Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Where did the Family Friendly atmosphere go?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 16, 2010
I felt that the dungeon had enough challenge, and intrigue to be entertaining. "battle challenge" is actually not important to me, as I have NEVER considered this a focus of KI games and this is actually why I play them. I love it from an interactive story perspective. When people start talking about "challenge" here and on Wizard101, I start to get ill, because it seems like gamers from outside influences trying to come in and make KI games something that I personally feel they were not intended to be.

I very much agree with you. If KI intended these games to be family friendly why do gamers keep insisting on making things more difficult. Does Monopoly get more difficult the longer you play? Does Clue? The original family friendly board games (that KI is basing this play style off of) never had increasingly challenging lvls with cheats in them. That is what made the initial playing of W101 and P101 so much fun. It was like the family game night from when i was a kid. But now, we have experienced gamers begging (and actually getting) the more difficult battles and worlds filled with cheating bosses. That is not family friendly to me. That is telling my 6 year old who can't defeat a boss who cheats "KI says: We want you to get killed because your enemy cheated" Where is the fun family friendly atmosphere? Long Gone, imo. If you want a challenging game with cheating bosses go to WOW, or Tera. But please stop destroying these cute fun games for my family. We have shelled out thousands of dollars over the last 3 years on 5 accounts playing both w101 and p101 and we are just baffled that KI keeps destroying what they worked so hard to create in the first place. You brought us in with the cute world design, the game play style, and most of all the story/characters ... but that wont keep us forever if you make it hard to play. Games are not meant to be hard, they are meant to be fun. No one in my family enjoys a hard battle. We don't say "woohoo we did it when we finish a cheating boss" what we say is "thank god that is over, I am done playing for a good long while." And it will be weeks before we log back in again.

Why do we even bother logging back in you ask? Because we still hope that KI will come to their senses and remember what it means to be family friendly again. Because we remember what it was like in the early part of the game when it was truly family friendly fun gaming and we miss it. we log back in to see those characters that filled this amazing fantasy world because we miss them and want to know more about them. And each time we log in we just get more and more disappointed and the longer it takes for us to come back to the game. Bring back the Originality, and the Fun, get rid of the Ridiculous Hard Work that you turned these games into.

I am always happy to see when a hard fight has been knocked down to an 'easier' status.

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
I am a father who plays online with his daughter and a couple of her friends and we all actually enjoy the increased difficulty. I also hope that the P101 does not become a tedious level grind like most MMO's geared towards adults tend to be, but we welcome the new challenges.

I agree with you when you say that games are supposed to be fun. However I also would like to add that this game is an MMO. You have different players with different skills and abilities and the key to success is to pool your talents and work as a team. If everything comes easy, then you could solo the game yourself, but I think that it is far more rewarding when I work with my daughter and her friends to beat an almost unbeatable enemy.

We celebrate our victories together because everyone contributes to the success.

Bosun
Oct 15, 2010
HugsLadyBugs on May 13, 2013 wrote:
I felt that the dungeon had enough challenge, and intrigue to be entertaining. "battle challenge" is actually not important to me, as I have NEVER considered this a focus of KI games and this is actually why I play them. I love it from an interactive story perspective. When people start talking about "challenge" here and on Wizard101, I start to get ill, because it seems like gamers from outside influences trying to come in and make KI games something that I personally feel they were not intended to be.

I very much agree with you. If KI intended these games to be family friendly why do gamers keep insisting on making things more difficult. Does Monopoly get more difficult the longer you play? Does Clue? The original family friendly board games (that KI is basing this play style off of) never had increasingly challenging lvls with cheats in them. That is what made the initial playing of W101 and P101 so much fun. It was like the family game night from when i was a kid. But now, we have experienced gamers begging (and actually getting) the more difficult battles and worlds filled with cheating bosses. That is not family friendly to me. That is telling my 6 year old who can't defeat a boss who cheats "KI says: We want you to get killed because your enemy cheated" Where is the fun family friendly atmosphere? Long Gone, imo. If you want a challenging game with cheating bosses go to WOW, or Tera. But please stop destroying these cute fun games for my family. We have shelled out thousands of dollars over the last 3 years on 5 accounts playing both w101 and p101 and we are just baffled that KI keeps destroying what they worked so hard to create in the first place. You brought us in with the cute world design, the game play style, and most of all the story/characters ... but that wont keep us forever if you make it hard to play. Games are not meant to be hard, they are meant to be fun. No one in my family enjoys a hard battle. We don't say "woohoo we did it when we finish a cheating boss" what we say is "thank god that is over, I am done playing for a good long while." And it will be weeks before we log back in again.

Why do we even bother logging back in you ask? Because we still hope that KI will come to their senses and remember what it means to be family friendly again. Because we remember what it was like in the early part of the game when it was truly family friendly fun gaming and we miss it. we log back in to see those characters that filled this amazing fantasy world because we miss them and want to know more about them. And each time we log in we just get more and more disappointed and the longer it takes for us to come back to the game. Bring back the Originality, and the Fun, get rid of the Ridiculous Hard Work that you turned these games into.

I am always happy to see when a hard fight has been knocked down to an 'easier' status.
I think that this might be why worlds like Grizzleheim (not wintertusk) and Wysteria were released, because they were easier versions of the difficult worlds.

Wysteria has cheaters, but guides on Wizard101 Central are abundant and they are a lot easier to figure out and defeat than, say, Avalon (Young Morganthe).
Grizzleheim is easy and changes according to your progress there and your wizard level. I like this. Also, for wizards who want the extra challenge, they can continue on with Wintertusk.

Captain
May 13, 2011
HugsLadyBugs on May 13, 2013 wrote:

its not very fun either if its too easy. as you progress though the game, there will be bigger challenges, and you have to change your strategy to beat those challenges. improve yourself, dont ask for it to be easier. every single game gets harder as you progress, not easier. just change your strategy