Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Thoughts on the Ranked PvP/Regatta update

AuthorMessage
Commodore
May 31, 2009
First of all, I would like to say that this update is a fantastic addition to Pirate101. I know we all want more story, but as Professor Falmea said, they're still working on it. My intention for this thread is not to complain, "This is good, but where's the story?", it is about everyone's opinions and favorite parts of this update.

I decided to give ranked PvP a try despite hardly ever participating in practice PvP. I won 3 of the four 1v1 matches I played; I lost to a witchdoctor due to a silly mistake. I do not think Fog is the overwhelming problem people are making it out to be. There are ways to combat it-- you just have to be careful. I will take a shot at the Battle Royale soon and post back with my thoughts on that. The concept seems very fun, though I don't know how well I would hold out in a free-for-all environment.

The Pirate's Regatta is an interesting experience. In a word: fun. I went through twice, once with a team of 3 (one decided to walk out as soon as we entered, silly them) and another time with a full group. We received quite a chunk of scrip and gold, and some of the Wizard City furniture was kind enough to drop. I know that there are 5, possibly more, pets to be had here- a Bull Pup, a Mutt Squawker, a Shellfish Crawlie, a Sand Shark, and a Sea Foam Spectre. Hopefully they will be kind enough to drop for me!

The new scrip items available for purchase in the Brawlin' Hall are unique and certainly worth the buy. The art books are very cool to browse through, and who doesn't love pet sharks? The apex sharks of their respective classes are definitely worth the buy as they cannot be morphed over, and each one (except for the privateer shark; it has bladestorm) comes with a unique, never-before-seen grant. Relentless, first strike, burst fire, and witch hunter come with the buccaneer, swashbuckler, musketeer, and witchdoctor apex sharks, respectively. What this means for the established petnome down the road, I don't know yet, but there will be some changes and more difficulty in morphing for our perfect pet. The weapons also seem to be a wise purchase if you can raise your rank and collect enough scrip. They have enough power to rival the Nefarious weapons, in my opinion.

The increased companion epics were incredibly needed and have made mediocre companions much more useful. I have no arguments with this decision as it brings less loved companions back into play to show off their true, previously hidden power.

With many new pets and hybrids added to the game, I'm excited to see what comes out of the Morphing Tent, as well as any hints *cough* from Decius.

As I am nearly out of characters, I'll cut this off here. I'd love to see your thoughts and opinions on this update as well, so post back if you feel inclined to do so!

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
Community Leader
Hints would be nice for a purring hybrid. I know a lot of us really want to see a kitty or feline hybrid

Need help with Ships, Companions, Pets, Gear? Pirate101 Skyways has guides for everything that you can think of. Click here to visit our site today!
Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Aug 5, 2015 wrote:
First of all, I would like to say that this update is a fantastic addition to Pirate101. I know we all want more story, but as Professor Falmea said, they're still working on it. My intention for this thread is not to complain, "This is good, but where's the story?", it is about everyone's opinions and favorite parts of this update.

I decided to give ranked PvP a try despite hardly ever participating in practice PvP. I won 3 of the four 1v1 matches I played; I lost to a witchdoctor due to a silly mistake. I do not think Fog is the overwhelming problem people are making it out to be. There are ways to combat it-- you just have to be careful. I will take a shot at the Battle Royale soon and post back with my thoughts on that. The concept seems very fun, though I don't know how well I would hold out in a free-for-all environment.

The Pirate's Regatta is an interesting experience. In a word: fun. I went through twice, once with a team of 3 (one decided to walk out as soon as we entered, silly them) and another time with a full group. We received quite a chunk of scrip and gold, and some of the Wizard City furniture was kind enough to drop. I know that there are 5, possibly more, pets to be had here- a Bull Pup, a Mutt Squawker, a Shellfish Crawlie, a Sand Shark, and a Sea Foam Spectre. Hopefully they will be kind enough to drop for me!

The new scrip items available for purchase in the Brawlin' Hall are unique and certainly worth the buy. The art books are very cool to browse through, and who doesn't love pet sharks? The apex sharks of their respective classes are definitely worth the buy as they cannot be morphed over, and each one (except for the privateer shark; it has bladestorm) comes with a unique, never-before-seen grant. Relentless, first strike, burst fire, and witch hunter come with the buccaneer, swashbuckler, musketeer, and witchdoctor apex sharks, respectively. What this means for the established petnome down the road, I don't know yet, but there will be some changes and more difficulty in morphing for our perfect pet. The weapons also seem to be a wise purchase if you can raise your rank and collect enough scrip. They have enough power to rival the Nefarious weapons, in my opinion.

The increased companion epics were incredibly needed and have made mediocre companions much more useful. I have no arguments with this decision as it brings less loved companions back into play to show off their true, previously hidden power.

With many new pets and hybrids added to the game, I'm excited to see what comes out of the Morphing Tent, as well as any hints *cough* from Decius.

As I am nearly out of characters, I'll cut this off here. I'd love to see your thoughts and opinions on this update as well, so post back if you feel inclined to do so!
I agree. Another amazing update from KI. Now that I've gotten my feet wet in ranked pvp, I agree that Fog is not the impossible foe people were making it out to be. So far the Nefarious Staff and the Beast Banner have given me much more difficulty than Black Fog.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Decius Duelmaster on Aug 6, 2015 wrote:
Asking for hints already?
Yes.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
MistyDragon13 on Aug 5, 2015 wrote:

I agree with ye 100% dear lass.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Commodore
May 31, 2009
After playing a few Battle Royale matches, I've come to a very simple conclusion.

I LOVE IT.

There is SO much to enjoy about this play style and even though you have to keep track of more enemies, it isn't an inconvenience. With the added benefit of your rank increasing even if you do lose in 2nd place, it becomes a very favorable option if you are not strong in 1v1. Plus, with a variety of classes competing, the win can go to anyone.

If you haven't given it a shot, I suggest doing so if you are able!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Aug 7, 2015 wrote:
After playing a few Battle Royale matches, I've come to a very simple conclusion.

I LOVE IT.

There is SO much to enjoy about this play style and even though you have to keep track of more enemies, it isn't an inconvenience. With the added benefit of your rank increasing even if you do lose in 2nd place, it becomes a very favorable option if you are not strong in 1v1. Plus, with a variety of classes competing, the win can go to anyone.

If you haven't given it a shot, I suggest doing so if you are able!
It's amazing to me how your attitude has changed to ranked PVP, you were, if anything, more against competing than I .

Commodore
May 31, 2009
anecorbie on Aug 7, 2015 wrote:
It's amazing to me how your attitude has changed to ranked PVP, you were, if anything, more against competing than I .
Yeah, yeah, don't remind me...or rather do and help me find my sense again. Maddening, being able to do something I previously loathed with a passion and actually liking it.

I guess it's just nice to have an enemy that thinks and makes decisions for itself. Another person sitting behind a screen uses strategy and skill to try to overcome you rather than an AI enemy just walking blindly to their doom. PvP has a flavor to it that I'm beginning to enjoy, though as I rise (slowly, of course) through the ranks I am finding that it is more competitive and there is less enjoyment to be had. That is to be expected, of course, but I wish people would find their sportsmanship and be gracious winners and losers.