Bonnie, Birgus, and the Bison Scout. He kept playing, and got unlucky with a boss, loosing Chantal, and bringing him to six companions. But his bad luck didn't stop there- he got unlucky fighting the Duck of the Death for the first time, and lost Louie, Scratch, and Romba. He's still working on the Big Sky Hunters questline, with now only Wing Chun, Ridolfo Capoferro, and Joe Cartwright (Chicken Ranger).

Normally, I only give updates on myself, but my update was really boring, and Black Talon's quest has been much more intense.

PRAISE CTHULU
Crazy Cody, Lvl 65
Wow,i can't believe that...

I know i hadn't pitched into this before,it's not a lack of interest,it's just that this kind of thing kinda scares me.
I mean,it's very hard.I admire you for your guts,guile and grit,pushing all the way to Tumbleweed without a single death,wow.

Anyways,this also happens to be my 200th post,so yeah,yippe!

You sir are very brave.And as another person who likes Lovecraftian literature,
PRAISE CTHULU