Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Deacon's prison ship

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Because I was curious about the new tutorial, I created a character, and thus found out for the first time the name of Deacon's prison ship: The Erebus. The Erebus? Hmm. Sounded familiar, and why did I have an ominous feeling about it? Going to my tattered and too-well-loved copy of Edith Hamilton's _Mythology_ (of the Greeks and Romans), I soon refreshed my memory. Eeek! Depending on the ancient writer, Erebus is either the place where the Dead pass through to enter eternal judgment, or the term for all the lower regions of Hades (including judgment and punishment, in particular the often inventively cruel Tartarus). So in case we were in any doubt of what would be the fate of those unfortunates captured by Deacon... well, that says it all. In spades. Eeeek!

Seriously, nice job KI for those Classical allusions! And it is interesting to compare the names of the ships of Rooke and Deacon. The name of Rooke's ship (I won't say it, as it could be a spoiler) lays it out right in front of you. There is no doubt of his intent or his perceived right to do so. Gulp. But you go forward anyway, of course! Deacon is much more subtle, and once it sinks in, much more terrifying! (And shall I say one more time, I am so glad he is 'damaged beyond repair'!)
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Ensign
Aug 03, 2010
I am really happy that i escaped that place now.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
As well, the ship where you fight Fin Dorsal when you're trying to get the map piece-It's the same ship.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on May 29, 2013 wrote:
Because I was curious about the new tutorial, I created a character, and thus found out for the first time the name of Deacon's prison ship: The Erebus. The Erebus? Hmm. Sounded familiar, and why did I have an ominous feeling about it? Going to my tattered and too-well-loved copy of Edith Hamilton's _Mythology_ (of the Greeks and Romans), I soon refreshed my memory. Eeek! Depending on the ancient writer, Erebus is either the place where the Dead pass through to enter eternal judgment, or the term for all the lower regions of Hades (including judgment and punishment, in particular the often inventively cruel Tartarus). So in case we were in any doubt of what would be the fate of those unfortunates captured by Deacon... well, that says it all. In spades. Eeeek!

Seriously, nice job KI for those Classical allusions! And it is interesting to compare the names of the ships of Rooke and Deacon. The name of Rooke's ship (I won't say it, as it could be a spoiler) lays it out right in front of you. There is no doubt of his intent or his perceived right to do so. Gulp. But you go forward anyway, of course! Deacon is much more subtle, and once it sinks in, much more terrifying! (And shall I say one more time, I am so glad he is 'damaged beyond repair'!)
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Quentin: HA, that clockwork ship can't best MY clockwork ship, behold...-ship gets pulled in- THE DREADNAUGHT!!!!
Bernard: This ship is made of quadruple reinforced graphene, the toughest lead ever known.
Griffin: This ship is so strong, not even lightning can damage it.
Noah: You don't want its cannons pointed at your ship though, we have TONS of cannons on board, they will pop up everywhere on deck and broadsides.
Alexander: Indeed, it also has amazing speed, yet it is the size of an oil rig.
Valona: The best part is that it drives all by itself, at least until something goes wrong.
Quentin: Indeed, this ship is also the symbol of our genius in the family, after all, we are born of Valencian blood. In fact, the whole Atherton family is Valencian.

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
Quentin Atherton on May 30, 2013 wrote:
Quentin: HA, that clockwork ship can't best MY clockwork ship, behold...-ship gets pulled in- THE DREADNAUGHT!!!!
Bernard: This ship is made of quadruple reinforced graphene, the toughest lead ever known.
Griffin: This ship is so strong, not even lightning can damage it.
Noah: You don't want its cannons pointed at your ship though, we have TONS of cannons on board, they will pop up everywhere on deck and broadsides.
Alexander: Indeed, it also has amazing speed, yet it is the size of an oil rig.
Valona: The best part is that it drives all by itself, at least until something goes wrong.
Quentin: Indeed, this ship is also the symbol of our genius in the family, after all, we are born of Valencian blood. In fact, the whole Atherton family is Valencian.
Me: Well you know in the future your ship will be in Port Regal and I'm gonna blow it up! And I don't think the Roses really want to fight you.
Black Rose: It's true.
Me: Now may I ask, did you kill Valona?

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Sniper Rose on May 31, 2013 wrote:
Me: Well you know in the future your ship will be in Port Regal and I'm gonna blow it up! And I don't think the Roses really want to fight you.
Me: Oh, this sounds fun. Mind me helping with the blowing up the ship stuff?

Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
Sniper Rose on May 31, 2013 wrote:
Me: No, she is my fiance, we are to be married when this wasteful conflict with the Armada is over.
Valona: Indeed, and with his help, I will get my revenge on Queen Clockwork for beheading my mother.
Me: I love it when you hold a grudge!
Valona: Awe, thank you.
Noah: Ah, young love.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
???: I am not so sure this "Executioner" of yours will survive, fiend.

Quentin: Oh great, not the hooded guardian of Flotsam.

Hooded Guardian: Time to teach you a lesson-And I'll walk out of the room victorious! P.S: Your ship has like only 880 health.

Quentin: Your mutiny is that famous but-

Hooded Guardian: As famous as my ship, the Hoodoo God?

Quentin: Yes. By the way, I absolutely love your scar and the hole on your cloak. Where did you get them?

Hooded Guardian: By being slashed and shot by three knuckleheads from Skull Island. Ask Don Rodrigo. He'll tell you the story.

Quentin: I was kidding. But I'll ask him.

Don Rodrigo: Oh yes, I remember. It was a stressful night. He decided to call Avery about the restart of the Polarian War. He failed miserably. Do you remember? You told me to slash him.

Quentin: Don't remind me. It took my distant cousin on a trip to find his former self, go back, and make a paradox.

???: Don't remind ME, either.

Quentin: Oh great.

???: I'm taking you to Avernus.

Quentin: Oh, why?

???: Just get in the ship...

--1 hour later--

???: Here we are at Isla De Los Muertos. Throw the rocks onto the ground.

Hooded Guardian: DON'T LISTEN TO HIM!

???: Great, it's that insignificant puppet.

TO BE CONTINUED...