Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Songs that apply to P101?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
May 14, 2010
Good day! I have yum-flavored whoopie pies! Woot!

I was thinking....(On a Saturday too. Wow!) Are there any songs that you've heard recently that make you think of pirates?

Mine would be Steady As She Goes by Sky Sailing, ironically. (For those of you who like Owl City, Sky Sailing was a side project of his.)

So post your thoughts hear! (Pun intended)

It's been real!

-O.R

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Oooh, Olivia, there are so many! There's so many circa 18th C. songs that would fit right in (and earlier ones for Valencia and Monquista... and 19th C. folk songs added in for Cool Ranch and Marleybone) A few that come to mind:
'Henry Martin' ("There were three brothers in merry Scotland/In merry Scotland there were three/And they did cast lots to see who would go, would go/For to turn pirate upon the salt sea" at least that's how my memory recalls the first verse)

'Captain Kidd' ("My name was Robert Kidd, as I sailed, as I sailed/O my name was Robert Kidd as I sailed/ My name was Robert Kidd, God's Laws I did forbid/ most wickedly I did, as I sailed" Ok, his name was William Kidd, but that's how this 18th C. American version goes)

'The Downfall of Piracy' -- about the final battle of Edward Teach (Blackbeard), and written -- get this -- by a 13 year old Benjamin Franklin!

And then there's just songs of the period I particularly like and would fit in casually, like "Barbara Allen", "The Broom of Cowdenknowes" [a very pretty tune], "Over the Hills and Far Away" [great 'top-40' song of the 18th C.!], "Nancy Dawson"... and more! Yes, Pirate101 fits quite well with my head that is happily stuffed with archaic songs and music.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 9, 2013 wrote:
Oooh, Olivia, there are so many! There's so many circa 18th C. songs that would fit right in (and earlier ones for Valencia and Monquista... and 19th C. folk songs added in for Cool Ranch and Marleybone) A few that come to mind:
'Henry Martin' ("There were three brothers in merry Scotland/In merry Scotland there were three/And they did cast lots to see who would go, would go/For to turn pirate upon the salt sea" at least that's how my memory recalls the first verse)

'Captain Kidd' ("My name was Robert Kidd, as I sailed, as I sailed/O my name was Robert Kidd as I sailed/ My name was Robert Kidd, God's Laws I did forbid/ most wickedly I did, as I sailed" Ok, his name was William Kidd, but that's how this 18th C. American version goes)

'The Downfall of Piracy' -- about the final battle of Edward Teach (Blackbeard), and written -- get this -- by a 13 year old Benjamin Franklin!

And then there's just songs of the period I particularly like and would fit in casually, like "Barbara Allen", "The Broom of Cowdenknowes" [a very pretty tune], "Over the Hills and Far Away" [great 'top-40' song of the 18th C.!], "Nancy Dawson"... and more! Yes, Pirate101 fits quite well with my head that is happily stuffed with archaic songs and music.
Great Big Sea from Newfoundland plays a more Scottish version of Captain Kidd (although modernised a bit) where the lyrics use William Kidd, not Robert Kidd.

A couple of other songs are;

My personal favourite, 'Maid on the Shore' -- about a young girl who gets kidnapped by pirates but ends up turning the table on them and stealing all of their gold.

Over the sea to Skye, not actually about pirating, just a voyage to the Island of Skye.

Jack White -- a fast little song about drinking rum. (yum?)

The old Black Rum -- a local Newfie song, pretty obvious as to what it's about.

I actually have a long playlist of piraty/sailing themed songs that I listen to while I play Pirate101.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
I just remembered, "Red Admiral Butterfly" it doesn't actually have anything to do with pirates or sailing, it's just an old instrumental piece inspired by a butterfly, but it does have Admiral in the name.

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
Emerson, Lake & Palmer have the lengthy opus actually called Pirates on their Works Vol 1 album.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
YO HO! YO HO! A Pirates Life for Me!

Yeah, you know where That came from.

But aside from that, I find Shiver My Timbers from Muppet Treasure Island, Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Yum, and, of course, A Pirate's Life for Me.

Sincerely,

Impish Omar Underwood

P.S. I love the variety we have here. I just wanted to throw in some obvious ones.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
The Undead Obeah on Sep 10, 2013 wrote:
YO HO! YO HO! A Pirates Life for Me!

Yeah, you know where That came from.

But aside from that, I find Shiver My Timbers from Muppet Treasure Island, Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Yum, and, of course, A Pirate's Life for Me.

Sincerely,

Impish Omar Underwood

P.S. I love the variety we have here. I just wanted to throw in some obvious ones.
Oh, indeed Omar, and how could I forget all the songs from the Pirates of Penzance! (Because my brain was back in the 18th C., I suppose ). For yes, "it is, it is a glorious thing to be a Pirate King!"

chorus response: "Hurrah for the Pirate King!"

Hahaha!

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 12, 2013 wrote:
Oh, indeed Omar, and how could I forget all the songs from the Pirates of Penzance! (Because my brain was back in the 18th C., I suppose ). For yes, "it is, it is a glorious thing to be a Pirate King!"

chorus response: "Hurrah for the Pirate King!"

Hahaha!

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Oh how could we forget?! Port Regal is full of Pirates of Penzance references! In fact There is even the two men who wrote that comedy in Port Regal! Remember Savoy Mercantile?