Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Blade Storm 3 bug?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 04, 2010
So, I just got the blade storm upgrade to level 3 where the only difference listed is that it is now a bonus sneak attack x3 instead of just a bonus attack x3 (vs. level 2 blade storm). I don't see any discernible change over level 2. It appears to be just a normal hit like level 2 but I guess I was expecting a double damage hit like when I use the trained sneak attack card. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Developer
gtarhannon on Aug 11, 2013 wrote:
So, I just got the blade storm upgrade to level 3 where the only difference listed is that it is now a bonus sneak attack x3 instead of just a bonus attack x3 (vs. level 2 blade storm). I don't see any discernible change over level 2. It appears to be just a normal hit like level 2 but I guess I was expecting a double damage hit like when I use the trained sneak attack card. Am I missing something or is this a bug?
Basically, because Bladestorm 3 is a bonus attack against a random target, and the target "never even sees it coming."

Bladestorm 3:

1) ... won't trigger an interrupt response from certain epics (such as First Strike);

2) ... is much more likely to hit.

Keep in mind that some *other* Rank 3 epic talents grant the ability to intercept hidden attacks. The epic talents work in layers of increasing one-upmanship: effects followed by counter-effects followed by counter-counter and so on.

Ensign
Jun 04, 2010
Ratbeard on Aug 12, 2013 wrote:
Basically, because Bladestorm 3 is a bonus attack against a random target, and the target "never even sees it coming."

Bladestorm 3:

1) ... won't trigger an interrupt response from certain epics (such as First Strike);

2) ... is much more likely to hit.

Keep in mind that some *other* Rank 3 epic talents grant the ability to intercept hidden attacks. The epic talents work in layers of increasing one-upmanship: effects followed by counter-effects followed by counter-counter and so on.
I see. So the reduced damage (I've noticed its actually less than a normal hit after a lot more use since originally posting this) is a side-effect when balanced against the other factors listed and not a bug. I understand. If I may offer some constructive criticism on it... Its kind of a disappointing talent to receive at such a high level when balanced against how difficult it is to deal damage as a buccaneer. I am rarely in a situation where I can safely get it to trigger once in a round, let alone 3 times, so I guess I was hoping it was a double damage like the trained sneak attack I have. While I understand that the upgrade has improved the use of the talent, as a player it doesn't "feel" like anything has changed with it at all. Perhaps a bit of a skill re-order? Or will I like it better once I get to level 65 (reckless something or other) and should just be patient?

I will say that It does impress my son when I help him with lower level quests at least... :D