Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirate101 or Wizard101?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 18, 2011
Who likes Wizard101 more?Who likes Pirate101 more?Who likes them the same?why?
I like them both!How about you?Why?

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I have to say, I am head over heels into Pirate101.

Well, honestly, when I first started Wizard101 back in late 2008 or so, I had an absolute blast. I'd say as much as in this game right now. But at Celestia+ I started not having so much fun, and with the release of Avalon, the fun for me was all but destroyed. I just don't have fun in Wizard101 any more. The most fun I have now is opening up new booster packs or buying me new bundles. xD I am so weird.

Pirate101 has a completely different combat system, which I find so refreshing. As hard as I try to find ways of how KingsIsle may try to ruin the fun in the future (by adding some rediculous cheats and such) I really can't think of anything. Because this game is a tactics game. In wizard101, you were not able to move around and stuff, you just sat there and took whatever was coming to you.

And even if future expansions in this game did ruin the fun for me, I am pretty much the only one in the community that thinks and experiences things the way I do lol, so, no one else will really be affected by it. And I know it will be at least a year before expansions potentially alter my gameplay experience.

Ensign
Aug 17, 2009
I like Pirate101 better. Wizard101 is great, but Pirate101 has updated graphics, in my opinion a better plot, and the idea of companions seems a lot more interesting and useful than Wizard101 pets.

Ensign
Feb 18, 2011
now that I think about it,I like Pirate 101 more as well I have not have been playing wizard 101 since Pirate 101

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
I didn't like the new dinosaur world in Wizard101. I have a storm, life, death, and balance wizard. Only the storm wizard gets a spell that I would even put into my deck. Wizard101 gave life a damage over time spell and keeps making the various classes more and more generic. As the new world was incredibly grindy and lacked any end farming dungeon that I would enjoy doing, I simply quit. The new spells finalized that decision.

Petty Officer
Jun 01, 2009
Pirates101.

I prefer the battle system, and the games story as a whole is simply more fun and grounded for my liking. I am not saying there is anything wrong with Wizards101, I simply prefer Pirates.

Plus I was a huge Shining force 2 fan in my youth.

SCH

Ensign
Dec 30, 2011
I am with you on the shining force 2 thing! great mechanics tranfered to pirates101. I am a tactics gamer by trade and i prefer pirates to wizards hands down. my son prefers wizards because he loves all the spells. needless to we switch back and fourth through the week lol.

Ensign
Nov 26, 2012
I would just like to say... It is a bit odd to ask which people prefer on a forum for one of the sites. In the end the majority of the people on the Pirate 101 forum will be for Pirate 101. You know?

That being said, I prefer Pirate 101. I just never liked Wizard 101 as much. It is just a personal preference I suppose.

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2010
I played Wizard101 forever and was finally getting bored of it when Pirate came out, so I'm definitely more of a Pirate fan.

In fact, I went back to Wiz and started doing Azteca and the first collection quest kind of killed me. I just couldn't take the grind of those ridiculous collection quests, so I just came back to Pirate.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
leonidasofsparta on Dec 1, 2012 wrote:
I like Pirate101 better. Wizard101 is great, but Pirate101 has updated graphics, in my opinion a better plot, and the idea of companions seems a lot more interesting and useful than Wizard101 pets.
I had noticed that Pirate101 did possess better graphics than Wizard101 by far, being that most of the characters' mouths move and speak with the applied voiceovers and all. (Didn't you notice that before?) Why couldn't Wizard101 do that in the first place? Maybe Wizard101 will recieve a graphical upgrade one day, so to follow Pirate101's better graphical expectations by far.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2010
Pirate 101 is new and refreshing where as wizard 101 is stale and ever repeating not to mention sitting there waiting for other wizards to make up their minds as to which spells to play. I know pirate has similar mechanics as far as making up your mind as to which tactic to play or attack to use but being able to move and perform actual attacks is so much more fun than just sitting there watching yer wizard cast a spell. I tried azteca with my storm wizzy and i lost interest after the first part grinding aztecans to gather pieces of whatever for whoever. It seems like the new world in wiz 101 is just a repeat of any other world, trying to avoid as many battles as possible cause it does you no good to battle things for gear beings the gear is so very weak compared to the previous expansion. I found that when i started wizard 101 with each new expansion the gear kept getting worse and worse for every level higher you got. What i mean is that the gear from each previous expansions end was better than the new expansions gear until you got to the end of that new expnansion. So upgraded gear didnt happen until i got to the end of the latest expansion due to poor gear introduction by the developers. Similarily, I find that pirate 101 is so much similar in the regard to gear upgrades. Im still using level 20 shark pack gear due to the fact that pirate 101 doesnt think that game drop gear should be as good as crown shop gear. Im currently level 50 and have no gear from mooshu on during my whole adventure in mooshu. I find this extremely unacceptable for any game. If you truly want to keep people playing this game its time to incorporate some awesome gear upgrades for every class with each new world they explore. There is no enjoyment to be had by using the same gear for the whole game.. Ill wait for the expansion and if i dont see any changes to the way gear is distibuted in each new world im pretty much done with any KI game as is my family. What a shame!!!

Ensign
Nov 19, 2012
Reckless Cedric on Dec 4, 2012 wrote:
Pirates101.

I prefer the battle system, and the games story as a whole is simply more fun and grounded for my liking. I am not saying there is anything wrong with Wizards101, I simply prefer Pirates.

Plus I was a huge Shining force 2 fan in my youth.

SCH
what is that

Ensign
May 28, 2009
Bit more into Pirate101. Both games are cool, but in Pirate, you have a better adventure story, traps are not debuffs, and you can attack directly without your wand card coming up. Also, it's a bit easier to get stuck on Wizard, and it can get a little hackeyed when every monster uses the same magic dueling style as you, over uses the same spells, side steps their class restrictions by using mutated versions of every spell, and none of your allies can do anything to help unless their minions other players. The story and fights in pirate can be acted out as they happen, not made to jump through hops to fit into the card game mechanics.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2010
pirate101 because of the better battle grid,the flying ship,funny puppet shows and the companions(the minions in wizard101 you don't control).the only thing in wizard101 i liked was the pets

Petty Officer
Dec 16, 2010
Girl Gamers Rule on Nov 30, 2012 wrote:
Who likes Wizard101 more?Who likes Pirate101 more?Who likes them the same?why?
I like them both!How about you?Why?
Pirate101 is WAY better then Wizard101 now that you think about it. (Possibly because I finally had a membership in one of Kingisle games)

There are so many reasons why Pirate101 is a lot better then Wizard101 and here are the answers:

Pirate101 has offereda variety of new things that Wizard101 doesn't have. Pirate101 has introduce a new way of combat fighting. The new combat fighting is fun and doesn't get boring. There are so many possibilites on how you can attack. Instead of the same spells, and all, P101 allows you to have different moves, critical attacks and so forth. It adds a new feel to the battles instead of the same boring spells and such.

Pirate101 is more entertaining. Unlike Wizard101, P101 has companions. Companions make the game fun, they help you, they're always there for you and your pets can serve as companions. In W101 what's the purpose of having pets if they can't do anything in battle with you?

Story line wise is much more interesting and better. It doesn't have the same concept and story line. (Not that I expect it too). Even though P101 has a few of the same worlds at W101 Kingisle has incorporated those very same worlds into something more exciting in P101.

Some what W101 is also good in some ways. However, after all my crowns were out and I couldn't go anywhere W101 just got kinda boring.

It's early in the game for P101. And I see so much more to come. I'll always be a KI fan, and my gameplay experience with them will never change.

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
leonidasofsparta on Dec 1, 2012 wrote:
Totally agree.
Bristly Kevin

Bosun
May 06, 2009
I think I'm gonna be the only person to say this, but I really prefer Wizard101 over Pirate101. I like both games and both stories, but I haven't been playing the actual Pirate101 game as much as I'd like (my brother has finished this game four times already)

Pirate101 may have a whole lot of new graphics, new system of doing things, in fact, the fact that it is NEW is why a lot kinda go for it. When it was just Wizard101, people would flip over for new worlds, new packs, etc. I like the new-ness of Pirate101. It's great that the developer's get more one-on-one with the constumer's. That's absolutely superb (I really wish more of that was on Wizard101). But I mean since most are bored and tired of Wizard101, this game is like a...compensation.

I've been playing Wizard101 sinced Dragonspyre opened and it's been pretty much the only game I've played my whole middle school-high school life. I still have a friend to hang out with on that game and it's kind of our only way to talk face-to-face. The newest expansion of Azteca came as no shock to me. I soloed a lot of Avalon and it wasn't as bad as most percieved to be. I ended up entering Azteca at level 84, I'll explain more if someone asks (running outa space here). And doing it with a good friend or my brother is pretty much fine with me and I like that. Maybe it's because I'm a death wizard and I can afford to get my health at 14 (no joke, that happened before! LOL)

I also love the story lines of Wizard101 and I feel not enough pay attention to the second main arc and only focus on the grinding battles and the annoying quests. Not like you have to think that way. If it wasn't a game, it'd be a book and I love to read. But whatever. We all have our own perceptions.

Anyway, I love the spells and features of Wizard101 and the gear never bugs me (I found my perfect gear. No, not Waterworks) 'Stories are great and I don't think you'll see that in Pirate101. Well that's all I gotta say.

See you in the Spiral!

Lieutenant
Dec 30, 2012
Pirate101. Wizard101 has rude players, old graphics, too much crowns items, unbalanced combat, horrid pvp, and gets constantly boring. Basically to win Wizard101, you buy hundreds of dollars of crowns then win everything. the hoard packs are RIDICULOUS. There are way too many of them. I just feel that game is promoting gambling and wasting money. Kingsisle made that game all bout money. No offense to my favorite game company, but that game has seriously gotten off the hook and I was up to here with it all before I quit months ago.

Please don't make Pirate101 the same way. I beg of you.

Bosun
May 06, 2009
Ruthless Anthony on Feb 9, 2013 wrote:
Pirate101. Wizard101 has rude players, old graphics, too much crowns items, unbalanced combat, horrid pvp, and gets constantly boring. Basically to win Wizard101, you buy hundreds of dollars of crowns then win everything. the hoard packs are RIDICULOUS. There are way too many of them. I just feel that game is promoting gambling and wasting money. Kingsisle made that game all bout money. No offense to my favorite game company, but that game has seriously gotten off the hook and I was up to here with it all before I quit months ago.

Please don't make Pirate101 the same way. I beg of you.
Ugh! I forgot about the rude people in that game. They've become very offensive and don't use a lot of constructive criticism. Just say "This sucks! You're terrible! Need to do better."That's one thing I like about this game. I don't have to be bombarded with a whole lot of that (I've been in enough crazy senarios on that game). Still prefer Wizard101 though.

However, do note that Wizard101 has been out for 4 years (5 when September hits) and the Hoard packs were just gonna adding up (the same will happen for Pirate101 over the years). A bunch of Packs don't typically come out at once. Packs kinda of act as a compensation for the wait for big updates. That's how I see it. This new pack on Pirate101, the Tribal Crew Pack, is doing the same because this next update is apparently going to be very large and take up some time. So when you add up all the time for Wizard101 updates, it doesn't suprise me that they have so many packs. KI wants to avoid as much boredom as possible which is why they hand out anything new they possibly can until their next big thing comes out.

As KI first and oldest game, Wizard101 would be outdated compared to Pirate101 but that's only by nature. Look at computers, and cell phones. They came a LONG way from there starts. So I wouldn't hit Wizard101 hard on graphics because it has come a long way and it's just a fact of things since 2008. It's like when TV shows come out and first season is outdated to the later ones. Pirate101 is just built off of Wizard101's mistakes. It happens. If KI releases a third game, I guarantee we'd say the same about Wizard101 and Pirate101 because that game would be perfect.

You don't really have to spend a lot of money to win Wizard101. Ok, I'll admit it. I sound like a hypocrit. I've spent my fair share of dollars on Wizard101 since the game opened with Dragonspyre. I typically only spend Crowns on Wizard101 to buy new areas, but I have spent on Crown Gear and Hoard packs (today i only do that for friends. Ah, ah! Don't ask!) I've gotten Henchman here and there but, since Zafaria, I haven't used any once. Avalon and Azteca aren't that bad for Death (we look fear right in the eye and laugh). I won't speak for Elemental peeps lol. Overall outside of buying area to area or doing sub, you don't really need to spend anymore than what you want if yu want it. Unfortunately, that's just not the case for most people of Wizard101 today. Pity.

I don't think it get's really boring unless you make it out to be. Some people find World History and World Geography the most interesting thing in the world while for me, it ain't all that, unless you have an awesome teacher. Sometimes Pirate101 will get boring to me but I don't think anyone's willing to admit many of Pirate101 short comings yet. We'll wait when more of Wizard101's features are added like Gifting, Grouping, Stitching, Fishing etc.

Cunning Finnigan Sharp
Level 17 Swashbucker

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
Cunning Finnigan S... on Feb 9, 2013 wrote:
Ugh! I forgot about the rude people in that game. They've become very offensive and don't use a lot of constructive criticism. Just say "This sucks! You're terrible! Need to do better."That's one thing I like about this game. I don't have to be bombarded with a whole lot of that (I've been in enough crazy senarios on that game). Still prefer Wizard101 though.

However, do note that Wizard101 has been out for 4 years (5 when September hits) and the Hoard packs were just gonna adding up (the same will happen for Pirate101 over the years). A bunch of Packs don't typically come out at once. Packs kinda of act as a compensation for the wait for big updates. That's how I see it. This new pack on Pirate101, the Tribal Crew Pack, is doing the same because this next update is apparently going to be very large and take up some time. So when you add up all the time for Wizard101 updates, it doesn't suprise me that they have so many packs. KI wants to avoid as much boredom as possible which is why they hand out anything new they possibly can until their next big thing comes out.

As KI first and oldest game, Wizard101 would be outdated compared to Pirate101 but that's only by nature. Look at computers, and cell phones. They came a LONG way from there starts. So I wouldn't hit Wizard101 hard on graphics because it has come a long way and it's just a fact of things since 2008. It's like when TV shows come out and first season is outdated to the later ones. Pirate101 is just built off of Wizard101's mistakes. It happens. If KI releases a third game, I guarantee we'd say the same about Wizard101 and Pirate101 because that game would be perfect.

You don't really have to spend a lot of money to win Wizard101. Ok, I'll admit it. I sound like a hypocrit. I've spent my fair share of dollars on Wizard101 since the game opened with Dragonspyre. I typically only spend Crowns on Wizard101 to buy new areas, but I have spent on Crown Gear and Hoard packs (today i only do that for friends. Ah, ah! Don't ask!) I've gotten Henchman here and there but, since Zafaria, I haven't used any once. Avalon and Azteca aren't that bad for Death (we look fear right in the eye and laugh). I won't speak for Elemental peeps lol. Overall outside of buying area to area or doing sub, you don't really need to spend anymore than what you want if yu want it. Unfortunately, that's just not the case for most people of Wizard101 today. Pity.

I don't think it get's really boring unless you make it out to be. Some people find World History and World Geography the most interesting thing in the world while for me, it ain't all that, unless you have an awesome teacher. Sometimes Pirate101 will get boring to me but I don't think anyone's willing to admit many of Pirate101 short comings yet. We'll wait when more of Wizard101's features are added like Gifting, Grouping, Stitching, Fishing etc.

Cunning Finnigan Sharp
Level 17 Swashbucker
They could update the graphics a little bit. To make it as good as P101.
Bristly Kevin

Ensign
Nov 12, 2012
I would have to say pirate 101
I mean come on!
your a firggin pirate for dog sake!
how much better can it get?

Ensign
Aug 23, 2011
Pirate101! I love the new combat system, the messiness of it all, the addition of companions, the fact the your pets fight alongside you, and the whole "backstory" thing.

Bosun
May 06, 2009
wiz11110 on Feb 10, 2013 wrote:
They could update the graphics a little bit. To make it as good as P101.
Bristly Kevin
They definately could in Wizard101, but that would take an extremely long time because they're going back on 4 years (4 YEARS!!!!) of progress to update the graphics pretty much. And as i'll say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Again, yeah, they could make every world like Azteca and Pirate101 as far as graphics go but if you really want that, then I hope you're willing to wait after they've completed the Morganthe story. I really don't think it's worth it ar all at the moment, but that's just me.

I think Kingsisle is updating Wizard101 worlds through Pirate101 in a way. I mean just compare Wizard101 MooShu and Pirate101 MooShu. A lot of it is the same, but the MooShu in Pirate101 is definately much clearer, graphically appealing and has a darker lighting than the brightness in Wizard101 Moo Shu. Plus new characters and body movement, like blinking and speaking, can be found there.

How Marleybone, Krokotopia, and maybe even Wizard City will look is beyond me, but I have my full anticipation of what is to come later on.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
Dracorro on Dec 8, 2012 wrote:
Pirate 101 is new and refreshing where as wizard 101 is stale and ever repeating not to mention sitting there waiting for other wizards to make up their minds as to which spells to play. I know pirate has similar mechanics as far as making up your mind as to which tactic to play or attack to use but being able to move and perform actual attacks is so much more fun than just sitting there watching yer wizard cast a spell. I tried azteca with my storm wizzy and i lost interest after the first part grinding aztecans to gather pieces of whatever for whoever. It seems like the new world in wiz 101 is just a repeat of any other world, trying to avoid as many battles as possible cause it does you no good to battle things for gear beings the gear is so very weak compared to the previous expansion. I found that when i started wizard 101 with each new expansion the gear kept getting worse and worse for every level higher you got. What i mean is that the gear from each previous expansions end was better than the new expansions gear until you got to the end of that new expnansion. So upgraded gear didnt happen until i got to the end of the latest expansion due to poor gear introduction by the developers. Similarily, I find that pirate 101 is so much similar in the regard to gear upgrades. Im still using level 20 shark pack gear due to the fact that pirate 101 doesnt think that game drop gear should be as good as crown shop gear. Im currently level 50 and have no gear from mooshu on during my whole adventure in mooshu. I find this extremely unacceptable for any game. If you truly want to keep people playing this game its time to incorporate some awesome gear upgrades for every class with each new world they explore. There is no enjoyment to be had by using the same gear for the whole game.. Ill wait for the expansion and if i dont see any changes to the way gear is distibuted in each new world im pretty much done with any KI game as is my family. What a shame!!!
Personally I find my Mooshu dropped gear far better than any crowns gear. But that's just my opinion.

Anyways, I'm almost tied. Almost. I have to say I prefer Wizard101 better because I have too many good friends there for it to be boring. I also like the fact that when you exit a dungeon you pick up where you left off. Pirate101 doesn't do that and it frustrates me to no end.

Pirate does, however, have a cool new story and better graphics on its side. I really like how Mooshu looks. :3

Gunner's Mate
Nov 01, 2012
i think pirate101 is better because in wizard101 the enemies in Celestia, Dragonspyre, Zafaria, etc. health was way larger than ours and were stronger and unless you could buy the henchman you were pretty much done for

Slick Cody Jones-privateer