Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A Few Questions for the Developers

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 11, 2012
As I've noticed, the other post for this is already getting full... And I don't just have questions for Blind Mew alone...

Questions for Blind Mew:
Will we ever figure out what made the Skull Island Skull?

What is it like to be a Video Game Writer? (I really want to see this on the blog!!! Also I love this job generally... I think it sounds really fun and cool.)

And (just an idea) Why not use all those unused skyways for either a hunt down on Kane or the side world (like Grizzleheim?) ?

Questions for Ratbeard:
Will Companions ever get new Critical Strikes with their promotions?

What is it like to do your job (Can't remember the specific name for it right now...) ?

Well since I don't know... What is your job?... You cover so much it seems...

Thanks for making this game so awesome! I love it!
Thanks,
Brass Leo Hornigold, Level 51 Swashy Arrrr See ya in the Skyways!

Developer
Will Companions ever get new Critical Strikes with their promotions?
Most companions have at least 3 critical strikes, and the premium companions have up to five additional attack animations. When we add tiers to existing companions, we always try to add new animations (if the schedule permits).

What is it like to do your job (Can't remember the specific name for it right now...) ?
It's awesome-- even when it's hard!

What is your job?... You cover so much it seems...
My title is Senior Systems Designer. "Systems" includes everything from companions, to powers, talents, pets, equipment, loot tables, drop rates, class balance/advancement, and overall difficulty balancing. It *doesn't* include world design, quest design, or writing.

There are a lot of creative aspects to the job (coming up with new talents/powers is super fun), but there's a lot of math work to be done no matter what I'm working on. So, on a typical work day, I spend about half the day working in Excel; as opposed to a world/quest designer who spends more time actually logged in to the game through the world editor. I tend to see bits and pieces of the game, usually one battleboard at a time, and not usually in linear or logical fashion. So, for example, when I worked on the Rooke fight or the Hydra fight in this last milestone, I saw each battle over and over but didn't have a feeling for how it fit into the whole story until I played through on the live server!

It's sort of like trying to make sense of Star Wars by just watching the 5 minute duel between Darth Vader and Obi Wan fifty times.

Needless to say I was blown away by the entirety of Marleybone and Aquila when I finally got to play them myself on the live servers!

Ensign
Nov 11, 2012
Just remembered a few other questions! Sorry, couldn't remember them at the moment...
Ratbeard~

1.) Could you check to make sure sleeping companions aren't effecting the orange-yellow-gray of enemies? Right now I'm level 52, and all enemies from level 42-53 are yellow. Wondering if this is from my low-level sleepers...

2.) Why did you make the price of Companion Training Points so high?
~ or ~
Could you slightly lower the price of Companion Training Points?
~ or even ~
Could you sell Companion Training Points in the Crown Shop as an alternative to farming bosses for high-selling loot?

3.) What's the hardest part of your job?

Blind Mew~
1.) What's the hardest part of your job?

2.) When was it the hardest to fit all of the pieces of the Main Questline together and what you needed for a certain world?

3.) Can you tell us a Level range of when we're going to go to El Dorado?
(Or would that be telling )

Petty Officer
Jul 06, 2013
not sure if this is the right area but will compainions ever be able to equip weapons and armor i think that alone would be sweet

Developer

Pleasing millions of different players at the same time.

To control demand: If the price seems too high for you, you should reconsider buying them.

Probably not. See above.

Could you sell Companion Training Points in the Crown Shop as an alternative to farming bosses for high-selling loot?

I would advise against this.

1.) Could you check to make sure sleeping companions aren't effecting the orange-yellow-gray of enemies? Right now I'm level 52, and all enemies from level 42-53 are yellow. Wondering if this is from my low-level sleepers...

As you level up, the difficulty bands of enemies will tend to get wider.

Ensign
Nov 11, 2012
Ratbeard on Jul 15, 2013 wrote:

Pleasing millions of different players at the same time.

To control demand: If the price seems too high for you, you should reconsider buying them.

Probably not. See above.

I would advise against this.

As you level up, the difficulty bands of enemies will tend to get wider.
LOL My questions of complaining about companion training points figure out to comes back to haunt me... in the First question I asked ;)

Arrr See Ya in the Skyways!!!
Brass Leo Hornigold, Level 58 (or 57, I can't tell these days) Swashy

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
I have one question for all developers... (Jack already answered this though )

If you had to choose another character to be your screen name, who would it be and why? Jack said Iago which I thought was cool.

Ciao!

Ensign
Nov 28, 2008
Here's some questions for any developer reading who might be able to answer XD

1) Might you guys considering adding more quests that give companion points?

2) Do you guys have any ideas yet as to any post-Armada enemies? If so could you perhaps give us some hints?

3) What kind of companions can we look forward too in the upcoming worlds? What kind of enemies?

4) Is it alright if I ask why Crown Shop companions are so high-priced?

5) What are the chances of meeting Merle Ambrose in the Pirate version of the spiral?

6) Is there perhaps a way to add more Practice Point quests or maybe questlines with Practice Points that include side stories in each different worlds? (That would be very much appreciated)

Bosun
Oct 15, 2010
RuthlessKelseyLife... on Jul 20, 2013 wrote:
Here's some questions for any developer reading who might be able to answer XD

1) Might you guys considering adding more quests that give companion points?

2) Do you guys have any ideas yet as to any post-Armada enemies? If so could you perhaps give us some hints?

3) What kind of companions can we look forward too in the upcoming worlds? What kind of enemies?

4) Is it alright if I ask why Crown Shop companions are so high-priced?

5) What are the chances of meeting Merle Ambrose in the Pirate version of the spiral?

6) Is there perhaps a way to add more Practice Point quests or maybe questlines with Practice Points that include side stories in each different worlds? (That would be very much appreciated)
1) I believe there are a lot of side quests already giving this, lol.

2) No they won't tell us but yes they probably have ideas

4) 'Cause they're good!

5) 0.01%

These are my guesses for some of the questions.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I give a hearty Yarr to the practice point thing. Now that we have so many wonderful weapons with different classes I would love to be able to train for the boost for those combo weapons. I have some of them already but do not have enough points to get all the other skills required to get more training on them. Yes more practice point quests. I don't mind having to work for them, just give me the tasks and I will go for the challenge.

Ensign
Nov 28, 2008
Pirates in the Sky on Jul 20, 2013 wrote:
1) I believe there are a lot of side quests already giving this, lol.

2) No they won't tell us but yes they probably have ideas

4) 'Cause they're good!

5) 0.01%

These are my guesses for some of the questions.
Thanks but I was looking for an official response. Sorry