Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Zeena's Fire

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 06, 2014
Okay, Zeena is a way cool companion, but what is the deal with her fire hurting her friends too? No other fire hurts friend and foe alike. There are neutral fires (like an exploding barrel fire on ships), but usually, if one of my characters creates fire, it only hurts the foes!

Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
Brinckmyster on May 4, 2014 wrote:
Okay, Zeena is a way cool companion, but what is the deal with her fire hurting her friends too? No other fire hurts friend and foe alike. There are neutral fires (like an exploding barrel fire on ships), but usually, if one of my characters creates fire, it only hurts the foes!
Zeena's Fire gets fixed in the update where it works correctly as it should. So we just have to wait a little longer until she stops hurting her own crew.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
There fixing. That in the update here's the good and bad

Good
1 won't hurt you
2 you can still fire ontop of them

Bad
1 it's no longer Like normal fire which hurts them around but they have to step on it
The reason I hate that lat part is because my strategy with the fire is to put it around them and drain there health slowly away, plus they usually stay away from the fire so I want them to change that

-Jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
This was actually ok, but now in test realm her fires don't damage anyone until they step into it, and then they dissapear, making zeena a four range companion with nothing good about her . I don't understand why they nerfed her, i'd rather be hurt by her fires and have them deal damage each turn then have them deal damage once then dissapear.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Quinn Quincy, 38

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
It has been addressed. In the update notes and in test realm, her fire only damages enemies now and they have to actually walk into them to take damage.

Bosun
Oct 15, 2010
Currently, Zeena's "Rain of Fire" power spawns 5 fires in an X formation similar to those spawned on a ship from Fire tokens. These fires are not traps like other fires, including, but not limited to, those in The Big Guns and Artillery but instead hurt all units standing next to it.

In the upcoming update to Pirate101 (expected to be released this month,) these fires will no longer hurt friendly units, but the enemy has to step on the fire- not just stand next to it- to take damage.

Ensign
Jun 16, 2013
It's to balance it. As with most any other fire, which only deals damage to any enemies who walk on it, Zeena's fire deals damage anyone standing next to it. Which effectively cuts off an entire section of the arena. So, because of how many ways it can deal damage, in addition to how much damage it does deal, the balance comes from it dealing said damage to everyone, not just enemies.

The one real exception to this is Captain Blood's Ghost Fires, which only deal damage to enemies that're adjacent to it, but the balance here is that it only deals 50 set damage, regardless of target level, damage protection, stat buffs, etc. So the most that will deal to any single target is 150 damage when standing by 3 flames or 200 damage if the target runs right through it, which is still not much at all.

Especially considering Zeena's fire does approximately 150 damage per flame, depending on the target's Will stat. So if someone were to run straight through it, then you're looking in the ballpark of 600 about damage. that's a lot, I don't care who you are. Thus, it deals that much to BOTH sides.

Basically, in the case of Zeena, she's powerful, but at the cost of being a double-edged sword. Use her fire with caution and, to use it most effectively, very precise timing. Otherwise, someone will just put it out and carry on with their match, without a second thought.

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
I much preferred Zeena's fire the way it was originally. It made for an interesting change of pace, and let's face it - real fire doesn't distinguish between friend or foe! Besides you could cast it to surround an enemy archer and watch the points melt away!

Ki-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi!!

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Sam Underhill on May 6, 2014 wrote:
I much preferred Zeena's fire the way it was originally. It made for an interesting change of pace, and let's face it - real fire doesn't distinguish between friend or foe! Besides you could cast it to surround an enemy archer and watch the points melt away!

Ki-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi!!
I thought it was: Ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya! That zeena always says. Anyway, i agree, lol.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DeathWiz101378 on May 7, 2014 wrote:
I thought it was: Ya-ya-ya-ya-ya-ya! That zeena always says. Anyway, i agree, lol.
I always heard it as Sam does. That wild Amazonian yell.

Developer
DeathWiz101378 on May 4, 2014 wrote:
This was actually ok, but now in test realm her fires don't damage anyone until they step into it, and then they dissapear, making zeena a four range companion with nothing good about her . I don't understand why they nerfed her, i'd rather be hurt by her fires and have them deal damage each turn then have them deal damage once then dissapear.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Quinn Quincy, 38
I don't understand why they nerfed her

Because her fire, as it existed, was a bug, and I'm not a fan of leaving bugs in the game, no matter how popular they prove to be.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Ratbeard on May 8, 2014 wrote:
I don't understand why they nerfed her

Because her fire, as it existed, was a bug, and I'm not a fan of leaving bugs in the game, no matter how popular they prove to be.
So they were meant to be traps all along? I assumed they were acting normally since fires in nautical combat activate as soon as you step next to them or every end of turn. Are those fires bugs too?