Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Dodge seems to be useless

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Feb 01, 2011
I have a question...exactly how does 'dodge' work? I mean, as you buy a companion higher levels of it, shouldn't his ability to dodge an attack increase? I ask because I have companions who have little or no dodge, and I have others who are maxed out on dodge...and they all seem to get hit every time! I've noticed no difference! It would have been better to spend those points in something like extra health or maybe armor, but it's too expensive to go back now and re-set their abilities. I feel like I've been cheated out of those points. KI, I'm not looking to dodge every single attack, or even most attacks, but maybe (at least when maxed out) two or three attacks each combat would be nice. Any one else notice this?

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Try using El Toro's Esprit de Corps, it increases Accuracy & Dodge by 25%. Also, if you are playing with other & they use their El Toro's, the boost stack and you all will be dodging most attacks.

Dodge is 1 of the 3 necessary talents to train a companion, unless that companion has vengeance.

Ensign
Sep 19, 2012
I can answer this one for you, in the test realm their were people complaining about not hitting buccaneers. So to answer this problem KI, made it easier to hit, that means for everyone. Enemies and your team can hit a lot easier now. I kind of preferred it the other way(kind of took away what a swashbuckler is good at .

Ensign
Apr 20, 2013
Dodge is a little confusing for me as well. I discovered it was not actually measured in number units, but rather by a "percent". That means we probably have some sort of base dodge number and we can increase that with dodge by percentage and get it decreased by the target's accuracy.
I kind of lost track of what I was even saying there.

And one last thing, your dodge and the dodge of your companions can be set off by the accuracy of the attacker. I'm not exactly a highly experienced player, but if you said your dodge was "maxed out", that probably means you are playing in a level or world where the mobs also have very large amounts of accuracy to compete.

Or maybe, you just had a lot of bad luck.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
KI uses a system that starts your base chance of landing a successful attack at 75%. Dodge decreases your opponents chance to land a successful attack from this base 75% by subtracting from this chance. Accuracy acts as a countermeasure to this by increasing your opponents chance to hit a sucessful attack by adding to this chance.

For a simple calculation:
(Opponents Accuracy+ Base Chance to Hit(75%))-(Your Dodge)=Chance of Opponent landing a hit on you.

Other factors are at play such as the class of your opponent, his main used stat(agility, strenght, will) etc, buffs etc.

Community Leader
galliard1 on May 31, 2013 wrote:
I have a question...exactly how does 'dodge' work? I mean, as you buy a companion higher levels of it, shouldn't his ability to dodge an attack increase? I ask because I have companions who have little or no dodge, and I have others who are maxed out on dodge...and they all seem to get hit every time! I've noticed no difference! It would have been better to spend those points in something like extra health or maybe armor, but it's too expensive to go back now and re-set their abilities. I feel like I've been cheated out of those points. KI, I'm not looking to dodge every single attack, or even most attacks, but maybe (at least when maxed out) two or three attacks each combat would be nice. Any one else notice this?
I always max the dodge talent on my companions with Riposte epic talent.

I also use El Toro as my firstmate, and usually start with his accuracy/dodge boost as well.

With those at my disposal, my companions are dodging and shredding opponents with Riposte.
Not everytime, they take their share of damage, but dodge seems to work for me.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
You can't really "max out" dodge. I know it is given in a percentage and 100% should be the highest, but you can (and should) go over that. This is because it works as Eric Stormbringer says.