Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Witchdoctor Subclass?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 03, 2008
I'm a Witchdoctor level 23 and I have a practice point that I don't know what to do with.

I am currently training as a Privateer but I'm not sure if I should continue training in it now that I have the heals, buffs and Gunnery power. If I do continue, I'll have to get Slashy Weapons (Rank 1) and I don't want to do this because there is no way that I'll be swiching to using swords.

Help?

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I say continue going into Privateer.

True, you have to spend some points in Slashy weapons, but, you also gain some really nice passive talents. Now, I am not sure if you have to train in Light Armor, but if you did that, you'd be able to unlock very nice talents.

Elusive. Gives you an extra 25% dodge rating whenever your life is below 50%. I think that is pretty useful in tough fights. Tough. Tough rank 1 and rank 2 gives you an extra 50 health. Yea, that is definitely not much, but enough to cushion you for a blow. Well, that is the direction my Swashbuckler is going in.

However, knowing that Witchdoctors in general have lower accuracy, I can suggest you train in the musketeer class. You will be able to get some very nice accuracy bonuses from that school.

Petty Officer
Nov 28, 2008
I could use some feedback on what people are using their practice points as witchdoctors also. I have the heal already but havent ventured up to the group heal. I dont see myself using a sword either.. so what are you guys spending them on? I currently just bank them and have 9 ready to spend.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Points placed into talents you can't use to remain on the skill tree for those you do want is something we all have to put up with and its okay to do so. I'd suggest you consider getting the Fast skills from the swaschbuckler school as well, being able to move around the board more freely is always nice to do even if you can teleport.

Ensign
Dec 03, 2008
Thanks guys.

I decided to go with the Swashbuckler because I looked closely at the buffs and agreed with what feedback I was getting. I got the Stabby Weapons upgrade in preparation for Fast.

Fiery Ronan Davis

Now a level 24 Witchdoctor

Ensign
Jul 23, 2010
I chose swashbuckler
I like how you can sneak around and use stabby weapons. My little char on another mmo was a spell caster with a dager like weapon and so I believe this might work out as well for this game.

Ensign
Oct 18, 2012
I am a Musketeer. What subclass shoul I be going for?

Also can anyone tell me more detailed info on how to read the power card icons?

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I just made me a musketeer as well. I love how they carry rifles, so beautiful.

I am going full into Swashbuckler. I like the Rough talents, and will enjoy the benefits of long distance walking, obstacle jumping, and going stealth.

I suppose, ideally, you could invest in the privateer class. The Tough talents and the healing spell will become useful.

Community Leader
My Witchdoctor trained Privateer up until he got Refresh (group heal).
I didnt find any of the additional talents helpful.

Honestly, I havent found ANY additional class to be further helpful to my Witchdoctor.
He is now level 50 has had no problems with any of the game, has completed he quest line, and has several practice points waiting for a class to come along, or change in a fashion that will he of use to him.

I see a number of the recommendations, but havent seen any reason why I would have pursued those options. I've tried Swashbuckler, but only useful talent here was the ability to hide. Most of the muskateer stuff I found didnt help, as it required me to lose my Staffy weapon which wasnt going to happen. Didnt see anything helpful on the buccaneer menu either.

I am hoping that if they implement some decent combo weapons for Witchdoctors, that maybe selection of an additional subclass may make more sense.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Nov 04, 2012
So with a privateer sub class for witchdoctor.. Question.. are there any light armors with will? Guess I should have researched this before picking privateer sub class but it seemed nice to have the heal of course.

Petty Officer
Nov 28, 2008
Dr Zeppers on Nov 16, 2012 wrote:
My Witchdoctor trained Privateer up until he got Refresh (group heal).
I didnt find any of the additional talents helpful.

Honestly, I havent found ANY additional class to be further helpful to my Witchdoctor.
He is now level 50 has had no problems with any of the game, has completed he quest line, and has several practice points waiting for a class to come along, or change in a fashion that will he of use to him.

I see a number of the recommendations, but havent seen any reason why I would have pursued those options. I've tried Swashbuckler, but only useful talent here was the ability to hide. Most of the muskateer stuff I found didnt help, as it required me to lose my Staffy weapon which wasnt going to happen. Didnt see anything helpful on the buccaneer menu either.

I am hoping that if they implement some decent combo weapons for Witchdoctors, that maybe selection of an additional subclass may make more sense.
My sentiments exactly. I even trained up to group heal then undid that choice. There is absolutely nothing that really compliments the witchdoctor class. That is the sole reason I started this thread. I need insight. I HAD to be missing something. Seems Im not the only one.

Yes, 2 extra movement comes in handy on occasion.. but I have teleport and as a ranged person.. I really just dont move around the board all that much.

Extra health is helpful.. but at the level Im at now, they hit for 250. An extra 10 hp then extra 100 (I think) for the next level doesnt even help a full hit.

Training in other weapons is useless as I havent run out of spells yet. My attack spells do waaaaay more damage than any staff Ive had in the game so far. The hoodoo bonuses to spells far exceed the stat bonuses from wisdom for the staff. If I actually use my staff, its more of a whimsical passing just to see different effects. Yes at level 1 you use it allot but that changes.

Armor is all but useless. Yes it gives me more armor, at the expense or resistance. So I lower on to get the other. both attack types come up in every battle except a few that you just have to know your strengths. Plus, Im a crown player and use crown gear. The ONLY choice I have is light armor for witchdoctor. The others are all class specific so even if I trained in it, I couldnt use it. That coupled with the fact that drop armor of the different types (good stuff) doesnt offer abilities that a witchdoctor uses unless I change weapons. (see above paragraph)

I was just hoping there was a strategy of (take 2 of this and 3 of that and 6 of the other and they combine to make this really nice combination).. or something like that.

Ensign
Dec 03, 2008
I need the community's help again.

I started training up my Privateer and am now faced with the decision of which subclass to choose. I just can't decide between Buccaneer, Swashbuckler and Musketeer. I like the Musketeer traps and AoE attacks but the Swashbuckler's damage upgrades and the Buccaneer's abilities are very enticing.

Here we are again....

Ensign
May 29, 2011
jdyer199 on Nov 23, 2012 wrote:
I need the community's help again.

I started training up my Privateer and am now faced with the decision of which subclass to choose. I just can't decide between Buccaneer, Swashbuckler and Musketeer. I like the Musketeer traps and AoE attacks but the Swashbuckler's damage upgrades and the Buccaneer's abilities are very enticing.

Here we are again....
I can help with this. I have a lvl 50 privateer( and lvl 23 musketeer ).

What I did was first I invested in witch doctor, very useful. Things like juju and the damage absorb skull and even ghostwail are useful.( If your a "play it safe" privateer like me ) After training all the witchdoctor spells, I invested in some swash. I trained sneak attack and hide in the shadows. ( Also super useful for a privateer, especially sneak attack ) Hide in the shadows really got me out of some tough spots at moments, so I'd deinitely train swash if I were you. I didnt on the other hand train back stab. It just didnt seem useful to me.( completely your choice to train it ) After that, I decided to train buccanner. I got the increase strength spell, mighty strike, and tritons song. The increase strength spell wont be useful all the time, but its decent. Mighty strike isnt a lot of damage, but its 2x walking, so it helps get you across the field. Now, tritons song is GREAT. ( block 25% of attacks for five turns. ) We privateers have great armor and block rating, with tritons song, esprit de corps, and battle zeal, ( battle zeal is plus 50% accuracy and dodge said rat beard ) It makes me feel invincible for 5 turns. ( incase anyone doesnt know, tritons song doesnt resist damage, it blocks 25% of attacks that you encounter)

Though in the end I still have one point left not knowing what to do with it. I'm just going to wait till pvp comes out to spend it, or the next world update.

My 8,000,000,000 dollars,

Quick mycin ashburn.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I now have a level 45 swashbuckler, and actually totally reset and redistributed my talents.

I trained all the way up to Rouse. I did not train any further than that, Refresh is not that powerful, and some of my companions can heal on top of me. You spend a LOT of points in the privateer class just to get Refresh.

What I have done is spend a lot of points in the Witchdoctor class, for the resistance, and the powers boost.

Now, I will train my last practice point (I am assuming I get it at 50) into buccaneer for the Buccaneer's strike.

Point is here, I trained in the other schools not necessarily for abilities and powers anymore. I trained in them for the passive talents and resistance.

As a Witchdoctor, I'd probably train in Swashbuckler, simply for the Rough talents. I'd train in buccaneer simply for the armor talents. And then I'd train in Privateeer a little simply for the Tough talents. And the Rouse. Perhaps with a Witchdoctor's natural power strength, I'd probably train up to Refresh.

I plan on making a musketeer. Actually, that musketeer has already been made, and the tree I am training under is Privateer for Rouse. Then Swashbuckler for the Rough talents. Or movement/jump, whichever comes along with it. I will train under Witchdoctor as well for the resistance and powers boost, and then back under Privateer for the Tough.

Not to mention, the different weapon boosts will also stack on top of each other if the weapon you wield is a combo weapon. For example, I have the +2, +6, and +12 stabby bonuses. I also have the +2 and +6 slashy bonuse from Privateer. If I had a stabby/slashy weapon (even a slashy/stabby would work) I would get a total weapon bonus of +2, +6, +12, +2, and +6. Not a huge damage increase, but better damage than not having had that bonus.

At the moment, I carry pure stabby, but I like knowing I get the extra +8 total damage boost if I had Stabby/Slashy.