Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A lot of my in game friends are upset

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
I feel the need to chime in again.

I can certainly understand decreasing the amount of gold from the 'farming' areas in Haunted Skyway, as they did drop a LOT of gold. But, gold is quickly spent, buying clothing gear, ship gear, ships, housing items, houses, training tomes, and whatever else may come up now, or in the future for the game.

Training tomes for companions are 5,100 at level 50. It takes 4 tomes to level one companion up (if you can no longer use one tome per level). That's 20,400 gold for ONE companion to get to level 50. Considering there are about 22+ companions per pirate class (some have more than 22 that they get in the game), that's a LOT of gold to obtain.

Mooshu might be a better place to get gold, however, there are many areas and battles that drop nothing or very little. I was in a battle with Black Hand Monks, and I received 3 chests. 2 chests were empty and one had 49 gold. Battles with Tengu Sorcerers end up with NO chests dropped at all.

You never know what you're going to get. It can be 1-1000+ gold in a chest, or nothing. The higher gold received is few and far between. I'm trying to keep my companions leveled up, while trying to keep my clothing gear and ship gear as good as I can get it, because of the battles. I've farmed for hundreds of hours, selling what I can (for the little amount of gold I receive), just to keep up with the cost of items and difficult enemies.

It would be really nice if there were a few places to farm for gold, like what we had in Haunted Skyway, which is not at the end of the game, because it would give people a chance at mid-level to farm for items they desperately need as they progress.

If the gold rewards are not upped, then the cost of items need to be readjusted accordingly.

Thanks!

Developer
Yes, we will also be fixing the low/no loot drops, as well as improving the quality of gear-loot across the game. This is a significant undertaking and must wait for an appropriate patch window.

As for raising your companions all the way up to the cap at level 50, this is a purely optional pursuit that you have chosen to undertake-- a "cherry on top" accomplishment involving a significant amount of effort.

Community Leader
Ratbeard on Nov 13, 2012 wrote:
Yes, we will also be fixing the low/no loot drops, as well as improving the quality of gear-loot across the game. This is a significant undertaking and must wait for an appropriate patch window.

As for raising your companions all the way up to the cap at level 50, this is a purely optional pursuit that you have chosen to undertake-- a "cherry on top" accomplishment involving a significant amount of effort.
We can appreciate your efforts.
Understand the customer perspective though. Your fixing the bugs that benefit the player (so they no longer benefit the player), and leaving (for now) the bugs that work against them and continue to work against them. It doesnt reflect a very fair friendly aire of service providing. Is been a few weeks, and several updates since the issue with the Hermit Crab companion had been acknowledged, its still broken.

Looking forward to these future loot table fixes for sure. Thank you.
I would hope that you would encourage those that have finished the provided content to find other "cherry on top" accomplishments to continue having fun and keeping busy while waiting for a content update instead of considering cancelling subs until new content is available. With the loot tables as they are now, it would require more than a significant amount of effort to get all your companions to level 50. I was lucky and had experience from beta that helped me manage companions quite well. Prior to the loot table corrections, I had been able to obtain enough gold to complete this on my biggest pirate, even then it required significant effort, hours of farming (multiple days in a row), etc. Knowing what effort it took before is how I know what your calling "significant" now what appears to me to be a somewhat unsurmountable undertaking. At least not without turning the game into a grind... which will quickly wear on many players and send them elsewheres.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Jul 08, 2010
Ratbeard on Nov 13, 2012 wrote:

I don't think the Developers Ideas and the Players ideas of the game are meshing very well here. Allow me to explain a bit from my (The Players) Perspective.

If I want to keep all my companions (10 as of this moment) level in sync with my own level 15 and I farm gold non-stop at Fin Dorsal By the time I level up all my companion to 15 I will trip a level and be 16. Players see this as a bit Excessive. From reading you posts its implied heavily that Your not supposed to bother to keep your companions as the same level as you however In-game this is not communicated well. Especially with the pretty hefty ramp in difficulty as we hit Monquista it feels to complete fights in a reasonable time you have to have your crew as the same level as your. Also though this may just be me it feels our Pirate is much weaker compared to a companion of the same level. More so then ever if they get a early promotion. Kobe and is Crown Counterpart will Vastly out deal my Swashbuckler in damage most of the time thanks to his Multiple Epic talents. Because of this we as players often feel very obligated to dump all or most of our gold into keeping companions leveled as much as possible. Now if this is not the signal the Developers are trying to send you may want to change up the balance of the game a bit then to put more focus on the Pirate not the Companions.

Also they are a few Balance issues at the top of the game anyway. For example the level 50 cap that PCs and Companions have is broken by Crown Companions who are bought at Fifty and any other companion who is recruited at the ending levels. Again this implies that if you want to have the "Strongest" companions in the game you need to farm allot throughout the game. In fact if you are a True Min-Maxer the absolute best solution in the game is to farm to level 50 on Skull Island (Yes yes your looking at 100s of hours probably and who is going to do that >.>) then go through the game getting the rest of your companions who will all now break the level 50 barrier.

The goal in Most MMOs is to constantly become more and more powerful. And while pirate101 has a well-done storyline ultimately at the end-game its all about the gear grind. And companions are probably the most Important pieces of gear the player has. Add the fact that EVERY companion has a chance (however small) of being summoned Players are going to be a lot of emphasis on building these companions up. Balancing the amount of time needed to grind out gold for these most important pieces of gear is something developers are saying should take a LARGE amount of time where many players believe it to be excessive especially given the fact we NEVER want to see some companions that french crab is annoying but I don't want him to gimp me in combat. And that what alot of us are afraid not so much being not the strongest but being hurt in combat by having that .0001% chance of having the worst companion summoned.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Thomas Stormweaver on Nov 12, 2012 wrote:
Just to be certain, you are at Hang 'em right?
Hey Pzannucci.

No, I am at the Duck with no name fight. To be more specific, my mom received an Armadillo pet after about an hour or so fighting the Duck with no name. (In Arroyo Grande). That was right before the loot update. I have farmed that duck now for the last 6 days for 2+ hours each time, and never seen that Armadillo pet again. I really, REALLY want that darn pet.

But, since the loot update, I am no longer sure if that Armadillo dropped from the Duck with no name or not.

If someone is able to confirm the drop for me, that is all the information I would need. I don't mind the drop being ultra rare, but I want to make sure that it still drops to begin with.

Ensign
Mar 17, 2011
I agree with the lot here.

1) it was more fun to add more enemies when the group of pirates joined in, it also seemed more "pirate like" activity. Now its very boring, because just the player joins after the first round.

2) there really are no good places for gold drops, and at level 51 (having finished the current story line), I have yet to find a battle that will drop even 5k or 6k. The very last sets of battles on the Turtle yielded maybe 2k - not even enough to buy a single companion training point at that level. Very disappointing.

Cheers,
Evan Ironside

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Wow, 2k gold per fight? Can't wait to get there!

Ensign
Oct 08, 2012
I am a bit upset over this issue as well. I don't care about getting large amounts of gold, but I do want to feel rewarded for continuing to be your customer and playing the game on a subscription basis. For that to happen, rewards in the game need to go up along with the level of our pirates. It irks me that I am still wearing the clothes I farmed from Fin Dorsal in Skull Island. It upsets and insults me that after the biggest fight of my game so far, the one with Deacon, I got NOTHING in my chests but one gold pieces. It was a huge let down. I don't even have an idea of who to farm or any desire to farm bosses beyond Fin Dorsal. I get the most out of him still and I am level 40. This is not a good thing. Even if you go back and fix Deacon, I can never get my first fight with him back. This disappoints me.

Ensign
Jul 29, 2011
I'm in cool ranch and I'm still get plenty of chests that are empty or have only one gold. It doesn't make sense to be getting 1 gold or nothing at all from battles that have enemies in the mid 20's. I think the developers really should take a look at their priorities when it comes to what they nerf/buff. If they decide to nerf something like gold drops from certain places they should also compensate by fixing bugs such as the enemies dropping 1 gold or nothing. This should of been done in the same update instead of nerfing everything in one patch putting off the bug fixes for a later time. I did a battle just now and got 1 gold, 1 gold, 2 gold from the chests. If I wanted to be getting that amount of gold I would go farm troggies on skull island in the starter area.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
telemwillP on Nov 23, 2012 wrote:
I am a bit upset over this issue as well. I don't care about getting large amounts of gold, but I do want to feel rewarded for continuing to be your customer and playing the game on a subscription basis. For that to happen, rewards in the game need to go up along with the level of our pirates. It irks me that I am still wearing the clothes I farmed from Fin Dorsal in Skull Island. It upsets and insults me that after the biggest fight of my game so far, the one with Deacon, I got NOTHING in my chests but one gold pieces. It was a huge let down. I don't even have an idea of who to farm or any desire to farm bosses beyond Fin Dorsal. I get the most out of him still and I am level 40. This is not a good thing. Even if you go back and fix Deacon, I can never get my first fight with him back. This disappoints me.
TelemwillP, the Duck with no Name fight is a good step up from Fin Dorsal.

I must have fought him at least a thousand times by now. Gold drop is anywhere from 70-770 per fight. A record low I believe was about 70 gold, while my record high was 776 gold. On average, gold seems to be about 250 or so per fight. (Assuming you fight him solo, you get even more gold if you have a second person with you, but that only seems to slow down the speed at which you can kill him.)

Also, the drops you sell will give you a range of 70-200 gold per item.

At level 39, it took 3.9 bubbles of experience to fill my backpack up to 119/120, and after selling all drops I ended up with 30,299 gold. Now of course, that did take at least an hour, so, it is not exactly a quick thing.

But, since the Duck with no Name is a fight similar to Fin Dorsal, you can kill the Duck within 2 turns and be done with it. Overall, the Duck with no Name fight so far yields the most gold/minute so far.

Ensign
Dec 10, 2011
Just my 2 cents worth.

My highest character hasnt made it to the area in discussion but Im seeing this from a different point.

There is no way to trade stuff to players and there is no way to pass or trade gold, even to yourself. Soooo, what does it really matter if one character spends hours making gold coins, even to max it at 100k? Is that so bad? There is no economy to ruin. Its only on his sheet for his use.

The only thing to buy is junk armor from the stores that can be found (and better) fron every chest in a regular fight. Or - you buy housing items and try to invest your time and personality into the house, of which no one except friends can see. And then, its just for looking at. They cant actually take anything or benefit from your work. Or 3rd - level up your companions. Its already over 2k per point to buy book and Im only just into the 30's. I have no idea what it will be at 50. Maybe 4k each? Based on that total guess, you could gring gold to max and still only buy 25 tomes.. which probably doesnt even give you 1 per companion based on what Ive been reading about too many companions threads.

Am I missing something? Is there something else to spend gold on that Ive totally missed? I dont do housing fluff and I have better gear from drops, it cant be given to your lower levels to help with books, so basically its a useless stat with the exception of companion training.

Where am I wrong on my thinking? What have I missed?

its over 5k at level 50 for a book :(

Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
Slick Suri on Nov 25, 2012 wrote:
Just my 2 cents worth.

My highest character hasnt made it to the area in discussion but Im seeing this from a different point.

There is no way to trade stuff to players and there is no way to pass or trade gold, even to yourself. Soooo, what does it really matter if one character spends hours making gold coins, even to max it at 100k? Is that so bad? There is no economy to ruin. Its only on his sheet for his use.

The only thing to buy is junk armor from the stores that can be found (and better) fron every chest in a regular fight. Or - you buy housing items and try to invest your time and personality into the house, of which no one except friends can see. And then, its just for looking at. They cant actually take anything or benefit from your work. Or 3rd - level up your companions. Its already over 2k per point to buy book and Im only just into the 30's. I have no idea what it will be at 50. Maybe 4k each? Based on that total guess, you could gring gold to max and still only buy 25 tomes.. which probably doesnt even give you 1 per companion based on what Ive been reading about too many companions threads.

Am I missing something? Is there something else to spend gold on that Ive totally missed? I dont do housing fluff and I have better gear from drops, it cant be given to your lower levels to help with books, so basically its a useless stat with the exception of companion training.

Where am I wrong on my thinking? What have I missed?

its over 5k at level 50 for a book :(
Upgrading ships and ship equipment as you work through the game is another big gold investment. Housing may seem like fluff to you, but history tells us that W101 has the occasional contest to earn goodies through decorating etc. I anticipate the same here in P101. And some people actually enjoy the "fluff" in the game. It allows them an outlet for their creativity.

Merciless Mariah Moone (L50 )
Bloody Scarlet Everhart (L26 )
Corrupt Cole Chamberlain (L23 )

Petty Officer
Nov 28, 2008
Well, apparently people buy house stuff with theirgold also. Everyone needs coin for ships and ship mods too.

I posted earlier about not understanding all the fuss but I think it was mistaken. My message was to the devs, not the players. Since there is no economy and you cant even trade gold to yourself.. what does it matter if they have a full gold chest??

So if a player wanted to spend hours farming gold to raise their companions level.. so what? It doesnt ruin the game at all. It only shows pride in their character. Taking ownership as you were. That has to do with the housing decorations also. does it really matter to the game as a whole if the hardcore players want to spend hours on end farming gold and moving furniture? Just leave the gold farming alon and let people make some money. It doesnt hurt the game at all.

Petty Officer
Nov 28, 2008
Just to pile in with some anecdotal evidence.. I am lvl 50 fighting level 47 with a boss involved. There were 5 opponents counting the boss. The 5 chests that dropped were 1,1,150 (boss),0 and 0. So.. I got 152 gold from that fight. It is a repeatable fight and not all results were the as poor but if it can happen at that level,, its broken.

That wasnt the oly fight of several that yielded 0's and 1's from chests but it was that one that pushed me to coming here. There is almost always 1 chest that yields 1 or 0 in about every fight. Not every one.. but allots.

Ensign
Oct 08, 2012
Shiningfantasia on Nov 23, 2012 wrote:
TelemwillP, the Duck with no Name fight is a good step up from Fin Dorsal.

I must have fought him at least a thousand times by now. Gold drop is anywhere from 70-770 per fight. A record low I believe was about 70 gold, while my record high was 776 gold. On average, gold seems to be about 250 or so per fight. (Assuming you fight him solo, you get even more gold if you have a second person with you, but that only seems to slow down the speed at which you can kill him.)

Also, the drops you sell will give you a range of 70-200 gold per item.

At level 39, it took 3.9 bubbles of experience to fill my backpack up to 119/120, and after selling all drops I ended up with 30,299 gold. Now of course, that did take at least an hour, so, it is not exactly a quick thing.

But, since the Duck with no Name is a fight similar to Fin Dorsal, you can kill the Duck within 2 turns and be done with it. Overall, the Duck with no Name fight so far yields the most gold/minute so far.
If you notice, I wasn't talking about gold. I am still wearing the clothes I farmed from Fin Dorsal. We should be getting better drops not just in gold, but in other gear as well. I am not too worried about the amount of gold, except that it should be higher as ranks go up and the one gold drops need to stop. The one gold glitch hits me very often! For the deacon fight, it was all I got in every chest which is not cool. I really would like to find some gear with both higher stats and better spells attached.Thanks for the tip! I will try and farm the Duck. It is helpful to know what is working well for other.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
eveque67 on Nov 28, 2012 wrote:
Just to pile in with some anecdotal evidence.. I am lvl 50 fighting level 47 with a boss involved. There were 5 opponents counting the boss. The 5 chests that dropped were 1,1,150 (boss),0 and 0. So.. I got 152 gold from that fight. It is a repeatable fight and not all results were the as poor but if it can happen at that level,, its broken.

That wasnt the oly fight of several that yielded 0's and 1's from chests but it was that one that pushed me to coming here. There is almost always 1 chest that yields 1 or 0 in about every fight. Not every one.. but allots.
I've found some places that offer NO rewards at all

De Monte ships in Monquista - your quest is to get fruit from them. NO rewards from destroying the ship

Tengu Sorcerers - Mooshu mob - Very tough to battle, and when you win .... NO treasure chests as rewards

Tower of Sheng dungeon - Valley of the Titans - Mooshu - NO rewards after you beat the boss and his minions.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
I barely agree with any of these people. KI did not do ANYTHING wrong. They did not kill farming nor did they make it very hard. I agree with the staff who posted on this thread that the enemies in Cool ranch should not be dropping more than enemies in mooshu. Now for all you people short on gold, check your inventory. Yes i agree that training tomes are very expensive at level 50 (5100 gold), and thats fine by me because i am just aiming to get all my companions to level 47 and my first companion to level 50. Thats just selling a bunch of gear with a couple hours work. A full inventory of stuff gets me around 20k gold (mooshu stuff). Honestly the gold drops might be low somewhere, but its fine for people who give effort.

Community Leader
BrynnerOfReign on Nov 28, 2012 wrote:
I've found some places that offer NO rewards at all

De Monte ships in Monquista - your quest is to get fruit from them. NO rewards from destroying the ship

Tengu Sorcerers - Mooshu mob - Very tough to battle, and when you win .... NO treasure chests as rewards

Tower of Sheng dungeon - Valley of the Titans - Mooshu - NO rewards after you beat the boss and his minions.
Just fought the Tengu Sorcerers last night for the first time and noticed this as well. Glitch?

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Bosun
May 10, 2010
Dead Eye Luke on Nov 29, 2012 wrote:
I barely agree with any of these people. KI did not do ANYTHING wrong. They did not kill farming nor did they make it very hard. I agree with the staff who posted on this thread that the enemies in Cool ranch should not be dropping more than enemies in mooshu. Now for all you people short on gold, check your inventory. Yes i agree that training tomes are very expensive at level 50 (5100 gold), and thats fine by me because i am just aiming to get all my companions to level 47 and my first companion to level 50. Thats just selling a bunch of gear with a couple hours work. A full inventory of stuff gets me around 20k gold (mooshu stuff). Honestly the gold drops might be low somewhere, but its fine for people who give effort.
You barely agree? KI did not do anything wrong?

Fin Dorsal, a level 3 fight, drops between 66 and 126 gold for 1 player solo fight. Skull Island Boss

As others have posted, some fights offer no rewards, even in mooshu!

Some offer 126 gold for a level 35 boss? In cool Ranch and it can be the same in mooshu, how is that not wrong?

Sorry, but there has to be some type of gradual increase in gold rewards as we level up and get to higher worlds, not having chances at 1 gold or even empty gold chests in fights in Mooshu.

Sorry, but to fix good gold drops first, without fixing all the bad gold drops, KI did do something wrong in my opinion, that is not good customer service, it seems more like a punishment in my opinion.

Administrator
Darth JT on Nov 29, 2012 wrote:
You barely agree? KI did not do anything wrong?

Fin Dorsal, a level 3 fight, drops between 66 and 126 gold for 1 player solo fight. Skull Island Boss

As others have posted, some fights offer no rewards, even in mooshu!

Some offer 126 gold for a level 35 boss? In cool Ranch and it can be the same in mooshu, how is that not wrong?

Sorry, but there has to be some type of gradual increase in gold rewards as we level up and get to higher worlds, not having chances at 1 gold or even empty gold chests in fights in Mooshu.

Sorry, but to fix good gold drops first, without fixing all the bad gold drops, KI did do something wrong in my opinion, that is not good customer service, it seems more like a punishment in my opinion.
From what I'm seeing on paper, darth, the next major update should help this situation greatly! Let's review this again after the update and see how things stand.

Thanks for your patience!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
telemwillP on Nov 28, 2012 wrote:
If you notice, I wasn't talking about gold. I am still wearing the clothes I farmed from Fin Dorsal. We should be getting better drops not just in gold, but in other gear as well. I am not too worried about the amount of gold, except that it should be higher as ranks go up and the one gold drops need to stop. The one gold glitch hits me very often! For the deacon fight, it was all I got in every chest which is not cool. I really would like to find some gear with both higher stats and better spells attached.Thanks for the tip! I will try and farm the Duck. It is helpful to know what is working well for other.
Yes. The Duck being similar to Fin Dorsal, will drop a huge variety of equipment and weapons for various schools to use. I banked many items for my Swashbuckler, and Musketeer, just from that boss.
Not to mention the fight drops three different pets!

Petty Officer
Nov 28, 2008
Shiningfantasia on Nov 30, 2012 wrote:
Yes. The Duck being similar to Fin Dorsal, will drop a huge variety of equipment and weapons for various schools to use. I banked many items for my Swashbuckler, and Musketeer, just from that boss.
Not to mention the fight drops three different pets!
Would you pls remind me where the Duke of Death fight is at? Its was some time ago and I didnt write down the details. Thank you

Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
One-Eyed Jack on Nov 30, 2012 wrote:
From what I'm seeing on paper, darth, the next major update should help this situation greatly! Let's review this again after the update and see how things stand.

Thanks for your patience!
Can you tell us when that update should be?

Ensign
Apr 15, 2010
My friend is really upset and so am i be cause everytime she logs in her computerstarts getting glitches and hacktools and some other stuff so she says she wont play it any more and i really want her to keep playing pirate101 but she cant! If KI could plz do something about this Thanks

Ensign
Jul 04, 2009
Both item and coin drops are harder I think personally. I also think your nautical level should go up faster the higher level the ship you're up against is. :|