Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Child Friendly

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jul 26, 2011
What frustrates me is that the only thing people say on this forum is that the violence in the game is not horrible and how your sister is unreasonable ( with exceptions of valkoor and Chrissy, of course )

I agree

But rather than bash people I would suggest that you show her the Pirate101 review on the Common Sense Media website it might help explain the game to her

It is probably more efficient to continue to try to convince her rather than begging for features

Good Luck!

Ensign
Jan 06, 2014
GoldRoseKnight on Jun 7, 2014 wrote:
What frustrates me is that the only thing people say on this forum is that the violence in the game is not horrible and how your sister is unreasonable ( with exceptions of valkoor and Chrissy, of course )

I agree

But rather than bash people I would suggest that you show her the Pirate101 review on the Common Sense Media website it might help explain the game to her

It is probably more efficient to continue to try to convince her rather than begging for features

Good Luck!
I wasn't begging for features. Just suggesting a change that might be able to be made.

Again, I apologize for any bashing that may have happened.

I never heard about the Common Sense Media site, so thank you for that suggestion.

Glad KI listens to suggestions!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Brinckmyster on Jun 8, 2014 wrote:
I wasn't begging for features. Just suggesting a change that might be able to be made.

I never heard about the Common Sense Media site, so thank you for that suggestion.

Yea I hadn't heard of them either. Great link. Thank you.
No worries at all nor any hard feelings. All opinions are welcome here.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
I've been staying out of this for awhile, but I've noticed that most people seem to be disagreeing with Brinkmyster.
Now, I don't have young kids yet, but I do have a young nephew who I would love to be able to play pirates with. However he's at an age where if you sat him down in front of a computer, he'd probably try to eat the keyboard.

But I do like Brinkmyster's idea of the crossed sword display covering the fighting or animations during battle scenes. As long as it's an optional feature that can be turned off. Of all the many many features I see people ask to be added to the game, this is one that actually makes sense.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
CdeWinter on Jun 9, 2014 wrote:
I've been staying out of this for awhile, but I've noticed that most people seem to be disagreeing with Brinkmyster.
Now, I don't have young kids yet, but I do have a young nephew who I would love to be able to play pirates with. However he's at an age where if you sat him down in front of a computer, he'd probably try to eat the keyboard.

But I do like Brinkmyster's idea of the crossed sword display covering the fighting or animations during battle scenes. As long as it's an optional feature that can be turned off. Of all the many many features I see people ask to be added to the game, this is one that actually makes sense.
I am one of those that does not disagree & thinks that, if done without affecting current P101 gameplay- then go for it.

But I would like to add another perspective. Sometimes in the business world you come up with a conceptual dream & you know exactly what audience you wish to receive this dream. Now, I have no idea if the 10+ rating is what KI originally intended or if it was something they settled on. But we all should keep in mind or consider that perhaps the current level of very mild violence & content is exactly what KI dreamt of & envisioned when beginning the creative process. Every product is designed to reach a certain audience- perhaps P101 is currently reaching KI's intended & hoped for audience.

From a business perspective & for bringing more kids to the game, it makes perfect sense, to a degree- compromise & you increase revenue & profits & broaden your audience. But, from a creativity aspect it may not only not make sense, but may also compromise what KI had envisioned when dreaming up the game. Sure, KI may bring more younger kids on board with the crossed swords & increase profits, but will it be at any costs creatively to their dream?

Again, I have no idea if P101 is currently being played by the audience KI had intended but I do think we should at least respect the possibility that they may have never intended it to be for kids under the age of 10 & therefore would not have to compromise their dream & "cover up" the very mild cartoon violence that is currently in the game.

I am a co-owner of a construction company (A father & son, dynamic duo of sorts) so I know what it's like to create something that means so much to you & is presented just the way you envisioned it. I also know what it's like when you are asked to compromise your work so it appeals more to others. Yes I know, the Customer is always right- but that doesn't mean that it doesn't sting when you see your vision altered. I also would surely sacrifice extra profit if it meant that my work held up to the dream that I had when I began creating it. Most are in the business of business to make as much money as possible, but some are in it to make a comfortable living while keeping up the creative integrity of the products they produce, even if it doesn't reach as many people. The realization of a dream can sometimes be much more valuable than selling to more people.

I liken KI to an artist that has dreamt up & created the most amazing work of his/her existence. The finished product is just as they had envisioned it....a true masterpiece to be enjoyed by the artist's intended audience. Then someone says, your masterpiece could be more profitable & reach more people if you compromise & alter your dream. At some point it will no longer be the artist's masterpiece.

I just think that before we say it makes sense we should at least consider if this is what KI ever wanted and if it would compromise the integrity & dreams of their own masterpiece.

Gunner's Mate
Jul 08, 2013
Brinckmyster on May 27, 2014 wrote:
There are so many ways to do this that could work. My sister and a friend of mine who does play it have thought through those issues. Justifying the hitting only makes it worse. That would give my nieces and nephews a reason to justify hitting each other! I have never seen a fight where you couldn't take the actual hitting part out and have a problem, and I have two characters that are level 65! In fact, my level 65 witchdoctor has earned every badge that there is available so far.

Really, the main problem she has with it is that they SHOW the characters hitting each other with the sword/gun/staff (or whatever they have equipped). There is a game that she plays where it just shows two swords crossed during the battle. Or, a glitch happened the other day where we only saw the side of the ship. Something like that would be just as useful. No need to see the actual fighting - but you are still waiting for the animations to happen and can still see the "important messages" that may show during the battle.

I promise that there are many ways to do this that would work and make this game much more kid friendly (and therefore have more people playing it). Plus, if this did eventually happen, I would be much more likely to use my disposable income (when I have any) here in order to support KI's stance on child-friendly games.
i understand you completely this is coming from a kid anyway maybe they can fake fight? or pretend ( i have OCD so sometimes i wave my arms to the el toro moves ) or maybe they could pretend playing pirate101 outside and pretend there hitting the bad guys i hope this helps!

Petty Officer
Jul 26, 2011
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jun 9, 2014 wrote:
I am one of those that does not disagree & thinks that, if done without affecting current P101 gameplay- then go for it.

But I would like to add another perspective. Sometimes in the business world you come up with a conceptual dream & you know exactly what audience you wish to receive this dream. Now, I have no idea if the 10+ rating is what KI originally intended or if it was something they settled on. But we all should keep in mind or consider that perhaps the current level of very mild violence & content is exactly what KI dreamt of & envisioned when beginning the creative process. Every product is designed to reach a certain audience- perhaps P101 is currently reaching KI's intended & hoped for audience.

From a business perspective & for bringing more kids to the game, it makes perfect sense, to a degree- compromise & you increase revenue & profits & broaden your audience. But, from a creativity aspect it may not only not make sense, but may also compromise what KI had envisioned when dreaming up the game. Sure, KI may bring more younger kids on board with the crossed swords & increase profits, but will it be at any costs creatively to their dream?

Again, I have no idea if P101 is currently being played by the audience KI had intended but I do think we should at least respect the possibility that they may have never intended it to be for kids under the age of 10 & therefore would not have to compromise their dream & "cover up" the very mild cartoon violence that is currently in the game.

I am a co-owner of a construction company (A father & son, dynamic duo of sorts) so I know what it's like to create something that means so much to you & is presented just the way you envisioned it. I also know what it's like when you are asked to compromise your work so it appeals more to others. Yes I know, the Customer is always right- but that doesn't mean that it doesn't sting when you see your vision altered. I also would surely sacrifice extra profit if it meant that my work held up to the dream that I had when I began creating it. Most are in the business of business to make as much money as possible, but some are in it to make a comfortable living while keeping up the creative integrity of the products they produce, even if it doesn't reach as many people. The realization of a dream can sometimes be much more valuable than selling to more people.

I liken KI to an artist that has dreamt up & created the most amazing work of his/her existence. The finished product is just as they had envisioned it....a true masterpiece to be enjoyed by the artist's intended audience. Then someone says, your masterpiece could be more profitable & reach more people if you compromise & alter your dream. At some point it will no longer be the artist's masterpiece.

I just think that before we say it makes sense we should at least consider if this is what KI ever wanted and if it would compromise the integrity & dreams of their own masterpiece.
Wow Valkoor, you always manage to raise the bar a little higher. Masterfully said.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 10, 2014 wrote:
Wow Valkoor, you always manage to raise the bar a little higher. Masterfully said.
Thank you Chrissy

I like, and try, to look at discussions/issues from all perspectives and angles. Even if I am the one with the issue or concern, I do at least try to think about how everything effects all parties involved. Who knows, KI may end up wanting these changes so that even younger kids can play, but I just wanted to throw out another possible viewpoint to consider. Some products and games are made with a certain envisioned audience in order to hold true to the developers/artists vision and dream- perhaps that's the case here and perhaps it is not. I certainly can't speak (or write) on behalf of them and their wishes and/or intentions, but we can at least bring all of the perspectives to the surface for others to consider.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Brinckmyster on Jun 8, 2014 wrote:

Brinckmyster, you bring up a good point about children and games. I have kids myself (the player of course, not the lively young pirate), and raising them I have been strongly influenced by the Waldorf philosophy of education, which focuses on a lot of oral learning (telling and listening to stories), imaginative play, music and dance, learning to work with your hands and develop skills (eg. knitting, woodworking) as well as the academic skills children are expected to learn. Now, this may seem bizarre in this day and age, but these goals are enhanced by severely limiting exposure to TV, computer, and video games until the child is about 9 years old -- in concert with what is happening in physical and brain development in early and middle childhood. I didn't want to have TV etc. seen as the forbidden fruit, so we did play some computer/video games (and for years they had no idea there was another TV channel than PBS), but blocks, dolls, stuffed animals, dancing around in improvised ballet costumes, etc. were the major play.

So for very little children, I would be playing Pirate (or other computer games) when the little ones were asleep (the only time I would have anyway ). However, Valkoor has eloquently expressed the value of playing Pirate101 with a child who is entering middle childhood, and I must agree. Those happy times playing together - whether playing tea party, board games, or Pirate101 - strengthen and deepen the bond between parent and child.

Then there is the question of violent themes. As children grow older, even if they don't hear the 6pm news, they become aware that the world is a dangerous place, and their own dangerous emotions (anger, jealousy, etc.) are a part of it. Folk and fairy tales from all over the world speak eloquently to that sense, and encourage a global understanding, sympathy, and a sense of justice. Mostly, these stories are more violent than anything on Pirate101. Telling the story of Snow White to my very sensitive first grader, I modified the horrific end of the villain and just had the evil queen die of a fit of rage. My child was thoughtful for a moment. "Did she really die then?" Upon receiving the affirmative, she replied "That's good. She deserved to." This comment from a very gentle child only emphasizes the sense of justice that children need and respond to.

As children get older, myths and folk tales can be told that are more complex and even somber (like the Norse myths, which in Waldorf education are introduced to 9-10 year olds). This is the beginning age group for which Pirate101 is encouraged, where the complexity of the themes of Pirate101 fit beautifully. In addition, as hopefully children of this age and older are introduced to Greek & Roman myths, the Norse myths, tales of many lands, as they play Pirate101 (or Wizard101) they get a sense of connection, of hey! I know that story! and thus enjoy the playful spinoff more than ever, having gained an appreciation for the original.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jun 9, 2014 wrote:

I agree with your point of view completely Valkour. I do strongly believe that it is better to educate young children on what is right and wrong behaviour rather than simply sheltering them from the outside world. I mean I do live in the country that invented hockey, and I understood from a very young age that simply because I see a favourite player "drop his gloves" does not mean that fighting is an appropriate behaviour at school, or even at the rink.

I also believe that in many cases regarding behaviour and such, it's the parent's responsiblility to educate their children, and control what their children do see if needed. I don't think it's the responsibility of media, whatever the media is be it games or film to bend to every parent's wish.

I simply meant that of all the many many additions I have seen people suggest on these boards, Brinckmysters suggestion of the crossed swords display was among the most sensible and most useful suggestions I've so far seen.

Gunner's Mate
Jul 08, 2013
CdeWinter on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
I agree with your point of view completely Valkour. I do strongly believe that it is better to educate young children on what is right and wrong behaviour rather than simply sheltering them from the outside world. I mean I do live in the country that invented hockey, and I understood from a very young age that simply because I see a favourite player "drop his gloves" does not mean that fighting is an appropriate behaviour at school, or even at the rink.

I also believe that in many cases regarding behaviour and such, it's the parent's responsiblility to educate their children, and control what their children do see if needed. I don't think it's the responsibility of media, whatever the media is be it games or film to bend to every parent's wish.

I simply meant that of all the many many additions I have seen people suggest on these boards, Brinckmysters suggestion of the crossed swords display was among the most sensible and most useful suggestions I've so far seen.

Ensign
Jun 10, 2012
After reading a few of these i think I'm a only parent who has taught my daughter the difference between video games/movies(fantasy) and how to act in real life. She is 9 years old and loves playing video games with me (loves blowing up teddy bears and unicorns in Diablo 3).
I have taught her that violence is only okay in video games and movies and they are not real. She is very kind hearted when it comes to kids in school and other kids she meets at the park because i have taught her to be nice to other kids and hitting/yelling/ or making fun of other kids is not nice and i don't tolerate it if i see her doing it.
Her first movie we saw in theaters that was pg13 was sucker punch and she has learned the difference between games and real life. There is nothing wrong with this game or wizard 101 if u teach the kids the difference between real life and fantasy.
And one of her favorite things to do in games is player vs. player if there is an option.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Brinckmyster on May 27, 2014 wrote:
There are so many ways to do this that could work. My sister and a friend of mine who does play it have thought through those issues. Justifying the hitting only makes it worse. That would give my nieces and nephews a reason to justify hitting each other! I have never seen a fight where you couldn't take the actual hitting part out and have a problem, and I have two characters that are level 65! In fact, my level 65 witchdoctor has earned every badge that there is available so far.

Really, the main problem she has with it is that they SHOW the characters hitting each other with the sword/gun/staff (or whatever they have equipped). There is a game that she plays where it just shows two swords crossed during the battle. Or, a glitch happened the other day where we only saw the side of the ship. Something like that would be just as useful. No need to see the actual fighting - but you are still waiting for the animations to happen and can still see the "important messages" that may show during the battle.

I promise that there are many ways to do this that would work and make this game much more kid friendly (and therefore have more people playing it). Plus, if this did eventually happen, I would be much more likely to use my disposable income (when I have any) here in order to support KI's stance on child-friendly games.
I see your point, and I disagree with it. First of all, they specifically tell you in the tutorial that instead of bullets, the guns use little electric sparks to shock you into submission. I started this game when I was young, so I can assure you that, if anything, a small child will think that's pretty cool, not dangerous or influential. I, personally, hate war games, shooters, and anything about zombies. But I love Pirate101. It has war, guns, and zombies, or at least skeletons with magic. Not to mention that if you found a sword like ratbeard's in real life, you'd probably be the luckiest guy alive. But if you really are worried, just start them out on Wizard101. Although it has a slightly darker storyline, I've noticed that in the battle, nothing hits anything directly.

I don't want the sword slashes and gun shots to go away. I , mean, there's no blood, right?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lo, way back in the dark ages when I was a wee child, my sisters, brother and I watched cartoons which today would be not at all 'PC'. Yet we didn't act out the violence depicted; what we DID copy in pretend games was the violence on the live-action shows we watched. For example, grabbing a yardstick and a garbage can lid ( the old fashioned metal ones ) and whaling away at each other! I wonder how we escaped maiming... Any way just commenting that children know what's real and what's not. They're much smarter than adults give them credit for. Of course you can make it a rule that the first time little Suzzy or Johnny stage a buccaneer battle in the living room, then they lose the privalege of playing P101. 'Grounding' their pirates.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Hello!

Putting my two cents out there in case the developers are watching this thread to see if the community would support this idea or not and act accordingly.

I would have to say yes, as an optional feature this would be a good idea, but no necessarily for the same reasons.

Personally, I don't think that the violence depicted in this game is severe enough to censorship, however I applaud your sister for making the decision not to expose her children to it, since now a days it seems to me that fewer and fewer people are bothering to view media before their children and restrict access to inappropriate media, or even go so far as to, for example, play games such as the Assassin's Creed and GTA franchises in front of their children.

Seriously people, censor media your kids view until they are 15 years old!

However I would back this feature as optional for the same uses that I use this feature in the Pokemon series: Power levelling/ farming.

I usually play this same solo, and when I'm farming a boss, or I've noticed recently while waiting for a pet PVP match to begin I'll go off and continue quests. These instances would go along so much faster if instead of watching everyone run than attack, then drawn out epic hit animation x5, there was a quick graphic of the word "CRITICAL!", or Super/Mega/Epic! The crossing of the swords is a good idea I remember someone saying in this thread as well. For a K.O. scene, a graphic of a skull and crossbones would probably be appropriate, followed by the companion/mob disappearing from the board.

To close, I support this idea.