Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The Grizzly Beast Pack and Dino Pack

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 16, 2012
My friends, I am here to let a little bit of steam out. I have poured a COMBINED $200+ into both the Grizzly Beast pack and the Tribal Crew pack, and after many hardships.........I have only received 2 dino companions and NO bears. My grandmother, who recently gave me Crowns as a reward for washing her walls inside her house, is EXTREMELY outraged that what is depicted in the description of the packs ALMOST NEVER happens. 150,000+ crowns spent have only proved to be a waste of perfectly good money on odds that are simply impossible. I have seen DOZENS of people with all the bears and/or all the dinos, and they say they spent relatively few crowns to get them, some LESS than what I have spent so far! My grandmother has also said that the odds in the packs are rigged against players with more companions, from what she has seen. So, for someone who has 120 companion, it is possible I will never see another pack companion in my life. All together, I am FORCED to advice AGAINST buying the packs. I expect to catch A LOT of flak from this post, so if you are either offended by my post or think my thinking on this is wrong, do not hesitate to speak you mind, as I believe everyone should have their own say. Thanks for reading this.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
warriorscreed on Nov 7, 2014 wrote:
My friends, I am here to let a little bit of steam out. I have poured a COMBINED $200+ into both the Grizzly Beast pack and the Tribal Crew pack, and after many hardships.........I have only received 2 dino companions and NO bears. My grandmother, who recently gave me Crowns as a reward for washing her walls inside her house, is EXTREMELY outraged that what is depicted in the description of the packs ALMOST NEVER happens. 150,000+ crowns spent have only proved to be a waste of perfectly good money on odds that are simply impossible. I have seen DOZENS of people with all the bears and/or all the dinos, and they say they spent relatively few crowns to get them, some LESS than what I have spent so far! My grandmother has also said that the odds in the packs are rigged against players with more companions, from what she has seen. So, for someone who has 120 companion, it is possible I will never see another pack companion in my life. All together, I am FORCED to advice AGAINST buying the packs. I expect to catch A LOT of flak from this post, so if you are either offended by my post or think my thinking on this is wrong, do not hesitate to speak you mind, as I believe everyone should have their own say. Thanks for reading this.
Buying packs, essentially is gambling, no doubt about it, but to accuse KingsIsle of 'rigging' packs against those who have a lot of companions is going too far! Many players have all these companions, some have spent a few crowns, many others have spent quite a lot. Companion numbers have nothing to do with it. It is a one in one hundred chance every time you buy a pack. That doesn't mean that you buy one hundred packs, you get a companion.
You're angry and frustrated, so why not stop buying packs? And let those who wish to gamble on them.

Captain
Jul 16, 2014
Ahoy!

I'm sorry you seem to be having a bit of bad luck.

As Anecorbie describes, the number of companions you have does not affect your chance of getting a companion in a pack. It's all random and with each pack you open your chances are equal.

*Bonnie Anne, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Bonnie Anne on Nov 7, 2014 wrote:
Ahoy!

I'm sorry you seem to be having a bit of bad luck.

As Anecorbie describes, the number of companions you have does not affect your chance of getting a companion in a pack. It's all random and with each pack you open your chances are equal.
Then hopefully my streak of bad luck ends soon! I still have high hopes that I will get a bear eventually! Or at least the standard.......I haven't gotten that either. Either way, I have had terrible luck with both packs, only getting 2 dinos after much work. Still, I am doing lots of chores for my grandma! I'll give it another try tonight, and report back with my findings! At least I am getting UBER pet snacks.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
anecorbie on Nov 7, 2014 wrote:
Buying packs, essentially is gambling, no doubt about it, but to accuse KingsIsle of 'rigging' packs against those who have a lot of companions is going too far! Many players have all these companions, some have spent a few crowns, many others have spent quite a lot. Companion numbers have nothing to do with it. It is a one in one hundred chance every time you buy a pack. That doesn't mean that you buy one hundred packs, you get a companion.
You're angry and frustrated, so why not stop buying packs? And let those who wish to gamble on them.
Yeah, and like I said, I knew I'd catch some flak, and maybe my accusation was a bit too hasty. I've always had high hopes for both packs, and I will trying again tonight. If I get one, then I will be SUPER happy!

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
anecorbie on Nov 7, 2014 wrote:
Actually, I DO have a question for ya, anecorbie. Was it CONFIRMED to be a 1% drop rate, or was it used as an example? I don't think I have gotten 100 packs yet, but I know that it will probably take more than that. I'll just think of it as Pokémon, where hunting for shiny Pokémon, AKA Pokémon with different colors than they should be, is intense. It is a 1 in 8192 chance to find a shiny, and I just found one a few days ago, my fourth! Hopefully my luck will turn! Those bears are far too powerful to forget about.......and I shall not give up! Sooner or later, one of those bears will be mine! Also anecorbie, like I said, my swift judgment may have been a bit too fast, as I was upset for having dropped another 18000 crowns trying to get a bear with no luck. That brings my total up to 50,000-60,000 crowns spent on it so far.

Captain
Jul 16, 2014
Actually, I DO have a question for ya, anecorbie. Was it CONFIRMED to be a 1% drop rate, or was it used as an example? I don't think I have gotten 100 packs yet, but I know that it will probably take more than that. I'll just think of it as Pokémon, where hunting for shiny Pokémon, AKA Pokémon with different colors than they should be, is intense. It is a 1 in 8192 chance to find a shiny, and I just found one a few days ago, my fourth! Hopefully my luck will turn! Those bears are far too powerful to forget about.......and I shall not give up! Sooner or later, one of those bears will be mine! Also anecorbie, like I said, my swift judgment may have been a bit too fast, as I was upset for having dropped another 18000 crowns trying to get a bear with no luck. That brings my total up to 50,000-60,000 crowns spent on it so far.
Ahoy!

We wouldn't tell exact drop rate percentages, so take the examples as estimations by players.

*Bonnie Anne, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
I have only 2 Tribal Crew companions and 0 Grizzly Beat companions, I'd say that the companions drop rate is around 1% since they are EPIC rarity, meaning they are the rarest available in the pack, not to mention that you spend 399 crowns on a pack and you might get a companion which I would personally say is worth 7,495 crowns, not to mention packs are OPTIONAL, I've spent ALLOT of crowns on packs as well but I always get something good, remember that packs aren't just for companions, I wouldn't say it's really gambling since you always get more than you spend in the form of in-game items which would cost well over 399 crowns if they were sold separately, although for me it seems that spending a whole bunch of crowns in a day isn't exactly going to help, my luck seems to rises with rarer items when I spend a few crowns every now and then, just don't spend all your crowns in a few days for the rarest thing, save those crowns and spend slowly XD I know the temptation is difficult to prevent and you may succumb to the chance of getting a companion, but remember that you are not alone, you have 2 Tribal Crew companions! More than probably the majority of players! If you hadn't already, you could've spent all those crowns on the crown shop companions and would've gotten all or most of them! XD good luck with future pack openings though!

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
WOOOOOOOT!!!! Consider my previous assumptions gone!!! With 18750 crowns, I just got 2 bears!!!! The Musketeer bear and the Witchdoctor bear.......along with the BATTLE STANDARD!!! Right before that, while we were getting the crowns, my grandma and I saw that my account had been 'flagged' for suspicious activity. After working around that, I got THREE of the best items in the pack!!!! KI, if you had a hand in this, THANK YOU for showing me mercy!!!!

Ensign
Jun 15, 2014
I had that luck too, but with many less crowns. I have yohr and doomhorn. I would LOVE to have Baar or Bohr.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
What a complete turnaround! Now it's . Congrats on getting your new companions!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Congrats on your change of luck. The loot rolls finally became, for a short time, Eva in your Fava.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Now BAAR has joined me!! 50% of the bears are mine......just three to go.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
warriorscreed on Nov 12, 2014 wrote:
Now BAAR has joined me!! 50% of the bears are mine......just three to go.
By the way, I do want to say that his voice is HILARIOUS!!!! Baar the Hippie Bear is awesome!!