Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Problem with Flanking

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Feb 01, 2011
Okay, several of my companions have the flanking ability, and it was working very well...I used it extensively in my strategies to take down my foes. But there is now a problem.

My flanking seems to have stopped working. At first I thought I was imagining it, or that it might not work every now and again...but after careful observation, I can safely say my flanking ability has stopped working all together. I've observed it like 10 times in a row...never worked once.

Other abilities (vengeance strike, second chance, first strike, etc) all seem to be okay...and before anyone asks, 'yes', I know exactly how flanking works (I've used it successfully many times before).

So...anyone else having this issue?

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Weird. For me, flanking is certainly still working.

Community Leader
galliard1 on May 31, 2013 wrote:
Okay, several of my companions have the flanking ability, and it was working very well...I used it extensively in my strategies to take down my foes. But there is now a problem.

My flanking seems to have stopped working. At first I thought I was imagining it, or that it might not work every now and again...but after careful observation, I can safely say my flanking ability has stopped working all together. I've observed it like 10 times in a row...never worked once.

Other abilities (vengeance strike, second chance, first strike, etc) all seem to be okay...and before anyone asks, 'yes', I know exactly how flanking works (I've used it successfully many times before).

So...anyone else having this issue?
The main companion I use for flanking is the Monkey King and I haven't noticed any issues with how it works. Were there any other changes when it stopped working? (i.e. stopped working when you got to Aquila) The more details about when exactly you noticed this problem could help KI track down the issue and fix it!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
Talkin The Plank on May 31, 2013 wrote:
The main companion I use for flanking is the Monkey King and I haven't noticed any issues with how it works. Were there any other changes when it stopped working? (i.e. stopped working when you got to Aquila) The more details about when exactly you noticed this problem could help KI track down the issue and fix it!
I have to concur with Plank.

Just last night my Monkey King companion was thrashing the baddies with Flanking.

Maybe its an issue with specific companions, or specific battles/instances.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Feb 10, 2011
I am also having this problem, but I think it is only on certain comps or in certain situations.

It s definitely happening with my Catbeard companion, who has Flanking trained. Flanking does not activate when he is opposite me (I am a Privateer with a melee weapon). However I think it does activate when he is opposite my melee pet.

It needs more testing, but something is definitely not working quite right with it.

Ensign
Feb 10, 2011
I also tested this with my Monkey King companion, who has Flanking trained... and Flanking is NOT working correctly with him either. At least, when he is opposite my pirate (who is privateer/melee).

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
azoresgirl on Jun 1, 2013 wrote:
I am also having this problem, but I think it is only on certain comps or in certain situations.

It s definitely happening with my Catbeard companion, who has Flanking trained. Flanking does not activate when he is opposite me (I am a Privateer with a melee weapon). However I think it does activate when he is opposite my melee pet.

It needs more testing, but something is definitely not working quite right with it.
Are you using a dual class weapon (like shooty/stabby) because that may be causing the problems.

Ensign
Feb 10, 2011
KiwiChickenz on Jun 1, 2013 wrote:
Are you using a dual class weapon (like shooty/stabby) because that may be causing the problems.
I am using a pure slashy weapon on my level 60 Privateer at this time, although pre-update it used to work even when I used a combo slashy/shooty weapon.

Please feel free to log on my character and see for yourselves! :) I have trained flanking on all the comps where it's available and it is my favorite talent, so it's disappointing that it has not been working as intended.

I haven't tried it on my Swash (who is still in Mooshu) but I'll get on her today and check it out.

Ensign
Feb 10, 2011
Okay so... ummm... I logged on today, and it's working now? I have no idea why it didn't work yesterday but it does today, which makes zero sense.

Anyway, I'm 100% sure it didn't activate yesterday on my Catbeard and Monkey King (even called someone in my household to bear witness, lol). And I'm 100% sure it does work today on my Milo and Monkey King. I didn't change any of my gear. I'm stupefied. The only difference from yesterday is that I was fighting different enemies. I guess I'll keep an eye on it, see if it happens again.

Captain
May 13, 2011
you think thats a problem? i use walk in shadows on keisuke and then the critical attack, but sometimes he decides to flank while hidden and blow his cover. THATS something that should be fix